• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 |OT2| Idly waiting for the Dog Days of Sabre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vito

Banned
Kinema Citrus

2015.jpg

Masayoshi Tanaka (char designer)

cajunator

Banned
Praise Yeezus.

The two best mascots finally have a scene together.

And what a scene it was.

Bless Earth's heart for having the 2nd best suggestion.

http://a.pomf.se/rurosb.webm

Equal opportunity fanservice is always a plus.

Pretty surprised to see another show containing a horse giving birth at the end.

Didn't expect to see it happen again after watching Walkure.

Muse's reaction in that picture is so adorable.

Yuki-Nagato-the-melancholy-of-haruhi-suzumiya-32311582-450-258.gif

Noticed it in the crunchyroll ddos thread. What anime has the best computers in it? Look at those LAN cables and that hot OS action. I don't actually know what Yuki is doing but at least she's opening up like twenty Command Prompts to do it!

Chobits! :D

GA Geijutsuka Art Design Class episode 1

Now I know what happens when you give the Hidamari Sketch girls caffeine. Go go Color Rangers! Also, Kisaragi needs smaller glasses.

This sounds relevant to my interests.

Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu - 11

Another great episode. Once again filled with just the right amount of comedy, and we got to see Sousuke's super nice side again in this episode in which he helps an old woman buy a present for her grandson.

Not to mention that last scene with him and Chidori in that kimono outfit was super sweet. :)

Chidori in a kimono was a highlight of the series I must say.

Even if I agreed with all four of those (I agree with some of it to be fair) thise factors do not directly imply that KLK is a bad show.

Treating anime (or entertainment in general really) like some sort of math problem is exactly the type of stupid nonsense I was talking about earlier.

Agree to this. Sometimes a show is really enjoyable and theres no quantifiable reason why. It might be bad writing, weak characters, poor execution but still entertain immensely. Anime is more than a bunch of stats or ratings, its an experience.

That's pretty much my viewpoint. You can tell they had fun making it, and those feelings came across to me. I love that he goes for broke and just gets it done.

Oh fuck, can you imagine the cuts?

Godot having a mug slide into his hand.
Slams the cup on the desk.
Watching a close up of the air splatter of the coffee glisten in the air.
Closeup of Godot making an outrageous refutation.
Godot does a headtilt.
Godot starts belittling Phoenix about something he's going to disprove.
Single frame cuts to all characters responding to his statement in shock in 3 colors only (representing their primary character color palette, Phoenix is a hair cutout, the judge his beard, Maya is her magatama).
Then cutting to the courtroom pan.

All in 20 seconds to 1 minutes.

I want this. I can see it in my mind. I'm going to dream of this.

BEAR you are a goddamned GENIUS.

I like the art style here again. Shows with adventurous art tend to stand out to me even if the subject is a bit plain.

The iM@S Cinderella Girls website gets updated and my dreams continue to die. The characters page only lists the above 14 and relegates the rest to falling under:

ForB709.png

So Koume, Syoko, Mayu and Sachiko will likely only get brief appearances. Whoever's responsible for this needs to be fired. Preferably out of a large cannon.

Hmmm. I might have to agree. why not incorporate the girls with the most interesting personalities? all of these seem pretty safe. These arent the unhinged ones or the ones with fascinating quirks. they are just really plain looking.

Thinking of giving You're Under Arrest a shot.

DO THIS ASAP. You wont regret it!! Theres a whole lot of it too!

Prisma Illya comes back in the summer http://anime.prisma-illya.jp/img/top/mainvisual_03.jpg

Cross Ange hype

Koufuku Graffiti illustration on top of Shaft's page

Sunrise NY card

cheers

Hi-sCool! Seha Girls 13

Too bad :p

It's a sadder ending than expected, with the graduation and all.

It's gdgd Fairies with more Sega and less improv. If you didn't like gdgd Fairies, then you'd probably won't like this either. If you liked gdgd Fairies or Sega then this is for you.

3/5 Sega consoles, because Sega:
bnu6nEv.png
kbRCBMP.png
SxbVklK.png
3LuXVL3.png
0JAutx4.png

/XX/

Who MOGRA here? The final 'anisong' push with DJ Shimamura, kz & D-YAMA is commencing now...

That's overthinking a list thread just meant to share shows people may have not given a chance over the year!
Yeah, I like that (semi)veiled aspect of it, even the feigning of superiority and playful bickering spawned from list comparisons it also creates... :)

... and of course I was over-thinking that tripe of a justification I typed! But I can't deny it is what I wanted to say at the moment. :p

Jarmel

Banned
So I'm not going crazy.

I've always somewhat liked the score for FSN Deen version. Here, the only memorable piece is the new Illusion version. It's a completely forgettable score. It's not bad like some of Parasyte's stuff but absolutely nothing has left an impression so far. Look at F/Z's score which had a grand and epic feel that help make the work feel larger through heavy use of vocals for example.

Blusby

I've always somewhat liked the score for FSN Deen version. Here, the only memorable piece is the new Illusion version. It's a completely forgettable score. It's not bad like some of Parasyte's stuff but absolutely nothing has left an impression so far. Look at F/Z's score which had a grand and epic feel that help make the work feel larger through heavy use of vocals for example.

I dunno' about that, Fukasawa's work in my opinion has been more on point. Kajiura's death march music for Zero was often times overbearing, meanwhile Fukasawa's tracks synch with the scene in which they're used in well and build a much stronger atmosphere for it.

Midonin

So, Tsukimonogatari. It's clear that between all these individual stories, some overplot is being built up. I have to wonder if the "search for Oshino" thing could be referring to Ougi as much as it is Meme. Because Ougi was just there when Koyomi landed, and spoke as cryptically as everyone else has in this show. The
"you can no longer use your vampiric powers"
thing introduces a new wrinkle into the final season - and makes me wonder what the release schedule for the final season is. Watching a complete book animated at once as a sort of mini-movie, like Hana or Tsuki, does have its merits. You get to see the complete story, you get a better idea of how the multiple episodes tie together. But at the same time, taking in that much talking at once is kinda exhausting on the brain.

Great bath scenes, just as expected from this show. Tsukihi's just as bad as Karen when it comes to teasing her brother about these things. I liked the OP and ED, too. Hayamin's first and probably only song made a good impression. Having her do the Sailor Moon and Cure Heart poses during the episode was also a cute little nod. The new ClariS also sounds alright.

I know the rest of the Final Season is coming at some point, but even as of now, there's still no date of arrival for the Kizu movie. Or Nanoha Reflection, but that's not part of this franchise.

Robotguy

Gugure! Kokkuri-san 12

Happy new year.

It's a combined Christmas and New Years episode to end the show.

The first episode was really really good, but then it kinda drops off a bit, and that's too bad. It's still entertaining and it some episodes got really good parts as well, but it never gets as funny (and slightly dark) as the first episode.

Some of the later episodes have some touching moments that are good, but they often comes from other characters than the main cast so that's a bit weird.

The OP is great and the ED isn't too bad either.

Overall it's good enough, so it gets 3.5/5 Inugamis:
UbMB3YD.png
UbMB3YD.png
UbMB3YD.png
RG8VP4l.png
oRJcLBb.png
Isn't fewer Inugamis better though?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The series is a mixture of new stuff and old assets, yes. Or at least, they use old models in the game; I doubt that it's actually videogame footage with them added in, that would rarely work as you'd know if you'd watched (more of) the show, but they clearly use the actual models from the games. But yeah, start from the beginning, it's good, really!

Not even close! Neptunia is creepy-anime. It's got far too much awful loli-"fanservice", has some quasi-loli-rape imagery (see ep. 2 of the anime, I think it was? Aka 'where I stopped watching the anime'.), is all about moe and fanservice, the main character is kind of an idiot, etc. I was interested in Neptunia, in concept, until I actually read/watched a bit of the series; that sure cured my interest fast. That franchise has quite a few of the worse things about anime and Japanese videogames in it... and the "gamer" stuff seems to mostly be just window-dressing, too. It's a anime/game series set in a videogame-themed world, not a series about videogames. At least, that's my impression of it. I haven't played any of the games, after all. I don't have a PS3.

SeHa Girl, however, is nothing at all like that! Apart from both having Sega hardware girls in them and some comedy, the two shows couldn't be more different. SeHa Girl is normal stuff, you see -- it's probably aimed at the mass market, not Neptunia's creepy-otakus-only audience. Or at least SeHa Girl is for a wider market of gamers and the like, for sure.

Yes, the three characters are cute girls, but if you actually watch the show, you'd see that it's got no overly creepy content, no messed up sexualization of too-young characters, no brain-dead idiot for a protagonist, etc. SeHa Girl is a videogame reference and comedy series, period. It's got lots of gamer humor, silly jokes, lots of the three characters playing off of eachother, and the like. There IS some anime-girl fanservice stuff, but it's a relatively minor part of the show, I'd say. It's an amusing comedy show, not Neptunia dreck, and of course the videogame references and game-worlds are mostly great fun too. Each episode (apart from the last one) uses one or two franchises which the girls visit; it's a trip through Sega history, with those three having silly experiences in each world. Each episode, thus, has a completely different game as a setting, outside of the segments in Sehagaga Academy where the girls are all together as chibis (they turn into the "normal" forms once they travel to a game world). It's a 3d anime so they mostly visit only polygonal 3d games, but the last episode does have some Space Harrier in it, which was cool. Otherwise they visit that RPG (what is it, a phone game?), Puyo Puyo, Jet Set/Grind Radio, Virtua Fighter 1, Space Channel 5, and more.

As for the characters:

Dreamcast is the cute one. She does the cute-tripping stuff. She also likes taking photos of the others (slightly overdone on one occasion). She gets through the Virtua Fighter episode... uniquely. Sometimes she's funny, other times not. The jokes where she tries to use her modem to look up information are pretty amusing. Dialup internet is slow, but she seems to think it's a good idea... :)

Saturn is the attractive one. She clearly cares about her looks. She's also twin-tailed, so there's some tsun too. There are also running jokes about how she frequently gets unfairly punished (medals taken away, etc.) for random reasons at the ends of episodes. The others also like to joke that she likes old men, most notably Jeffry and Gilius Thunderhead. Heh. (Of course she denies it, and who knows, maybe she's telling the truth about that, this is a comedy show and not a romance!)

Megadrive is the smart one. She's got a book with lots of information about games in it. She's not very good at athletics -- her performance in the Space Channel 5 episode is quite bad. She's not much better on rollerskates (Jet Set Radio!), either... but is better at things which involve more thinking, of course. She's a bit more reserved than the others, but gets drawn into stuff plenty. I mean, this is a comedy, they've got to play off of eachother constantly after all. :p

With only this many episodes, they clearly chose to focus on only the three main systems which people in Japan would recognize the most... but yeah, Master System should have been there. The SMS sold better than the Saturn or Dreamcast worldwide, after all. They should make another season with the SMS, SG-1000, Sega CD, 32X, and Game Gear... it'd be fun! :) And how about VMU, as well?
I appreciate your enthusiasm for the show, but I don't think I'm a big enough fan of Sega for the show to resonate with me. I suppose in a way, the premise as you describe it kind of suggests that this is basically Reboot but with officially licensed games. lol

Not that I finished Neptunia, but I have to assume this show is going for the same audience in some way. I mean, you don't turn them into girls and not want that audience to watch your show.

One thing I wonder if there was a Nintendo version of this show if more people would have watched it though. There's probably more nostalgia anyway.

... Ukraine? Is that what you're calling Russia Jr.? Kind of makes sense, I guess. She didn't do much in the OVA, which is just fine for one of the least interesting characters.

As for Russia, yeah, something was inevitable -- I mean, she was going to end up in the harem eventually, as her randomly appearing in the ED in the last episode of S2 proved for certain -- but that was such a ridiculously unbelievable way to do it. No way would she actually get shot like that, I've watched season 2!
The assassination of her character is terrible, but I think the fact that the OVA turned into a psychosexual examination of the harem genre made up for that. I mean, the dude fighting himself in order to prevent the girls from having sex is just genius and is basically the perfect counterpart to School Days.

jman2050

Tsukimonogatari

Came for the doll and Kagenui, stayed for the Lewd Fire Sisters.

Also Senjougahara reaffirms her best girl status in the face of admittedly stiff competition in record time, that's impressive.

Jarmel

Banned
I dunno' about that, Fukasawa's work in my opinion has been more on point. Kajiura's death march music for Zero was often times overbearing, meanwhile Fukasawa's tracks synch with the scene in which they're used in well and build a much stronger atmosphere for it.

Fukusawa's work for the 'happier' moments is fine, although it's certainly not exemplerary. The bigger problem is the dramatic moments where his music just completely goes to the background. Kajiura's music for F/Z was perfect for those dramatic elements as it's a tragedy and the work as a whole is supposed to be oppresive. Her workgave additional weight to many of the serious elements while Fukusawa's stuff might as well might not be playing at all.

Hamst3r

Tsukimonogatari, like Hanamonogatari, felt about an hour too long for what little actually took place.

2713281-3158925016-Vampi.gif

is there a guide on how to watch the Monogatari series?

If I remember correctly, it's Bake > Nise > Neko > Second Season > Hana > Tsuki.

But, imo, you could just go Bake > Nise > Second Season.

or really Bake > Second Season, and stop there, because the other installments aren't anywhere as good.

Tsukimonogatari, like Hanamonogatari, felt about an hour too long for what little actually took place.

2713281-3158925016-Vampi.gif

If I remember correctly, it's Bake > Nise > Neko > Second Season > Hana > Tsuki.

But, imo, you could just go Bake > Nise > Second Season.

or really Bake > Second Season, and stop there, because the other installments aren't anywhere as good.

Why wouldn't you watch the beginning (Neko) and the end (Hana) of Hanamonogatari?

Especially they are ones of the better arcs.

Jex

I appreciate the interest, man... and I love the effort you guys put on sharing your nicest words to recommend works with such an inspiring illusion, I seriously do... but there are things I won't personally feel fine doing and one is ranking punctual feelings towards a show, and judge them confronted to other much different but similarly fleeting feelings over the (somewhat arbitrary in the flow of one person's life) time-span of one year. I think there are appropriate moments, as much as there are many emotional states to pass, to enjoy, revisit and reflect about many broad works without having to miss any of them based on one time's perceived value.

Sorry, I don't want to come as such a strange fellow sometimes, being in a community means leaving aside such individual pet-peeves momentarily... but that is how I always felt about it out of respect for those works themselves and myself... as I also explained before too! But of course I'll keep and eye on that thread for sure. :-D
As I am sure you appreciate, the point of AOTY is not to rank your personal favourite anime to the world. It's true purpose is to champion some worthy anime to the wider public.

Ranking anything in a "Top 10 List" is is supposed to reveal some objective truth about the quality of said works, however it's obviously an arbitrary exercise based around the mood you happen to be in when you write the list on a particular day. For that very reason I can see you why you'd shy away from such a crass exercise.

However, as I have indicated above, creating an AOTY list serves other purposes, mainly championing worthy shows to give them some more exposure. Considering that your posts are, in general, high quality you could certainly hope some shows get more exposure based on your write-ups.

Of course, if you're not really interested in the exercise then that's fair enough.

Hamst3r

Why wouldn't you watch the beginning (Neko) and the end (Hana) of Hanamonogatari?

Especially they are ones of the better arcs.

Because I don't think they're that good. I found everything that happened in Bake and 2nd Season way more interesting than anything that happened in Neko or Hana. Those arcs could have been a single episode, or two episodes, in one of the bigger installments.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
As I am sure you appreciate, the point of AOTY is not to rank your personal favourite anime to the world. It's true purpose is to champion some worthy anime to the wider public.

Ranking anything in a "Top 10 List" is is supposed to reveal some objective truth about the quality of said works, however it's obviously an arbitrary exercise based around the mood you happen to be in when you write the list on a particular day. For that very reason I can see you why you'd shy away from such a crass exercise.

However, as I have indicated above, creating an AOTY list serves other purposes, mainly championing worthy shows to give them some more exposure. Considering that your posts are, in general, high quality you could certainly hope some shows get more exposure based on your write-ups.

Of course, if you're not really interested in the exercise then that's fair enough.
Well, I think there's also something to be said for actually enjoying shows.

People here seem to love Penguindrum and From The New World and I wouldn't put them in a top 100, let alone a top 10. But that's just me and my personal subjective opinion on those shows.

cajunator

Banned

People here seem to love Penguindrum and From The New World and I wouldn't put them in a top 100, let alone a top 10. But that's just me and my personal subjective opinion on those shows.

Those two shows are so unique. I really love both of them.
Not sure how I'd rank them on my all time list.

Narag

Where would you rank such shows as LOGH or Utena though?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom