• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 |OT2| Idly waiting for the Dog Days of Sabre

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

Heroman - 1

This really kind of doesn't qualify as a mecha anime.

I mean yeah, it's a giant robot. But it's a partner giant robot with an anime human face while the kid stands to the side. I mean yeah, he's pretty much remote controlling it sure.

But to say this a mecha anime is to say that Big Hero 6 was a mecha movie.

Other than that though, I like how "comic-booky" the plot is. I mean, professor tries to make contact with aliens, said aliens then proceed to get ready to invade Earth. Boy finds toy robot in the garbage, fixes it up, robot gets struck by lightning, turning it into a super action hero robot!

This is obviously because of the fact that the writer of the manga this show comes from is the man himself, Stan Lee. Speaking of whom, ANIME STAN LEE EVERYBODY!

You know, it's a shame this show was apparently never dubbed. Because with it being set in America and all, you'd think it'd benefit from having some English VA's in there no? Oh well.

Man I've been meaning to watch this show forever.

Gundam Build Fighters 10

Honestly not bad. Sorta reminded me of the episode where Sei and co. went to the inn. Really enjoyed the Mama Bearguy antics.

Cross Ange 10

Fucking dropped. I've maintained for awhile the shock value'd wear off and for me it has. Couldn't even finish this episode, it stank so bad.

G-Reco 12

Meanwhile, Tomino continues to deliver. G-Reco's continued references to Turn A push all my right buttons.

Syrinx

On the Twelfth day of Christmas, my RightStuf gave to me:

.Hack//Quantum: $8
Buy some UMDs bundle (Yes this is a thing): $4
Blue Drop: $12
Darker Than Black: $20 for S1 $24 for S2
Deadman Wonderland $14
Jubei Chan $12
Mecha Masters DVD set (Includes M.D. Geist I & II Collector's Series, Cybernetics Guardian, Genocyber: The Collection, M.D. Geist and Genocyber I Soundtracks and bonus disc in an "ultra cool collector's box"): $10
MIKUNOPOLIS in Los Angeles Blu-ray: $45 (Aniplex)
Rozen Maiden: $17.50
Rozen Maiden Overture: $10.50
Trigun Anime: $16
Trigun Manga: $10
Trigun Maximum: $10.40 each

...And a few other things as well!

Edit: Right at the bottom of the page. Can anyone quote this post for page 11?

Deadman Wonderland $14
Jubei Chan $12
Mecha Masters DVD set (Includes M.D. Geist I & II Collector's Series, Cybernetics Guardian, Genocyber: The Collection, M.D. Geist and Genocyber I Soundtracks and bonus disc in an "ultra cool collector's box"): $10

Trigun grabbed my attention. Not much else

M.D. Geist I & II Collector's Series

M.D. Geist

mEzcgaT.gif

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Shirobako 10
Honda and CG girl quit their job. This is heavy. I don't think quitting a job after a few month is a wise idea, especially if the reason is idealism, not to mention she haven't found other job yet. But hey, i'm sure it'll work out just fine...

Shingeki no Bahamut 9

Joan d arc about to get burned in stake. Favaro, Kaisar, and Amira meet with eternal observer. Look like this is going for a bittersweet ending. Favaro probably going to sacrifice himself to save Amira...

wonzo

Banned
Denki-gai no Honya-san 3-5

The comedy's real hit and miss in this adaptation but when it hits it hits perfectly. Furthermore, the workplace romance stuff which really makes this series what it is is deftly handled, making me look forward to what's coming up soon.

infintly better workplace romcom anime than working will ever be. rip poplar

Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere 02-03

Continuing the rewatch. More character introductions and more expositions that, considering its a rewatch, are a lot more understandable. It's a lot easier to follow this time around, especially with picking up on all the hints and foreshadowing about something going on in Mikawa. The tone is still somewhat comedic when not dropping the foreshadowing, but I didn't realize how obvious it was last time. Especially when both episodes start and end with a different character thinking something along the lines of "I never thought that our lives would change."

Quasar

Ai Tenchi 48 - Looks like its going to just peter out. Been enjoying it enough but it seems like it wont be concluding at all. And looking back its kind of weird....sponsored by a tourism org and really I expected it to promote tourism in some way...but there was nothing.

Dog Days S2 1-3

LzGZExl.gif

Nanami is a better hero than Cinque and Squirrel tails are the best kind of tails around. If you disagree with me on either one of those points you clearly haven't been watching the show.

wonzo

Banned
Ronja 10

ronja10.jpg

ronja cant catch a break sometimes :(

It's a damn shame more people aren't watching this great little series. Buncha CGphobes the lot of ya!

Clov

It's a damn shame more people aren't watching this great little series. Buncha CGphobes the lot of ya!

I plan on starting it as soon as I'm done this last paper! I'm interested in seeing what Goro can do with a TV series, since I enjoyed Poppy Hill.

wonzo

Banned
Ai-Mai-Mi: Mousou Catastrophie 10-12 END

aimaimis210.jpg

Today I learn't nothing "good" ever comes from 2D cars and that there's a 13th episode that still hasn't been translated?! SHAME

Oh and they all died kinda.

ooh and shiba inuko + chitose get you cameos omg.

aimaimis210a.jpg

I plan on starting it as soon as I'm done this last paper! I'm interested in seeing what Goro can do with a TV series, since I enjoyed Poppy Hill.
Yeah it looks like Goro has potential after all.

It wasn't CG it was its kiddiness that had me not watching.
image.php

Deadman Wonderland $14
Jubei Chan $12

Please note that the Rozen Maiden complete collection does include the Ouverture episodes. No need to purchase something twice, even at a bargain price.

wonzo

Banned
Don't get me wrong, I liked the 2 episodes I saw, but that it seemed aimed at under 10s like much of the shows that CR never licenses like Yokai Watch. Romeo and Juliet for little kids did not seem like it was for me.
it's cg world masterpiece theatre not bloody yokai watch ._.

duckroll

2 Bedroom w/ Living, Dining, Kitchen

http://animatorexpo.com/nishiogikubo/ (Warning: NSFW, Contains non-sexual nudity)

Whoa that was really fucking good. Probably the best short yet in terms of pure animation. The story is pretty simple - a woman wakes up to find herself shrunk in her apartment, tries to communicate with her boyfriend who sees her as a cockroach, hilarious chase ensures with amazing loose animation from some of Japan's best animators.

Is this a Gokicha parody? Is it about her insecurities of not being noticed? Do they have a cockroach infestation in the apartment? Who cares, it's funny, energetic, and looks awesome! The Shinya Ohira sequence near the end was soooooooo good. I'm glad Khara is putting more creativity and effort into these shorts than they did in Eva 3.0! :p

Directors: Mahiro Maeda, Takeshi Honda
Character Design/Plot: Takeshi Honda
Storyboard: Mahiro Maeda
Animators: Masashi Ando, Toshiyuki Inoue, Shinya Ohira, Hiroyuki Okiura, Shinji Hashimoto, Takeshi Honda, Akira Homma, Mahiro Maeda, Maho Takagi, Sayaka Yamai

Clov

Loved that short too, love what Khara is doing with these. I hope they make a BD collection with all of them available once this is done. Given that the official website has English subtitles for the shorts with dialogue, I'd be willing to bet that any potential BD that would come out of this project would have them as well.

wonzo

Banned
Danna ga Nani wo Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken 2-11

dannaganani11.jpg

Gave this a second chance and I feel real bad for brushing this off as a basic 4koma adaptation. Not often we get something as heartfelt as this is.

oh and i was pretty surprised to see the ai mai mi dude do all of ep 11 too, wasn't expecting that!

fe: also didnt realise the author of the manga wrote rabuta. damn this is legit

Welp, I went to right stuff just to see check out their price for the 3rd volume of UQ Holder and wound up spending almost $63. I haven't actually spent money of full series since I bought Samurai Champloo 3 or so years ago. I was tempted to buy the two FMAB collections, but seeing the price on it compared to some Soul Eater I decided to wait and see if Funi ever releases a complete version of FMA for a similar price lol.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Parasyte 11
LOL, that Izumi knight in a white horse and kenshiro mode. Girl love them shojo and shonen manga from the 80's
Parasyte killing yakuza and going to politic seem like a preparation for taking over the country. They evolve, while Izumi is still a highschool student.
Damn, this is gonna be bad for Izumi.

One of these days I'll come into the thread and everybody will be watching Dog Days. And it'll be like Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

And on that day it will be declared that anime is dead.

2 Bedroom w/ Living, Dining, Kitchen

http://animatorexpo.com/nishiogikubo/ (Warning: NSFW, Contains non-sexual nudity)

Whoa that was really fucking good. Probably the best short yet in terms of pure animation. The story is pretty simple - a woman wakes up to find herself shrunk in her apartment, tries to communicate with her boyfriend who sees her as a cockroach, hilarious chase ensures with amazing loose animation from some of Japan's best animators.

Is this a Gokicha parody? Is it about her insecurities of not being noticed? Do they have a cockroach infestation in the apartment? Who cares, it's funny, energetic, and looks awesome! The Shinya Ohira sequence near the end was soooooooo good. I'm glad Khara is putting more creativity and effort into these shorts than they did in Eva 3.0! :p

Directors: Mahiro Maeda, Takeshi Honda
Character Design/Plot: Takeshi Honda
Storyboard: Mahiro Maeda
Animators: Masashi Ando, Toshiyuki Inoue, Shinya Ohira, Hiroyuki Okiura, Shinji Hashimoto, Takeshi Honda, Akira Homma, Mahiro Maeda, Maho Takagi, Sayaka Yamai

Do you know where one can find the music from the previous video ME!ME!ME!?

phaze

Shin Sekai Yori 21

tumblr_lyz7lvziim1qjtvrftv.gif

0e32ydff.png

So this episode has provided the big reveal I've bee dreading and suffice it to say, I did not see that coming. Completely convinced it was Maria, I needed a few good seconds to comprehend what was transpiring in front of me. It was literally as if someone has turned on a light bulb inside my brain. Mamoru and Maria disappearing together, the length of the time skip or the way Cantus user seemed to totally obey the Queerats - all the pieces of puzzle were there, I just didn't manage to piece them together until it was too late. And call me a monster but I think I prefer this scenario to the one where Maria had to live without a limb, jaw, (judging by the remains that were found.) being controlled in sort of the same way Squealer controls the queens and of course where Saki would have to meet and deal with her. I suppose she could still be alive, given the pregnancy, she needed to be for quite a while after her departure but we will see.

One thing I'm confused about was the way Shissei met his demise. I thought it was Karma Demons who were supposed to leak Cantus subconsciously ? This girl doesn't even seem to be a Fiend but just a brainwashed child without death feedback built in. Otherwise I don't see how Queetats would survive in her vicinity.

The sleazy weasel, also known as Squealer, conducted this war with great skill so far but a 10 year wait for another generation of Slave cantus users to grow up seems like a fatal flaw in his plans. In such time humans would be able to scourge the entirety of Japan islands from top to bottom and wipe Queerats of the face of earth.

The renewed focus on kids reminded me that they don't seem to ever have explained whatever happens to those who don't graduate from Harmony school. Do they get killed off too even if they didn't manifest the Cantus abilities ? There has been a dearth of info on the scientists and the "hunters" mentioned in episode 4 so I imagine I still have some major surprises coming my way.

Show has been firing on all cylinders for 4 episodes now. Great stuff.

Vito

Banned
Mikagura Gakuen Kumikyoku TV anime

Director: Tarou Iwasaki http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=42864
Screenplay, Series Configuration: Masahiro Yokotani http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=32136
Character design, Chief AD: Manamu Amazaki http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=63378
Animation production: Dogakobo http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/company.php?id=228

http://mikagura-gakuen.com/

Added: Absolute Duo promo (animated just at the start, don't let the 1 min runtime fool you) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyroYSee6fw Here's the clean visual for a reminder

Shin Sekai Yori 21

So this episode has provided the big reveal I've bee dreading and suffice it to say, I did not see that coming. Completely convinced it was Maria, I needed a few good seconds to comprehend what was transpiring in front of me. It was literally as if someone has turned on a light bulb inside my brain. Mamoru and Maria disappearing together, the length of the time skip or the way Cantus user seemed to totally obey the Queerats - all the pieces of puzzle were there, I just didn't manage to piece them together until it was too late.

One thing I'm confused about was the way Shissei met his demise. I thought it was Karma Demons who were supposed to leak Cantus subconsciously ? This girl doesn't even seem to be a Fiend but just a brainwashed child without death feedback built in. Otherwise I don't see how Queetats would survive in her vicinity.

Well...since it'll still get covered I won't mention your last missing connections just yet, but yeh, even that'll become clearer.

Blusby

The last episode for season 1 of Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works is confirmed to be an hour long.

The second season is gonna have a lot of anime original material for sure.

duckroll

If the second half of F/SN is 12 episodes long and the first and last episode are an hour long, then the series in total will have 30 episodes worth of content in total. Lol.

Blusby

Puruzi

Banned
Curious to what anime people here are most hyped for next year.
I'm most hyped for Shokugeki no Soma and Rolling Girls.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Mikagura Gakuen Kumikyoku TV anime

Director: Tarou Iwasaki http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=42864
Screenplay, Series Configuration: Masahiro Yokotani http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=32136
Character design, Chief AD: Manamu Amazaki http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=63378
Animation production: Dogakobo http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/company.php?id=228

http://mikagura-gakuen.com/

Added: Absolute Duo promo (animated just at the start, don't let the 1 min runtime fool you) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyroYSee6fw Here's the clean visual for a reminder

Woah, more vocaloid related anime.
The song this anime based on

Izayoi seeing
Houkago Stride

For those who play Project Diva F 2nd, last note is the composer of Akatsuki arrival.

Curious to what anime people here are most hyped for next year.
I'm most hyped for Shokugeki no Soma and Rolling Girls.
Shokugeki no Soma
Rolling Girls
Ore Monogatari
Prison School
Death Parade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom