• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 |OT2| Idly waiting for the Dog Days of Sabre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

god i love toradora

those last few episodes are like any good story where you just can't put that shit down and then it's 2am and you're like "Fuuuuuuuuuuuckkkkkkkkkk meeeeee I have work tommorrowwwwwwwww"

Quasar

Finished watching me some Tenchi.

Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki OVAs. Liked all three though the last one much less than the others.

Tenchi Universe - Liked it. Perhaps the best part I've seen.

Tenchi in Tokyo - Really didn't like it. Dropped part way thru.

Overall. Ryoko really had no competition.

Next on my stack of doom is Magi. Don't normally watch shonen stuff, but I feel I'll give this a try.

Jarmel

Banned
Amagi Brilliant Park- [12-13]
ibhHenZzXT5n0M.jpg
So I'm sorta mixed on the finale. I feel like the first half of it is really well done. It displays the progress the characters have made, both individually and as a group. What started out as a group of employees that had given up, to now everybody trying their damnest to keep the park afloat. What Kanye did wasn't just organize management but rather he inspired everybody. While the past few episodes have been drama oriented, the way it got resolved in this episode was true to the comedic elements of the show.
The problem I have is with some of the stuff afterwards. I both like and dislike Chris Rock being
the wizard
. It feels sort of unnecessary but it also does tie elements of the show into a better cohesive work. One problem I had with earlier parts is that Latifah's curse drama is a bit too much on top of the park closing. However with Chris Rock's stuff, it makes everything connected to an extent. While it doesn't 'solve' Latifah still being a damsel in distress, it does justify the inclusion of the curse element.
ic6BKsiIaqsss.jpg

So somebody finally remembered huh?
I think the reset scene is handled extremely well however
her curse being undone like that is way too clean.
I'm pretty sure that was done because the staff isn't planning on doing a second season so might as well give a conclusion to the story. So while there are some minor plot strings left untangled, everything else is wrapped up. In this regard I have to commend Takemoto and Gatoh in that they not only took the best elements of the books but also went with a somewhat satisfactory anime original conclusion.

Looking at how the light novels solve the attendance numbers, I'm both a little disappointed they didn't go down that route even if it's a 'better' ending in the anime. I would have loved to see Fumo set the other stadium on fire mainly due to how damn dark that is. While I do think having everybody pitch in, is less of a solitary effort, it also feels a bit safe and generic.
iR42fcrddFd9T.jpg

iKh8UY4ScpHUs.jpg

iQP29654OZR9S.jpg

Straight out of Arjuna
I loved the 13th episode mainly due to how batshit insane the PV is. That whole thing is something Kojima would have been proud of. Hell it felt like something out of the intro of MGS4.
One thing the show did really well is the comedic elements. Many of the episodes were pretty funny and I can very much tell that this was from the staff of Fumoffu. Yea it never did a serious take on management but it did have a lot of fun with the concept. It was a good watch even if it's somewhat generic in execution at times. I do wish the budget had been higher as this is the worst, or one of the worst, looking show from KyoAni in a while. So reflecting on KyoAni's recent output, this is clearly their best TV work since Hyouka despite its flaws. It's not actively offensive like Chuu2, boring like Tamako, or near as drama laden as Free. The less said about Beyond the Boundary, the more my braincells are saved.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
god i love toradora

those last few episodes are like any good story where you just can't put that shit down and then it's 2am and you're like "Fuuuuuuuuuuuckkkkkkkkkk meeeeee I have work tommorrowwwwwwwww"

Fuck me, same exact situation.

Toradora Episode 25
Well that is that, im sorta kinda mixed on the ending, maybe could be better, mostly I feel like the side main characters didnt get their closure i guess, and atleast 2 of them just didnt have chance.
Dont think he ever truly find out that ami liked him tho he maybe figured i out but nothing came out of it, probably fitting of her character tho.

Also reading the comments apparently the light novel's ending was actually different and that the game came out before the anime or something and
taiga was pregnant at the end of that?
Anyways overall enjoyed it, even being mixed on the ending I still was entertained by it

Oh yeah, about my opinion on the final pairing
I still think taiga and ryuuji work better as really good close friends overall, they had chemistry here and there, but everywhere else it came off as two cool people and not people who were inlove with eachother most of the time.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
No, it's focused on Sega's hardware, not Sega's failure after that. There are some references, of course, though... but it's not the focus. I (and probably most people...) couldn't help thinking of that element of it anyway, though.

One odd thing about the series is that the characters' personalities really don't have much to do with what I'd think the consoles would be like, you know? I mean, Megadrive (Genesis) is the smart one, Saturn the sexy one, and Dreamcast the cute/hopeless one. They work great as they are, but certainly aren't what I'd have pictured those consoles to be like. I'm not sure if that's much like the way they think of the systems in Japan, there I know the Saturn was Sega's most successful system, but in the West, not so much (most obviously, the Genesis was a big hit here, she'd probably be the most prominent one!).

Here are my bad ideas:

Genesis -- The rich ojousama, perhaps? Or at least the group leader. I mean, the Genesis sold better in the US alone than the Saturn and Dreamcast managed to sell, worldwide, both COMBINED, after all. It was Sega's only truly successful console.

Saturn - Overlooked "failure" girl who actually has some pretty good games if you get to know her, perhaps? Maybe she'd work for the Megadrive character in the anime, then... but you probably do need "twin" things, like anime Saturn's two different colored eyes and twintails, to represent the two CPUs.

Dreamcast - Hmm, this is a tough one... the DC is so beloved among Sega fans and classic gamers, but Sony destroyed it so utterly... hmm. Need some ideas for this one. A poor idol with a handful of dedicated fans but no mainstream success or money, or something?

I have no idea what direction that franchise goes in, it's too atrociously garbage and awful for me to want to follow it.
I only saw half of that one episode where Sonic appears at the end and just couldn't deal with the fact that it looked like they used video game footage and made what the Red vs Blue people would call machinima. lol

That said, I'm surprised you don't like Neptunia, since I just assume that the two are basically the same... video games personified as moe girls.

Also why didn't they have the Master System? lol

The IS2 OVA was genuinely good until Ichika started saving everyone, at which point it abruptly stopped being that. As I said in my long review, the worst of all was Russia, the way she went down was ludicrously unbelievable...
I don't mind the fall of Ukraine or Russia... I just assume it was inevitable. But at least Putin is still able to troll everyone, which is all that matters!

Also, her drama CD is the best:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg3_Vz6rrIQ

I only saw half of that one episode where Sonic appears at the end and just couldn't deal with the fact that it looked like they used video game footage and made what the Red vs Blue people would call machinima. lol
The series is a mixture of new stuff and old assets, yes. Or at least, they use old models in the game; I doubt that it's actually videogame footage with them added in, that would rarely work as you'd know if you'd watched (more of) the show, but they clearly use the actual models from the games. But yeah, start from the beginning, it's good, really!

That said, I'm surprised you don't like Neptunia, since I just assume that the two are basically the same... video games personified as moe girls.
Not even close! Neptunia is creepy-anime. It's got far too much awful loli-"fanservice", has some quasi-loli-rape imagery (see ep. 2 of the anime, I think it was? Aka 'where I stopped watching the anime'.), is all about moe and fanservice, the main character is kind of an idiot, etc. I was interested in Neptunia, in concept, until I actually read/watched a bit of the series; that sure cured my interest fast. That franchise has quite a few of the worse things about anime and Japanese videogames in it... and the "gamer" stuff seems to mostly be just window-dressing, too. It's a anime/game series set in a videogame-themed world, not a series about videogames. At least, that's my impression of it. I haven't played any of the games, after all. I don't have a PS3.

SeHa Girl, however, is nothing at all like that! Apart from both having Sega hardware girls in them and some comedy, the two shows couldn't be more different. SeHa Girl is normal stuff, you see -- it's probably aimed at the mass market, not Neptunia's creepy-otakus-only audience. Or at least SeHa Girl is for a wider market of gamers and the like, for sure.

Yes, the three characters are cute girls, but if you actually watch the show, you'd see that it's got no overly creepy content, no messed up sexualization of too-young characters, no brain-dead idiot for a protagonist, etc. SeHa Girl is a videogame reference and comedy series, period. It's got lots of gamer humor, silly jokes, lots of the three characters playing off of eachother, and the like. There IS some anime-girl fanservice stuff, but it's a relatively minor part of the show, I'd say. It's an amusing comedy show, not Neptunia dreck, and of course the videogame references and game-worlds are mostly great fun too. Each episode (apart from the last one) uses one or two franchises which the girls visit; it's a trip through Sega history, with those three having silly experiences in each world. Each episode, thus, has a completely different game as a setting, outside of the segments in Sehagaga Academy where the girls are all together as chibis (they turn into the "normal" forms once they travel to a game world). It's a 3d anime so they mostly visit only polygonal 3d games, but the last episode does have some Space Harrier in it, which was cool. Otherwise they visit that RPG (what is it, a phone game?), Puyo Puyo, Jet Set/Grind Radio, Virtua Fighter 1, Space Channel 5, and more.

As for the characters:

Dreamcast is the cute one. She does the cute-tripping stuff. She also likes taking photos of the others (slightly overdone on one occasion). She gets through the Virtua Fighter episode... uniquely. Sometimes she's funny, other times not. The jokes where she tries to use her modem to look up information are pretty amusing. Dialup internet is slow, but she seems to think it's a good idea... :)

Saturn is the attractive one. She clearly cares about her looks. She's also twin-tailed, so there's some tsun too. There are also running jokes about how she frequently gets unfairly punished (medals taken away, etc.) for random reasons at the ends of episodes. The others also like to joke that she likes old men, most notably Jeffry and Gilius Thunderhead. Heh. (Of course she denies it, and who knows, maybe she's telling the truth about that, this is a comedy show and not a romance!)

Megadrive is the smart one. She's got a book with lots of information about games in it. She's not very good at athletics -- her performance in the Space Channel 5 episode is quite bad. She's not much better on rollerskates (Jet Set Radio!), either... but is better at things which involve more thinking, of course. She's a bit more reserved than the others, but gets drawn into stuff plenty. I mean, this is a comedy, they've got to play off of eachother constantly after all. :p

Also why didn't they have the Master System? lol
With only this many episodes, they clearly chose to focus on only the three main systems which people in Japan would recognize the most... but yeah, Master System should have been there. The SMS sold better than the Saturn or Dreamcast worldwide, after all. They should make another season with the SMS, SG-1000, Sega CD, 32X, and Game Gear... it'd be fun! :) And how about VMU, as well?

I don't mind the fall of Ukraine or Russia... I just assume it was inevitable. But at least Putin is still able to troll everyone, which is all that matters!

Also, her drama CD is the best:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg3_Vz6rrIQ
... Ukraine? Is that what you're calling Russia Jr.? Kind of makes sense, I guess. She didn't do much in the OVA, which is just fine for one of the least interesting characters.

As for Russia, yeah, something was inevitable -- I mean, she was going to end up in the harem eventually, as her randomly appearing in the ED in the last episode of S2 proved for certain -- but that was such a ridiculously unbelievable way to do it. No way would she actually get shot like that, I've watched season 2!

Taruranto

So I was like reading some previews for the next season and I caught this...

Dragon-like monsters appear and the only ones who can fight against them are girls with D (dragon) power. However, there is one male is D power. He’s forced into an all-girl’s school for training D power.

Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?

phaze

Not a very high hurdle!

That's the point !
Toradora Episode 25
Well that is that, im sorta kinda mixed on the ending, maybe could be better, mostly I feel like the side main characters didnt get their closure i guess, and atleast 2 of them just didnt have chance.
Dont think he ever truly find out that ami liked him tho he maybe figured i out but nothing came out of it, probably fitting of her character tho.

Also reading the comments apparently the light novel's ending was actually different and that the game came out before the anime or something and
taiga was pregnant at the end of that?
Anyways overall enjoyed it, even being mixed on the ending I still was entertained by it

Oh yeah, about my opinion on the final pairing
I still think taiga and ryuuji work better as really good close friends overall, they had chemistry here and there, but everywhere else it came off as two cool people and not people who were inlove with eachother most of the time.

-I love you.
-I love you too.
-Let's get married.
-Sure
<Proceeds to run away for a year without talking to him.>

flamesaw0esea.gif

what's this about? noragami s2?

Yup.

Jarmel

Banned
Fate/Stay Night UBW S1-fin
Welp, this episode summed up all of my feelings on the first half. It really was a perfect culmination of how messy this cour has has been. You can tell that UBW is really trying hard to make the best show possible at times. They're trying really fucking hard. There are two major problems though.

The first is that the writing is juvenile as fuck at times. Shirou is an abysmal lead compared to Kiri. There's just no strategy in his thinking compared to Kiri's Plan A-Z thinking. For such a serious affair, the lead's thinking just doesn't properly convey that in an interesting manner. I appreciate his spirit but goddamn is he a stupid motherfucker. His stupidity is just dragging down so much of the show when other elements and characters are on point. I feel like Rin would have been a much better lead. I should note that the anime original content has been fairly good though, which is super weird for me to say. I think the stuff Ufotable has been adding in has really helped to flesh out the story. It's just the core writing that isn't doing the show any favors.
The other problem is the direction is passable at best. I'm not talking about the visuals in of themselves but rather how things and characters are staged. A perfect example is the showdown between Shirou and Caster in the finale. It's just a poorly staged sequence where instead of making Shirou appear sensible and desperate, it instead portrays him as an idiot. There really isn't any sense of tension or buildup in many sequences. This has been a problem with the entire cour such as the resolution of Shinji's spellcasting at school arc.

The music has been flat out forgettable other than the usage of This Illusion at the very end of this cour. I can't remember a single piece and it's a gargantuan step down from Kajiura's work in Fate/Zero. Kenji Kawai's work blows the fuck out of this adaptation's music. Fukusawa really feels like a complete misstep.
Visually the show is immaculate other than some minor CGI quibbles. The finale itself had a fucking great Itano Circus cut by Nozomu. Nozomu really has been delivering the goods on the action front. From an action standpoint, the show has completely delivered to all hype levels. The exceptional background art and lighting have really made for a top tier project visually.
ibtYS5yXexswzx.jpg

yer a wizard harry
I'm just really hoping the direction gets much better in the 2nd cour. The writing isn't going to improve so going forward, it's going to depend on how good the direction is. The meat of the show is going to be in the 2nd cour, so it's make or break time.

Lain

Tokyo Ghoul 2-12

What a disappointing ending. Kaneki never felt like a good protagonist despite some chances here and there for becoming one.
The last episode, apart from the fight part, which at least had the positive effect of revenge, took way too long to get to the point of becoming interesting and then the show ends just like that.
The pacing also felt wrong. Too quick on certain aspects, too slow on others. Sure, i'll check out the second season or whatever, but this felt like a rushed show without a real identity.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Amagi brilliant park 13
free fall ironing
arahabaki in space
1tb of creepshot
horse birth
lot of weird shot in that pv. this episode is so banana

Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu - 12 END

This was a fantastic anime comedy. This show was everything I wanted FMP to be when I first started watching it and it delivered.

They went all out in this closing episode and I loved
that little bit in the credits where Chris Patton thought he was finished and Luci Christian had to remind him that he still had one more line to say.

I don't know what else I can even say about this show that'll do it justice. It's just so good.

I guess all I can say is; if you want a hilarious show that'll have you laughing from start to finish, then Fumoffu is for you! Just make sure you watch the dub.
That last episode is one of the best "last episodes" for a comedy i've seen ..
The way everything unfolds in that classroom is just priceless.

The iM@S Cinderella Girls website gets updated and my dreams continue to die. The characters page only lists the above 14 and relegates the rest to falling under:

ForB709.png

So Koume, Syoko, Mayu and Sachiko will likely only get brief appearances. Whoever's responsible for this needs to be fired. Preferably out of a large cannon.
It's a questionnable choice, indeed I guess there was no way to get a satisfactory cast out of everyone possible

Thinking of giving You're Under Arrest a shot.

It's a fun & good show.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The iM@S Cinderella Girls website gets updated and my dreams continue to die. The characters page only lists the above 14 and relegates the rest to falling under:

http://i.imgur.com/ForB709.png

So Koume, Syoko, Mayu and Sachiko will likely only get brief appearances. Whoever's responsible for this needs to be fired. Preferably out of a large cannon.
Don't worry, they'll find a way for Haruka to take over as the main character again by episode two.

Oh dear, January 2nd start, I should actually get to work on that OT I said I'd do.

fertygo

Welp, this episode summed up all of my feelings on the first half. It really was a perfect culmination of how messy this cour has has been. You can tell that UBW is really trying hard to make the best show possible at times. They're trying really fucking hard. There are two major problems though.

The first is that the writing is juvenile as fuck at times. Shirou is an abysmal lead compared to Kiri. There's just no strategy in his thinking compared to Kiri's Plan A-Z thinking. For such a serious affair, the lead's thinking just doesn't properly convey that in an interesting manner. I appreciate his spirit but goddamn is he a stupid motherfucker. His stupidity is just dragging down so much of the show when other elements and characters are on point. I feel like Rin would have been a much better lead. I should note that the anime original content has been fairly good though, which is super weird for me to say. I think the stuff Ufotable has been adding in has really helped to flesh out the story. It's just the core writing that isn't doing the show any favors.

I'm just really hoping the direction gets much better in the 2nd cour. The writing isn't going to improve so going forward, it's going to depend on how good the direction is. The meat of the show is going to be in the 2nd cour, so it's make or break time.
The dating in last eps was awesome!
I think last two eps finally got the off action stuff right. The harem hijink was funny and relaxing.. and rather serious conservation with Archer and Rin was on point, 2nd half should've great.

Btw the Caster event is another case of ufotable buff Saber's competency in this adaptation, they made she like saving Shirou's ass in that sequence unlike at VN.. also she manage to kill Berserker once and fence off Assasin in earlier eps that not show at source either. Why they not do that in F/Z lol.

/XX/

Please direct your attention to the AotY thread: http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=959893&page=7
I appreciate the interest, man... and I love the effort you guys put on sharing your nicest words to recommend works with such an inspiring illusion, I seriously do... but there are things I won't personally feel fine doing and one is ranking punctual feelings towards a show, and judge them confronted to other much different but similarly fleeting feelings over the (somewhat arbitrary in the flow of one person's life) time-span of one year. I think there are appropriate moments, as much as there are many emotional states to pass, to enjoy, revisit and reflect about many broad works without having to miss any of them based on one time's perceived value.

Sorry, I don't want to come as such a strange fellow sometimes, being in a community means leaving aside such individual pet-peeves momentarily... but that is how I always felt about it out of respect for those works themselves and myself... as I also explained before too! But of course I'll keep and eye on that thread for sure. :-D

I appreciate the interest, man... and I love the effort you guys put on sharing your nicest words to recommend works with such an inspiring illusion, I seriously do... but there are things I won't personally feel fine doing and one is ranking punctual feelings towards a show, and judge them confronted to other much different but similarly fleeting feelings over the (somewhat arbitrary in the flow of one person's life) time-span of one year. I think there are appropriate moments, as much as there are many emotional states to pass, to enjoy, revisit and reflect about many broad works without having to miss any of them based on one time's perceived value.

Sorry, I don't want to come as such a strange fellow sometimes, being in a community means leaving aside such individual pet-peeves momentarily... but that is how I always felt about it out of respect for those works themselves and myself... as I also explained before too! But of course I'll keep and eye on that thread for sure. :-D
This is the fourth best post I've read on gaf this year, and I'm only half joking.

Yuuki Yuuna - 02

This was also a good one. I like the comedy in between, like Yuuka trying to cheer up wheelchair chan. Pointing out that the monster is a scorpion, not a shrimp. Trying to snag some pudding, and the facial reactions.
Wheelchair chan transforming into a Marksman (she's no Mami tho), and her outfit supports her to walk, that's a neat effect. Brilliant when the dodging Vertex appeared, Fuu turned her fat sword sideways and smashed the whole area.

The music has been flat out forgettable other than the usage of This Illusion at the very end of this cour. I can't remember a single piece and it's a gargantuan step down from Kajiura's work in Fate/Zero. Kenji Kawai's work blows the fuck out of this adaptation's music. Fukusawa really feels like a complete misstep.

So I'm not going crazy.

phaze

Tokyo Ghoul 2-12

What a disappointing ending. Kaneki never felt like a good protagonist despite some chances here and there for becoming one.
The last episode, apart from the fight part, which at least had the positive effect of revenge, took way too long to get to the point of becoming interesting and then the show ends just like that.
The pacing also felt wrong. Too quick on certain aspects, too slow on others. Sure, i'll check out the second season or whatever, but this felt like a rushed show without a real identity.

Well it certainly was rushed, they packed like 70 chapters into 12 episodes. But I think there was no better point to end it at, certainly better than trying to rush the rest of the arc to conclusion. (They should have just cut the entire terrible gourmet arc to give Aogiri three more episodes.)

Yuuki Yuuna - 03 & 04

Not very exciting, but passable with some fun moments. Focusing on introducing the new stubborn hero and to bond with the group. Also karaoke noooo. Foreshadowing that something bad might be happening soon though.

Sailor Moon R 21

An important lesson about always watching your kids while at the beach or else they might get washed away by a tide and meet dinosaurs...

The dinosaurs gets saved from extinction, Rei fights lava with fire and Chibi-Usa learns to like fish so it all works out in the end though.

Yuuki Yuuna - 05

Aww yiss, fighting time. This was awesome. The Vertex co operating, then combining! The blooming super saiyans. Space battle! That space Vertex soul reminded me of that thing from the Oblivion movie. This ended more joyful than I anticipated from the foreshadowing.

Narag

I appreciate the interest, man... and I love the effort you guys put on sharing your nicest words to recommend works with such an inspiring illusion, I seriously do... but there are things I won't personally feel fine doing and one is ranking punctual feelings towards a show, and judge them confronted to other much different but similarly fleeting feelings over the (somewhat arbitrary in the flow of one person's life) time-span of one year.

That's overthinking a list thread just meant to share shows people may have not given a chance over the year!

Sakura

Milky Holmes TD Episode 1

Watched the first episode of the new Milky Holmes and... well, it wasn't very good.
The gags just aren't very funny and often feel like they are trying too hard. The animation isn't the same.
I'm just not sure I understand the point of the show. Who is it for? Some of it seems like stuff I would see in a show for little kids. But this is a 1 cour show that airs late at night.
I wish they would bring back the director of the first two series. Milky Holmes season 1 and 2 are probably some of the funniest shows I've ever seen. The gags are great. The references are great. The characters are great.
This series though, I dunno. I just don't get it. The DVD/BD sales will be shit I'm sure. They're probably just doing it to promote their stupid mobile game.

I think Alternative and Futari ha Milky Holmes were better.

Gugure! Kokkuri-san 12

Happy new year.

It's a combined Christmas and New Years episode to end the show.

The first episode was really really good, but then it kinda drops off a bit, and that's too bad. It's still entertaining and it some episodes got really good parts as well, but it never gets as funny (and slightly dark) as the first episode.

Some of the later episodes have some touching moments that are good, but they often comes from other characters than the main cast so that's a bit weird.

The OP is great and the ED isn't too bad either.

Overall it's good enough, so it gets 3.5/5 Inugamis:
UbMB3YD.png
UbMB3YD.png
UbMB3YD.png
RG8VP4l.png
oRJcLBb.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom