• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 |OT2| Idly waiting for the Dog Days of Sabre

Status
Not open for further replies.
So apparently people from the first episode screening for Yuri Kuma Arashi have said that it had
......gore.......
, I'm even more interested in it now.

lWRlcGG.gif

Bring on Winter!

phaze

Amagi Briliant Park 7-13 END

This was already a fairly decent watch but the finale was a grade above. Hit all the right notes for me; funny, sad with a happy and heart warming ending. Fairly predictable
outside of the wizard reveal
but it didn't detract from my enjoyment of the show. Macaroni&Tiramisu <3

Girls und Panzer: Kore ga Hontou no Anzio-sen Desu!
000635orsfr.png
000649rks5e.png
000650fwszc.png

^Such lies.

And accurate representation of what a hell WWII must have been for Mussolini.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Crystal Episode 13:

So we have reached another point in this series where watchers of the 1990s anime are probably going to be taken aback in a few ways. Indeed, the final battle plays out much differently, not necessarily better, but certainly differently. I will say that it seems no matter what the incarnation the main villains Beryl and Metalia are just not terribly interesting. Here, Metalia is your bog standard monstrous force that seeks to drain all life and it of marginal interest. As much as I have issues with the next arc, it did give us far more interesting villains across the board. Anyway, yea, it looks this episode actually had some money behind it and thus looks much better then the previous one. Don't really have much to say really as this final encounter doesn't play out poorly but I would be lying if I didn't say everything has the air of cliche behind it.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
There's a dance arcade machine with Hare2 Yukai in it near my home. Gameplay is basically just dance, but in public, That was kinda cool.

Shingeki no Bahamut 12

WHat a way to end the series. Cool fighting scene between Favaro and Kaisar. The way it end, it seem there's a sequel planned? Can't wait for more Favaro and Kaiser adventure.

Yuuki Yuna is a hero 12

I did not expect this ending at all. This is 180 degree turn from the previous episode. Seeing the end credit make me feel there's more to this ending. Probably a sequel with different hero club?
Well, it's been enjoyable ride. Still one of the better show this season.

UBW finale

Well, the date scene is cute, but the 2nd half is kinda eh....
But screw it, with this, UFOTABLE can focus on the best part about UBW, which is the action scene! April can't come soon enough.

Jex

[Yowamushi Pedal] 1 - 38 & [Grade Road] 1 - 12]

Who knew that inserting a random team into the final day of the race would really kill the pacing, especially considering said team have had no set up at all. I still can't believe that the 'tragic backstory' revolves around a water bottle. pffff

Jex

It was a bit too on the nose for me. Reminded me of Medaka Box and not in a flattering way. I expected more from Nisio coming off of Hanamonogatari but I guess my real mistake is expecting anything from him at all.

Nisio is nothing if not inconsistent, much like the quality of the various adaptations.

Midonin

Sailor Moon Crystal 13

So the 90s anime took a different way to arrive at the same conclusion. Not bad, but I still think the live action version is the best incarnation.

Milky Holmes TD 01

So it's Milky Holmes meets Shugo Chara meets an idol anime. The anime's tie-in nature was known from the beginning, and the plots were never quite about Milky Holmes themselves. It looks like it's trying to blend the Moriwaki-infused Looney Tunes-esque style of the first two seasons with a more serious, overarching case like We Are and Alternative. The closest I've seen to a compromise on the (equally valid) interpretations of this franchise. The weird brightly-colored wonderland that appeared certainly adds a new dimension to things - didn't we just get done with that in Yuyuyu? - and I appreciate all the little callbacks, at least excusing why the familiar elements aren't there. Why the rest of G4 is MIA, why the Phantom Thief Empire isn't responsible for this, the return of the narration (with a twist). It's a different kind of Milky Holmes, but it's still Milky Holmes, and it makes for a fine start to this new season.

phaze

Mushishi 04
Welp. So much for happy endings. I think Space Dandy might have cured my allergy for episodic shows because I'm enjoying this quite a bit. Though I do think having to introduce and resolve each Mushi case in the span of 20 minutes makes the resolutions and their aftermath feel bit rushed sometimes.

Kemonozume 03-04

Jesus effing Christ, why.

So let me get this straight.
Toshihiko's father killed his own Flesh Eater wife and mother of his second son/Toshihiko's stepbrother to achieve Kemonozume and was 25 years later killed by her daughter from the previous marriage. And this daughter just happens to be Toshihiko's girlfriend right now, one for whom he threw his whole life away.
Those are like, the most fucked up family circumstances ever. It's hard to see this ending on a happy or even bitter sweet note now.

Jex

Kemonozume 03-04

Jesus effing Christ, why.

So let me get this straight.
Toshihiko's father killed his own Flesh Eater wife and mother of his second son/Toshihiko's stepbrother to achieve Kemonozume and was 25 years later killed by her daughter from the previous marriage. And this daughter just happens to be Toshihiko's girlfriend right now, one for whom he threw his whole life away.
Those are like, the most fucked up family circumstances ever. It's hard to see this ending on a happy or even bitter sweet note now.

You'll never see the ending coming.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Nisio is nothing if not inconsistent, much like the quality of the various adaptations.

It's a cruel irony that Hanamonogatari echoes the strengths of writing from the first season but also the same low quality animation (literally worst anime basketball I've ever seen), while Tuskimonogatari has the same production values as Nisemonogatari, easily one of the best looking -monogatari series, but also the same voyeuristic tendencies and sloppy plotting/pacing.

OR IS THIS LIKE, REALLY META???

Bow down, mortals:
Your pathetic "wafus" cannot compare to the glory of my hipster goddess.

Denki-Gai 07

Spring is for panties and autumn is for breasts. Good to know.

It's an hot springs episode with the usual boob comparison and lots of summer festival stuff as well. More relationship drama than usual.

Jex

It's a cruel irony that Hanamonogatari echoes the strengths of writing from the first season but also the same low quality animation (literally worst anime basketball I've ever seen), while Tuskimonogatari has the same production values as Nisemonogatari, easily one of the best looking -monogatari series, but also the same voyeuristic tendencies and sloppy plotting/pacing.

OR IS THIS LIKE, REALLY META???
As far as I can tell, neither SHAFT nor Nisio could have predicted the insane success of Bakemonogatari which I assume, in turn, fuelled more sales for the novels. It was clearly in the best interests of Nisio and SHAFT to keep pumping out these products while interest was so high and that has lead to some very uneven anime. Sometimes Nisio will write a good story and sometimes SHAFT will producing a good looking adaptation but very rarely do those two aspects cross over into a great anime.

Haly

As far as I can tell, neither SHAFT nor Nisio could have predicted the insane success of Bakemonogatari which I assume, in turn, fuelled more sales for the novels. It was clearly in the best interests of Nisio and SHAFT to keep pumping out these products while interest was so high and that has lead to some very uneven anime. Sometimes Nisio will write a good story and sometimes SHAFT will producing a good looking adaptation but very rarely do those two aspects cross over into a great anime.

Surely, Kizu's delays are due to them trying to line up their peaks to produce the best work possible.

SURELY.

Clov

Speaking of Monogatari, can someone explain to me what happened in Tsukimonogatari's ending? I was a bit tired when I watched it, so I think I missed the entire point of Araragi and
that crane folding guy that Yotsugi kills'
conversation.

Haly

Araragi: Vampire powers like a drug, confrontation was to accustom him to handling apparition problems without relying on powers.
Yotsugi: Point was to show to Araragi what happens to humans that become full monsters in order to further persuade him to not turn into a vampire.
Shinobu: Doesn't care about his humanity but only his continued existence. Only defers to his choice to remain human out of love and loyalty.
Crane guy: Realized that he's a character in a shit Light Novel series and got all depressed about it.
Overall: Foreshadowing for some confrontation with Oshino somewhere down the line.

Clov

Araragi: Vampire powers like a drug, confrontation was to accustom him to handling apparition problems without relying on powers.
Yotsugi: Point was to show to Araragi what happens to humans that become full monsters in order to further persuade him to not turn into a vampire.
Shinobu: Doesn't care about his humanity but only his continued existence. Only defers to his choice to remain human out of love and loyalty.
Crane guy: Realized that he's a character in a shit Light Novel series and got all depressed about it.
Overall: Foreshadowing for some confrontation with Oshino somewhere down the line.

The first three I got well enough, but was that literally what he was talking about? That's... pretty silly, but he's not an important character anyway.

Haly

but he's not an important character anyway.

Yes, and he's sad about that. His sole purpose in "life" was to be a catalyst for Araragi's development.

It's silly and dumb and not even 2deep4me, but more 0deep2me.

Dandte

Hello Anime Gaffer...is this the correct form? Anyway, after days of stucking in the queue i'm finally allowed to post. So hello hello wise men and girls of anime and other stuff.

I went absent from Anime nearly 4 1/2 years, but around a month ago i decided it's time for some Anime and Manga. Rewatch of Cowboy Bebop and Berserk golden arc were my anime of choice.

I guess i missed a lot of great stuff in the last years, so i'm asking you to help me out of this misery. When it comes to genres i'm split into two persons.

I enjoy action as much as i enjoy romance/drama, so i'm looking for both.

Action requirements:

Story has to be "ok"
Good animations realistic looking characters, enlarged on the setting. I would watch mecha to, hell i love Film like Pacific Rim :3
Setting: Scifi->present age->Sport->Medi-Evil->Fantasy
No endless Anime like OP, Bleach
No use of ecchi elements, only if they are required for the story or could happen in real life to.
In terms of animation i prefer very sharp images or washed out chars and pretty natural looking backgrounds: Cowboy bebop, Zankyou no terror, The girl who leaped through time, Parasyte.

Romance/ Slice of Life requirements:

Story has to be ok but also the main aspect
Brillant animation and realistic looking characters, Taiga from Toradora was on the edge. Clannad is just a no go.
Setting:
Drama->Dram/Rom->Rom->Rom/Com->Dram/Com
College->High-school->Working and education
Max of 50 episodes
Ecchi elements only if necessary
In terms of animation i prefer very sharp images or washed out chars and pretty natural looking backgrounds: Cowboy bebop, Zankyou no terror, The girl who leaped through time, Parasyte.

The last animes which i enjoyed (my scale of personal enjoyment) were:

Golden Time: 8/10
sakurasou no pet na kanojo: 7/10
White Album 2: 10/10
Kokoro Connect: 8/10
Toradora: 6,5/10
Parasyite: 7/10
Cowboy Bebop: 100/10
Zankyou no Terror: 8/10
Shigofumi: 7/10
Kimi ga Nozomu Eien: 8/10 ( the animation is so bad compared to today)
High School of the Dead: 10/10 (probs for animation and trash factor)

So, hope this will help you to get in my twisted mind and recommend me something i will enjoy. As i wrote above the character artwork is an important point for me, so something like clannad, which i really would enjoy i guess, i can't watch.

Also sorry for the grammatical errors and spelling mistakes. English isn't my native language but i will try to do my best and fit in.

Thanks for reading this and again Hello Neogaf!

Clov

Yes, and he's sad about that. His sole purpose in "life" was to be a catalyst for Araragi's development.

It's silly and dumb and not even 2deep4me, but more 0deep2me.

Well, it's not the dumbest or silliest thing the franchise has seen yet, so I'm not too bothered by it.

Not that this matters at all, but what I thought was more silly was how Yotsugi
somehow got inside of a crane game/UFO catcher, twice. No idea how she managed that.

Sailor Moon Crystal 13

Wow I haven't watched any anime since the last episode of Sailor Moon Crystal aired :X

Very enjoyable episode, though I hate to call this anime this was basically a motion manga as the animation was virtually non existent. The story was good and kept me engaged and of course that cliff hanger ending was a huge troll. Looking forward to the climax in two weeks though I do plan to watch more anime between now and then.

Am just watching Silver Spoon - ep10 and since they're about to take the pigs away for slaughter they want to play up the drama and thus...cue sad piano music while we get a flashback of MCs favorite pig 'Pork Bowl" growing up.

I think it was Jexhius who just recently commented on the poor use of music in sad or dramatic sequences. Also someone else mentioned how the drama works only so well if you can foresee what's most likely going to happen and when, as is precisely the case here with the pig.

Overall Silver Spoon (S1) is alright so far (well am close to the end). Can't say I find the subject topic of livestock farming and agriculture very interesting, but the 'harsh reality' angle works fairly well and the characters are alright. MC feels like a somewhat bland and slightly inconsistent character but he isn't too bad. Though I do loath the background story drama teasing that's going on. I get it, at the end of this episode or the final next one we'll finally know what's going on at his home (very demanding father and probably more) but the secrecy doesn't seem worth it, as I doubt there's gonna be much of a payoff for that. Fortunately the episodes are strong enough on their own so I don't mind this poor carrot on a stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom