• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 |OT2| Idly waiting for the Dog Days of Sabre

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was okay. The comedy is hit and miss. The fanservice is there. Average when compared to other Kyoani show

What if you compare it to the other recent KyoAni shows?

My god that Sound! Euphonium PV.....

Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on!Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on!

I get the feeling you don't like K-On ;P

Nagi no Asukara - 26 [Final] - !SPOILERS!

Well that was one gigantic happy end considering the amount of suffering and overall melancholic atmosphere. The end of the second half is brought to us via another Boatdrift Ceremony and the resulting events, when the Sea God finally understands his wrongdoings. The Shioshishio citizens wake up and the Sea God no longer wants any sacrifices to keep calm and everything going...that little prick. Our protagonists end up together happily with the exception of Miuna who's at least intend to simply get over her first love for the better of it.

The early epísodes of Nagi no Asukara made a pretty good impression with the exception of the 'MC' (there isn't really one single MC) Hikaru who went on my nerves big time then. Fortunately he actually does grow out of his major annoyances quickly and from thereon I liked most characters and could empathize with their situations somewhat well. They're no Chitanda or Oreki in terms of depths but they did feel like actual humans with personality and motivations.

As the show progressed we got tons of drama and a kind of ridiculous degree of love triangles...or strings or s.th. with just about everyone loving a person that loves someone entirely else in return. Yet, it all was executed fairly well and demonstrated to me once again that I can enjoy these scenarios or may even be a sucker for them, as long as I feel like I'm being presented with proper characters and no idiot-balling. There was arguably too little progression between the potential pairs and I was longing for some catharsis inbetween, not just a whole avalanche of it at the end but oh well.

The world building started of rather strong but I can't say that it really went anywhere interesting after the first half.I'm not much of a fan of this Sea God ordeal and him being a plot-driving asshole. Yeh the Sea Gods story and involvement is foreshadowed and somewhat well interwoven but feels rather simple and cheap. Towards the end it also felt like they just made up a bunch of bullshit with emotions flowing in the water, everyone and his mother gaining Ena when about to drown and so on.

Visuals were great and consistent. Same goes for the soundtrack that added a lot to the atmosphere, especially the more melancholic pieces such as this.

It's a solid show for me and gets a 7/10. I'd recommend it to everyone who may enjoy some drama and romance, with a few bits of fantasy.

Take one cute Manaka moment for the road!

Hi-sCool! Seha Girls 12

iAojQPw.jpg

Hacked again already? Sega has worse security than Sony confirmed.

Not sure graduation drama works in a show like this...

faridmon

Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on!Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on!

Its sooooo gonna be like K-on!

So what did you guys think of Amagi Brilliant Park? Just about to start watching it, KyoAni has been pretty hit or miss for awhile but it looks kinda interesting...worth the investment?

I like it. BUt again, I am not that big fan of KyoAni in general and ended up watching this without any expectation nor any knowledge on the source material. It started out brilliantly and the jokes were on par, but then it sort of fizzled out and the Melodramatic elements kind of drags it down. But there are two mascots who are hilarious and I can't help laugh my self to death whenever they make their funny facial expressions. The writing is decent albeit some of the characters are annoyingly bad (Like the Princess!) but Its a fun show with great visulas (like any other KyoAni Anime)

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
What if you compare it to the other recent KyoAni shows?

I get the feeling you don't like K-On ;P

Well, if you put it that way, i think it's better than Kyokai no Kanata and Free! (1st season, haven't watch the 2nd season).
Edit: oh, a whole lot better than Chuuni 2nd season

Celestial Method END

That was a cute end. I liked how the animation changed for the very last 5-10 seconds.

Overall, the show would have been much better without the drama. I lost interest in this only a few episodes in because the characters were terrible. I couldnt muster any care for any of them except Noel because shes the best. Yuzuki was extremely annoying. Shione has issues she needs to talk to a professional about. The other two that I dont even remember the name of never got any significant fleshing out. Nonoka is just your generic goodie two shoes lead.

But Noel was just adorable and I wish there was more of her.

If only it would be like K-ON! (well, the second season of K-ON at least). Then KyoAni could redeem itself from the slump they've been in post-Hyouka.

Hastati

Apparently it ended up being decent as long as you don't have high expectations for the studio or the show. Unfortunately many of us are hoping to see another show of theirs that reaches the heights of Hyouka, but like Icarus KyoAni flew too close to the sun.

Well it's the 2nd best KyoAni show post-K-on!!, but that's about as faint as praise can get.

What is your opinion on breasts?

If you like curvy babelicious booty ass boob trash shows then its right for you.

it's shit.
but its a less smelly shit, and when i mean less, i mean a tiny bit.

It was okay. The comedy is hit and miss. The fanservice is there. Average when compared to other Kyoani show

Wowwwwwww lol. Not the responses I was expecting, but thanks!! I'm honestly surprised about the fanservice bit, I feel like pure sexualization hasn't really been a fallback for them historically. I'll add it to my mental list of "babelicious booty ass boob trash shows" then.

Too bad, really. I love some of their older works so much. Hopefully they get their shit together eventually! Though, that's true for most of the older studios...oh well.

EDIT: Then again, I guess I'm out of date. Saw a bit of Kanata, but honestly Disappearance is the last one I really payed any attention to. Suppose it's time to just move on!

EDIT 2: Now I have to watch Disappearance again. God I wish the author would finish the series already ;-;

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
I haven't seen Chuuni 2nd season, is it worse than the first?

I hate to admit it but, despite its... objectionable contents, I have sort of enjoyed the first one

IMO, yes. I enjoy the first one, can't say the same with the 2nd one. The joke is getting stale, and the status quo in the story is irritating. Also, best girl didn't win.

Midonin

Grisaia 13 + Thoughts

Can't really be final if the show's not exactly ending. I think that, while YuYuYu and Wixoss were the most talked about because of their suffering, it's Grisaia that was actually the most tragic show this season. The events of Angelic Howl in particular made me want to switch to another, happier show so quickly, but in a good way. The finale gave me vibes of that one episode of Shigofumi, only with a not-quite-as-peaceful resolution. There are no supernatural elements or letters from beyond the grave to help, except Kazumi, and her situation is super ambiguous.

I'm on the fence about this series. Yuuji didn't really click with me, and his Kiritsugu-esque solution to everything being to shoot it - except for Sachi, where he thankfully talked her down - doesn't exactly make me like him. That whole militaristic angle is... eugh. I liked the girls, though. Michiru in particular. I really want to play her magical girl spinoff VN, or better yet, have that adapted into an anime. It can happen with Nanoha and Illya, why not Michiru? Seeing a happier universe for these girls would be a welcome sight. It was tragic and visceral, but it constantly held my attention. The side effects of compressing routes down to one or two episodes was felt pretty badly, but I still feel I got the gist of what the major themes were.

So it had a lot that I liked, but an equal amount I didn't like, and of the three non-Fate VNs, it was the one I was most looking forward to watching. Nothing to do but to see where it goes from here, if the world and characters are fleshed out more. That ending left quite a lot open, and I await the answers.

Nagi no Asukara - 26 [Final] - !SPOILERS!

Well that was one gigantic happy end considering the amount of suffering and overall melancholic atmosphere. The end of the second half is brought to us via another Boatdrift Ceremony and the resulting events, when the Sea God finally understands his wrongdoings. The Shioshishio citizens wake up and the Sea God no longer wants any sacrifices to keep calm and everything going...that little prick. Our protagonists end up together happily with the exception of Miuna who's at least intend to simply get over her first love for the better of it.

The early epísodes of Nagi no Asukara made a pretty good impression with the exception of the 'MC' (there isn't really one single MC) Hikaru who went on my nerves big time then. Fortunately he actually does grow out of his major annoyances quickly and from thereon I liked most characters and could empathize with their situations somewhat well. They're no Chitanda or Oreki in terms of depths but they did feel like actual humans with personality and motivations.

As the show progressed we got tons of drama and a kind of ridiculous degree of love triangles...or strings or s.th. with just about everyone loving a person that loves someone entirely else in return. Yet, it all was executed fairly well and demonstrated to me once again that I can enjoy these scenarios or may even be a sucker for them, as long as I feel like I'm being presented with proper characters and no idiot-balling. There was arguably too little progression between the potential pairs and I was longing for some catharsis inbetween, not just a whole avalanche of it at the end but oh well.

The world building started of rather strong but I can't say that it really went anywhere interesting after the first half.I'm not much of a fan of this Sea God ordeal and him being a plot-driving asshole. Yeh the Sea Gods story and involvement is foreshadowed and somewhat well interwoven but feels rather simple and cheap. Towards the end it also felt like they just made up a bunch of bullshit with emotions flowing in the water, everyone and his mother gaining Ena when about to drown and so on.

Visuals were great and consistent. Same goes for the soundtrack that added a lot to the atmosphere, especially the more melancholic pieces such as this.

It's a solid show for me and gets a 7/10. I'd recommend it to everyone who may enjoy some drama and romance, with a few bits of fantasy.

Take one cute Manaka moment for the road!

Shouldda been a 9 or 10 out of ten. Even months later the anime is so memorable and everything, and never forget Ebb and Flow.

I dont understand the comparison to Hyouka characters though :/

Celestial Method 13 End

Overall, this wasn't that great. Drama was needlessly long at some parts, and often based off childhood mistakes that happened X years ago. Souta and Koharu were fairly pointless characters, Yuzuki only slightly less so because she had a small arc and is generally more outspoken than them. But that last episode wrapped things up fairly nicely, and the music worked really well for all the emotional scenes. I enjoyed it, but probably forgettable in the long run.

Jex

Wonder

FINALLY got around to watching this. Interesting and creative and all that - there's not much to say other than it's an excellent piece of independent animation. It's of course not what most people look for when they're watching anime, but it remains excellent animation nonetheless.

I note that, unsurprisingly, it has government funding. I suppose that's the only way someone like Mirai Mizue can afford to create things like this.
That's not entirely accurate. WONDER was a Kickstarter backed project where Mirai drew 24 frames of animation every day for a single year. WONDER is the result.

Kansoku

So what did you guys think of Amagi Brilliant Park? Just about to start watching it, KyoAni has been pretty hit or miss for awhile but it looks kinda interesting...worth the investment?

I had lots of fun with it. If you don't expect it to be something with interesting story, you certainly can enjoy it. It's just fun.

Jex

I don't think it's very good at all, which is about part for the course with KyoAni lately. It's a subject that could be theoretically interesting, but just about every aspect of the series is tiresomely average.

Shouldda been a 9 or 10 out of ten. Even months later the anime is so memorable and everything, and never forget Ebb and Flow.

I dont understand the comparison to Hyouka characters though :/

Well Hyouka has some of the best developed characters to me, so I just meant to say that the ones in Nagi no Asukara just don't feel on that level.

Jex

EDIT: Then again, I guess I'm out of date. Saw a bit of Kanata, but honestly Disappearance is the last one I really payed any attention to. Suppose it's time to just move on!

EDIT 2: Now I have to watch Disappearance again. God I wish the author would finish the series already ;-;
Reading between the lines here leads to to believe you haven't seen Hyouka? If not, that should really be your first port of call. It wasn't the AOTY for nothing. See AOTY 2012 here.

Midonin

Girlfriend Beta 12

The primary appeal of this lies in the voice acting. There's an all-star cast assembled here, featuring basically every major voice actor in the last 7 years. It's not for everyone, but I always looked forward to it, both as a salve for the tougher parts of Grisaia, and on its own merits. Things did happen, but it was more about spreading a cool, relaxed vibe. Though based on a dating social game, removing any hint of romance a la Koihime Musou's adaptation and turning it into a daily life kinda show may have been the best move, especially with a cast of this size.

Plus it opens up the possibility of yuri.

Having Miss Monochrome as a part of the cast was synergy-tastic, but my favorite girls were Nao Miyoshi, for having my favorite VA, and Chloe, for being Chloe. Her misunderstandings of Japanese pretty much got stretched to their limits in episode 11, but never wore out their welcome.

As a voice actor showcase, I enjoyed it. As a daily life show, I also enjoyed it. The quasi-anthology feel is something I've been missing since Sengoku Collection. Mobile games are the next big thing, and two of next season's most anticipated shows are based on them. The future is here.

For me, the future is a week from now. This Fall is done. No new episodes of anything until Milky Holmes TD debuts on Saturday.

Shergal

That's not entirely accurate. WONDER was a Kickstarter backed project where Mirai drew 24 frames of animation every day for a single year. WONDER is the result.

He uploaded the second of animation he did for each day to his Vimeo account, even. I dunno if seeing it develop like that while it was happening would've increased or decreased the impact of watching the final short all at once. I think the music is actually really important to how Mizue's shorts end up feeling so I guess it would still work.

phaze

Monster 34-37

Halfway through. That's got to be the longest buildup to the
(predictably unsuccessful) sniper assassination ever.
I suppose I should be happy that something of note finally happened after like 26 episodes but really, I have stopped caring about all those characters long time ago. The worst part is - the hook of Johan's past and of what makes him tick is probably enough to make me watch the rest of it.

I had lots of fun with it. If you don't expect it to be something with interesting story, you certainly can enjoy it. It's just fun.

Backing up this sentiment.

Didn't expect nothing when I first started episode 1.

But I can honestly say now, that I found Amagi genuinely fun to watch.

Probably because of its colorful cast of characters (Both Main and Supporting) and their splendid/humorous interactions with each other.

Clov

If that is the only thing good about it, you fill me with a lot of confidence.

Does it at least do the game any justice, I felt it had a decent story.

He's entirely wrong, actually. The opening theme is terrible.

The ending theme is the only good part of the anime. It's a pretty disappointing adaptation of the first game. Feels more like a highlight reel than anything; you barely get to know the supporting characters at all. In the game you could at least hang out with them and get to know them better. That's what made the deaths of certain characters have any impact, really; it was like a friend you had just gotten to know well had suddenly been taken away from you. Without that, there's no reason to care about the victims at all.

It also has a weird tendency to introduce evidence that isn't brought up again, since they had to make the trials shorter. It's very sloppy.

D-Gray Man Episode 60-67

Holy shit how OP are these Level 3 Akumas. I mean one of them almost wiped out a whole ship full of people with Exorcists on it. Bookman's needle ability was ineffective including Lavi's hammer. This Level 3 smug shit could control Gravity with his Dark Matter, which could stop other Exorcists from using there Innocence. Level 3 Akumas are on a different level compared to Level 1 and 2. Like I really don't want to find out if there are Level 4 or 5.

Man Lenalee's fight with the Level 3 Akuma was hype. She did get beaten up in the beginning due to the Dark Matter ability. Though when she went full activation of her Innocence, she annihilated that smug shit with her crystal sword looking weapon. That literally made me so happy.

I know there are some haters over Lenalee's new look due to the fight, but honestly she looks great.

IDtZWBx.jpg

Yeah people like that old twintail look, but really she looks great with short hair. Short hair FTW

Anyways I really felt bad for the crew on the ship. Almost every sailor died except for three and Anita and Mahoja also died all because of that attack. Now the Exorcists and the 3 survivors have to move on foward to Edo with the crews wish. Also did I forget to mention that there are a bunch of Level 3 Akumas and the Noah Clan including Millennium Earl in Edo. Yeah it's gonna be a rough trip. I forgot to mention Chomesuke is an awesome modified Akuma.

Allen is still training to regain his Innocence. It seems he's getting there, but he still has a long way to go. Also For the deity of the China base is a based character. Though it seems a Level 3 Akuma is on it's way to kill Allen, who was sent by Tsuki a Noah.

sonicmj1

That's also not entirely accurate. The Kickstarter for Wonder began right after Mirai completed his year-long drawing project, which was funded by the government. The Kickstarter paid for the music, editing it together, and preparing it for screening in movie theaters.

e_i

Planetes episode 26

Wow...this anime...makes every other anime look like complete shit. Now I see why people think so highly of it.

Nagi no Asukara is probably my AOTY. Even though the ending couldnt match the highs during the mid point, the visuals and soundtrack is just phenomenal. Also has the best ED themes along with Ping Pong and One Week Friends.

BosSin

He's entirely wrong, actually. The opening theme is terrible.

The ending theme is the only good part of the anime. It's a pretty disappointing adaptation of the first game. Feels more like a highlight reel than anything; you barely get to know the supporting characters at all. In the game you could at least hang out with them and get to know them better. That's what made the deaths of certain characters have any impact, really; it was like a friend you had just gotten to know well had suddenly been taken away from you. Without that, there's no reason to care about the victims at all.

It also has a weird tendency to introduce evidence that isn't brought up again, since they had to make the trials shorter. It's very sloppy.
Man... guess there's no point then

Quasar

Erroneously labeling everything Slice of Life will be the next big thing.

Thats how its always been. Same with these other stupid anime labels pretending to be genres like ecchi, harem, etc. I much prefer to use western genre labels (like romantic comedy or teen drama) where these shows obviously fit. That was normal western people understand what you mean too.

Beefeater

Banned
Monster 34-37

Halfway through. That's got to be the longest buildup to the
(predictably unsuccessful) sniper assassination ever.
I suppose I should be happy that something of note finally happened after like 26 episodes but really, I have stopped caring about all those characters long time ago. The worst part is - the hook of Johan's past and of what makes him tick is probably enough to make me watch the rest of it.

The series doesn't redeem itself. It's pretty much the same all the way through and there isn't much of a payoff at the end. Stop now and save yourself some hours of your life.

Planetes episode 24

DON'T DO IT AI! DON'T!

Planetes episode 25

*Breathes a sigh of relief*

Would you stop spoiling shit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom