• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 |OT2| Idly waiting for the Dog Days of Sabre

Status
Not open for further replies.
Accel World - 17

OH HEEEEEELLLLLL NO. WHY THE CRAP WOULD YOU DO THAT.

NO. NOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Oh cool, next episode is a Kuroyukihime episode but regardless:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Celestial Method - 13 END

THIS SHOW WAS CUTE, ALL RIGHT?!?

I've had my problems with this show, but through the thick and thin of it after giving it some thought, I think this may be another one of my guilty pleasures of the season, right next to Yuki Yuna.

Yes, the show ends with
Noel coming back, and it's all happily ever after, but I'm strangley okay with that. I kind of expected Noel to disappear with some "We'll meet again someday" message. But no. In fact I'm actually okay with the show not going that route. It's not like she was a ghost and they brought her back from the dead or something. No, she grants wishes, so wishing her back kind of felt in tune with the show.

Yeah, the drama was super heavy and forced in many places, but I'll be honest. I thought the resolution to those moments were nice enough for me to forgive the show for them. Not that this kind of drama hasn't been done before, I just enjoy how it was done here.

But the best part of the show was Noel. Every moment she got screen time I could not help but smile. She's childish, she's happy, she's got a big heart, she's just enjoyable. Her interactions with the cast are easily the show's highlights. Because it's so refreshing seeing angsty, depressed characters getting cheered up with this girl's presence alone.

Though, episode 12 does kinda leave a really bad taste in my mouth.
Why the hell did we time-travel back to episode 1 at the same time wiping everyone's save Shione and Nonoka's memories of Noel? What did that have to do with granting the wish? Was it because they wanted the ending to be in a big flower field but that wouldn't work because Noel left when it was winter? That's not good writing folks!

But regardless...I'm satisfied with this show. All in all, it's cute. If you don't like shows with a large focus on drama like this, this show's probably not for you. I actually hope there's a bonus OVA episode for this show some time later to serve as a sort of epilogue of sorts.

So yeah, the show has its problems, but not so much for me to hate or even dislike the show.

This show sorely lacked Noel, by far its best character. I demand a Noel only OAV episode. Or maybe 3.

Articalys

Ah, finally the holiday break week, with nothing new airing (well, except Tsuki, but the CR subs for Hana were much better than the Daisuki subs, so I'll wait out the exclusivity period here). Plenty of time to relax until the 5th.

Miyazaki and Hosoda don't need that shitty excuse "lol people don't know shit" They can made money while making good stuff. Get on their level.
"Its not popular because everyone is stupid and don't understand my genius!"

I fucking hate that angle that creators and their defenders use.

~wan

Popularity has never been a good indicator of quality, just baseline quality o/

I'm not actually sure how much I believe this

Popularity has no relation to quality whatsover. The masses have poor taste.

Duckroll mentioned entertaining and not quality though. People usually buy games to be entertained I assume?

Well... Unless we're talking about Steam sales and endless backlogs...

Wow I need this Futurecard Buddyfight card.
tumblr_inline_nh4trvGsne1r220kg.png

Hastati

Reading between the lines here leads to to believe you haven't seen Hyouka? If not, that should really be your first port of call. It wasn't the AOTY for nothing. See AOTY 2012 here.

I have NOT seen Hyouka. I didn't have a means to watch it when it came out, then I just forgot. Did not realize it was that well received :O

Narag

Shirobako 3

Yeah, I'm really not as enamored with this as others are. It's good and I like it but I think there's a degree of ineptitude and chaos in the workplace that just stresses me out by association rather than being any sort of a relaxing watch.

Miyazaki and Hosoda don't need that shitty excuse "lol people don't know shit" They can made money while making good stuff. Get on their level.

This is probably sarcasm, but it's at least worth responding to this since I'm sure there are people who would say this seriously.

That popularity doesn't mean something is good, doesn't also mean that popular things must be bad.

Obviously there are occasions where high quality works are also popular (there are plenty of them, even), but there are also plenty of occasions where shitty works are popular (or where extremely great works go almost unnoticed).

But bringing up 'it's popular/successful' as a defense against criticism is pretty much the weakest possible defense, because popularity has no bearing on quality.

Accel World - 18

"Hey, were you shocked about what happened in episode 17? I bet you were! To help you relax, here's part one of a special two-parter episode about Kuroyukihime that we'll air immediately after episode 17."

I can only imagine how many people were pissed off at this and the episode after when it was airing. They were straight-up trolling here, haha. At least there was some decent character insight into Kuroyukihime in this episode though.

This is probably sarcasm, but it's at least worth responding to this since I'm sure there are people who would say this seriously.

That popularity doesn't mean something is good, doesn't also mean that popular things must be bad.

Obviously there are occasions where high quality works are also popular (there are plenty of them, even), but there are also plenty of occasions where shitty works are popular (or where extremely great works go almost unnoticed).

But bringing up 'it's popular/successful' as a defense against criticism is pretty much the weakest possible defense, because popularity has no bearing on quality.

Like people saying Destiny has 12 OTs?

Syrinx

Shit, you could point to the 30 million or whatever sales of The Dark Side of the Moon as an indication of its quality and it would still be a stupid thing to do. It doesn't matter that its one of the greatest albums ever made, if not the greatest. Sales/popularity are never a valid indicator of quality.

Link Man

Banned
So I finished Love Lab earlier today, and while there were a couple of slow spots, the show is cute, hilarious, and slightly insane. Maki is definitely best girl, loved nearly every moment of her time. Really hoping for a second season, but no idea if it's feasible.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also, been watching Baka & Test, but had to drop it after episode 6. Pervy, recycled humor, the show just wasn't going anywhere.

jman2050

Kyoani hasn't made anything truly exceptional since the Disappearance movie so from my vantage point they've been on a nearly five-year dry spell with nothing but the oasis of Hyouka acting as a respite.

Accel World - 19

Hey Accel World, thanks for having an awesome 2D mecha trasformation sequence only to have the giant robot destroyed mere seconds later. No really, thanks a bunch. -_-

Other than that though, at least next episode seems to be getting back to where the plot was from episode 17.

They've been hinting at some kind of organization in this show a little bit during these past few episodes. Does that plot point end up getting resolved by the end of this show? Or does it get resolved at some point in the light novels? Just curious.

Puruzi

Banned
Was Beyond the Boundary considered bad? I watched up to episode 8 today and thought that it was just a pretty show with good production values, didn't seem bad, but not great either. Even got some laughs out of me. Does something happen that makes it bad, or am I just missing something?

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Was Beyond the Boundary considered bad? I watched up to episode 8 today and thought that it was just a pretty show with good production values, didn't seem bad, but not great either. Even got some laughs out of me. Does something happen that makes it bad, or am I just missing something?

it's certainly not good so

Defuser

It's fuyukai desu.

It had great character designs, cool action scenes, a dope ending theme but the story was all sorts of stupid and made no sense. It was just a massive waste of time.

Narag

Shirobako 4

nononoono I had this post sketched out in my head about how nice it was to get some downtime and how it being rare was likely the point of the first three episodes being so hectic and how the callback to the high school production was great as it was the source of their dreams and then the above happened and I wanted to crawl into a hole.

Idol episode was glorious as was the third episode of the ONA episodes. I thought it was a good anime overall, ending needed a tad bit of work.

In my opinion the dance sequence was the only thing worth watching from that show.

~wan

Dead

well not really...yet
So I never got around to buying the Gurren Lagann blu-ray set

It's "only" $500 at CDJapan right now with current exchange rate

Should I spring for that over the single Blu-Rays coming out atm here in the US

$500 vs $320

Fox318

$500 vs $320

Buy a ticket to japan with 2 empty suitcases
Fill suitcases with anime shit
sell anime shit on ebay
Instant profit

It's about as mediocre as a regular modern KyoAni show.
The dance episode was pretty good though

Thoraxes

$500 vs $320

It's really up to what you want.

Personally, I loved the artbook, design docs, interviews, and plethora of bonus extras that came with the boxset.

If you just want the show in a bluray format, get the individual releases they're doing now.

Dead

well not really...yet
It's really up to what you want.

Personally, I loved the artbook, design docs, interviews, and plethora of bonus extras that came with the boxset.

If you just want the show in a bluray format, get the individual releases they're doing now.
Yeah the artbook looks legit. Its not a big price difference. Think im gonna pull the trigger...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yama no Susume is great. And I assume there's room for a S3 given how it ended. With that, at least I watched one single show that aired during this season. lol

Clov

$500 vs $320

Well, depends on how much you like Gurren Lagann! That import set looked... very impressive, to say the least. It's a lot nicer than Aniplex of America's sets for Gurren Lagann, which aren't exactly bad on their own. For the collector, for the absolute Gurren Lagann fan, the import set is the one to go! If you like Gurren Lagann enough to actually buy it, but not enough to spend $500, you could go with Aniplex of America's release.

Of course, for the Gurren Lagann fan in the UK, or the one with the region free BD player, there's the much cheaper BD release there. But if you're willing to pay the money, you can't go wrong with the import set, especially with the exchange rate as it is. Now's the time if any!

Jintor

I feel like as my time available has diminished my tolerance for merely mediocre shows has correspondingly diminished. Of course, I never really watched mediocre shows anyway, but still... even stuff like Trigger's whatever battle just feels... pointless.

Of course, High School Based stuff reminds me too much of work, so that might be it as well.

Shirobako 3

Yeah, I'm really not as enamored with this as others are. It's good and I like it but I think there's a degree of ineptitude and chaos in the workplace that just stresses me out by association rather than being any sort of a relaxing watch.
Shirobako is a bit too thematically heavy to be a relaxing show.

Tuck

Fate/Stay Night UBW - Episode 12

Wow, well that turned everything on its head. I'm somewhat surprised at the shows willingness to seemingly relax some of the rules laid out in F/Z. Caster is an interesting villain. Very excited to see where it goes from here.

I'm surprised how much I enjoyed the first half of the show. There are some issues - the show is certainly at its best when its far away from the school and its associated antics (The date in the first part of this episode was really needless). The main character is also a lot more useless than he should be, kind of annoying to watch tbh.

But yeah in the end, I'm really enjoying it. I like the fact that it takes itself a bit less seriously than F/Z did. One of my favourite anime this year.

Breloom

Neo Member
Fate/Stay Night UBW - Episode 12

Wow, well that turned everything on its head. I'm somewhat surprised at the shows willingness to seemingly relax some of the rules laid out in F/Z. Caster is an interesting villain. Very excited to see where it goes from here.

I'm surprised how much I enjoyed the first half of the show. There are some issues - the show is certainly at its best when its far away from the school and its associated antics (The date in the first part of this episode was really needless). The main character is also a lot more useless than he should be, kind of annoying to watch tbh.

But yeah in the end, I'm really enjoying it. I like the fact that it takes itself a bit less seriously than F/Z did. One of my favourite anime this year.
I feel like one of the reasons I didn't enjoy UBW as much is that I was expecting another Fate/Zero. The reasons why I liked Fate/Zero was that it was very adult and mature, and when comparing recurring characters such as Saber, UBW feels a lot more laid-back. Still, I enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to see the second cour which will hopefully live up to my expectations a bit more than this first cour did.

Andrew J.

Kyoani hasn't made anything truly exceptional since the Disappearance movie so from my vantage point they've been on a nearly five-year dry spell with nothing but the oasis of Hyouka acting as a respite.

I consider Tamako Market to be an underrated gem.

That show wanted to be like -monogatari with characters talking at length about their weird fetishes, but the strength of the writing just wasn't there.

Quasar

Popularity has never been a good indicator of quality, just baseline quality o/

I'm not actually sure how much I believe this

It wasn't really a comment about 'quality', just that there certainly was a good amount of people who found them entertaining. Just as there are lots of people (crazy people imo) who are entertained by Bay films.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom