• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 |OT2| Idly waiting for the Dog Days of Sabre

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Chaika Avenging Butthole - Episode 10 (End)

There wasn't any avenging in this series. There were many battles but most of them were boring. The ending just doesn't feel earned, everything was rushed, the final story arc was just a mess. Disappointing.

Sakura

The last episode for season 1 of Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works is confirmed to be an hour long.

The second season is gonna have a lot of anime original material for sure.
Wait. What do you mean season 1? Is it not going straight into winter? Fuck this show then. I hope Rin falls on her dinky little dagger and dies.

PK Gaming

Oh man, new OT already? Damn you guys, I gotta catch up to 12 pages of discussion...

Code Geass : Lelouch of the Rebellion

This is going to be awful. Where do I even begin.

I think the last series I enjoyed this much was probably Kaiji or Gundam Build Fighters, which wasn't too long ago I guess. But unlike those two shows, I feel like Geass is special. Special in the way that it's the perfect kind of stupid. The stupid where it makes me shake my head or laugh but also kind of makes sense, in a stupid crazy Sunrise way. After watching the big bro, I can see why Valvrave or Cross Ange are considered lesser. It seems to me to be like the Evangelion clones, where they take bits of pieces in trying to replicate it, but they never can. It's not possible.

Going into Geass (Beyond what I originally watched only the first 10 episodes sometime in 2008 around when R2 was starting) I knew only some of the base things about the series - Pizza Hut, Emperor Wakamoto, Spinzaku. But as I went along, I found myself saying "Oh, that's where that's from" a lot. Like I somehow never made the connection about the Euphynator PARTY HARD .gif or that picture of Suzaku holding Lelouch holding Shirley making a 20 foot long people chain, or Suzaku's fish he will now proceed to pleasure himself with. This is by far in my favor, as all the stupid bullshit presented to my face was raw.

Now I say stupid bullshit, but it's not bad stupid bullshit. It's the kind of stupid bullshit that people (i.e.) me want to see. The kind of stupid bullshit you get in an episode were everyone wears giant heart hats on their head and Not-Lelouch performs amazing gymnastics to avoid girls who want him to be their boyfriend. Now of course others (read:most) people will think it's just the regular 'ol stupid bullshit, but understand I'm coming from a place where there was a series I loved but didn't know it for 8 years.

Of course there's a lot of things I thought were really neat. Lelouch having a girl mark a wall every day to see how long Geass could last, Mao going insane because his Geass developed too well so he became obsessed with C.C. who he could not read, and later the same thing happening to Lelouch at the best possible timing, just small details like that really made me more into it.

I actually feel like Lelouch is one of the better protagonists I've seen, and that the cast of Geass is pretty good. Except for Nina. And Rolo. And Ohgi. And Suzaku half of the time. And it's a pretty big cast, even people who weren't that important or weren't the focus like Tohdoh, Rakshata or Milly I liked. There's at least some complexity to most characters.

Another of the things I knew about the show beforehand was how R2 was apparently the worst thing ever and where the show jumped the shark. But that's bullshit, because it jumped the shark way before that. Twice even, once when Mao kidnaps Nunnally and twice when the Euhpanator rises. R2 is definitely more ridiculous, even from the very first scene of the first episode, but I don't think there was a moment where I thought "Yep, this is it. The shark has officially been jumped." There were times when I thought it was getting a little contrived (how many people knew Zero was Lelouch by the time it didn't matter anymore? Like, 9?) or the increasing silliness of Geass powers like Rolo's and that one experiment kid who could force people into doing things (isn't that just Lelouch's but worse since they know what's happening), and by the last arc I was confused who was on who's side and why (Suzaku, Kallen, especially Nina) but I never thought it was out of the ordinary or marked a decline in quality.

I think I'm rambling now so I'll just list my favorite parts of the series -
  • Emperor Wakamoto
  • Lloyd's entire character
  • C.C.
  • Pizza Hut
  • ALL HAIL BRITANNIA
  • The OST
  • "Elevens"
  • Tamaki thinking he and Zero are besties
  • Lelouch being Chuuni as fuck at every opportunity
  • Cornelia
  • The ending of R1
  • The troll ending of R2

TL;DR Geass is dumb, but the kind of dumb I can appreciate, and I liked it a lot. I don't know if this says more about me or about the series. My only regret is not being able to watch it while it aired.
Also fuck Nina, and LELOUCH WAS RIGHT

I loved reading this post. Brings me back to good old days of watching Geass instead of studying for my finals.

Geass was secretly the best comedy anime of its year.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Avatar: The Legend of Korra Book 4: Episode 11:

Well then, this one took some time to come out, I needed sleep before I could watch it. At any rate, so yea, lot of stuff happened this week, starting with actual character motivation! Indeed the obvious motivation was obvious and really should have come like 4 episodes ago. This show really does love to undermine itself at any and all given turns. They kept saying how dangerous and forbidden this spirit vine technology is and indeed it is rather deadly. I would contend that it was a lot less deadly and destructive then a full scale invasion of the city. Shit, a few laser shots, a few smoldering ships, and Republic City could not roll over to surrender fast enough. This is what superior firepower gets you, it is why it was perused and it is why it was justified, the right result happened. Speaking of rolling over, I know this series wants me to think that Battar Jr getting the laser blast was some grand act of betrayal but I have actually been paying attention to Kuvira's character and this is exactly what she would do. Battar Jr. turned unto some mushy doofus who couldn't stick it out and apparently lacked the cunning to escape. Kuvira has established time and again that such weakness is tantamount to betrayal and is to be cast out immediately. Let me see, Verrick and Zhu Li reunite in a heaping pile of bullshit that just should have been rewritten from the get go. Oh yes, a whole bunch of characters who you might have cared about at some point show up for a cameo and probably will vanish into the ether again. In short, ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER!

phaze

Damn I wanna read all these spoilers. Must stay strong, Train.

Don't ruin it for yourself. Seriously, don't.

Dropped. Just like F/Z. I don't play that game.

lol Good luck with Durarara's new outing.

Don't say "stop" , you know you want it to continue.

We all know you're at the edge of your seat !!!

And you're still enjoying every second.

Yes and yes to both. :)

Shin Sekai Yori 22

A chance to finally catch breath with the story moving in the new direction.
The constant shots of Kiroumaru smirking do not promise a very bright future.

CorvoSol

The God of Mecha put FMP Sequels into the new SRW and so I am offering to him a sacrifice of watching the rest of Cross Ange. It's only fair.

Sakura

lol Good luck with Durarara's new outing.
Way ahead on that game. Dropped the original Durarara 100 years ago. Not going to start watching a new one now.

The God of Mecha put FMP Sequels into the new SRW and so I am offering to him a sacrifice of watching the rest of Cross Ange. It's only fair.

Woah woah woah. New SRW info? Is there a thread?

Danna ga Nani wo Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken 1-11

It comes for a 4-Koma and it shows, the super short style of the scenes clash a bit with the anime format (even when the eps are as short as this case). Humor wise I had some problems with it, as I didn't get some references and I think few jokes were surely Japanese puns.
Still, it has a pair of nice moments in the later episodes and it had a good feels last episode. Episode that btw, cheats a bit in the sense that it's totally different to the rest of the series! Different format (it's all continuous, instead of being 4koma-ish), different tone, direction, and art.

Chaika: Avenging Battle 10

It feels like the season got cut short here and they had to wrap things up quickly. It's strange when the one guy they hyped up for two seasons
gets dispatched in a single episode.
From other comments I've seen it looks like they skipped a bunch of material to end things here. It's too bad they didn't have enough episodes to cover the missed material and end things at a better pace.

Curious to what anime people here are most hyped for next year.
I'm most hyped for Shokugeki no Soma and Rolling Girls.

Symphogear 3rd season [2015]

Midonin

Read or Die the TV 18-20

It's the paper airplane from the OVA! Yomiko's still got it, and makes a surprisingly fun pair with Anita as a pair of Paper Master buddy cops.
For as long as it lasted, anyway. I always did think it odd that Anita had the most Anglosphere-esque last name of the three sisters, but there's so much of her backstory that she just cast aside to the flames, and her relationship with Yomiko isn't in good standing either. After all she went through, it's understandable, but this show has just been a never-ending series of "it keeps getting worse" since the Hong Kong incident. There's still hope, sure, but the tension is ratcheting up.

Link Man

Banned
So, need some opinions concerning the RightStuf Sale. Looking to push my order over $50 for free shipping, and I'm stuck between Hellsing (the original) and Haibane Renmei.

So, need some opinions concerning the RightStuf Sale. Looking to push my order over $50 for free shipping, and I'm stuck between Hellsing (the original) and Haibane Renmei.

I can tell you the original Hellsing is crap. So yeah, Haibane Renmei even if I haven't seen it.

Midonin

selector spread WIXOSS 11

Mayu's been dead the whole time.
That pallor was a visual cue the whole time, but now it's been spelled out. Kazuki getting in on the action was an interesting turn, as was the followup to Hanayo's story. I'm sorta looking forward to the finale. WIXOSS has been a wild ride, and while full of despair, I've never felt that it didn't have something to say. Also a far better example of how to do a late night card game anime than Z/X. Go for it, Ruko! You can do it!

Himemiya

Yurumates 3D+ 1-13 end

Irresponsibility moe the show. Fluff, but cute and nice at times.

Ronja 10

ronja10.jpg

ronja cant catch a break sometimes :(

It's a damn shame more people aren't watching this great little series. Buncha CGphobes the lot of ya!

Poor Ronja :( that almost felt like too intense of a situation, but I think it might be the best episode yet. It was beautiful.

Curious to what anime people here are most hyped for next year.
I'm most hyped for Shokugeki no Soma and Rolling Girls.

There's quite a few interesting things coming up but the only one I feel an obligation to watch is Yuri Kuma Arashi.

Heroman - 1

This really kind of doesn't qualify as a mecha anime.

I mean yeah, it's a giant robot. But it's a partner giant robot with an anime human face while the kid stands to the side. I mean yeah, he's pretty much remote controlling it sure.

But to say this a mecha anime is to say that Big Hero 6 was a mecha movie.

Other than that though, I like how "comic-booky" the plot is. I mean, professor tries to make contact with aliens, said aliens then proceed to get ready to invade Earth. Boy finds toy robot in the garbage, fixes it up, robot gets struck by lightning, turning it into a super action hero robot!

This is obviously because of the fact that the writer of the manga this show comes from is the man himself, Stan Lee. Speaking of whom, ANIME STAN LEE EVERYBODY!

You know, it's a shame this show was apparently never dubbed. Because with it being set in America and all, you'd think it'd benefit from having some English VA's in there no? Oh well.

The anime and manga is so fun. Especially as this goes on.

phaze

Shin Sekai Yori 23

That's quite a cliffhanger to leave things on.
With Shun showing up (You really couldn't drop that Holy Barrier truth bomb 13 episodes earlier ?) and the Cantus leakage issue emerging once again
, my prediction
about Queerats being former humans
may yet come true. Would be the first.

2 episodes seem like an awfully short time to resolve the story and answer all the remaining question. Will try to finish this today.

As for the winter, my picks are: Tokyo Ghoul (no way in hell i'm typing that stupid subtitle, Durarara !! x2. Will try Death Parade, at least a few episodes of Aldnoah for futher lols and perhaps Jojo, if it manages to free itself from the monster of the week stuff.

Midonin

Garo: Seal of Flames 11

Maybe he was ZERO. Maybe he wasn't. Either way,
Bernardo is dead, and I don't think Herman has that much longer to live either. Being stabbed like that was painful.
Mendoza has pretty much gone into full supervillain mode here, though things are setting up for what looks to be a fun fight to end the first cour of the series. I don't know if Garo has a super mode, or if what was seen in the preview is more like a berserker mode, but it looks like something that takes advantage of the animated medium in a way that the CGI for the live action series might've had trouble with.

Kyuur

Shin Sekai Yori 23
As for the winter, my picks are: Tokyo Ghoul (no way in hell i'm typing that stupid subtitle, Durarara !! x2. Will try Death Parade, at least a few episodes of Aldnoah for futher lols and perhaps Jojo, if it manages to free itself from the monster of the week stuff.

What do you have against √A? :(

-Horizon-

Maybe someone can help me here: Is Yen Press the only publisher that is bringing over light novels to the US? Been thinking about getting some.

I have pending to watch Princess Kaguya, but instead of that, I used the evening to watch a little movie called Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind!

No, I didn't watch it before.
But it's hard to judge it for me as I read the manga and in fact it's in my Top 5, just a pure classic.
Obviously given length limitations in a film is an adaptation, taking mainly the story from the first part of the manga and also making their own ending. No surprises here, it's the correct choice, to make a standalone product that can stand at its own. I also love the Akira film a lot together the comic.

But though the material is overall good I'm not sure if this adaptation is as good as it could be. Following the same comparison, which I think it's appropriate as both are epic scifi action/adeventure/drama from 80s, I think Akira did its film better than Nausicaa did it.
The mystery of the Fukui forest is discovered but isn't well integrated in the rest of the script, it seems put there because it was an important reveal in the manga and is central to the general ecologic theme. It limits the political/military warfare to Tolmekia, Pejite and mainly the Valley itself, again understandable because there is no way to put half of all that happens in the manga, but I don't think they did a great job in the war side, it felt underwhelming, it's just Tolmekia getting the God Warrior, the Valley people rebelling when they see a chance, then the sea of Ohms courtesy of Pejite comes and stop everything. Because the film tries to ease the viewer in this alien Earth, giving also time to Nausicaa character to develop and to the adventure in the mid part of the film, it didn't really had time to develop more the war side of the plot. The God Warrior gets to make a guest appearance shooting twice and then dying wohoo.

That said I had one of those blue, sentimental days, and I actually dropped a tear when Nausicaa "died" and then was revived by the Ohms.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Garo: Seal of Flames 11

Maybe he was ZERO. Maybe he wasn't. Either way,
Bernardo is dead, and I don't think Herman has that much longer to live either. Being stabbed like that was painful.
Mendoza has pretty much gone into full supervillain mode here, though things are setting up for what looks to be a fun fight to end the first cour of the series. I don't know if Garo has a super mode, or if what was seen in the preview is more like a berserker mode, but it looks like something that takes advantage of the animated medium in a way that the CGI for the live action series might've had trouble with.

It's a Berserk mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom