• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 |OT2| Idly waiting for the Dog Days of Sabre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kite

The past few days I've been pretty bored with many of the fall shows I was watching coming to an end. So I gave two of the anime I dropped another chance.. Grisaia and Terra Formars. Grisaia was pretty lol-worthy at its attempts to be depressing until the final story arc which was actually pretty decent if a bit rushed. And Terra Formars.. man I wish I had stuck with this show, the first few episodes had unwatchable censoring of giant black circles covering everything but it eases up and almost goes away. And the fighting nd animal/insect-based powers are pretty neat to watch.

Now maybe I should give Cross Ange another chance hmm..

PK Gaming

2ch 2014 AOTY is out
*Fall 2014 2 cour show and Tsukimonogatari will count to 2015
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm25260224

Top 50:
1.Barakamon
2.Ping Pong
3.Nozaki
4.Kill la Kill
5.FSN UBW
6.Yama no Susume 2
7.Locodol
8.Aldnoah Zero
9.Sidonia
10.Usagi
11.Love Live 2
12.Wake up, girls
13.Bahamut genesis
14.Mushishi
15.Yuuki Yuuna
16.Mikakunin de Shinkokei
17.Nagi no Asukara
18.Space Dandy
19.Psycho-Pass 2
20.Mahouka
21.JoJo
22.Sabagebu!
23.Hanayamata
24.Nisekoi
25.No game No life
26.Gundam BF
27.Gokukoku no Brynhildr
28.Space Dandy 2
29.Amagi
30.SAO2
31.Akuma no Riddle
32.Witch Craft Works
33.Haikyuu!!
34.Sakura trick
35.selector infected WIXOSS
36.Log Horizon
37.Hitsugi no Chaika
38.Saki: Zenkoku-hen
39.Buddy Complex
40.Uchuu Kyoudai
41.Silver Spoon
42.Nourin
43.Isshuukan Friends
44.Sora no Method
45.Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Ren
46.Kenzen Robo Daimidaler
46.Glasslip(wat)
48.Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii
49.Nobunaga Concerto
50.Shounen Hollywood

OmakeGifAnime-Locodol-Episode3-YukariHappy_zpsc3eb941a.gif

Shoutouts to Locodol for making it that high! That anime is like a come-from-behind politician.

Breloom

Neo Member
How should I go about watching LoGH? I know there are a bunch of prequels and stuff of that sort so what's the recommended viewing order?

Its crazy how much gaming I get done when I dont have anime to watch.

About to finish up A Link Between Worlds in the next few days since no new episodes till next week.

Moaradin

How should I go about watching LoGH? I know there are a bunch of prequels and stuff of that sort so what's the recommended viewing order?

My Conquest Is the Sea of Stars > Overture to a New War > Main OVA.

My Conquest Is the Sea of Stars is a movie that takes place before the show. It's not required but it's a good intro into the series. Overture to a New War is a remake of the first two OVA episodes. It's a lot better so definitely watch it. I still recommend watching the first two OVA episodes, or at least skim through it. They have some scenes that are different.

After that just watch the main OVA.

Yuki Yuna 5

Was all prepared for despair, but nope....

As pretty as some of these fights are, I'm just not feeling it. Considering dropping it now, but not sure.

Jarmel

Banned
SAO 2-[23-24]

It's hard for me to even articulate words in my rage right now. Ok, so I feel that this was the best arc in the SAO franchise as it utilizes the virtual world in a meaningful way. Sinon's arc while attempting to do that, fell flat due to the exaggeration of the real world trauma and how the virtual world components turn into a way for Kirito to jack himself off rather than Sinon develop and grow as an individual. Here Asuna comes to terms with her mother and Yuuki tries to leave something in the world.
i2raWYJh83Ag7.jpg

I know a few authors who disagree with that.
I feel like Yuuki added a real emotional depth to the show, something that it's been missing. The whole arc felt mature in the sense that it wasn't about ass shots of Sinon in hotpants, Kirito pwning Death Gun, Kirito freeing his waifu from being Eclipsed, or stupid shit like that. Instead the show utilized the freedom of the virtual world and how the blending of the real and virtual can be a good thing, not only in the show but real life as well. The direction really felt the most mature it's been in both seasons of the show as there are no camera angles to trying to show off Yuuki's goods to the audience.
ibofunBtIBLp21.jpg

Is this a Japanese thing of wearing a school uniform to a funeral or is it the staff being lazy?
In short, this is what the show should have been from the start. In episode 23, when we see all the players coming together to say goodbye to Yuuki, I couldn't help but think why didn't we get something similar for the original Sword Art Online arc. Why didn't we see all the players come together and meet each other for the first time? All we get is the party members from Kirito's crew. The thing however is that the show tried to establish that they were all in this together and yet there is no sense of solidarity after the events are over. It really just highlights how much of a fuckup the original arc of the show was.

I did have a problem with Yuuki handing downing her 'Mother Rosario' skill to Asuna as the way it's handled in the show feels sort of tactless. It's like Asuna completed the miniquest and is now rewarded the super duper skill. I understand it's Yuuki's way of leaving an additional legacy but I think it would have been better for Asuna to have mastered the skill on her own and showing it to Yuuki, that way there is more action on the part of Asuna while avoiding the issue of "Quest Complete" that pops up.

It's really striking how much better this arc is compared to anything else the show has displayed so far. While the AIDS component is a little ridiculous in how it's used, I'm willing to forgive it as the show actually tries to have a little emotional depth in a honest and sincere way.

So why am I so fucking pissed?
I think you know where this dogshit is going.

3Y4Sclo.gif

I literally started reaching to rip my eyes out of their sockets. Go to hell Kawahara.

Breloom

Neo Member
My Conquest Is the Sea of Stars > Overture to a New War > Main OVA.

My Conquest Is the Sea of Stars is a movie that takes place before the show. It's not required but it's a good intro into the series. Overture to a New War is a remake of the first two OVA episodes. It's a lot better so definitely watch it. I still recommend watching the first two OVA episodes, or at least skim through it. They have some scenes that are different.

After that just watch the main OVA.
Thank you.

Pooya

looking at winter season again...

will give a chance:

-Rolling Girls (synopsis sounds fun)

-Junketsu no Maria (directed by Geass/Planetes guy, that plot premise ehhh, we'll see I guess, must try)

-Bear Storm (can't not watch when everyone else will)

-Death Parade (curious, probably looks good too)

required watching:
aldnoah.zero 2 -of course

everything else looks whatever to me. maybe im@s or KanColle if I'm not too bored by others and have too much time on my hands, unlikely.

CR is getting owned this season though, everything is funi :S

Jex

Overture to a New War > Main OVA > My Conquest is a Sea of Stars

Sea of Stars technically comes before everything else but it's really a story that shouldn't be watched first because of the way it's written. Overture is simply a much better version of the original two episodes of the OVA.

fertygo

Mushishi Zoku-shou - 21-22

Boring.

Man.. I thought this 2nd cour started strong, I think I like all first five episode, but from last 5 I like only one.

I think I like Mushishi best when the case where its focused being an tale about mysterious creature and surreal nature behind it and creating immersive atmosphere in background, its Mushishi most effective with that kind of story.. I like a lot less when Mushishi eps involving more obvious Mushi and basically all spelled out in Mushi's side to focus on the character or theme in that episode.. I feel Mushishi is very hit and miss with these kind of story, the atmospheric feel also sidelined in those type of story, and no need to say.. its not something that I fond of.

Overall Zoku-shou had a lot more the second kind of story than original season, that had more episode with mysterious and horror element that I mentioned. Oh well. I still happy we get more Mushishi despite with hit and miss in Zoku-Shou.

Mirai Nikki (Future Diary) Series Impressions

So comes the conclusion to secret anime. This started as a watchbet with MikeHattsu but by episode 5 I was utterly traumatized and refused to continue. Now that I'm free for the holiday break I decided to give this another shot. Perhaps the first time I attempted to get through this I wasn't in the right mindset. Anyways, I digress...

Mirai Nikki follows a group of crazed psychopaths hoping to rule the world through some death game where the winner is granted the power of god. Each participant supposedly has a goal to become the god of this insane world. The motivations of each character is largely ignored or unexplained. We occasionally get some short back story for a minor character but they largely feel out of place and contrived. For that reason it is hard to root for any individual character.

Instead of defining the characters in any meaningful way Mirai Nikki focuses on creating bizarre scenarios to entertain the viewer with explosions, dismemberment and boobs. Each plot to kill a death game participant seems to take the protagonists Yuki and Yuno to various different backdrops as an excuse to blow up some new setting. Collateral damage is not a consideration for any of the participates with many bystanders dying as the psychopaths attempt to kill each other. For this reason the jump from place to place felt extremely forced just so they could animate more death and destruction.

http://a.pomf.se/wwzirj.webm

The main protagonist Yuki is a spineless coward throughout most of the anime. He is just an average middle school student who like to write about the pebble on the ground in his phone diary. Suddenly he is thrust into this death game and he doesn't want any part of it. As the story progresses certain events happen which changes his demeanor and finally gives him a purpose to participate. However this is so late into the anime that I gave up caring about his plight and would just hope he would die some painful death like some of the other minor characters had experienced.

Yuno is Yuki's yandere stalker and what could be called the antagonist of the anime. She is manipulative, violent and disgusting. Her motivations also remain unclear for a majority of the anime where they only start to reveal themselves near the end. The guise of her love for Yuki blinds her and causes her to react violently and irrationally. When it is revealed why she is such a broken person it was hard for me to feel any sympathy for her. Her actions are incredibly selfish and that love she feels comes off as cheap. I also found her to be incredibly grating, constantly shouting Yuki's name with her annoying voice.

http://a.pomf.se/czfaid.webm

Watching the plot unfold felt like watching a train wreck unfold before my eyes. The very first attempt on Yuki's life involves blowing up a school and killing many students. The way Yuki manages to escape death or other inconveniences was hilariously awful. Dodging landmines by reading a diary, avoiding eating poisoned fruit because "the weight felt different" and shooting up a police district but getting off scot free for some inexplicable reason. The world around Yuki seems to cater to him because he is protagonist. The absurdity in his escapes just had my eyes rolling halfway through and I had given up on the euphoria I would experience from his death.

The writing was equally as awful as the plot. Characters act incredibly goofy for one scene and switch rails to a murderous villain the next. One of the side characters (Ninth) who is the recurring terrorist that probably has the highest kill count is being tracked down by a rookie detective. However, once he catches her he begins to fall in love with her. Their entire relationship was incredibly silly yet I felt they were the only characters I enjoyed watching. Ninth would do several things to escape from him, going so far as to shoot him yet he continued to push a relationship onto her. It was dumb but it was fun seeing their love blossom on the battlefield. (fucking MGS)

Mirai Nikki suffers from an identity crisis. There are times it appears it wants to be a serious story but is held back by the silly plot, characters and dialogue. As such I wasn't sure how I was supposed to approach watching this. The first time I attempted to watch this I took it as a serious anime and gave up on the fifth episode. After I returned I learned to turn my brain off and just watch the madness unfold. There are several other problems with Mirai Nikki, including my previous rant of why I originally dropped it but I won't retread old ground.

Overall Mirai Nikki is an incredibly stupid anime with unlikable characters. It is animated well enough and the soundtrack serves its purpose. Would I recommend this to others? Probably not but there is some fun to be had if you don't over think the absurdity present. Or if you need an education of what the term "yandere" is.

TLDR: Arbitrary rating one Katana and a pack of C4 out of black hole time travel.

2ch 2014 AOTY is out

Top 50:
1.Barakamon
2.Ping Pong
3.Nozaki
4.Kill la Kill
5.FSN UBW
6.Yama no Susume 2
7.Locodol
8.Aldnoah Zero
9.Sidonia
10.Usagi
11.Love Live 2
12.Wake up, girls
13.Bahamut genesis
14.Mushishi
15.Yuuki Yuuna
17.Nagi no Asukara
18.Space Dandy
19.Psycho-Pass 2
20.Mahouka
21.JoJo
22.Sabagebu!
23.Hanayamata
24.Nisekoi
25.No game No life
26.Gundam BF
27.Gokukoku no Brynhildr
28.Space Dandy 2
29.Amagi
30.SAO2
31.Akuma no Riddle
32.Witch Craft Works
33.Haikyuu!!
34.Sakura trick
36.Log Horizon
37.Hitsugi no Chaika
39.Buddy Complex
40.Uchuu Kyoudai
41.Silver Spoon
42.Nourin
43.Isshuukan Friends
44.Sora no Method
46.Glasslip(wat)
49.Nobunaga Concerto
50.Shounen Hollywood

76314-goku-thumbs-up-gif-YLiN.gif

2ch delivers

Das Ace

Yeah, 2chan's list is surprisingly not terrible. Expected a lot more moe blob shit in top ten.

edit: Changed my mind. Space Dandy 2 is lower than Space Dandy 1. Fuck everyone in Japan.

Tsukimonogatari

I liked it better than the previous one, Hanamonogatari. Araragi and Shinobu makes it focus more on the comedic aspects (though Araragi presence means too 20 mins of creepy fanservice with younger and/or blood related girls), and the revelation of Araragi's problem and solution feel appropriate for his character's arc.
Good job too with the incredible amount of well done, imaginative backgrounds (as they don't feel bounded by mere reality), used as visual metaphors (or just for kicks, let's admit it). The theme is mostly winter, as seen...

phaze

re - first 20 minutes. They're not related so it's okay.
kruemelmonster9bq1o.gif

Tsuki to me avoids the repetitiveness of Bake or Nise and is simultaneously not over long like most of Mono S2. Really liked the fatalism of the resolution to the entire situation, though the antagonist should have a bit more screen time.

Cool that you liked it. Too bad there's about 0% chance of getting a S2 :p

That seems to be the common denominator of the comedies I enjoyed sans SZS. Someday another seasons of Soredemo, Love Lab and this will surely happen !

Tsukimonogatari

Enjoyed it quite a lot, though I probably really shouldn't rewind and pause constantly in order to read the still texts, especially not with a complete lack of typesetting making it so messy. But I always feel like I'd be missing out otherwise D:

The Hobbit - The Battle of the five Armies

If this were anime, anime would be dead. What a fucking pile of shit.

cajunator

Banned
Funimation really got all the hot scoops and that's terrible for everyone.

I actually agree with you. Funi is pretty bad.

Tsukimonogatari

I liked it better than the previous one, Hanamonogatari. Araragi and Shinobu makes it focus more on the comedic aspects (though Araragi presence means too 20 mins of creepy fanservice with younger and/or blood related girls), and the revelation of Araragi's problem and solution feel appropriate for his character's arc.
Good job too with the incredible amount of well done, imaginative backgrounds (as they don't feel bounded by mere reality), used as visual metaphors (or just for kicks, let's admit it). The theme is mostly winter, as seen...

So colorful! I love the color palettes in Monogatari shows.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
2ch 2014 AOTY is out

Top 50:
1.Barakamon
2.Ping Pong
3.Nozaki
4.Kill la Kill
5.FSN UBW
6.Yama no Susume 2
7.Locodol
8.Aldnoah Zero
9.Sidonia
10.Usagi
11.Love Live 2
12.Wake up, girls
13.Bahamut genesis
14.Mushishi
15.Yuuki Yuuna
17.Nagi no Asukara
18.Space Dandy
19.Psycho-Pass 2
20.Mahouka
21.JoJo
22.Sabagebu!
23.Hanayamata
24.Nisekoi
25.No game No life
26.Gundam BF
27.Gokukoku no Brynhildr
28.Space Dandy 2
29.Amagi
30.SAO2
31.Akuma no Riddle
32.Witch Craft Works
33.Haikyuu!!
34.Sakura trick
36.Log Horizon
37.Hitsugi no Chaika
39.Buddy Complex
40.Uchuu Kyoudai
41.Silver Spoon
42.Nourin
43.Isshuukan Friends
44.Sora no Method
46.Glasslip(wat)
49.Nobunaga Concerto
50.Shounen Hollywood

I agree with the top 5.
no Zvesda and Samumenco make me sad though:(

Theonik

ホビット 決戦のゆくえ
This suffers from the Redline syndrome of having to end in the first 15 minutes, while the first 15 minutes are not as good as Redline.

ホビット 決戦のゆくえ
This suffers from the Redline syndrome of having to end in the first 15 minutes, while the first 15 minutes are not as good as Redline.

Is it some non-anime movie, isn't it?

/Googles up

Yep.

I am shocked at how low Nozaki-kun is. Needs to be at least one, if not two places higher.

But seriously, Locodols beating out Love Live S2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom