• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 |OT2| Idly waiting for the Dog Days of Sabre

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly don't know what either of these are.

Locodols is a average show about small town idols doing small town idol things. Love Live is a magical, heartwarming tale about a group of high school students who band together to make an idol group in order to prevent their school from shutting down. Also, they dress as Kiss at one point and that's totes awesome.

gKtgnxh.jpg

LOL I bet Barakamon won't even reach top five on GAF. Not sure about Ping Pong, but probably not top three.

I'm pleasingly surprised with them picking Ping Pong in second pos, I have the impression that usually Japanese fans reject non-standard art styles like Ping Pong, Kaiba, Kemonozoume, etc, they are very orthodox, at least in comparison with Western fans.

The concept of these 'idols' still somewhat escapes me. I'm getting this right that they're basically just winners from some idols casting show, similarly to those music casting shows? It's just that they throw out any pretend of being about anything other than stardom, they just become an idol by being likable? And that usually only lasts a couple years until they're too old?

I mean I understand that there's actually demand for that kind of stuff giving the popstar craze but I still kinda wonder why it exists, or more so why animes about them are so popular. Though I suppose it's just more 'cute girls' stuff.

Jex

LOL I bet Barakamon won't even reach top five on GAF. Not sure about Ping Pong, but probably not top three.

That's fine by me. Outside of Barakamon's attractive visuals, Silver Spoon S2 is the superior show on every level. Of course, I don't see Silver Spoon S2 placing very highly but such is life.

cajunator

Banned
Locodols is a average show about small town idols doing small town idol things. Love Live is a magical, heartwarming tale about a group of high school students who band together to make an idol group in order to prevent their school from shutting down. Also, they dress as Kiss at one point and that's totes awesome.

Anything based on Kiss or emulating it is pretty awesome by default.

The concept of these 'idols' still somewhat escapes me. I'm getting this right that they're basically just winners from some idols casting show, similarly to those music casting shows? It's just that they throw out any pretend of being about anything other than stardom, they just become an idol by being likable? And that usually only lasts a couple years until they're too old?

I mean I understand that there's actually demand for that kind of stuff giving the popstar craze but I still kinda wonder why it exists, or more so why animes about them are so popular. Though I suppose it's just more 'cute girls' stuff.

Yeah it is a perfect marketing opportunity and allows for quite a lot of moe waifu wars stuff. Plus the huge idol culture craze in Japan leaves it wide open.

That's fine by me. Outside of Barakamon's attractive visuals, Silver Spoon S2 is the superior show on every level. Of course, I don't see Silver Spoon S2 placing very highly but such is life.

I would be more insulted by the insult on Barakamon but I love the Silver Spoon manga so....

whynotboth.gif

And is Silver Spoon S1 anything worth watching? Seeing as I'd have to get through that most likely.

The fact that Gokukoku no Brynhildr, Daimidaler, Glasslip and Wake-up Girls are even on this list makes me unable to take it seriously and erases any positive aspects of it from my mind.

~wan wan

Wake-up Girls is better than Locodols as well.

Brynhildr and Glasslip are hot garbage though. Haven't watched that other one.

JoeFu

Banned
Dang people liked Tsuki more than Hana? I wasn't feeling Tsuki at all. Even though we got back to Araragi and Shinobu I just didn't really care about what happened during this arc. Ononoki was pretty cool too, but I dunno. I liked the story a lot more in Hana.

Dang people liked Tsuki more than Hana? I wasn't feeling Tsuki at all. Even though we got back to Araragi and Shinobu I just didn't really care about what happened during this arc. Ononoki was pretty cool too, but I dunno. I liked the story a lot more in Hana.

Kinda evens out for me. I preferred the story of Hanamonogatari too but at the same time I found it slightly more boring and certainly less visually appealing than Tsuki.

JoeFu

Banned
Kinda evens out for me. I preferred the story of Hanamonogatari too but at the same time I found it slightly more boring and certainly less visually appealing than Tsuki.

I almost fell asleep halfway through Tsuki. The visuals were nice, but I just wasn't that interested in what was happening.

PK Gaming

I honestly don't know what either of these are.

They're precise deconstructions of the school idol genre. Both animes aim to demonstrate the limited validity of idol life, even their falsity, aiming, in other words, to dispel the illusions that they have generated. Overall, the deconstructive critique targets the illusion of grandeur, that is, the idea that being an idol simply leads to success and happiness. Both animes primarily examine purity, identity, success, and stasis. Therefore, the deconstruction aims to demonstrate that those are false; idol life is never pure, never self-identical, and never static; it is always more complex than that. Idol life is more impure, differentiated, and success is rare.

Hahahahahahaha

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I am shocked at how low Nozaki-kun is. Needs to be at least one, if not two places higher.

But seriously, Locodols beating out Love Live S2?
Because people didn't watch it for the idols, they watched it for the tourism and local council work.

2ch 2014 AOTY is out
*Fall 2014 2 cour show and Tsukimonogatari will count to 2015
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm25260224

Top 50:
1.Barakamon
2.Ping Pong
3.Nozaki
4.Kill la Kill
5.FSN UBW
6.Yama no Susume 2
7.Locodol
8.Aldnoah Zero
9.Sidonia
10.Usagi
11.Love Live 2
12.Wake up, girls
13.Bahamut genesis
14.Mushishi
15.Yuuki Yuuna
16.Mikakunin de Shinkokei
17.Nagi no Asukara
18.Space Dandy
19.Psycho-Pass 2
20.Mahouka
21.JoJo
22.Sabagebu!
23.Hanayamata
24.Nisekoi
25.No game No life
26.Gundam BF
27.Gokukoku no Brynhildr
28.Space Dandy 2
29.Amagi
30.SAO2
31.Akuma no Riddle
32.Witch Craft Works
33.Haikyuu!!
34.Sakura trick
35.selector infected WIXOSS
36.Log Horizon
37.Hitsugi no Chaika
38.Saki: Zenkoku-hen
39.Buddy Complex
40.Uchuu Kyoudai
41.Silver Spoon
42.Nourin
43.Isshuukan Friends
44.Sora no Method
45.Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Ren
46.Kenzen Robo Daimidaler
46.Glasslip(wat)
48.Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii
49.Nobunaga Concerto
50.Shounen Hollywood

It's really nice to see people with great taste. You've done good 2chan :)

Well, I didn't watch Silver Spoon, but I think that while Barakamon is a good and fine show, I didn't like it nearly as much as some others and there were definitely shows that were better.
Of course I won't knock anyone for liking Barakamon a lot.

phaze

Huh volume 4 of Tokyo Ghoul fixed the instantaneous change of Kaneki's hair and clothes in the last episode. That centipede in the last cut though, hory sheeeet. Him hitting his own head a second earlier makes so much more sense now.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Yama no Susume 2 - 9

God these two token foreigners they keep showing are hilarious.

"Aw man that sushi was good last night!"

EDIT:

Oh god they're back in episode 10 as well!

Episode 11 = I can't take it anymore.

PK Gaming

You gave yourself away with deconstruction.

~waaan

I'll have you know that my post was a deconstruction of deconstructions.

Jokes aside, Locodol and Love Live! weren't revolutionary by any means, but they're pretty good for what they were going for. Locodol is like the most docile anime ever, I seriously didn't think it would be that popular on 2ch.

2ch 2014 AOTY is out
*Fall 2014 2 cour show and Tsukimonogatari will count to 2015
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm25260224

Top 50:
1.Barakamon
2.Ping Pong
3.Nozaki
4.Kill la Kill
5.FSN UBW
6.Yama no Susume 2
7.Locodol
8.Aldnoah Zero
9.Sidonia
10.Usagi
11.Love Live 2
12.Wake up, girls
13.Bahamut genesis
14.Mushishi
15.Yuuki Yuuna
16.Mikakunin de Shinkokei
17.Nagi no Asukara
18.Space Dandy
19.Psycho-Pass 2
20.Mahouka
21.JoJo
22.Sabagebu!
23.Hanayamata
24.Nisekoi
25.No game No life
26.Gundam BF
27.Gokukoku no Brynhildr
28.Space Dandy 2
29.Amagi
30.SAO2
31.Akuma no Riddle
32.Witch Craft Works
33.Haikyuu!!
34.Sakura trick
35.selector infected WIXOSS
36.Log Horizon
37.Hitsugi no Chaika
38.Saki: Zenkoku-hen
39.Buddy Complex
40.Uchuu Kyoudai
41.Silver Spoon
42.Nourin
43.Isshuukan Friends
44.Sora no Method
45.Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Ren
46.Kenzen Robo Daimidaler
46.Glasslip(wat)
48.Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii
49.Nobunaga Concerto
50.Shounen Hollywood

Pretty decent enough list I guess. I like the placing of Yuki Yuna and Celestial Method.

Yuki Yuka would have been way higher had its ending been just a little bit better.

And Celestial Method thankfully is placed above Chuunibyou and Glasslip, at the very least. The show may have had some really less than stellar writing, but at least it has some sort of decency to it. Unlike Glasslip, which apparently was a giant unentertaining mess and Chuunibyou, which was....well Chuunibyou.

Joe Molotov

Yama no Susume 2 - 9

God these two token foreigners they keep showing are hilarious.

"Aw man that sushi was good last night!"

EDIT:

Oh god they're back in episode 10 as well!

Episode 11 = I can't take it anymore.

I can't believe that guy asked you to do that thing and you wouldn't do it! If someone asks you to do that thing, you gotta do that thing, it's a rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom