• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 |OT2| Idly waiting for the Dog Days of Sabre

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I think there's also something to be said for actually enjoying shows.

People here seem to love Penguindrum and From The New World and I wouldn't put them in a top 100, let alone a top 10. But that's just me and my personal subjective opinion on those shows.

We all have our personal subjective opinions on the shows. The people who love them also are "personal subjective opinions", their love isn't more objective than your indifference.
Which is why anyone can post their favorite animes and the rest will read and appreciate or ignore or whatever that list.

Yuuki Yuuna - 12 [End]

Wow, I guess that Shinju-sama is a really nice guy. It was a happy ending, a bit too happy for my taste. But I'm okay with it.
Yuuna fainting at the end was weird.. I guess it's her being exhausted from recovery, but she seemed kinda surprised and there was that weird sound. I recall them "waking up" after their returns from the 'tree realm'. I also noticed everyone but her had those flowers on themselves after stopping the giant fireball as well.. Ugh I'm speculating too much again.

qsyqLMq.jpg
N5A0U67.jpg

dumbass

I think this show was alright, if not pretty good, it was worth watching in my opinion. It had some odd pacing with what was pretty much: action > 2 episodes of SoL > action > 2 episodes of SoL. I'd prefer if they blended it more.
I dig pretty much all of the main characters, they were all cute as hell, and one thing that stood out to me was Karin in episode 11. As with Madoka the action makes me too excited that it simply overshadows the other stuff for me, like it's almost painful to wait.

6.5/10

Rainy

Banned
Nagi no Asukara 1-6

One of my friends thought I might like it so I gave it a shot. I'm enjoying it so far because I love the melodramatic shit. (The crying though loool). I've heard the show gets worse as it gets into the second cour but I'll watch until the end.
Oh and the animation is ridiculously pretty.

Encouragement of Climb S1

Managed to watch this in one sitting before Crunchyroll took it down. All I can say is that it's a pleasant and cute little show with little to no drama. I'll probably check out Season 2 another time though, as that's apparently longer from what I've heard.

That and it's now Strike Witches time.

S-CRY-ED 15-16
G1hefVx.jpg

WHAT IS THIS SHOW

Well, I guess trying to trick someone with no memories by trying to make them think they had a harem is actually a pretty good plan.

Too bad Script Alter guy just has a shitty version of Heaven's Door that breaks super easily. At least it's better then the fat dudes watermelon Alter.

Oh and Kazuma got edgier. He also has one eye closed now so I guess he has double chuuni power comboed with his arm.

Jex

People here seem to love Penguindrum and From The New World and I wouldn't put them in a top 100, let alone a top 10. But that's just me and my personal subjective opinion on those shows.

And it is for this very reason that we have to have the occasional AOTY thread to save people from the idea that From the New World is a bad show!

I mean, most of the time I'd recommend that people carefully consider firehawk12's posts and pay attention to his views but everyone has to be disastrously wrong sometimes!

Hamst3r

I'm with ya on that.

cajunator

Banned
Encouragement of Climb S1

Managed to watch this in one sitting before Crunchyroll took it down. All I can say is that it's a pleasant and cute little show with little to no drama. I'll probably check out Season 2 another time though, as that's apparently longer from what I've heard.

That and it's now Strike Witches time.

Unfortunately I made it to episode 6 then the holidays happened.

And it is for this very reason that we have to have the occasional AOTY thread to save people from the idea that From the New World is a bad show!

I mean, most of the time I'd recommend that people carefully consider firehawk12's posts and pay attention to his views but everyone has to be disastrously wrong sometimes!

Who on earth thinks From the New World is bad?
Its one of the best anime of the past 5 years.

Yuuki Yuuna - 12 [End]

Wow, I guess that Shinju-sama is a really nice guy. It was a happy ending, a bit too happy for my taste. But I'm okay with it.
Yuuna fainting at the end was weird.. I guess it's her being exhausted from recovery, but she seemed kinda surprised and there was that weird sound. I recall them "waking up" after their returns from the 'tree realm'. I also noticed everyone but her had those flowers on themselves after stopping the giant fireball as well.. Ugh I'm speculating too much again.

I think this show was alright, if not pretty good, it was worth watching in my opinion. It had some odd pacing with what was pretty much: action > 2 episodes of SoL > action > 2 episodes of SoL. I'd prefer if they blended it more.
I dig pretty much all of the main characters, they were all cute as hell, and one thing that stood out to me was Karin in episode 11. As with Madoka the action makes me too excited that it simply overshadows the other stuff for me, like it's almost painful to wait.

6.5/10

You'renot thinking too much , that sound effect was indeed quite familliar.
It's an happy ending , but it's certainly not the end.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm with ya on that.

The indifference is real!

Well, at some point you have to trust the writer as well. I will say podcasts have helped solidify tv and film criticism to a point where I may not agree with a top ten list, but I can understand them.

I think the amalgamated top ten is useful as well, but it becomes an issue of knowing whether or not you yourself will like a show even if it is on a top ten. I'm never going to finish KLK or Fate Zero for example.

Also, I guess you like 10 minute infodumps!

We all have our personal subjective opinions on the shows. The people who love them also are "personal subjective opinions", their love isn't more objective than your indifference.
Which is why anyone can post their favorite animes and the rest will read and appreciate or ignore or whatever that list.
I just think the list should be a combination of "merit" and personal enjoyment. I was just lucky that Yamato and Hyouka were both for me. I guess Ping Pong is the only thing that comes close this year.

StormKing

Shin Sekai Yori is an anime with an amazing setting that squanders it on a coming of age story for the main character. Unfortunately the main character is used primarily as a tool to tell the story rather than someone who drives the plot forward. Ultimately the story concludes the same way it began, a false utopia founded on child murder, brainwashing and enslavement. The difference is that the main character now accepts this as the only way for humans to survive. The ultimate message is that you cannot change the world. Instead you must change for the world and accept the system. I find that dissatisfying. The most I can give it is a 8/10 mainly for the world building, the music and Squealer.

I just think the list should be a combination of "merit" and personal enjoyment..

I like to believe the things I enjoy personally, I enjoy them because they have merits that make them enjoyable. Same as everyone else.

It's just what it's "merit" is still highly subjective.

Yamato is super overrated btw :p.

Well Happy new Year in a few minutes people!

Jex

[Tsukimonogatari]

I miss the days of troll subs when this kind of release would be divided into 15 chunks released across a week. Or maybe I don't.

Either way, I assume we all know what to expect from -Monogatari at this point? It hasn't really been stylish since Bakemonogatari but everything else you'd expect is here:

- Long winded conversations
- Inappropriate scenes with girls
- Lots of text on screen
- Wacky reaction faces

I mean, if you liked Monogatari S2 this is more of that. It's not as bad as Nisemonogatari or as good as Bakemonogatari. SHAFT basically has these coming off a production line at this point and it really shows.

CDiggity

Tsukimonogatari

Typical SHAFT fare. If anything it reminded me that I probably will buy any decent Yotsugi merch since for some reason I really like her design.

Happy new years AnimeGAF (at least from where I'm at). We may not always look eye to eye and your favorite anime may be shit, but we still hold passion where it matters: Matthew McConaughey.

JCG

S-CRY-ED 15-16

Well, I guess trying to trick someone with no memories by trying to make them think they had a harem is actually a pretty good plan.

Too bad Script Alter guy just has a shitty version of Heaven's Door that breaks super easily. At least it's better then the fat dudes watermelon Alter.

Oh and Kazuma got edgier. He also has one eye closed now so I guess he has double chuuni power comboed with his arm.

At this point I'd probably tell people to watch the compilation films, Tao and Quan. They keep most of the highlights, cut out a lot of the fat and add a few new scenes, which generally tend to improve on the original show. The way they re-did the battle in episode thirteen was pretty fun, for example.

The story does feel compressed and jumps around a bit, of course, but you usually don't watch s-CRY-ed for that. I do miss the always slightly changing opening credits sequence from the TV show, that was a neat gimmick more series should use.

Sabagebu! 02-04

The black humour works for the most part. Who doesn't like to see cute anime girls with guns? There are even a few western references that come out of left field that got a good chuckle out of me. The club "pet" makes me wonder if it's a reference to Phineas and Ferb or just a happy coincidence.

Hmmm. I might have to agree. why not incorporate the girls with the most interesting personalities? all of these seem pretty safe. These arent the unhinged ones or the ones with fascinating quirks. they are just really plain looking.
It's difficult to judge fully with only the wiki for guidance, but still, I'm pretty baffled by some of the picks. Even when they have chosen oddballs, they've picked some really terrible ones like Miku (freakin' catgirls). With any luck Mayu'll kill half the cast during her cameo and they'll have to draft in superior replacements.

Mature

I haven't watched any -monogatari past Bake, but I think even a little more after that and it would have just started feeling contrived.

Branduil

Shin Sekai Yori is an anime with an amazing setting that squanders it on a coming of age story for the main character. Unfortunately the main character is used primarily as a tool to tell the story rather than someone who drives the plot forward. Ultimately the story concludes the same way it began, a false utopia founded on child murder, brainwashing and enslavement. The difference is that the main character now accepts this as the only way for humans to survive. The ultimate message is that you cannot change the world. Instead you must change for the world and accept the system. I find that dissatisfying. The most I can give it is a 8/10 mainly for the world building, the music and Squealer.

I feel like the story is a bit more nuanced than you're representing here.

Squealer was right.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's okay guys. For every -gatari you don't watch, I'll watch two!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
People blowing up real good.
RIP noitaminA.

It really does seem that simple when stated so plainly.
People can like something intellectually and emotionally though. It's up to you to decide how that affects your list.

Happy new years AnimeGAF (at least from where I'm at). We may not always look eye to eye and your favorite anime may be shit, but we still hold passion where it matters: Matthew McConaughey.
Time is an uguu circle.

Same. I tried to watch Nise but had to stop, the lewdness was too much.
Speaking of liking a show intellectually, maybe I am being intellectually dishonest when I say I don't really remember anything lewd. If nothing else Kaiki's introduction makes the series better in retrospect.

Tsukimonogatari

This was everything I expected it to be and more and I can't complain about that. If you don't like this series very long winded, deep and roundabout conversations, lewd interactions with the girls and the Shinobu and Ononoki being cute, then you still won't like this series. If ya do then here you go there's more of that here. At the end of it all I came away liking Ononoki more because it showed to a certain extent she has her own agency and thoughts about things despite being a doll and I think it a way it moved her and Ararararagi closer together because he learned something important about her as well.

I also want a figurine of Ononoki now as well.

~wan wan wan wan

survivor

Banned
Speaking of liking a show intellectually, maybe I am being intellectually dishonest when I say I don't really remember anything lewd. If nothing else Kaiki's introduction makes the series better in retrospect.

I think I stopped around the vampire girl bathing scene. Just stopped caring about putting up with that stuff to get to the good parts.

cajunator

Banned
It's difficult to judge fully with only the wiki for guidance, but still, I'm pretty baffled by some of the picks. Even when they have chosen oddballs, they've picked some really terrible ones like Miku (freakin' catgirls). With any luck Mayu'll kill half the cast during her cameo and they'll have to draft in superior replacements.

yeah maybe we will get lucky and Mirai or Sayoko will show up and yandere up the joint.

I disagree. Not everything has to have a heroic happy hollywood ending. The way the show ended seems fine really.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think I stopped around the vampire girl bathing scene. Just stopped caring about putting up with that stuff to get to the good parts.
I saw and still see the series as a whole as one that uses sexuality as part of the converstional dynamics between the characters. It's not a sister trapped in a chastity belt until she fucks her brother anyway.

cajunator

Banned
I saw and still see the series as a whole as one that uses sexuality as part of the converstional dynamics between the characters. It's not a sister trapped in a chastity belt until she fucks her brother anyway.

Monogatari is way waaaaaaaaay better than ImoCho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom