• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 |OT2| Idly waiting for the Dog Days of Sabre

Status
Not open for further replies.
Encouragement of Climb S2 08

XUd55UU.jpg

Everything has been planned and bought and worries have been calmed, so it's finally time for the big climb.

cajunator

Banned
Hello Anime Gaffer...is this the correct form? Anyway, after days of stucking in the queue i'm finally allowed to post. So hello hello wise men and girls of anime and other stuff.

I went absent from Anime nearly 4 1/2 years, but around a month ago i decided it's time for some Anime and Manga. Rewatch of Cowboy Bebop and Berserk golden arc were my anime of choice.

I guess i missed a lot of great stuff in the last years, so i'm asking you to help me out of this misery. When it comes to genres i'm split into two persons.

I enjoy action as much as i enjoy romance/drama, so i'm looking for both.

Action requirements:

Story has to be "ok"
Good animations realistic looking characters, enlarged on the setting. I would watch mecha to, hell i love Film like Pacific Rim :3
Setting: Scifi->present age->Sport->Medi-Evil->Fantasy
No endless Anime like OP, Bleach
No use of ecchi elements, only if they are required for the story or could happen in real life to.
In terms of animation i prefer very sharp images or washed out chars and pretty natural looking backgrounds: Cowboy bebop, Zankyou no terror, The girl who leaped through time, Parasyte.

Romance/ Slice of Life requirements:

Story has to be ok but also the main aspect
Brillant animation and realistic looking characters, Taiga from Toradora was on the edge. Clannad is just a no go.
Setting:
Drama->Dram/Rom->Rom->Rom/Com->Dram/Com
College->High-school->Working and education
Max of 50 episodes
Ecchi elements only if necessary
In terms of animation i prefer very sharp images or washed out chars and pretty natural looking backgrounds: Cowboy bebop, Zankyou no terror, The girl who leaped through time, Parasyte.

The last animes which i enjoyed (my scale of personal enjoyment) were:

Golden Time: 8/10
sakurasou no pet na kanojo: 7/10
White Album 2: 10/10
Kokoro Connect: 8/10
Toradora: 6,5/10
Parasyite: 7/10
Cowboy Bebop: 100/10
Zankyou no Terror: 8/10
Shigofumi: 7/10
Kimi ga Nozomu Eien: 8/10 ( the animation is so bad compared to today)
High School of the Dead: 10/10

So, hope this will help you to get in my twisted mind and recommend me something i will enjoy. As i wrote above the character artwork is an important point for me, so something like clannad, which i really would enjoy i guess, i can't watch.

Also sorry for the grammatical errors and spelling mistakes. English isn't my native language but i will try to do my best and fit in.

Thanks for reading this and again Hello Neogaf!

Welcome!!

I would recommend Planetes and Space Brothers based on what you like. However be warned that Space Bros isnt a shounen action show but a unique hard sci fi life story of sorts that goes for over 100 episodes.

phaze

You'll never see the ending coming.

Glad to hear that.

Crane guy: Realized that he's a character in a shit Light Novel series and got all depressed about it.

The explanation for his actions given by himself and then by Araragi seem to contradict each other.

Tatsurugi plain out says that he doesn't want to be manipulated by someone (aka Ougi I imagine) into making Araragi a "proper" vampire.

Araragi interprets this whole incident as a way to sever his friendship with Yotsugi and that Tatsurugi just followed that plan for some unexplained reason.

Ad hoc conclusion: Origami guy thought he was going against Ougi's keikaku (as perceived by him) but he played right into her hand.

And well, he was suicidal. I would be too after years of not touching ground !

Brillant animation and realistic looking characters, Taiga from Toradora was on the edge. Clannad is just a no go.
Setting:
Max of 50 episodes

I liked Golden Time, but pretty shocking to see someone prefer it over Toradora.

For drama/"romance" I highly recommend Chihayafuru. I say "romance" because that really doesn't become a thing until late in the second season... and there's no third season.

Speaking of Monogatari, can someone explain to me what happened in Tsukimonogatari's ending? I was a bit tired when I watched it, so I think I missed the entire point of Araragi and
that crane folding guy that Yotsugi kills'
conversation.

The first three I got well enough, but was that literally what he was talking about? That's... pretty silly, but he's not an important character anyway.

Lol , that was actuall forshadowing for things that will be told later lol.

Little explanation in advance :
Things have gone off balance, things that should exist don't , and things that shouldn't exist , well exist.
The exemples were numerous , mayoi existence since she had lost her purpose , or hanekawa sawari neko ( that shouldn't be what it is, hanekawa herself made it something else ) so the balance is out of order for numerous reasons.
Someone is actively seeking to restore order by whatever means possible.

So what happenned ?

When nadeko was a deity , aragi visited every morning to try to get her to changer her mind, nadeko always beat him to near death, thanks to those numerous transformations , he abused his vampire powers. Now he has to stop using those , unless he will become a full vampire. he can continue feeding shinobu , but he shouldn't use his full vampire powers , otherwise it's back to full vampire mode with all the weakness that goes with it ( since his base was a normal human before ).

Shinobu doesn't care whenever aragi goes full vampire or not as long as they stay together. She know araragi has a long life ahead of him either way , since she finally got the compagnion she was seeking all those centuries. ( Yeah she doesn't even care about senjjyogahara , she waits for her turn ) .

Anyway the bad guy goal this time was
to break ( and still is ) each of araragi companions tied to the occult to restore balance. So she/he put aragi in a situation where he will have to either :
1-Fight using vampire powers , stay vampires and get killed since he would then not be considered "harmless" by the circle
2-Fight as a human , get killed . Mission accomplished , one less thing that upset the balance alive.
3-Let Yotsugi kill the guy, knowing that would make the relationship between her and araragi complicated ( most likely the real goal this time )

So araragi confront the guy , who realise that he was manipulated by the same bad guy, and he says " screw it , not gonna kill you , but someone is really trying to mess with everyone , you should find oshino ASAP " and then get killed by Yotsugi.

So araragi get his sisters back , then goes to see senjyogahara , they agree that they need to find hanekawa since she is looking for oshino herself , but not today since ..well valentines day .. For additionnal information gahara-chan doesn't care that arargi becomes a vampire or not since she decided to love him regardless .

And aragi later that day comes back home only to find Yotsugi there posing as a doll . 3 reasons : First to protect aragi sisters if a threat comes , Second to give information to gaen and vice versa if araragi is forced to use his vampire powers , Third to restore the gap that was created since Yotsugi killed one of her creator in cold blood.
THE END.

Ps: you probably should have understood who is the bad guy already in all this mess.

Glad to hear that.

The explanation for his actions given by himself and then by Araragi seem to contradict each other.

Tatsurugi plain out says that he doesn't want to be manipulated by someone (aka Ougi I imagine) into making Araragi a "proper" vampire.

Araragi interprets this whole incident as a way to sever his friendship with Yotsugi and that Tatsurugi just followed that plan for some unexplained reason.

Ad hoc conclusion: Origami guy thought he was going against Ougi's keikaku (as perceived by him) but he played right into her hand.

And well, he was suicidal. I would be too after years of not touching ground !

The things with ougi sohino is that you can't really prevent her plans from being effective. The best anyone can do is to minimize the effects She plans better than lelouch vi britania. /s
Tatsurugi was in a situation where he probably couldn't not kidnapping those 3 ... whatever methods ougi used is unclear however.

cajunator

Banned
I liked Golden Time, but pretty shocking to see someone prefer it over Toradora.

For drama/"romance" I highly recommend Chihayafuru. I say "romance" because that really doesn't become a thing until late in the second season... and there's no third season.

Oh man.
i fully endorse Chihayafuru too.
he might enjoy that one!

Dandte

Thanks @ all who responded so quickly! I guess my problem was that i expected more of toradora. I#ve watched golden time first, so i thought toradora will be also romance drama all the way, on the humoristic side, toradora is better than golden time.

Chihayafuru looks really interesting, but open ending? :s
Planetes - i'm pretty sure i will enjoy this
Space Brothers- allways thought on buying the manga. still can't decide

madp

The Light of El Cantare
It's nice to reaffirm just how much we love each other at the end of each thread. By which I mean, fuck all of the sexless neckbeard babyfuckers, i.e. everyone here except Captain Cool Customer Clubmonster #1 Me. You all reek of jizz and spaghetti-os.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
madp is this your account suicide.

It's pretty tame if so I was expecting more yuri tbh I feel let down.

cajunator

Banned
It's nice to reaffirm just how much we love each other at the end of each thread. By which I mean, fuck all of the sexless neckbeard babyfuckers, i.e. everyone here except Captain Cool Customer Clubmonster #1 Me. You all reek of jizz and spaghetti-os.

We gotta skype sometime next week.

Action requirements:
No use of ecchi elements, only if they are required for the story or could happen in real life to.

I'm actually kinda curious.

How did HSOTD get that kinda score from you.

Considering its just loaded with fanservice/ecchi everywhere.

Including classic moments you would never expect to happen in real life.

vmwDhLI.gif

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Guys, how should I tackle Hajime no Ippo? Watch all of Fighting/New Challenger/Rising and then continue reading from wherever Rising leaves off?

Those openings just get me so hype. Especially Hekireki.

I don't see a problem, they're clearly 5000 year old witches, so it's fine.

edit:
episode 11 of SIlver Spoon and another bunch of flashbacks with some mellow music.

Half an episode to go but so far, 5-6/10. Average.

Guys, how should I tackle Hajime no Ippo? Watch all of Fighting/New Challenger/Rising and then continue reading from wherever Rising leaves off?

Those openings just get me so hype. Especially Hekireki.

You should definitely watch all of Hajime no Ippo (OVA's included).

Reading is all up to you if you want to be up to date with the current events.

Though you should listen to the openings if you read, because like you just said, they're are indeed hype.

cajunator

Banned
Ah yeah, didn't mean anything by that--your post was just the easiest to respond to.

Do what you guys want I guess, I can at least put that I offered token resistance on my resume.

Its fine. I understand where youre coming from. However sometimes this thread really needs a bit of levity to escape the droll negativity that permeates it.

Dandte

I'm actually kinda curious.

How did HSOTD get that kinda score from you.

Considering its just loaded with fanservice/ecchi everywhere.

Including classic moments you would never expect to happen in real life.

vmwDhLI.gif

It's allways fun watching it with friends and some beer, like old 80s movie. It's just so over the top and bad it's brilliant. Maybe i should have added a smiley or a note to the score.

True Tears looks interesting, Does it have a well told story? 13 ep. seems kinda short.

Mature

Hello Anime Gaffer...is this the correct form? Anyway, after days of stucking in the queue i'm finally allowed to post. So hello hello wise men and girls of anime and other stuff.

I went absent from Anime nearly 4 1/2 years, but around a month ago i decided it's time for some Anime and Manga. Rewatch of Cowboy Bebop and Berserk golden arc were my anime of choice.

I guess i missed a lot of great stuff in the last years, so i'm asking you to help me out of this misery. When it comes to genres i'm split into two persons.

I enjoy action as much as i enjoy romance/drama, so i'm looking for both.

Action requirements:

Story has to be "ok"
Good animations realistic looking characters, enlarged on the setting. I would watch mecha to, hell i love Film like Pacific Rim :3
Setting: Scifi->present age->Sport->Medi-Evil->Fantasy
No endless Anime like OP, Bleach

Setting:
Max of 50 episodes

So, hope this will help you to get in my twisted mind and recommend me something i will enjoy. As i wrote above the character artwork is an important point for me, so something like clannad, which i really would enjoy i guess, i can't watch.

Also sorry for the grammatical errors and spelling mistakes. English isn't my native language but i will try to do my best and fit in.

Thanks for reading this and again Hello Neogaf!
Hello! You're in the correct place. You should consider making a quick myanimelist or hummingbird to list and rate the shows you've seen. Might make it easier in the future if you're looking for recommendations so people can see what you like at a glance.

If you'd like to see what AnimeGAF has enjoyed, the anime of the year lists are pretty good identifiers, and the last two years had pretty solid lists: 2012, 2013.

As for things to recommend to you specifically, I don't really know how much you've seen/what you've seen before your four year hiatus, so here's some random shows that somewhat meet your criteria:
-Space Battleship Yamato 2199
-Darker than Black
-Samurai Champloo
-Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
-Gurren Lagann

Syrinx

Hey Rightstuf I love you and whatever but I placed my order on Sunday and you still haven't shipped the damn thing yet.

Hey Rightstuf I love you and whatever but I placed my order on Sunday and you still haven't shipped the damn thing yet.

Meanwhile Non Non Biyori has shipped a couple days after ordering.

Chances are it could be on backorder? That'swhy my copy of Kino's Journey hasn't made it in yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom