• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 |OT2| Idly waiting for the Dog Days of Sabre

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still eagerly awaiting the HBO Guillermo Del Toro produced version. One day it'll come out.

As to the pacing that's such a minor issue for me in this series. It's pretty episodic at point with the over-all plot being reaching the end game but I never felt an episode was wasted on either characterization or plot progression.

ibyea

Banned
I'm still eagerly awaiting the HBO Guillermo Del Toro produced version. One day it'll come out.

As to the pacing that's such a minor issue for me in this series. It's pretty episodic at point with the over-all plot being reaching the end game but I never felt an episode was wasted on either characterization or plot progression.

It was only a minor issue for me for the same reason. And oh man am I excited for the HBO adaptation.

Clov

Well, I just finished watching Midori-ko. It was pretty good! The style used was great; you could really tell how much effort was put into the film. Even when it's showing the grotesque, it always looks good. It was as if I was watching "Saturn Devouring His Son" brought to life. The character designs were really interesting looking, with some having animal traits, others having body parts for heads. I loved where the story ended up too; I really didn't expect
our protagonist to join in the total chaos of everything, and claim the vegetable child's remains for herself.
Some parts were... a bit hard to stomach, so I can't really recommend this to everyone.
The scene where the vegetable baby chokes and its aftermath was disgusting. That part at the end where Midori bites out that guy's tongue was really nasty too.
Still, I'm glad I watched it. It was very unique!

I think I'm going to need to watch something colorful and happy next, though. If only there was more PriPara translated...

D-Gray Man Episode 68-75 Spoilers!!!!!!

These past episodes have been awesome, like hype worthy. Seeing Fou fight the Level 3 Akuma while impersonating as Allen was based. It actually made me feel a bit sad as she was sacrificing her life in order for Allen to escape. I gotta give props to Bak as he still tried to stop Allen from entering the fight even though he was blackmailed, being Lenalee's stalker. But man Allen's transformation into the Crowed Clown was amazing. Taking down that Level 3 Akuma never felt this good. His speech about his left hand is for saving Akuma while his right hand is for saving Humans/ precious friends was absolute hype.
niJOpeU.jpg

Allen's new appearance looks really great, gotta love that earring.

Kanda's fight with Tsuki and the Marshall's fight against the gigantic Akumas were great. It also seems as though Lenalee's innocence may be the heart since her equip type innocence saved her life again. Millennium Earl came in with a huge rape face when he was trying to attack Lenalee, but then Allen came in with a badass entrance and saved Lenalee.
0RYadjL.jpg

Yeah soooo good :0

It seems everyone's back together since Earl mysteriously left with the other Noah's.
4qRFXws.jpg

We get this amazing moment between Allen and Lenalee. 😭 I was seriously waiting for this moment to occur.
Then Millennium Earl's stupid umbrella had to go ruin Allen's and Lenalee's moment by stealing Lenalee away. Why do things like this always have to occur?

Vito

Banned
urasawa's a hack so its fine to take a shit on him

wow wonzo...

I spent the vast majority of the show wishing I could replace glasses girl with the sister in the hierarchy of romantic developments. Or any developments. Am I alone? I don't know, the main female protag just didn't do it for me.

No. Plus she has a hot sister. It's fairly obvious she doesn't have glasses, because if she did, then even glasses fetishist would have dumped the main girl:

Jex

The series doesn't redeem itself. It's pretty much the same all the way through and there isn't much of a payoff at the end. Stop now and save yourself some hours of your life.
Please, I don't want to see people lied to in this thread.

Lurky

So apparently my brother never heard about School Days before so I made him marathon it... It was great.

I remember why I hate anime now.

Jex

I feel like as my time available has diminished my tolerance for merely mediocre shows has correspondingly diminished. Of course, I never really watched mediocre shows anyway, but still... even stuff like Trigger's whatever battle just feels... pointless.

Of course, High School Based stuff reminds me too much of work, so that might be it as well.

Yes...that's right...welcome to my world.

cajunator

Banned
If it ends up being K-ON! mach 2 like the trailer makes it look, should be good! Nice to see an obscure instrument like the euphonium take the spotlight. Also nice seeing female low brass players represented; they're rather uncommon in my experience.

Agreed. Really excited for this! Especially if it is jazzy!

This looks like another MMO based anime. Is it?

Asking this in the middle of the start of Comiket is probably tantamount to asking for it to be completely ignored, but anyway: would anybody be interested in a sort of "Best of Fall 2014 Season Technical Awards" voting? Just for this thread. Stuff like Best Art Direction, Best Sound Direction, Best Animation, Best Soundtrack, Best Backgrounds, etc.

This sounds like a cool idea but Im not adept enough on the technical end of anime production to really contribute myself. I dont think many are.

Just give me a french horn girl and accurate instrument sakuga and I can put it at the top of my 2015 list.

AWESOMEBEAR has spoken!

NSFW https://yande.re/post/show/307402/terra_formars bunch of new pinups, Mikasa and Valmet just got some serious competition in the buff anime ladies department.

Also, Shirobako

Shirobako is happiness.

And holy shit at the Megami and Nyantype posters for Yuri Kuma Arashi.
Saliva!

Edit: There's a yuritastic one for the The Fruit of Grisaia too.

I need links. Please pm me links.

A nice reminder what they are about these days.

money/profit/survival?

What the fuck up with Kyoani's history washing from the "fans" recently anyway.

I dunno really. KyoAni has always been about pleasing the fans. Even Hyouka put some fanservice in there. People actl ike they are some perfect pure company just because they happen to be able to draw/animate well.

ANIME IS SAVED AGAIN

Much obliged with the resources! I'll definitely consider getting a MAL account sometime in the near future once I finally amass all my current noteworthy recommendations in a master document. Off the top of my head, I'm currently considering these titles:
  • Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day (2011)
  • Attack on Titan (2013)
  • Baccano! (2007)
  • Clannad (2007 - 2009)
  • Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion (2006 - 2008)
  • Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo (2005)
  • The Garden of Sinners (2007 - 2013)
  • Knights of Sidonia (2014 - 2015)
  • Last Exile (2003 - 2012)
  • Mushishi (2006 - 2014)
  • Psycho-Pass (2012 - 2015)
  • Soul Eater (2009)
  • Trigun (1998)

I honestly never even heard of the website until I took a glimpse into this thread. It appears to be quite reminiscent of MUBI based on the page features. I have an account with Letterboxd for organizing my general cinema taste, and I'm a bit more inclined toward MyAnimeList with their manga section and extended database, but I'll definitely keep the site in mind for future reference.

Thank you very much, cajunator! I hope others will find the list as appealing for those stumbling for recommendations.

Youre welcome :)
On that list I would recommend:
[*]Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day (2011)
[*]Baccano! (2007)
[*]Clannad (2007 - 2009)
[*]Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion (2006 - 2008)
[*]Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo (2005)
[*]Last Exile (2003 - 2012)
[*]Mushishi (2006 - 2014)
[*]Trigun (1998)

Baccano is a must watch for everybody and I'm still happy I was able to snag a limited edition blu-ray set from the US as they seem to have become hard to get in general

I still need to get this on bluray.

Yuki Yuna 1

When does this become Madoka?

It might actual have more despair than Madoka Magica, if you can believe that!

VICTORY

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Toradora Episode 18
Now back from the weird hiatus I took from this series, im very slowly being reminded of the last few episodes.
I remember coming to the realization that toradora is a pretty subtle harem anime, atleast through most of it but its all coming to a head now.
I still think Ryuuji should end up with
Minori
, but Im pretty sure the OTP has already been decided, but who knows, it might throw me for a loop.

faridmon

20th century boys and billy bat are indefensible

20th Century boy is the best Manga ever conceived.

I must walked into an alternate reality where Urasawa is money laundering hack who bribes politicians to gets his Manga voted up, that must be it. There is no explanation.

News to me, Parasyte's OP is almost entirely in broken English.

It sung by a shitty band, so its hardly a surprise.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Toradora Episode 19
Shit is happening...but theres like 5 episodes left, plus a OVA and like some other shit I need to watch

It'll be a fine line to cross is all I know. The anime was pretty much a perfect 1-to-1 adaptation so he can't just take directly from the source without looking redundant, but he can't deviate too much without risking alienating the fanbase. Personally I hope he goes and makes it his own property to differentiate itself from the manga. I trust him enough to do suspense well.

cajunator

Banned
Did someone said ANOHANA?!

Oh god why
Not like this
Not like this...

For Masashi Hamauzu I'll do it.

I even bought the piano arrangement album and score for it too.

AWESOMEBEAR is awesome

Erroneously labeling everything Slice of Life will be the next big thing.

I dont really understand how/why this is happening unless people really just dont watch the shows and think anything with more than one girl in it is slice of life moeshit.

Hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngh
I will die happy.
Dog Days and Kinmoza will save everything.

What is this?

So what did you guys think of Amagi Brilliant Park? Just about to start watching it, KyoAni has been pretty hit or miss for awhile but it looks kinda interesting...worth the investment?

Its a fun show. I think you might like it. Salama is the best.

I recommend Taiga. When you have it, all your list-making will be easier than using Notepad or whatever, and it will track your progress through each anime you watch. Not sure I would even bother with MAL without a program like Taiga, to be honest. It's great.

I've seen the above and would avoid the bolded. Underlined are probably the best objectively. AoT and CG are very flawed but can be super entertaining if they click with you. Trigun is ok.

Let me offer some recs in no particular order from other sides of the spectrum. IMO these are undeniable classics. For all I know you've seen them all, but eh.
Shows:

• [*]Kino's Journey
    [*]Welcome to the NHK
    [*]Tatami Galaxy
  • Mononoke
    [*]Giant Robo
    [*]Revolutionary Girl Utena
Movies
  • Death Billiards
    [*]Tokyo Godfathers
    [*]Redline

I recommend all of the bolded!

Planetes episode 21

Goddamnit Hakim.

Planetes episode 22

Goddamnit Hachimaki. Get it together.

Planetes episode 26

Wow...this anime...makes every other anime look like complete shit. Now I see why people think so highly of it.

Yeah that was quite the run of episodes. Planetes ended extremely strongly IMO.
It began as something that seemed entirely different.

Eh. Amaburi was exactly the same brand of bad comedy as Fumofu.

Fuck you.

*petpet

Accel World - 16

The training in this episode felt a lot like Hunter X Hunter's Nen training.

So it turns out in the Accelerated World, you can use willpower to influence reality there, which will help Haru to get his ability to fly back, even without his wings.

Honestly, I didn't expect to see that kind of Shounen-esque training in a show like this. I always like the whole "Willpower equals strength" trope in anime, so I thought that entire training segment of him climbing the tower was nicely done.

That being said though, I'm excited to see Haru make his awesome comeback soon now that he has this image training power.

Just started watching Inou-Battle and really like it. It seems it might be on of the surprises of the year if this keeps it up.

It was...Im gonna call it pleasantly mediocre, if that makes sense.

Shirobako 3

Yeah, I'm really not as enamored with this as others are. It's good and I like it but I think there's a degree of ineptitude and chaos in the workplace that just stresses me out by association rather than being any sort of a relaxing watch.

My job has a fair bit of stress but I enjoy the challenges. I probably make much less than most of you though!

Accel World - 17

OH HEEEEEELLLLLL NO. WHY THE CRAP WOULD YOU DO THAT.

NO. NOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Oh cool, next episode is a Kuroyukihime episode but regardless:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Accel World - 18

"Hey, were you shocked about what happened in episode 17? I bet you were! To help you relax, here's part one of a special two-parter episode about Kuroyukihime that we'll air immediately after episode 17."

I can only imagine how many people were pissed off at this and the episode after when it was airing. They were straight-up trolling here, haha. At least there was some decent character insight into Kuroyukihime in this episode though.

This was definitely episode whiplash. I like both ends of the spectrum though. the training arc and plot revelations followed by something more lighthearted and diversionary. Plus, Kuroyukihime focused episodes are the best!

Was Beyond the Boundary considered bad? I watched up to episode 8 today and thought that it was just a pretty show with good production values, didn't seem bad, but not great either. Even got some laughs out of me. Does something happen that makes it bad, or am I just missing something?

It was alright. Better than Hyouka.

Shirobako 4

nononoono I had this post sketched out in my head about how nice it was to get some downtime and how it being rare was likely the point of the first three episodes being so hectic and how the callback to the high school production was great as it was the source of their dreams and then the above happened and I wanted to crawl into a hole.

Now this I can relate to. I had a bunch of plans on my off week for CHristmas and afterward, even told everybody about all of it yet I still got a call because apparently my coworker came down with bad kidney stones FOR THE FOURTH TIME SINCE I HAVE WORKED THERE and I keep telling her to ly off the fucking monster energy drinks and sweets and shit but she doesnt listen. So basically I told them hell no Im not coming in to cover for her again. I enjoyed my week off and a trip to New Orleans.

So I never got around to buying the Gurren Lagann blu-ray set

It's "only" $500 at CDJapan right now with current exchange rate

Should I spring for that over the single Blu-Rays coming out atm here in the US

$500 vs $320

DO IT. DARE TO DREAM. I would have done it if I were a bigger fan of the series, but with...lets just say a whole lot of other anime related investments, I had to draw the line somewhere!

Let it call to you.

2014-12-2821.58.01glout.jpg

I have to admit though its freaking gorgeous. Im happy with the single volume releases though!

And Yet the Town Moves 1

Amazing show, incredible ED. Looks like I'm in for a treat.

You are. Trust me, trust everybody. YOU
ARE.

Let the glorious voice of Chiaki Omigawa soothe your soul.

:D
Bear has such great taste in things. That is why AWESOME.

Jintor

Toradora Episode 18
Now back from the weird hiatus I took from this series, im very slowly being reminded of the last few episodes.
I remember coming to the realization that toradora is a pretty subtle harem anime, atleast through most of it but its all coming to a head now.
Minori
, but Im pretty sure the OTP has already been decided, but who knows, it might throw me for a loop.

it's called toradora foxu

it's not called minoridora

Jintor

Planetes episode 26

Wow...this anime...makes every other anime look like complete shit. Now I see why people think so highly of it.

I experienced what I can only describe as a moment of emotional transcendence at the end of Planetes. It's a pretty weird thing to have crouched in the dark in a garage while you're sorting mail, let me tell you.
It's a decent high school part time job, don't judge

cajunator

Banned
wow wonzo...

No. Plus she has a hot sister. It's fairly obvious she doesn't have glasses, because if she did, then even glasses fetishist would have dumped the main girl:

Based KyoAni.

So apparently my brother never heard about School Days before so I made him marathon it... It was great.

I remember why I hate anime now.

You did a great thing. Someday he will understand.

phaze

The series doesn't redeem itself. It's pretty much the same all the way through and there isn't much of a payoff at the end. Stop now and save yourself some hours of your life.

lol I've heard about the disappointing ending for a while now. I'm actually curious if I will feel the same way about it.

And Yet the Town Moves 1

Amazing show, incredible ED. Looks like I'm in for a treat.

It has some of the most amazing comedic bits that I've seen.

never thought I'd see people hate on Monster. I don't know what real life is anymore.

It's okay we will always have our hate for Bebop to unite us.

Oh wait.

Toradora Episode 18
Minori

It's a really weird harem. I disliked the ending, curious what you will think of it.

Arondight

I feel like one of the reasons I didn't enjoy UBW as much is that I was expecting another Fate/Zero. The reasons why I liked Fate/Zero was that it was very adult and mature, and when comparing recurring characters such as Saber, UBW feels a lot more laid-back. Still, I enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to see the second cour which will hopefully live up to my expectations a bit more than this first cour did.

You probably will enjoy it and if it's not too late, avoid the preview of season 2. It's most likely going to get even more spoilery. UTW is a totally different atmosphere to F/Z and mostly contributed by the fact that most of them are teenagers and kind of makes sense when you realize some of them are heirs. Not much people kind of pick that up watching this show so their expectations are very high.
I just wish they kind of blended the routes a bit more though.

I'm pretty sad this hasn't happened yet. I doubt it'll happen any time soon.

I haven't watched the anime of monster but the manga is just a perfect read. It's incredibly haunting and chilling experience. Absolute masterpiece so I'm also pretty surprised people don't like it.

wonzo

Banned
20th Century boy is the best Manga ever conceived.

I must walked into an alternate reality where Urasawa is money laundering hack who bribes politicians to gets his Manga voted up, that must be it. There is no explanation.

the explanation is 20th century boys is a pile of shit so far up its own ass it even got a faux sequel

I'm pretty sad this hasn't happened yet. I doubt it'll happen any time soon.

I haven't watched the anime of monster but the manga is just a perfect read. It's incredibly haunting and chilling experience. Absolute masterpiece so I'm also pretty surprised people don't like it.

Yeah it's my most anticipated HBO title. It used to be American Gods but then HBO dropped it because they couldn't come up with a script that could do it justice. Funny enough I think Starz or another premium tv network gave no fucks and picked it up so we'll have to see how bad that ends up being.

I love Del Toro but I don't know if he would be the first person I would think of, but psychological drama/thriller doesn't sound too far off from his best work either.

Hastati

wow wonzo...

That's right. I remember the sister. Why can't we just have shows about these characters? I'd like a sequel around just those two please. Maybe like Railgun was to Index.

Monster is on hiatus for me. I think I was about 20 episodes in when I took a break and haven't touched it since. While I liked it overall, that far in it really is a slow slog and I was annoyed by how many flashbacks of previous episodes kept up playing. I'll continue it some day but I just can't find the motivation for it right now.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon R: Episode 67

Oh shit, it is THAT episode, I did not realize it was already upon us, when Viz said they got everything they were not kidding. Right, for those not in the know this is one of the most infamously bad episodes of Sailor Moon, an episode so toxic it was regularly skipped because it was boring and pointless filler even by Sailor Moon standards. SO here it is for the first time ever legally on North American shores and while it is terrible it is not the worst episode, that honor is still held by episode 20. Anyway the premise goes from standard dull ass beach episode to something that should be crazy awesome, the Sailor Scouts fighting a volcano in order to save a family of Plesiosauria from devastation but it all falls so flat, mainly because some asshead had the bright idea of making Chibi-Usa the focus of the episode. Nobody wants to see the pink witch demon and her clumsy attempts to bond with a baby Loch Ness Monster in order to fill up her insecurities. It is downright cringe inducing at times to be quite honest. Anyway, I suppose it is nice that this episode has come over for the sake of completeness but dear gods highest recommendation to avoid.

phaze

Ore Twintail ni Narimasu 05-07

With the inclusion of the yellow girl and of the human antagonist this reached previously unexplored levels of stupidity. Simply astounding.

Amagi Brilliant Park 01-06

This is surprisingly digestible watch so far. Fumoffu's two colleagues are the source of 80% of fun. As long as it will not descend into melodrama or cringeworthy romance I should be okay.

Inou Battle 02

Better than post-ep4 klk.

D-Frag ! 01-02

Seen this in many AotY lists and decided to give it a try. In the relentless barrage of jokes, some of them inevitably turn out to be duds + the small bit of drama was awful but other than that it was pretty great. If it keeps it up, it might just edge out Nozaki for me.

Vito

Banned
This looks like another MMO based anime. Is it?

http://www.yenpress.com/is-it-wrong-dungeon/

In Orario, fearless adventurers band together in search of fame and fortune within the monstrous underground labyrinth known as Dungeon. But while riches and renown are incentive enough for most, Bell Cranel, would-be hero extraordinaire, has bigger plans. He wants to pick up girls. Is it wrong to face the perils of Dungeon alone, in a single-member guild blessed by a failed goddess? Maybe. Is it wrong to dream of playing hero to hapless maidens in Dungeon? Maybe not. After one misguided adventure, Bell quickly discovers that anything can happen in the labyrinth–even chance encounters with beautiful women. The only problem? He’s the one who winds up the damsel in distress!

So kinda... no.

What is this?

Rest of Grisaia games getting anime adaptations in Spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom