• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 |OT2| Idly waiting for the Dog Days of Sabre

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to my (admitedly limited) knowledge. Most anime is set in:

- Japan

or

- A fictional land

so you don't often see those kinds of leads.

Yeah, I realize the type of settings you can find in anime traditionally don't result in the main character role landing on someone from an actual middle eastern country (or fictionally named equivalent). And to a lesser extent supporting cast (although the ambiguous character design in many shows means it's a lot harder to pinpoint unless stated explicitly). It's understandable that a country with a fairly large native population (in comparison to foreigners) would have most of their main characters and cast skew towards that.

Still, I think it's interesting to see what's there in terms of the representation of other ethnicities (I know there are bad examples but I like focusing on what's good, or at least not offensive).

I don't think so. Most of the Gundam Protag's are either Japanese (Kira Yamato), North American (Garrod Ran) or a combination of the two (Amuro Ray) I think Setsuna's one of the only main protagonists that isn't in one of those 3 catagories, let alone Middle Eastern.

It seems to be relatively rare. Off the top of my head, I can only think of Full Metal Panic! as another series with a middle eastern main character.

Canaan

can't think of anything else at the moment. I want to say Muhammad Avdol, but he's more of a supporting character.

Completely forgot about Sousuke and Canaan. One interesting thing to note is how military/guerrilla warfare is part of their backgrounds IIRC. I may be mistaken but I don't think their backgrounds really define them past the initial introductions/arc which is good to see since you sometimes see characters (not speaking about anime in particular here) where they wear their ethnicity on their sleeve and don't really have any features or personality beyond presenting a reinforced stereotype.

StormKing

Reading up some more about Shinsekai Yori I'm once again amazed by just how well thought out and conclusive its world is. If it wasn't for the occasional poor animations due to an obviously low budget, this would deserve to be at the very top of my anime and film/series list overall. It's still up about there, but man, if only this would've gotten the big budget instead of SAO :/ Which happens to have completely garbage world worlding.

SAO started out amazing and went downhill quickly (plot wise).
Shinsekai yori started slow and got better over time. Unfortunately even though its world building was incredible, the characters suffered to achieve it. As a result, it failed commercially as an anime in Japan. I wonder if adapting it as a TV Show or movie might have fit better.

Droplet

SAO started out amazing and went downhill quickly (plot wise).
Shinsekai yori started slow and got better over time. Unfortunately even though its world building was incredible, the characters suffered to achieve it. As a result, it failed commercially as an anime in Japan. I wonder if adapting it as a TV Show or movie might have fit better.

I keep thinking that a live action version of SSY would be really interesting, and then I remember that a significant portion of the plot revolves around rat people. There was already a bit of unintentional humor that came from them in some of the less well animated episodes, I would hate to see a show with such compelling writing suffer from that kind of awkwardness. I couldn't really see it working as a movie either, as I thought that although there seemed to be some pacing issues in episodes by themselves, as a whole the series was a pretty perfect length for describing the world.

Taruranto

GAROOOO #8

sb3VXHO.jpg

I liked that the knights were close enough to shoot the horse but not close enough to reach them asap and they were able to argue between them before they even arrived.

Also, I like to point out how fucking stupid Anna's dress was:

Can I just say how the 2nd GIG opening is frigging amazing. It's among the best opening sequences I've ever seen.

I kinda wish there was an English cover somewhere.

Shin Sekai Yori 23

That's quite a cliffhanger to leave things on.
With Shun showing up (You really couldn't drop that Holy Barrier truth bomb 13 episodes earlier ?) and the Cantus leakage issue emerging once again
, my prediction
about Queerats being former humans
may yet come true. Would be the first.

2 episodes seem like an awfully short time to resolve the story and answer all the remaining question. Will try to finish this today.

As for the winter, my picks are: Tokyo Ghoul (no way in hell i'm typing that stupid subtitle, Durarara !! x2. Will try Death Parade, at least a few episodes of Aldnoah for futher lols and perhaps Jojo, if it manages to free itself from the monster of the week stuff.

Hey Tokyo Ghoul's season 2 subtitle is actually clever because Root A means roots of Aogiri Tree.

I recall things here and there, but I like grim dark and each person has their scale so lol. The point is that the past story was the only one I cared about in S2, and made me like Dante priest all the more.

Selector Spread WIXOSS ep11

Mayu just keeps finding better and better ways to inflict this show with more and more despair. So the big deal is revealed. Mayu is actually dead which never really crossed my mind which in a way make her an Eternal Girl for she shall never age. No idea why Ruko gave a friendship speech to a vengeful ghost, like that would work. Though I did love Mayu's reaction to the speech the was how boring regular battles are unless someone's fucking life/future is at stake and basically telling Ruko to fuck off with that friendship bullshit. The only way I can see this being solved is Tama beating the shit out of the Mayu so hard that she passes on. Oh and I fully expect the girls to find someone truly awful in that house like Mayu's lonely remains.

jbug617

Banned
Your Lie in April 10

I wish that there was more emphasis in the music like in Nodame Cantabile.
I didn't think they would show his mother smiling after that. I thought it would take more longer for him to think that she is happy.

Also the lady in the end is going to be great. you can already tell.

Selector Spread WIXOSS ep11

Mayu just keeps finding better and better ways to inflict this show with more and more despair. So the big deal is revealed. Mayu is actually dead which never really crossed my mind which in a way make her an Eternal Girl for she shall never age. No idea why Ruko gave a friendship speech to a vengeful ghost, like that would work. Though I did love Mayu's reaction to the speech the was how boring regular battles are unless someone's fucking life/future is at stake and basically telling Ruko to fuck off with that friendship bullshit. The only way I can see this being solved is Tama beating the shit out of the Mayu so hard that she passes on. Oh and I fully expect the girls to find someone truly awful in that house like Mayu's lonely remains.
I can't take a 3rd season... this better get wrapped well.

Future Card Buddyfight Episode 49 (engDub)

Solar Panel Man is such a funny card design. What was the creator thinking? Solar kick even. I cant any Hero World card.

Paruko was a fun fighter, I hope she will do one more buddyfight in the 2nd year of Buddyfight.

I liked Baks plot. he needs to definitely do Darkness Dragon World

Reading up some more about Shinsekai Yori I'm once again amazed by just how well thought out and conclusive its world is. If it wasn't for the occasional poor animations due to an obviously low budget, this would deserve to be at the very top of my anime and film/series list overall. It's still up about there, but man, if only this would've gotten the big budget instead of SAO :/ Which happens to have completely garbage world worlding.

Yeah but it was obvious that SAO will get them more money so that's where the budget went.

The last episode for season 1 of Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works is confirmed to be an hour long.

The second season is gonna have a lot of anime original material for sure.

I'm guessing there will more screen time for the characters from F/Z that don't get much time in UBW. I think I can guess roughly where the mid-season finale will be so yeah, no way all that stuff takes 12 full episodes. More time to see the shitty direction, woo.

Midonin

Chocotto Sister Advent Calendar Day 12

The show's first half comes to a close, and with it, this long-running romantic story. Haruma reading the diary was a nice way to finally solidify their relationship (especially after the outburst he had in the middle.) I feel like the romance arc took up a bit much of the show's runtime, yet I can't fault the show for treating its romance with some degree of heaviness either. If anything, it's more that Choco herself didn't have much to do during it, having no stake in the romance beyond acting as an impartial observer. The second half of the show looks more her-centric. I also notice this is a rare case where the manga version and the anime version were written by the same person, Gou Zappa.

He's the same person who wrote all of the Koihime Musou anime, and is going to be heading Milky Holmes TD in the upcoming season. So if there's anyone who would know which aspects of the original work to emphasize, it'd be the guy who created these characters in the first place.

Puruzi

Banned
I watched the first episode of Yozakura Quartet and while I liked it, it felt like the show wanted me to know the cast already. Is there a prerequisite thing I need to watch or is that just how it is?

Tokyo Ghoul Magazine Pic

FUh1bIe.jpg

Kaneki getting ready, but dat look though.

Anyways I need to catch up on Parasyte, Bahamut, and 7 Deadly Sins.

Midonin

Fairy Tail 212

I think the new Aries has some character overlap with Edolas Natsu. I know there's going to be a bigger baddie waiting in the wings once all these battles are done with. Virgo's punishment has quickly turned into the weirdest gravure video ever.

Quasar

I watched the first episode of Yozakura Quartet and while I liked it, it felt like the show wanted me to know the cast already. Is there a prerequisite thing I need to watch or is that just how it is?

There was a previous series by the same people (a 3 part OVA I think) which adapted an earlier part of the manga. I don't know if its necessary though.

Parastye 11

The leads kissed... in an anime... during the series? Who are you and what have you done with my Japanese anime? A parasite must have taken!

Midonin

There was a previous series by the same people (a 3 part OVA I think) which adapted an earlier part of the manga. I don't know if its necessary though.
That OVA actually occurs in the middle of the series. I forget exactly which episode, but I know the OP recapped it. I think it was between episode 8 and 9 or 7 and 8. I forgot the exact number.

Syrinx

Code Geass R2 23

He's depending on Nina to make this plan work? Lol. Watch it work, too.

Nunnally is so gonna get wasted as soon as Schneizel deals with Lelouch. That card has been played.

Yes Lelouch, the Black Knights are quite a formidable foe. I'd have thought you'd known that since...yeah.

Now when you said it it's actually pretty damn rare to see leads kissing in middle of anime series. Oh Japan.

It's rare to see them kiss period outside of a comedic moment where they accidentally kiss, and those rare kisses are normally during the finale. Thinking back on the last several series I've watched the only series to have any kind of confirmed relationship is SAO and I don't think we ever actually see Kirito and Asuna kiss... they have sex off screen but that's it.

Yona of the Dawn 10

I like Ki-Ja and I really enjoy his rivalry scenes with Hak which normally make me groan but it worked in this series. Pacing still feels a bit slow for a 24 episode anime but feels appropriate if they plan to keep this series going in the future with multiple seasons. We're 10 episodes in and we've only had 1 of the 4 dragons join the main team. At this rate we'll probably get all 4 to join the crew in the finale of season 1. I don't mind a slow building pace in an adventure series but I feel we could afford a bit more action scenes to break up the great deal of character back stories and set up.

amrod

I currently sub to crunchy roll, but see funimation is having a sale if you sign up for a year. Does anyone use funimation? How's the quality? Is it any better then what's on hulu plus ( the streams are low quality, blocky even for plus members )

Link Man

Banned
I currently sub to crunchy roll, but see funimation is having a sale if you sign up for a year. Does anyone use funimation? How's the quality? Is it any better then what's on hulu plus ( the streams are low quality, blocky even for plus members )

It's better than Hulu, by virtue of having no ads and actually being HD. I'd suggest looking throught their back catalog to see if the selection warrants your subscription, but it is less than $5 a month.

Seriously though if I had to say what was the best series out of the entire Yu-Gi-Oh franchise it would be 5ds. That show was sick and really entertaining.

Yeah, everyone immediately laughed at the series for the whole "CARD GAMES ON MOTORCYCLES" but once you accept that as a thing everyone discovered that 5Ds had the best story and characters of any YGO series.

Syrinx

Code Geass R2 24

Okay, that was contrived when he did it the first time in season 1, but this time it was even more flagrant. How long did that conversation last? That's not even giving 1/13 of a fuck right there.

Uhh...
It's a miracle....I guess...Yay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom