• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 |OT2| Idly waiting for the Dog Days of Sabre

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be interested in an AnimeGAF podcast, either listening or participating. Not like there's a surplus of good anime discussion podcasts. In fact, I'm not even aware of one.

I'd be totally for an AnimeGAF podcast!

no real point in a podcast when most of the good posters have either left or rarely post

This sadly, is a good point though. It probably would have been better last year, when this thread was a LOT more active with their posts.

That's not to say it can't be done though. I mean, I see fellow AnimeGAFers who don't post a lot in here anymore on Twitter every day, so maybe something could be worked out if they really wanted to do a podcast of some sorts, but I digress.

Yuki Yuna 6

Cajun, there better be a goddamn massacre within the next few episodes if you want me to believe this is more despair-filled than Madoka. Health issues do not count.

It's not just the health issues that are the problem, as you'll see pretty soon.

Mature

One Piece Film Z
Now I've seen three One Piece things. Thanks to everyone who recommended this. I enjoyed it, and the person whose present it was dug it too.

Lots of impressive animation in this one. Some of the cuts in the beginning of the movie honestly shocked me. Toei can put on a good show with their films.

rrvv

https://2995c29805bc626322462667989...m/host/0B31ASET0VYFvWjE5SEtwZWZmbjg/chara.swf

oCuC4sc.png

would date

javac

My journey with this show continues onwards as I head to the half-way point. Not much more to add really. The characters are the highlight of this show and both its parallels and juxtapositions with Eva are what make it a compelling show that I can never get enough of and what keeps me hooked after each episode. Characters are put into situations we're all familiar with if you've ever seen Eva, sometimes scarily so and while doing this you expect each scene to play out in a similar fashion. So when that turns out not to be the case and Ayato ends up being the polar opposite of a Shinji I just smile. Episode 8 is strikingly similar to episode
of Eva, so to see the way it plays out in the end is very rewarding indeed. A total fuck yeah moment.
The show however doesn't have the imagery or cinematography chops of something like Eva...at least until episode 11 that is.
Episode 11 is one of those episodes I really admire. The way this episode is shot is really nice, as is its use of wide-angle and even ultra-wide-angle shots as well more close up shots that are used in order to disorientate the viewer which is both appealing and haunting. The show thus far has looked and sounded pleasant, with wonderful photography and great compositions but has often lacked that extra oomph, up until now.
One issue in general if I want to nit-pick is the lack of build-up to conclusions and weak battles. I don't mind it, but action tends to consist of almost freeze frame shots...but not that static. Never the less the show looks really well made and I didn't come here for the action but the characters so I'm not put off by it. Looking at the staff involved, it seems like episode 15 might be a good one :)
All in all I'm enjoying the show a lot!
Bonus: Beaches are awesome.
Lucky.
Also the difference in detail and animation between everything and episode 11 is crazy when you put it side by side :p

Zolf

I will never subscribe to funi. Not enough content.

I'm a subscriber and the largest problem I have is that their website is terrible. I think they have a decent amount of content but finding it is a total pain in the ass and sorting through episode listings for a show is a joke. They recently released an app on PS3 which is miles ahead of trying to use their website, so I'll probably just use that from now on.

One Piece Film Z
Now I've seen three One Piece things. Thanks to everyone who recommended this. I enjoyed it, and the person whose present it was dug it too.

Lots of impressive animation in this one. Some of the cuts in the beginning of the movie honestly shocked me. Toei can put on a good show with their films.

Being a fan of the manga, Film Z is probably my favorite One Piece movie. I could see people who don't watch/read One Piece liking 6 more, as it's a better standalone.

Z0tC2VSl.png

:zeroshiki

Where's your avatar?

Grexeno

Being a fan of the manga, Film Z is probably my favorite One Piece movie. I could see people who don't watch/read One Piece liking 6 more, as it's a better standalone.
I'm going to have to go with Strong World, since Film Z has those incredibly insulting creepshots of Nami and Robin.

fertygo

lol, not in the mood for that kind of despair at the moment.

With cajun reassuring me up there, I think I'm going to stick it out if only for the reason of putting off writing up my AOTY post for a few more days.

Really, there are many ways this could go for me to not consider it a waste of time. Doesn't need to go full grimdark to accomplish that.

Yeah, you sure already seeing some post about last eps.. its really hard to not talking about it when every your post so far like "its wasting my time" :::)

Grexeno

Those were pretty awkward. Especially since they have zero context.
The creepshot of Robin's breasts when she was being carried by Franky in the final fight was especially egregious. It was basically "we are going to open a shot on her bouncing cleavage and literally linger on it for about 3 seconds before showing you actual important shit."

Tribe Cool Crew 3

Well I gave it the old college try, but I'm just not feeling it. I want to, but I don't. It's a show I can readily admit is good and watchable, but one that unfortunately can't hold my interest.

Sorry Madp

Syrinx

Aikatsu! 102

Purple hair was the one niche Mizuki filled, and now Sumire comes along and rocks it way better. Officially no more need whatsoever for Mizuki.

HEROMAN - 10

Stan Lee returns to the coffee shop doing a head-tilt that would make all the SHAFT characters jealous, Lina gets kidnapped by some of the most ridiculously designed thugs I've seen in an anime, and Okabe Rintarou has apparently begun working for the US government.

Narag

I'd rather listen to what people like, because it's more enjoyable and would make me want to go seek out shows like that. I just don't think AnimeGAF as a collective podcast effort can make a positive-sounding podcast or find good in shows they don't like.

That's where planning and a host to move things along comes in which, in turn, requires work so it'll never be done!

cajunator

Banned
lol, not in the mood for that kind of despair at the moment.

With cajun reassuring me up there, I think I'm going to stick it out if only for the reason of putting off writing up my AOTY post for a few more days.

Really, there are many ways this could go for me to not consider it a waste of time. Doesn't need to go full grimdark to accomplish that.

it gets pretty dark and not just for what you think so far.
I dont want to spoil it.

what is this a cutie maker?

I'm a subscriber and the largest problem I have is that their website is terrible. I think they have a decent amount of content but finding it is a total pain in the ass and sorting through episode listings for a show is a joke. They recently released an app on PS3 which is miles ahead of trying to use their website, so I'll probably just use that from now on.

I watched a handful of series on it so far. Unbreakable Machine Dolls was one recently. Crunchy gets almost everything.

Well, the next season is getting close so might as well get the hype train rolling on a few shows I'm excited about. I'm curious about what others are looking forward to as well, so by all means follow my lead.

Also I noticed there's a show called Juuou Mujin no Fafnir and one called Soukyuu no Fafner EXODUS and they air on the same day so that'll be fun

---Actually Super Hyped For---

1. Death Parade

I really like Death Billiards and they made a series of it which I was never expecting nor hoping would happen. So I'm pretty happy.

2. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Stardust Crusaders Egypt Arc

Also known as the far better half of Part 3, if DP manages to properly adapt some scenes well or go forward with some of the more difficult parts like Oingo Boingo and Iggy's changing design (which I have faith they will) it should be great. I also want to see some good sakuga for the DIO fight.

---Riding the Wave On---

3. Yoru no Yatterman

I don't know nuddin 'bout Yatterman except the stuff from Tatsunoko vs Capcom so might as well watch the new one.

4. Yuri Kuma Arashi

Alright first off it's called LESBIAN BEAR STORM so there's no way I can not watch this, and second off I think I had some awakening after reading the manga Honto no Kanojo and dear lord I think I might like yuri

5 .Koufuku Graffiti

I'm just going to end up calling this Shaft Cooking or Not Shokugeki no Soma.

6. Doamaiger D

Dumb show about a candy serving giant robot will watch

7. Rolling☆Girls

Some people seem excited for this and it looks pretty so hey why not?
I have no clue what it's about though.

8. Kantai

As far as I know this is Boats and Hoes: The Animation.

9. Aldnoah Zero S2

I expect nothing.

Continuing -
Shirobako
Reconguista in G
Gundam Build Fighters Try
Log Horizon 2
Cross Ange
Parasyte

I'm going to watch too many shows next season to bother listing. Plus I don't want everyone to see how amazing my tastes are and feel bad by comparison.

~waaaaaaaaaaaaan

Soma

Oh Death Parade and Yurikuma are both airing in the Winter Season?

And here I was ready to dismiss this season due to the inevitably obnoxious Kancolle and Idolmaster waifu wars.

Yeah, you sure already seeing some post about last eps.. its really hard to not talking about it when every your post so far like "its wasting my time" :::)

Maybe "wasting my time" is too harsh. I just went into it with different expectations.

When it comes to magical girl stuff, it's either got to be full of despair or extremely hot-blooded with decent-great choreography like Symphogear. If it's not those, it's usually more along the lines of Sentai, something I've never been able to get into which is why stuff like Sailor Moon and Precure aren't for me.

Articalys

Oh right, during the last season I also watched a handful of movies:

Witch Sisters Yoyo & Nene -- Excellent visuals, fucking phenomenal OST, decent story. Enjoyed it a bunch and it's definitely a great adventure film.
AnoHana -- Having not watched the series since it aired, the recap bits didn't remind me enough of why I should care about the characters in the epilogue bits. Ended up highlighting more of the problems of the original show than the good parts, though the final scene at the tree is still ridiculously unfair with how effective Secret Base is as a song. The post-credits scene got me a bit too.
Idolmaster -- Really good overall. It's a natural consequence of so many characters with so little time but it's a shame some of them got shoved aside with less lines. Nonetheless enjoyed seeing all the characters again but it'll be nice to have fresh faces with the upcoming TV series.
Steins;Gate -- Okay, I guess. Felt more like just an extension of the TV series than anything of a suitable "movie" scale, though maybe that was just a lack of production values.
The Tale of The Princess Kaguya -- Definitely liked it. Artstyle grew on me quickly and while I had to deal with the usual idiotic American theater audience, the emotional parts worked well. I was actually lucky enough that my theater was also screening the Takahata making-of documentary, which helped my understanding of the movie (and was neat to watch in its own right); it's nice that it'll be on the U.S. home release so everyone can watch it.

javac

During 2014 I didn't watch a single thing outside of KLK that came out during said year, but I've been on a 80's vibe as always. 2015 should see the release of LWA2 right? I hope to get my Ultimate Blu-ray when it comes out :p

2015 should see the release of LWA2 right?

Hopefully.

so why isn't any discussing this?

What is wrong with you people?

This is gonna be the GOAT of the season.

It was discussed when the triple cour split was first announced. Think it's the first of it's kind.
Unless you mean "why isn't anyone hyped for Durarara"

damn still behind on the previous season. :(

at least the holiday season is finally over for me so i can have more free time to watch shows again.

There is still time!

zulux21

Well, the next season is getting close so might as well get the hype train rolling on a few shows I'm excited about. I'm curious about what others are looking forward to as well, so by all means follow my lead.

My list is pretty short.

Shows I am actually looking forward to checking out the first episode of (but still not expecting much from them)
Ansatsu Kyoushitsu - looks like it could be amusing.
Death Parade - I am merely hoping for over the top pain and death like in Another.
Durarara!!x2 Shou - I would expect more if it wasn't broken up into 3 separate seasons
Tokyo Ghoul √A - given the adaption of the first season I can't expect a ton for this season.

shows I will likely check the first episode out and then drop because it's terrible
Aldnoah.Zero 2 - I am mostly curious if they get through the first episode before confirming (end of season one spoilers)
that the princess is alive, mr. emotionless is alive, and the count that was shot at the end is alive.
I doubt I could sit through another season of the terrible writing in the show, but who knows maybe the second season will be even one step worse and it will go from just being terrible to terrible but in a funny way.

Shows I am continuing from last season:
Kiseijuu: Sei no Kakuritsu
Magic Kaito 1412 (at least crunchy roll finally got the rights for this one)
Nanatsu no Taizai (still don't get why neither funimation or crunchy has rights for this one -_-)
Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso

and yeah, that's it. I might check out a few other shows if I hear good things, but given in general I dislike Moe and Ecchi shows this season isn't very good for me and is merely stuff to pass the time until the far better looking spring season comes with Baby Steps 2, Digimon Adventure tri.(I'm not actually a digimon fan but I am curious what they are going to do with it and my wife is a fan so it will be worth watching just to make her happy), Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works 2nd Season, Kekkai Sensen (it will likely be bad but alas bones + trigun creator = something I have to check out), Ninja Slayer From Animation (I am curious to see how this one turns out), Nisekoi 2 (I know, it's cliche and nothing really happens but I enjoy watching it to make other anime feel better), Ore Monogatari!!, and last but not least Shokugeki no Souma. such a better looking season to me @_@

Shergal

I was actually lucky enough that my theater was also screening the Takahata making-of documentary, which helped my understanding of the movie (and was neat to watch in its own right); it's nice that it'll be on the U.S. home release so everyone can watch it.

I wasn't aware of this.

Good stuff, can't wait for that.

zulux21

Might want to check out the original short Death Billiards first because it will definitely not be like Another.

>.> well to be fair not be like Another is a good thing, because the only redeeming part of Another is the comedy caused by the poorly done deaths as the show is pretty bad otherwise.

that is just my current hopes for it. I might check out Death Billiards, but I am currently busy with a Doctor Who Marathon with my wife, and Torchwood on my own (thus I haven't been posting as much in here :p) I am not to excited for Death Parade anyways, just a decent looking show in a sea of very mediocre looking shows in the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom