• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 |OT2| Idly waiting for the Dog Days of Sabre

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Maybe it's because I've forgotten most of series 1, but I do feel Psycho Pass 2 is much better than the first series. Probably helps that they cut out all the quoting (though that didn't exactly help my planned reading list). That and of course Akane is how she should have been the whole time.

Psycho Pass 10

They keep going on about Sybyl's one flaw while seemly ignoring the many other flaws it has.

Twintails
I was sort of confused by the term "Girlyboy" but then I got it after the episode went on. I guess they didn't want to use a term that is considered offensive like "trap" but actually saying a crossdressing boy that looks like a girl doesn't exactly describe it and is a bit long. That aside, a decent episode with some funny moments and it sort of prolonged the plot point I figured would happen this episode
Soji gets trapped in his TailRed body

Yuki Yuna is a Hero - 10

KZXX5Ev.jpg
Sums it up well.

IF I KILL EVERYONE NO ONE HAS TO SUFFER! I am not sure this is the greatest of plan even if you do discover the entire universe is actually existing inside literal hell comprise entirely of creature out of kill humanity. Actually, hold that. Tougo might be onto something here. I'm really not sure what your other plan of action here is beside hoping you can give everyone a quick death rather than them suffering. Not to mention the situation their in is totally not sustainable.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The King of Braves: GaoGaiGar episode 18

I do enjoy the heavier sense of continuity this Brave series has over other incarnations.
The constant and unrelenting Zonder battles have been wearing down Guy to the breaking point, which seems to be this episode, as they enact a bit of misdirection to get him to use his Hell and Heaven technique on a false core which apparently has caused Neo-Tokyo to explode, or at least a section of it.
So far I would certainly put this above most in the Brave series.

Quasar

There were warnings on this page, you've only yourself to blame.

Have to admit I'm surprised by all the hate given how much I liked it (and people I discussed it with when it aired).

Hell I admired the newgame+ approach it took, which I don't think I'd seen before.

Shin Sekai Yori - 01

Haven't seen this since it originally aired, so I don't remember any details from last time. First thing I've got to say, this show feels really unique. Knowing that this is going to pay off is really exciting. The animation is superb, the voice acting is top notch, and the plot so far is unlike anything I've seen before. Characters all seem really worth investing, even the side characters.

Let's carry on.

Since you guys were talking about best Openings and Endings of 2014, here's mine.

Openings

Tokyo Ghoul
http://youtu.be/7aMOurgDB-o
This opening has God tier lyrics that actually describes Kaneki's struggle, which makes it a God like Opening.

Barakamon
http://youtu.be/_vvL3z3pAs0
Man does this opening hit me in the right spots, so fuckin good. It really makes me feel good, such an amazing opening.

Noragami
http://youtu.be/gWCnKoEgfP0
This Opening is really great, it just has that nice upbeat feeling. Damn listening to this opening is making me want a second season even if it means losing a bet :0

Endings

Tokyo Ghoul
http://youtu.be/kSkSvK6Zx_I
What makes this a great ending is the art. They are downright gorgeous.

Barakamon
http://youtu.be/pffJj1Bca1s
This ending is just straight up beautiful and the visuals are unique.

cajunator

Banned
Shin Sekai Yori - 01

Haven't seen this since it originally aired, so I don't remember any details from last time. First thing I've got to say, this show feels really unique. Knowing that this is going to pay off is really exciting. The animation is superb, the voice acting is top notch, and the plot so far is unlike anything I've seen before. Characters all seem really worth investing, even the side characters.

Let's carry on.

It is really quite unique.
Very atmospheric and foreboding. Just well executed for a majority of it. SOme inconsistencies in the art quality though.

Suzuka 13-20ish - MC still acting like a fuckwit. MC breaks up with childhood friend, but childhood friend still thinks things will work out in the future. Now Suzuka's best friend is getting friendly with the MC. I've seen this before. This ends with a boat and the MC's head in a duffle bag.

It is really quite unique.
Very atmospheric and foreboding. Just well executed for a majority of it. SOme inconsistencies in the art quality though.

Shin Sekai Yori- 02

Well I haven't noticed a drop in quality yet. More world building, more ominous occurrences, and more cat shadows.

One thing I have to say is that so far this show really likes to throw around huge date ranges, and it's really made me unable to grasp the connection between any of them, how they're supposed to tie to eachother, and what time frame the main story is supposed to be in. And when they go in and out of focus so much it kind of hurts my eyes. But I get why.

Psycho Pass 2 10

Hey remember Kogami?
Well here he is except not because Akane is just talking to herself like a crazy person. Why isn't her hue clouded? And did I miss something or did Kirito-kun know that Sibyl is just a bunch of brains? How did he know that?
Episode was just Akane explaining shit we already knew.
Next episode is the last one but there's no crazy dumb plan like Hyper Oats.

Shirobako 10

That director skill. Both in drawing and in drinking.
Follow your dreams and all that. Episode had a good message, I really like this cast of characters despite being only 10 episodes in and having a lot of characters. I'm glad this is 2cour to say the least.
Miyamori voice acting moe 2strong

Midonin

Read or Die the TV 15-17

Yomiko and Nancy are back! The reason why they're gone hasn't been fully disclosed, but they act the same as ever. A natural fit with the Paper Sisters, and the yuri level between Yomiko and Nenene is pretty strong. The heroes turning into fugitives is an angle I've seen before (like in Samurai Flamenco), but it feels more like an American action movie here. Sort of, I mean, you still have Anita being cute. That Fahrenheit 451 scene was too harsh to watch. Book-burning and Anita being moved to tears? Not cool.

Chocotto Sister Advent Calendar Day 11

"What's a suicide?"

I can't escape that in any of my shows today. So Haruma sacrificed his own happiness so Ayano could be happy, and Chitose has yet to work up the courage to confess. This show has a lot more complicated romance than I was expecting, and Choco's here on the sidelines watching it, barely understanding how it plays out. Not to mention that Makoto missed all the fun. The show's certainly going in a different direction than I thought it'd go when I first picked it up, but it's not a bad one either.

Shin Sekai Yori - 03

Shun you suave motherfucker.

How come I didn't get to go on a superhuman summer boat camp trip when I was a kid?

Also,
holographic library?
That's pretty twisty.

Yuki Yuna is a Hero 10

So they've finally unveiled the curtain.

I can't help but wonder what alternatives are available to the Shinju. It seems it's pretty much make the girls fight the vertex or let the vertex in so they can kill the remaining humans. I understand Togo's suffering but if the Shinju is gone then everyone dies, at least that seems to be her current plan but I'm hoping there's more to it than that that they are saving for the next episode.

Reconguista in G 12

Shits getting real now, with the obvious reveal of the threat in space and them coming into play. I never watched Turn A but from what I know, it's getting closer to connecting U.C.-R.C.-C.C. I think.
Mask and Klim Nick team up next episode so it's guaranteed to be an absolutely beautiful event.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Top 10 OPs of Anime Year 2014 according to me.

10. Hoozuki no Reitetsu OP
9. Terror in Resonance OP
8. Stardust Crusaders OP
7. Nobunagun OP
6. Gundam Build Fighters Try OP
5. Sakura Trick OP
4. Barakamon OP
3. Ping Pong OP
2. Space Dandy JP OP
1. Log Horizon OP

Top EDs, no clue, I tend to skip them after an airing or two.

Code Geass : Lelouch of the Rebellion

This is going to be awful. Where do I even begin.

I think the last series I enjoyed this much was probably Kaiji or Gundam Build Fighters, which wasn't too long ago I guess. But unlike those two shows, I feel like Geass is special. Special in the way that it's the perfect kind of stupid. The stupid where it makes me shake my head or laugh but also kind of makes sense, in a stupid crazy Sunrise way. After watching the big bro, I can see why Valvrave or Cross Ange are considered lesser. It seems to me to be like the Evangelion clones, where they take bits of pieces in trying to replicate it, but they never can. It's not possible.

Going into Geass (Beyond what I originally watched only the first 10 episodes sometime in 2008 around when R2 was starting) I knew only some of the base things about the series - Pizza Hut, Emperor Wakamoto, Spinzaku. But as I went along, I found myself saying "Oh, that's where that's from" a lot. Like I somehow never made the connection about the Euphynator PARTY HARD .gif or that picture of Suzaku holding Lelouch holding Shirley making a 20 foot long people chain, or Suzaku's fish he will now proceed to pleasure himself with. This is by far in my favor, as all the stupid bullshit presented to my face was raw.

Now I say stupid bullshit, but it's not bad stupid bullshit. It's the kind of stupid bullshit that people (i.e.) me want to see. The kind of stupid bullshit you get in an episode were everyone wears giant heart hats on their head and Not-Lelouch performs amazing gymnastics to avoid girls who want him to be their boyfriend. Now of course others (read:most) people will think it's just the regular 'ol stupid bullshit, but understand I'm coming from a place where there was a series I loved but didn't know it for 8 years.

Of course there's a lot of things I thought were really neat. Lelouch having a girl mark a wall every day to see how long Geass could last, Mao going insane because his Geass developed too well so he became obsessed with C.C. who he could not read, and later the same thing happening to Lelouch at the best possible timing, just small details like that really made me more into it.

I actually feel like Lelouch is one of the better protagonists I've seen, and that the cast of Geass is pretty good. Except for Nina. And Rolo. And Ohgi. And Suzaku half of the time. And it's a pretty big cast, even people who weren't that important or weren't the focus like Tohdoh, Rakshata or Milly I liked. There's at least some complexity to most characters.

Another of the things I knew about the show beforehand was how R2 was apparently the worst thing ever and where the show jumped the shark. But that's bullshit, because it jumped the shark way before that. Twice even, once when Mao kidnaps Nunnally and twice when the Euhpanator rises. R2 is definitely more ridiculous, even from the very first scene of the first episode, but I don't think there was a moment where I thought "Yep, this is it. The shark has officially been jumped." There were times when I thought it was getting a little contrived (how many people knew Zero was Lelouch by the time it didn't matter anymore? Like, 9?) or the increasing silliness of Geass powers like Rolo's and that one experiment kid who could force people into doing things (isn't that just Lelouch's but worse since they know what's happening), and by the last arc I was confused who was on who's side and why (Suzaku, Kallen, especially Nina) but I never thought it was out of the ordinary or marked a decline in quality.

I think I'm rambling now so I'll just list my favorite parts of the series -
  • Emperor Wakamoto
  • Lloyd's entire character
  • C.C.
  • Pizza Hut
  • ALL HAIL BRITANNIA
  • The OST
  • "Elevens"
  • Tamaki thinking he and Zero are besties
  • Lelouch being Chuuni as fuck at every opportunity
  • Cornelia
  • The ending of R1
  • The troll ending of R2

TL;DR Geass is dumb, but the kind of dumb I can appreciate, and I liked it a lot. I don't know if this says more about me or about the series. My only regret is not being able to watch it while it aired.
Also fuck Nina, and LELOUCH WAS RIGHT
Well i agree on everything , especially the end.
lelouch did some duymb things but he was without a doubt the most sane person in this show that isn't C.C everyone else, if i could i would have slapped them several times untill their cheeks would be red. They deserve it

No one can replicate code geass , it's that special .. That special blend of excellent voice acting , intresting setting , great mecha animation and CRZAY at every turn. the way Geass leave some plot threads on the ground only for it to explose on everyone just as you're about to forget those things were there. The landslide and those effects , "Orange" ( goddamn Orange that move was brillant ) , euphemia , the dumb suzaku ..at somepoint everything was so Up there no amount of explanation would have satisfied anyone. And it didn't. when the truth happenned , nobody was happy , but that too was fine because geass , just went into something crazier for a finale nobody was able to top .

Yeah Geass is "that" good. It's not just a good anime , it's good because it's not a good anime. And yeah that sentence is perfect to summarize code geass.
Full Metal Panic! - 24 + Season Review

So that was Full Metal Panic. It's a pretty good show. While I don't think it comes too close to some of my favourite shows, I still enjoyed what I got out of it quite a bit.

Let me just get what I didn't like in this show out of the way. The Gonzo animation. Yeah, I'm not too big a fan of their style. Something about how they draw things just doesn't appeal to me. I don't know what it is, they're just not my favourite studio. That's honestly the only real gripe I have with this show.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I definetly think the high-school antics were my favourite part of the show, mostly because I think the idea of a military teenage soldier trying to pass off as a normal high-school kid allows for a lot of funny moments to happen in the show. And they do.

But despite that, I still think the best arc is the assasination team arc, if only for everything feeling more "real" there. Like, it's all no-nonsense and serious, and pulls off a really good change of tone to remind you that these people are still fighting harsh battles out there and life on the battlefield is harsh.

Though if I had to name my favourite character in the show, it would have to be Gauron. The guy just works great as a villain. Yeah, he's mostly a mustache-twirly kind of villain, but the way he acts in every scene he's in, I couldn't help but chuckle at the performance. The guy doesn't really have any sort of motives, he seems to just do whatever the hell he wants. The dude just loves destruction in general, and every time he spoke in the dub I could tell the VA was putting a ton of effort to make it sound like he was enjoying everything he was doing as much as possible.

Tessa was also a good character. She initally comes across as your typical worried for the hero, loves to smile, kind of young female character. But later on in the show and especially in the last arc you get to see what Corvo says is "The True Tessa". Which is pretty much her yandere mode. I really like how much of a villain she sounded like when tables turned in favour of the protagonists. You could really feel all that pent-up anger she had inside her in that moment after how Gauron treated her and the crew. And from the way she acted throughout the series, that was a side I really didn't think she had in her.

And speaking of this last arc, I think it was pretty good for a finale. Mostly in terms of how huge a role Chidori plays in it. I mean damn, she pretty much became GLADoS to save Sousuke and everyone. Sousuke and Chidori then go fishing, and all is well.

So yeah, all in all, I enjoyed this show, and I think I made a decent watchbet. But it's not over yet! I still got Fumofuu! and The Second Raid! to get on with. Those shows are done by KyoAni, so needless to say, I'm both curious and excited to see how the show looks in their style.

I'm gonna miss that OP though, that song really grew on me as this show went on.

MUKAE NI YOUKOUUUU

*salutes*
FMP is a good show but this season , while good still has some holes that prevented it from being great. Don't get me wrong , i love the characters and gauron is damn awesome but it's missing that "something" ..but don't worry , the next stuff is freaking great.

Woah when did the animation for Twintails get so bad?
Blue isn't even wearing anything to cover herself

And then there was the protagonists legs earlier on.
It was bad since 3 episodes ago. Felt like they ran out of budget. ( or someone inside might ruin the production ) ..ok ok i might have watched too much shirobako ...but still i can only hope they have enough stamina to bnot butcher the finale..
let us hope.

From the Awful, Fucked Up World 19

"She's coming."

Oh God. Oh God. Oh God. Don't you dare do this to me.
Episode 16[ was already gut wrenching enough. Show, you're not Texhnolyze. Stop trying to be Texhnolyze. Stop making the worst possible scenario happen again and again.
If this is Maria then I don't even want to know what she went through.

Delving into the next one so I can hopefully confirm the answer to this million dollar question. All I will say here is that it was, just like its predecessor, a really gorgeous and tense episode. Cantus incinerations against the background of the night make for some striking visuals.
Don't say "stop" , you know you want it to continue.

We all know you're at the edge of your seat !!!

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG 8

So the reason Yoko Kayabuki got appointed the first female PM in Japan was because major scandals forced the ruling party's leadership to resign. In other words she's the Japanese answer to Kim Campbell.

And Ghoda continues to manipulate everyone like child's play.
Well Ghoda is really good at what he does.
I love the character because you know the guy is not a good guy , it's obvious , heck the anime adresses this in the first meeting, but regardless you can't counter the manipulation.. he is that good ans that's what make him intresting , he is competent , even when people are expecting him. The hability of a great character.

Dropped it at the same point at my first try. Episode 4 is where things start to happen.
I wasn't thrilled either when it was airing , it had potential but it didn't grab me much.
I waited more to see if that potential coudl make something good. I wasn't let down .

Shin Sekai Yori 20

airplaney4jmn.gif

Bastards are dragging this out.
And you're still enjoying every second.

78 Responses in 3 days. There's a geographical map on the poll too and it's weird how there are like no voters west of the mississippi until you hit cali or texas

You might have found some foreign votes in there :)

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Cant say I consider melodramatic a pejorative.
Like half of its synonyms are negative. Melodrama in itself doesn't have to be bad, but it's often a sign of lazy storytelling. Your Lie in April is a heavy example of melodrama fitting a work poorly. The subject matter and world are grounded, but emotionally the show just feels unhinged. It's hard to have peaks and valleys when characters seem to cry multiple times an episode, or always seem to be on edge. Inner turmoil is primarily derived through outrageous examples of trauma, dampening the show's human element. This has repercussions across the show. In terms of presentation, the series is extremely reflective, drowning in thought monologues and flashbacks that span the entire cast. This style slows momentum by limiting cross character interactions, but the show's melodramatic interpretation of trauma truly brings everything to a halt, and viewers are left watching the show try to dissect bizarre caricatures. Trapped inside the character's heads these self conscious nightmares are blown up even further, turning to grating and eventually comical as characters struggle to cope with outrageous events. I think the last episode had almost no dialogue, and when it did that dialogue took place in a flashback.

TUSR

Banned
Persona4 the Golden ANIMATION 4-6

way better than the first three episodes, but still isnt there

i forgot why im watching this

cajunator

Banned
Shin Sekai Yori- 02

Well I haven't noticed a drop in quality yet. More world building, more ominous occurrences, and more cat shadows.

One thing I have to say is that so far this show really likes to throw around huge date ranges, and it's really made me unable to grasp the connection between any of them, how they're supposed to tie to eachother, and what time frame the main story is supposed to be in. And when they go in and out of focus so much it kind of hurts my eyes. But I get why.

the dates do have some relevance to world building but its more the details you should pay attention to.
the show is intentionally disorienting at this point. You know what the characters know and thats not much.

Shin Sekai Yori - 03

Shun you suave motherfucker.

How come I didn't get to go on a superhuman summer boat camp trip when I was a kid?

Also,
holographic library?
That's pretty twisty.

And we have the catalyst.

PSYCHO PASS 2 - 10

This episode wasn't wrong, it was actually enjoyable.

Better it seems that Coloring akane is a challenge in itself, lol

but let's cheer for the most usefull inspector in History :
PSYCHO-PASS%202%20-%2010_01.jpg

So reliable
PSYCHO-PASS%202%20-%2010_02.jpg

So convincing

Now just look where "the will of sibyl" brought you. You're so scared of falling , you're going to fall , lol

Full Metal Panic! Fumofuu! - 1

Oh my. What have I stumbled upon? The KyoAni animation. The Sousuke antics. The way how nice and CLEAN everything looks.

This, this is going to be a special one.

Link Man

Banned
Your Lie in April 10

I'm just gonna consider this the series finale, seems like a good place to stop. Very satisfying episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom