• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 |OT2| Idly waiting for the Dog Days of Sabre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hamst3r

It's my SO's favorite anime and I am trudging through it but the humor and action escape me for the most part. I don't understand much of the reason for why anyone does what they do in the show.

I finished FMA:Brotherhood recently and the humor never gets any better, but it does occur less frequently as the show goes on. I liked the show a lot more after season 3, where things start getting more hectic and less goofy.

javac

A follow up to my previous write up on episode 1 and 2.
ivzfzl7.png
So I watched some more of this awesome show and yeah I really love it! One of the main things that I really like is the fact that by creating parallels to a show like Eva, it really exemplifies just how much more realistic the characters are in this show when compared to their contemporaries in Eva. You see the main character in situations where you expect him to run away and sulk like Shinji and ask 'why' all the time so when you then get this protag who accepts the situation that he's in and works to the best of his ability with the hand he's been dealt with in order to help those in need all the while showing human emotions that you can resonate with it really makes me smile.
I liked Shinji as a character but when I see the protagonist here hurt by someone close to him, and as the viewer to feel resentment towards the perpetrator only for the protagonist to smile shortly after is almost heart-warming. The show thus feels a lot more warm and forgiving than a show like Eva.
Episode 5 in this case was a favourite for me so far, some beautiful moments and some great character building. The music is also affective throughout but again some funky choices in action sequences. Still it works well overall. Also have I discussed how much I love the character designs in this show? Because I love them! And man the mech itself looks fantastic!
The Japanese voice acting is super nice and each character has loads of personality and the chemistry between them is awesome to say the least. I'm legit smiling and getting teary eyed at moments and I love the characters a lot. Really hope I articulated myself well and I can't wait to watch more! :D

John Blade

noir_kirika_mireille0014.jpg

Okay, I just finish the last episode of this series and I am trying to let it sink in a bit here as they`re so much dialog and story driven about Les Soldats and the meaning of Noir which might be too much for most people who is going to watch this show and I can see why. Well, let`s just get to the main point of the impression. Do I like this show. Short answer, Yes. Long answer, depend and I will explain a bit here.

I won`t go into detail of the Plot line as you can wiki it. Also, I will try not to ruin it for people who still didn`t watch the show yet (well..I bet most do as it`s a 2001 show). I will say this. The story line of Noir is very interesting and it make you want to know a bit about the Les Soldats and the original of the meaning of Noir and what they did in the past till the present. Also, the story of the both main characters and they secret past and how it slowly (sometime very painfully slow) it became to unravel as the show process from the climax to the finale keep me hook (even with the twist of how all the characters in the show are connect together).

The major strength this show have is the character development. From the beginning to end you follow the two main characters in the show (Mireille and Kirika) and they secret past and they mission of founding out Soldats. During the show, you can actually see how both of the character develop and change them. For Mireille , it`s her past tragedies with her family which is connect to Soldats while for Mireille, it`s basically her identities of who she was and why she have become a professional killer even though she never know how she become one. As the show continue, they friendship will be test to its limit and strained when secret is been reveal of Mireille tragedies and the dark past of Kirika and what have happened during Mireille family incident. Even with this horror and hatred (and even Mireille want to end this pain), the strength of they friendship you can say keep them bonding during this trouble time. You can say, this is what keep Noir very interesting for me.

What I don`t like is the pacing. The show start very slow in the beginning and feel like it`s those, ``pick a mission, kill the enemies, and win mission`` feel which been use quite a bit in the beginning, which get tired quickly. The pacing start to pick up around quarter of the series and get interesting somewhere in the middle. Even with this, they`re trying to explain the history of Noir and Soldats (or literally fist it in near the end) was too much to take in all at once. This is why I have to stop for a bit to let the info sink it for few days before I can continue watching the show. This isn`t really a bad thing when it was release on TV where the show is been shown once a week and the audience can let the story sink in during this time. Unfortunately, I own the DVD and trying to watch this show all at once was too much for me.

They;re few issue I have with this show but even with the flaw, it`s still a good show to watch but I won`t recommend this show for everyone. It doesn`t have that much action scene. Yes, a fight scene will occur in each episode and some of them are decent or interesting to watch. But the show is mostly a story and character driven and you need to pay attention of what each character is talking. For me, this is fine for other audience who might think of this show as girl with gun, you will be disappointed.

For now, I like Noir and the DVD box set I own a year ago is worth the money I spend on. I don`t think any anime fan will like this show but for those who like a story driven and decent character development and can stick with it during the boring part, I would recommend to try to watch the show.

noir_mireille0816.png

Update 1 Note: I am going to sleep now but will start watching another anime sometime next week. Not going to watch any deep story as my brain is hurting right now. Going to pop in Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi for the 1st time as I own the DVD box set over a year ago. Going to be a fun watch from what I heard unless you people here tell me not to watch it.

Tuck

Psycho-Pass 2 Episode 3
Ah, the show where all the characters give up common sense for the sake of the fucked up and logically flawed Sybill System is back again for another round. This episode was a good example of why the system is so stupid to begin with.

I don't know, its sort of hard for me to buy into the belief that inspectors would brutally murder a bunch of victims just because their crime coefficients are temporarily elevated because they are fucking victims. But buying into that is crucial for enjoyment of the show, so I guess... why not?

Even so... its enjoyable so far. But I find the very concept of the show to be flawed, just as in season 1, because characters end up doing stupid shit because the computer tells them to. My friend made the arguement that its odd from our perspective but if you grew up in that world, it may be a hard thing to come to terms with that the system is flawed. And to be fair, the show does display characters struggling to accept that reality.

At the very least, it seems to be a bit less exposition-y than the first season so far. On the other hand, the violence is a bit much. The fact that the dominators cause people to explode remains stupid - violence for the sake of violence in a show that already has plenty.

HEROMAN - 8

Final boss time already huh?

I really like how Joey actively participates in the fights in this show. I was worried that he was just going to end up standing around while Heroman did all the work, only leaving him to activate Heroman's abilities.

But no, it's pretty cool how he used his force-field as a means of offense as well as defense in this episode.

Breloom

Neo Member
I haven't actually seen a space opera before so this is gonna be a first for me, hopefully it'll be a good ride.

So the story tells the tale of two races, the Humans and the Mu, and the events that led to their inevitable conflict. It starts off pretty light themed so far, themes of peace and friendship are introduced early on but I'm guessing as the story and characters develop it will take a more darker tone.

The art is pretty unique, though it also is kind of a double edged knife. It's an adaptation of an old manga and it preserves the 80's feel in the styling of the characters and the environment. I find this to be a plus since I like the 80's type of art style but some people might be thrown off by this. There's quite an extensive use of CGI, not the biggest fan of CGI myself but it's still rather well used so far.

The music is the best thing this show has to offer so far. It puts together some of the most epic and well devised themes I have heard and I'm only 4 episodes in. The music superbly supports the show by borrowing sorrow, cheerfulness and thrill to events. The OP/ED themes are great too, so far it's left me with a great impression.

2ch 2014 AOTY is out
*Fall 2014 2 cour show and Tsukimonogatari will count to 2015
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm25260224

Top 50:
1.Barakamon
2.Ping Pong
3.Nozaki
4.Kill la Kill
5.FSN UBW
6.Yama no Susume 2
7.Locodol
8.Aldnoah Zero
9.Sidonia
10.Usagi
11.Love Live 2
12.Wake up, girls
13.Bahamut genesis
14.Mushishi
15.Yuuki Yuuna
16.Mikakunin de Shinkokei
17.Nagi no Asukara
18.Space Dandy
19.Psycho-Pass 2
20.Mahouka
21.JoJo
22.Sabagebu!
23.Hanayamata
24.Nisekoi
25.No game No life
26.Gundam BF
27.Gokukoku no Brynhildr
28.Space Dandy 2
29.Amagi
30.SAO2
31.Akuma no Riddle
32.Witch Craft Works
33.Haikyuu!!
34.Sakura trick
35.selector infected WIXOSS
36.Log Horizon
37.Hitsugi no Chaika
38.Saki: Zenkoku-hen
39.Buddy Complex
40.Uchuu Kyoudai
41.Silver Spoon
42.Nourin
43.Isshuukan Friends
44.Sora no Method
45.Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Ren
46.Kenzen Robo Daimidaler
46.Glasslip(wat)
48.Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii
49.Nobunaga Concerto
50.Shounen Hollywood

HEROMAN - 9

Now this episode was straight-up awesome!

Heroman's
berserk mode was crazy awesome, though it WAS inevitable that it'd be given the same treatment as many other berserk robots in anime and be calmed down by Joey.

Still, the fight was fun to watch nonetheless.

Poor crazy-haired scientist though. You put so much effort into making a machine that'll stop the spheres, and
it's pressing random buttons and then pressing a now-flashing big-red button that saves the day.

Dynedom

Dammit javac, I don't have my RahXephon DVD set here with me in Dubai and you are not helping my itch to re-watch it again.

D-Frag! 08-12

The last arc was rather underwhelming and at times it went full Nisekoi on the harem antics but it still easily gets a spot in my Top 10 for the year. Crazy characters, funny jokes and the reaction faces were a thing of beauty.

Cool that you liked it. Too bad there's about 0% chance of getting a S2 :p

cajunator

Banned
noir_kirika_mireille0014.jpg

Okay, I just finish the last episode of this series and I am trying to let it sink in a bit here as they`re so much dialog and story driven about Les Soldats and the meaning of Noir which might be too much for most people who is going to watch this show and I can see why. Well, let`s just get to the main point of the impression. Do I like this show. Short answer, Yes. Long answer, depend and I will explain a bit here.

I won`t go into detail of the Plot line as you can wiki it. Also, I will try not to ruin it for people who still didn`t watch the show yet (well..I bet most do as it`s a 2001 show). I will say this. The story line of Noir is very interesting and it make you want to know a bit about the Les Soldats and the original of the meaning of Noir and what they did in the past till the present. Also, the story of the both main characters and they secret past and how it slowly (sometime very painfully slow) it became to unravel as the show process from the climax to the finale keep me hook (even with the twist of how all the characters in the show are connect together).

The major strength this show have is the character development. From the beginning to end you follow the two main characters in the show (Mireille and Kirika) and they secret past and they mission of founding out Soldats. During the show, you can actually see how both of the character develop and change them. For Mireille , it`s her past tragedies with her family which is connect to Soldats while for Mireille, it`s basically her identities of who she was and why she have become a professional killer even though she never know how she become one. As the show continue, they friendship will be test to its limit and strained when secret is been reveal of Mireille tragedies and the dark past of Kirika and what have happened during Mireille family incident. Even with this horror and hatred (and even Mireille want to end this pain), the strength of they friendship you can say keep them bonding during this trouble time. You can say, this is what keep Noir very interesting for me.

What I don`t like is the pacing. The show start very slow in the beginning and feel like it`s those, ``pick a mission, kill the enemies, and win mission`` feel which been use quite a bit in the beginning, which get tired quickly. The pacing start to pick up around quarter of the series and get interesting somewhere in the middle. Even with this, they`re trying to explain the history of Noir and Soldats (or literally fist it in near the end) was too much to take in all at once. This is why I have to stop for a bit to let the info sink it for few days before I can continue watching the show. This isn`t really a bad thing when it was release on TV where the show is been shown once a week and the audience can let the story sink in during this time. Unfortunately, I own the DVD and trying to watch this show all at once was too much for me.

They;re few issue I have with this show but even with the flaw, it`s still a good show to watch but I won`t recommend this show for everyone. It doesn`t have that much action scene. Yes, a fight scene will occur in each episode and some of them are decent or interesting to watch. But the show is mostly a story and character driven and you need to pay attention of what each character is talking. For me, this is fine for other audience who might think of this show as girl with gun, you will be disappointed.

For now, I like Noir and the DVD box set I own a year ago is worth the money I spend on. I don`t think any anime fan will like this show but for those who like a story driven and decent character development and can stick with it during the boring part, I would recommend to try to watch the show.

noir_mireille0816.png

Update 1 Note: I am going to sleep now but will start watching another anime sometime next week. Not going to watch any deep story as my brain is hurting right now. Going to pop in Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi for the 1st time as I own the DVD box set over a year ago. Going to be a fun watch from what I heard unless you people here tell me not to watch it.

Noir is a great show but it does take nearly half of the episodes to get rolling. It would strongly benefit from better pacing but also if it was half as long. I can still remember a lot about it and the effect it had on my appreciation for anime, as well as introducing me to the music of Yuki Kajiura.

Magical shopping arcade Abenobashi is pretty insane. You should like it.

Branduil

2ch 2014 AOTY is out

Top 50:
1.Barakamon
2.Ping Pong
3.Nozaki
4.Kill la Kill
5.FSN UBW
6.Yama no Susume 2
7.Locodol
8.Aldnoah Zero
9.Sidonia
10.Usagi
11.Love Live 2
12.Wake up, girls
13.Bahamut genesis
14.Mushishi
15.Yuuki Yuuna
17.Nagi no Asukara
18.Space Dandy
19.Psycho-Pass 2
20.Mahouka
21.JoJo
22.Sabagebu!
23.Hanayamata
24.Nisekoi
25.No game No life
26.Gundam BF
27.Gokukoku no Brynhildr
28.Space Dandy 2
29.Amagi
30.SAO2
31.Akuma no Riddle
32.Witch Craft Works
33.Haikyuu!!
34.Sakura trick
36.Log Horizon
37.Hitsugi no Chaika
39.Buddy Complex
40.Uchuu Kyoudai
41.Silver Spoon
42.Nourin
43.Isshuukan Friends
44.Sora no Method
46.Glasslip(wat)
49.Nobunaga Concerto
50.Shounen Hollywood
2ch with horrible taste as expected.

Puruzi

Banned
2ch 2014 AOTY is out

Top 50:
1.Barakamon
2.Ping Pong
3.Nozaki
4.Kill la Kill
5.FSN UBW
6.Yama no Susume 2
7.Locodol
8.Aldnoah Zero
9.Sidonia
10.Usagi
11.Love Live 2
12.Wake up, girls
13.Bahamut genesis
14.Mushishi
15.Yuuki Yuuna
17.Nagi no Asukara
18.Space Dandy
19.Psycho-Pass 2
20.Mahouka
21.JoJo
22.Sabagebu!
23.Hanayamata
24.Nisekoi
25.No game No life
26.Gundam BF
27.Gokukoku no Brynhildr
28.Space Dandy 2
29.Amagi
30.SAO2
31.Akuma no Riddle
32.Witch Craft Works
33.Haikyuu!!
34.Sakura trick
36.Log Horizon
37.Hitsugi no Chaika
39.Buddy Complex
40.Uchuu Kyoudai
41.Silver Spoon
42.Nourin
43.Isshuukan Friends
44.Sora no Method
46.Glasslip(wat)
49.Nobunaga Concerto
50.Shounen Hollywood

List is alright, but where the fuck is Robot Girls Z?!

Jarmel

Banned
So Sawano has been putting in really good work for Seven Deadly Sins. I'm wondering if this might turn out to be his best TV work.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Honestly, it could've been worse.

They could've had Sword Art Online over Ping Pong.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Does ANN still post the results of random Biglobe polls as news or is that dark chapter in anime news clickbait finally over?

So Sawano has been putting in really good work for Seven Deadly Sins. I'm wondering if this might turn out to be his best TV work.

Sengoku Basara is still his only legit good OST.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom