• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 |OT2| Idly waiting for the Dog Days of Sabre

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forbidden fruit really doesn't work in this context though unless it's something like Kyoko being abducted, similar to Snow White.

Raspberries can represent protection because of the thorns.

Apples were used in the series when Kyoko was explaining her forbidden wish. I thought her being the apple was just an extension of that.

As for the raspberry's thorns I guess you could suggest
Sayaka was originally a witch from the previous time line (the thorns) but has grown/returned from the stem into a sweet fruit (magical girl).

Mazinkaiser 1

The re-imagining of the very first Super Robot Show. Here we trade the ridiculous looking Mazinger Z for the far better looking Mazinkaiser. I'm expecting pure, unadulterated Super Robot fun in the coming episodes.

Narag

Mazinkaiser 1

The re-imagining of the very first Super Robot Show. Here we trade the ridiculous looking Mazinger Z for the far better looking Mazinkaiser. I'm expecting pure, unadulterated Super Robot fun in the coming episodes.

It's more of a pseudo-sequel than re-imagining. Also be sure to check out the superior Mazinkaiser vs the General of Darkness OVA!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Monogatari is way waaaaaaaaay better than ImoCho.
Well, there's that too. :p
Madoka Rebellion is to Madoka Magica what Eureka Seven AO is to Eureka Seven.
No. Just no.
---
Birdman
SDBurton review: "Suddenly, lesbians."
firehawk12 review: "It's this year's gravity."

I don't really know what I think of the film as a narrative, but the idea of trying to make the film one gigantic long take is some dark voodoo magic. I will admit, I ended up distracting myself trying to look for the transitions, and clearly Lubezki is working with a font of knowledge on how to make films look like this, but it feels natural in this context. What's doubly impressive is that if Gravity captured the endlessness of space, then Birdman captures the frenetic energy of theater.

At the very least, I find it odd that this film is more thought provoking than Interstellar.

Jarmel

Banned
Rage of Bahamut-[10-12]
ibxaZSVB6jqblH.jpg

It's like I traveled through time into last week where I played this exact sequence in Wonderful 101.
Hmmm. It was okay I guess. I feel like there was some bloat with the Jeanne thing and Beelzebub really was an idiot. So yea it's not as tight as it should be. I also feel the whole Bahamut thing really dragged down the show as it lost a lot of fun and character that it had in earlier episodes.
igfPt3RNvo3sQ.jpg

Amazing that they played this joke straight. Absolutely amazing.
One comparison I keep thinking of is Samurai Champloo and I feel the conclusion there to be much stronger. Here I feel like the focus on the characters got lost a bit, although I will admit that it's still there.

The animation dipped in episode 10 but 12 had some really good cuts, so I guess it works itself out in the end. The Favaro/Kaiser bit was really good, although a bit too short.

Xeteh

So as someone completely out of touch with anime I finished the Hunter x Hunter remake last night... Is the manga ahead of the anime or is that on hold too? There was a good hot minute where I was really annoyed with
....Gon
during that last arc but I'm pretty happy with how things ended up.

S-CRY-ED

Do you like to see people punching other people? Do you like to hear people's names being yelled when they are punching, and just a lot of yelling in general?
I have a show for you.
It's this one.

If I had to sum up this show, it would be that it is definitely first in the extremely competitive category of "Most Early 2000's Sunrise show". People fight with Alters, which are like Stands except shittier and everyone can see them. I must say that I don't think even Araki could come up with the fat guy's watermelon one. I'm still not really sure what it even did.
There's a zone where Alters come from like that place from Needless which is where the main character Kazuya comes from. with an Alter that's a chuuni arm punches people from an organization called HOLY. There's another dude named Ryuho from an organization called HOLY and they punch each other. There's also this thing that makes a noise like a whale dying that Ryuho is after that looks like an evil Star Platinum. And lots of dreaming and talking about dreams. I like the main pair well enough.

Later the punching gets a bit more complicated and some dude from the Main Land named KYOJIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII comes in. He was pretty lame and basically just turned into a JRPG final boss, kidnapping the MC's kind-of imouto and hiding at the top of a big tower. His power is also the groan-worthy ability of stealing everyone elses abilities, AKA the most boring final bad guy power. If this show wanted to learn from JoJo it should've made the final enemies power threatening. But really that doesn't matter since he turns into a big gray blob Groudon thing for a reason? And then Dante and Vergil have a big fight at the end and it turns into DBZ because they are fighting in space and doing the "moving so fast we can't animate them" shtick. I don't know how these guys got Saiyan powers and others got watermelons. But the real last fight is something I really love, when the two characters just throw away their weapons or abilities and (get ready) PUNCH EACH OTHER when they have no strength left.
I have no idea why this show needed two recap episodes, it's not like the plot is super intricate. It's just punching. Even worse they are more like half recap episodes because while they were talking about shit that you already saw over a color filter, there would sometimes be new stuff thrown in at random. I skipped the first recap episode because I didn't know the second half wasn't recap.

I have to give it points for the good OP and the fact that it changes, because I love that.

Well, it was a nice diversion from G Gundam but I think I'll get back to the main dish now, as there are quite a few similarities. S-CRY-ED (what does that even mean) was a stupid, fun show, but it really is from that early 2000's era. You can probably tell just by looking at the two images above. I feel like me and my friends would've rented this when we were younger.

As a last thought, Straight Cougar was the best character, only half of the reason being his name is STRAIGHT COUGAR, the perfect name for a character who's Alter is to go fast.

I watched around 14 episodes of this show today. I don't know how either.

So as someone completely out of touch with anime I finished the Hunter x Hunter remake last night... Is the manga ahead of the anime or is that on hold too? There was a good hot minute where I was really annoyed with
....Gon

you have some chapters ahead starring ging and the aftermath of the hunter association after the election PLUS some reveals.

You should read it ASAP and then curse the heavens after joining the waiting club for more.

....Gon

That is a dark road to start on.
The manga is ahead, by about 10 or so chapters. It is currently on hiatus, the last hiatus ended the chapter after they stopped adapting, we got around 8 in this batch around August, I think it was. 340 was the first chapter that wasn't adapted, you might go back a few before since I think they changed some little things to make the anime ending seem more complete.
We are still in the set up portion of the arc as well, one that I could see easily being longer then the Chimaera Ant Arc.

Of course the chances of more HxH anime outside of movies is very low.
Make your choice.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
S-CRY-ED was one of the blandest anime I have ever watched, indeed, I am still trying to figure out why Adult Swim picked thsi up back in the day.

Xeteh

you have some chapters ahead starring ging and the aftermath of the hunter association after the election PLUS some reveals.

You should read it ASAP and then curse the heavens after joining the waiting club for more.

That is a dark road to start on.
The manga is ahead, by about 10 or so chapters. It is currently on hiatus, the last hiatus ended the chapter after they stopped adapting, we got around 8 in this batch around August, I think it was. 340 was the first chapter that wasn't adapted, you might go back a few before since I think they changed some little things to make the anime ending seem more complete.
We are still in the set up portion of the arc as well, one that I could see easily being longer then the Chimaera Ant Arc.

Of course the chances of more HxH anime outside of movies is very low.
Make your choice.

Thanks guys. Is there any idea on when the manga will start back up again or is it just one of those "its on hiatus, restart is TBA" kind of things? I'm definitely willing to read the manga if that will be the way to go about it. It was a fun ride.

S-CRY-ED

I have no idea why this show needed two recap episodes, it's not like the plot is super intricate. It's just punching. Even worse they are more like half recap episodes because while they were talking about shit that you already saw over a color filter, there would sometimes be new stuff thrown in at random. I skipped the first recap episode because I didn't know the second half wasn't recap.

Recap episodes are practically never done because the creative team feels the audience needs a refresher on what happened; they are done because the production has run into a snag and they need to air old material as a stopgap measure. I do agree with you that quasi-recap episodes are pretty annoying; at least regular recap episodes you can skip without harm, but with partial recap episodes you have to sit through all the old stuff so you can get the new bits of plot mixed in. This was a practice that seems to have been decently common back in the late 1990s/early 2000s era; I ran into the same thing in Infinite Ryvius.

Thanks guys. Is there any idea on when the manga will start back up again or is it just one of those "its on hiatus, restart is TBA" kind of things? I'm definitely willing to read the manga if that will be the way to go about it. It was a fun ride.

There's no indication when it will start again. You just got to wait and pray, and then pray harder when it comes back that it will last.

Recap episodes are practically never done because the creative team feels the audience needs a refresher on what happened; they are done because the production has run into a snag and they need to air old material as a stopgap measure. I do agree with you that quasi-recap episodes are pretty annoying; at least regular recap episodes you can skip without harm, but with partial recap episodes you have to sit through all the old stuff so you can get the new bits of plot mixed in. This was a practice that seems to have been decently common back in the late 1990s/early 2000s era; I ran into the same thing in Infinite Ryvius.

Yeah I know, my real problem was it not just being a straight forward recap episode. It's even worse when they try and do both.
But I will amend that "I had no idea why it needed recap episodes".

When Dragon Quest ceases to exist from this Earth.

Joking aside its basically when Togashi the author feels like it. If not you'll be waiting for a long fuckin time. It's truly suffering.

Shit at this point I really don't care if Hunter X Hunter ends because I've given up on Togashi's laziness.

Sorry for being salty.

Hiatus_Chart.png

This is pretty much how much he's been on haitus. Anime continuation is not gonna come in a really long time.

Xeteh

There's no indication when it will start again. You just got to wait and pray, and then pray harder when it comes back that it will last.

Joking aside its basically when Togashi the author feels like it. If not you'll be waiting for a long fuckin time. It's truly suffering.

Shit at this point I really don't care if Hunter X Hunter ends because I've given up on Togashi's laziness.

Sorry for being salty.

Thanks again, that is a bummer. And Aqua, I don't blame you... I can imagine is sucks if you've been waiting for a while.

It was a really cool anime to watch, I liked the characters... even characters I expected to hate ended up being really cool like Hisoka. Hopefully it starts up sooner rather than later, I definitely want to see where everything is going. I need more Bisky in my life.

Squishy3

Sorry for being salty.
He and Miura are probably yucking it up in a bar right now.

It's more of a pseudo-sequel than re-imagining. Also be sure to check out the superior Mazinkaiser vs the General of Darkness OVA!

I will do so after finishing the Mazinkaiser proper. Annoyingly the OVA doesn't seem to included in the DVD so I'll have to find other means of watching it. In the meantime...

Mazinkaiser 2

How do you know Mazinkaiser is stupidly overpowered? When the main issue with piloting Mazinkaiser is losing control of it and potentially killing Kouji in the process due to it being so powerful.

Also the dubs pronunciation of several names is bugging me. Why are they pronouncing Sayaka as Sa-ya-ka or for that matter Mazinger as Ma-zin-ger? It doesn't sound right to me.

Jarmel

Banned
Trinity Seven-11

Holy fucking shit, talk about exposition dumps in your fights. My god, I don't think people stopped talking this episode.

Narag

Shirobako 7

Really liked this one as it was similar to the Endou-centric episodes in that it wasn't just how anime is made + problem of the week. Miyamori's sister showing up had this superficial strangeness to it that was instead refreshing as it brought with it something of a work-life balance as well that does wonders for characterization as people begin to feel more well rounded rather than just their job title.

Jarmel

Banned
Debating about dropping Log and Gundam Reconguista. Has either improved in the last month I guess? I might keep Log but really looking to axe Reconguista.

Debating about dropping Log and Gundam Reconguista. Has either improved in the last month I guess? I might keep Log but really looking to axe Reconguista.

Log Horizon has gotten better, I think.
It's hard to tell someone if G Reco has gotten better, because if they didn't like it before I don't think anything that has happened will make them like it now. The story has progressed a lot, though.

Amagi Brilliant Park 10-13

I knew that stadium would be used for something. You don't just mention something then linger on it for a bit and not have it come up later in the story.
Also totally saw that business guy from the beginning not being on the straight and narrow. You don't walk around in anime with a perpetual douchebag smirk and not be a villain.
Even though the ending was sappy as all hell, I kind of enjoy sappy/happy endings, so I'm not complaining. While I'm still bitter about no Full Metal Panic Season 3 I enjoyed this show enough that I don't mind it.

fertygo

I slipped one week into G-Loco back then when had internet problem, never look back again.. felt so free.

Its reached bomba status anyway so even the trend reason to watch is gone lulz

Jex

Well, at some point you have to trust the writer as well. I will say podcasts have helped solidify tv and film criticism to a point where I may not agree with a top ten list, but I can understand them.

I think the amalgamated top ten is useful as well, but it becomes an issue of knowing whether or not you yourself will like a show even if it is on a top ten. I'm never going to finish KLK or Fate Zero for example.
Sure, that seems fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom