• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 |OT2| Idly waiting for the Dog Days of Sabre

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amagi - 11

Good to see them going out of their way and trying different ideas. At first I though Kanye was going to use Geass on the businessmen, but then I remember he got that mind reading thing in the beginning of the show.
The showcase of everyone working hard to prepare and during crunch was a nice touch.
sDgJYIe.jpg

Jex

I have pending to watch Princess Kaguya, but instead of that, I used the evening to watch a little movie called Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind!

No, I didn't watch it before.
But it's hard to judge it for me as I read the manga and in fact it's in my Top 5, just a pure classic.
Obviously given length limitations in a film is an adaptation, taking mainly the story from the first part of the manga and also making their own ending. No surprises here, it's the correct choice, to make a standalone product that can stand at its own. I also love the Akira film a lot together the comic.

But though the material is overall good I'm not sure if this adaptation is as good as it could be. Following the same comparison, which I think it's appropriate as both are epic scifi action/adeventure/drama from 80s, I think Akira did its film better than Nausicaa did it.
The mystery of the Fukui forest is discovered but isn't well integrated in the rest of the script, it seems put there because it was an important reveal in the manga and is central to the general ecologic theme. It limits the political/military warfare to Tolmekia, Pejite and mainly the Valley itself, again understandable because there is no way to put half of all that happens in the manga, but I don't think they did a great job in the war side, it felt underwhelming, it's just Tolmekia getting the God Warrior, the Valley people rebelling when they see a chance, then the sea of Ohms courtesy of Pejite comes and stop everything. Because the film tries to ease the viewer in this alien Earth, giving also time to Nausicaa character to develop and to the adventure in the mid part of the film, it didn't really had time to develop more the war side of the plot. The God Warrior gets to make a guest appearance shooting twice and then dying wohoo.
Now, there's nothing wrong with you reaction to the movie and I won't try and change your mind on it, but there's still a couple of things I need to point out.

Firstly, I don't it's ever a good idea to score any anime adapted from a manga (or any adaptation in any medium) against the criteria of how successfully it replicates the source material. I understand this stance doesn't sit well with fans of the source material (especially 'purists'), but it really shouldn't have any bearing on how you view the work. It should be judged purely on successful it is on it's own merits. Now, I know that saying this doesn't have much bearing on reality because when I'm watching an adaptation from source material that I have experience with I can't help but notice all the changes. Still, I believe it's a critical dead-end and barely worth mentioning, unless those changes make the story worse in some quantifiable manner.

Secondly, it's not like Nausicaa is an adaptation of the 7 volume manga. The movie Nausicaa was actually created while Miyazaki was still working on the manga. To be precise, two volumes had been completed, so the movie basically gets to where the manga was at that time. Remember, the manga didn't end till 1994, while the movie was released in 1984. It's not like Miyazaki decided to make an adaptation of the first part of his manga and release it as a movie, instead he just made a movie based on all the manga that existed at the time. You seem to suggest that he made decisions to job and change and cut out elements of the story when that's not quite the case here.

Finally, while I would agree that the manga is far richer and more complex than the movie, I also feel it's far sloppier and weaker as an overall story. I don't think Miyazaki excels at telling long-form narratives.

Confession time: I've never watched Castle of Cagliostoro. I probably should, but the fact it's based off characters from a long-running series that I've maybe collectively seen a total of 10 episodes all together has always made me delay it. I understand it's stand-alone and enjoyable even without the knowledge of the show, just need to get my lazy ass to watch it

Clov

Confession time: I've never watched Castle of Cagliostoro. I probably should, but the fact it's based off characters from a long-running series that I've maybe collectively seen a total of 10 episodes all together has always made me delay it. I understand it's stand-alone and enjoyable even without the knowledge of the show, just need to get my lazy ass to watch it

You should, it's a really fun movie. Very well made, one of Miyazaki's best. I'm sure there's some people who would argue that it is his best, actually. Personally it's my third favorite by him.

How's that Bamboo princess movie by studio ghibli?

It's pretty great. Might be my favorite Takahata movie.

Jex

Go. Watch it. Right now.

What are you waiting for? GO!

Jex

Better than getting that Miyazaki boxset that just came out?

For most people definitely not. You can get 11 movies in that collection for the same price as 5 of the original JP BD's. However, it's a widely discussed fact that the UK transfers of the movies on BD are the worst of any region, substantially worse than the Japanese originals and even worse than the US versions.

This wont mater to most consumers, of course, and I imagine many people won't even notice. I'm purely buying these for collection purposes so I'm going to go for the best versions. In general, there's no reason not to get the substantially cheaper UK releases.

Terra Formars - 12

Eh, perhaps one of the weaker episodes of the season. I wasn't feeling this one at all.
No good fights, exploring of the pyramids was a disappointment and hellfire digletts out of nowhere. Though I guess it's a setup for a grand finale next week.

Now, there's nothing wrong with you reaction to the movie and I won't try and change your mind on it, but there's still a couple of things I need to point out.

Firstly, I don't it's ever a good idea to score any anime adapted from a manga (or any adaptation in any medium) against the criteria of how successfully it replicates the source material. I understand this stance doesn't sit well with fans of the source material (especially 'purists'), but it really shouldn't have any bearing on how you view the work. It should be judged purely on successful it is on it's own merits.

Oh, I agree. I think judging on its own merits, it's a lesser work from Miyazaki(*), as he still hadn't matured as director and writer.
(*) "lesser work from Miyazaki" can still be a fine work from a normal director.

Finally, while I would agree that the manga is far richer and more complex than the movie, I also feel it's far sloppier and weaker as an overall story. I don't think Miyazaki excels at telling long-form narratives.

I think it's my favorite Miyazaki work over his films (though barely).

Jex

I've just watched the last few Animator Expo shorts and it's pretty clear that this whole exercise was just an excuse to create smut! For shame, Japan.

This question might come across as random but are there any anime other than Mobile Suit Gundam 00 that have a middle eastern main character? I thought it was interesting at the time so I'm just wondering if there are any others.

This question might come across as random but are there any anime other than Mobile Suit Gundam 00 that have a middle eastern main character? I thought it was interesting at the time so I'm just wondering if there are any others.

I don't think so. Most of the Gundam Protag's are either Japanese (Kira Yamato), North American (Garrod Ran) or a combination of the two (Amuro Ray) I think Setsuna's one of the only main protagonists that isn't in one of those 3 catagories, let alone Middle Eastern.

Ef - A Tale of Melodies 04

Not sure if it's a threat or a warning :p

Now all the important characters from the first show has been in this one too and all 4 of the characters in the past has also been shown in the present. But there's people both in Japan and Australia? I guess that explains why certain characters never interacted in the first show... Love triangles seems to be building everywhere as well.

Jex

Not to my (admitedly limited) knowledge. Most anime is set in:

- Japan

or

- A fictional land

so you don't often see those kinds of leads.

Kikirin

It seems to be relatively rare. Off the top of my head, I can only think of Full Metal Panic! as another series with a middle eastern main character.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
For most people definitely not. You can get 11 movies in that collection for the same price as 5 of the original JP BD's. However, it's a widely discussed fact that the UK transfers of the movies on BD are the worst of any region, substantially worse than the Japanese originals and even worse than the US versions.

This wont mater to most consumers, of course, and I imagine many people won't even notice. I'm purely buying these for collection purposes so I'm going to go for the best versions. In general, there's no reason not to get the substantially cheaper UK releases.
Well hearing that has certainly put a dent in wanting to buy the set. Don't really want to spend that much money on a subpar product.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

Canaan

can't think of anything else at the moment. I want to say Muhammad Avdol, but he's more of a supporting character.

Jex

[G-Reco] - 12

The Tomino-y of Tomino-y episodes. Well, except that it lacked any animal-reaction shots.

cajunator

Banned
Dog Days S2 1-3

LzGZExl.gif

Nanami is a better hero than Cinque and Squirrel tails are the best kind of tails around. If you disagree with me on either one of those points you clearly haven't been watching the show.

Hnnnnnnnnnng
Oh god why didnt these shows get licensed here?
I know I can import them and such but its a pain in the ass and I get enough shipping issues as it is.

Please note that the Rozen Maiden complete collection does include the Ouverture episodes. No need to purchase something twice, even at a bargain price.

The red velvet artbox that originally came with Rozen Maiden is a thing of beauty. If you can find it I recommend it. It didnt seem too rare either.

2 Bedroom w/ Living, Dining, Kitchen

http://animatorexpo.com/nishiogikubo/ (Warning: NSFW, Contains non-sexual nudity)

Whoa that was really fucking good. Probably the best short yet in terms of pure animation. The story is pretty simple - a woman wakes up to find herself shrunk in her apartment, tries to communicate with her boyfriend who sees her as a cockroach, hilarious chase ensures with amazing loose animation from some of Japan's best animators.

Is this a Gokicha parody? Is it about her insecurities of not being noticed? Do they have a cockroach infestation in the apartment? Who cares, it's funny, energetic, and looks awesome! The Shinya Ohira sequence near the end was soooooooo good. I'm glad Khara is putting more creativity and effort into these shorts than they did in Eva 3.0! :p

Directors: Mahiro Maeda, Takeshi Honda
Character Design/Plot: Takeshi Honda
Storyboard: Mahiro Maeda
Animators: Masashi Ando, Toshiyuki Inoue, Shinya Ohira, Hiroyuki Okiura, Shinji Hashimoto, Takeshi Honda, Akira Homma, Mahiro Maeda, Maho Takagi, Sayaka Yamai

Gokicha is really the only thing this COULD be parodying. But thats a good thing because its adorable.

Teaser for Hosoda's next film, "The Boy and the Beast": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGJivemaHuM

sogood.
Hosoda I trust in you.

Shin Sekai Yori 21

tumblr_lyz7lvziim1qjtvrftv.gif

0e32ydff.png

So this episode has provided the big reveal I've bee dreading and suffice it to say, I did not see that coming. Completely convinced it was Maria, I needed a few good seconds to comprehend what was transpiring in front of me. It was literally as if someone has turned on a light bulb inside my brain. Mamoru and Maria disappearing together, the length of the time skip or the way Cantus user seemed to totally obey the Queerats - all the pieces of puzzle were there, I just didn't manage to piece them together until it was too late. And call me a monster but I think I prefer this scenario to the one where Maria had to live without a limb, jaw, (judging by the remains that were found.) being controlled in sort of the same way Squealer controls the queens and of course where Saki would have to meet and deal with her. I suppose she could still be alive, given the pregnancy, she needed to be for quite a while after her departure but we will see.

One thing I'm confused about was the way Shissei met his demise. I thought it was Karma Demons who were supposed to leak Cantus subconsciously ? This girl doesn't even seem to be a Fiend but just a brainwashed child without death feedback built in. Otherwise I don't see how Queetats would survive in her vicinity.

The sleazy weasel, also known as Squealer, conducted this war with great skill so far but a 10 year wait for another generation of Slave cantus users to grow up seems like a fatal flaw in his plans. In such time humans would be able to scourge the entirety of Japan islands from top to bottom and wipe Queerats of the face of earth.

The renewed focus on kids reminded me that they don't seem to ever have explained whatever happens to those who don't graduate from Harmony school. Do they get killed off too even if they didn't manifest the Cantus abilities ? There has been a dearth of info on the scientists and the "hunters" mentioned in episode 4 so I imagine I still have some major surprises coming my way.

Show has been firing on all cylinders for 4 episodes now. Great stuff.

In my opinion this realization was even more horrific, butthere are a few more things that will be explained soon. This show does a very good job of throwing a ton of questions at you and then resolving all of them one by one and I think youll be satisfied overall. They really kept it all together and cohesive.

Mikagura Gakuen Kumikyoku TV anime

Director: Tarou Iwasaki http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=42864
Screenplay, Series Configuration: Masahiro Yokotani http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=32136
Character design, Chief AD: Manamu Amazaki http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=63378
Animation production: Dogakobo http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/company.php?id=228

http://mikagura-gakuen.com/

Added: Absolute Duo promo (animated just at the start, don't let the 1 min runtime fool you) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyroYSee6fw Here's the clean visual for a reminder

That first one looks relevant to my interests. the second looks bland and generic, but it does have a yandere character from the looks of it so Ill keep my eye on it.

Wixoss 11
I'm a little confused as to why Yuki is starting to disappear, especially at that moment. Felt like a bit of a forced for the suffering. the other parts make general sense.
It wasn't too much of a surprise that Mayu was already dead. The other parts felt like the standard suffering for the series. Hanayo feeling like she betrayed Yuzuki just kind of felt stupid to bring her back into this suffering

Mature

What's a better troll gift for my buddy: Mars of Destruction or Garzey's Wing?
I didn't know Mars of Destruction was a thing you could buy.

I've just watched the last few Animator Expo shorts and it's pretty clear that this whole exercise was just an excuse to create smut! For shame, Japan.
I would say that it might speak to the repressed nature of the medium, but then I remembered that most anime is smut.

Quasar

Agent Carter
Agents of SHIELD S2 Part 2
Daredevil
AKA Jessica Jones
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Ant-Man

Eww...superheroes, and worse live action ones.

Not sure I'm hyped for any media next year specifically. Curious to see how the MTV version of Shanara turns out. Curious about Jupiter Ascending and Ex Machina. For anime I don't really know that far ahead to be aware. Maybe the new project from the Anohana team. The Tamayura movie. Also curious to see what kind of trainwreck the Prison School anime is.

In my opinion this realization was even more horrific, butthere are a few more things that will be explained soon. This show does a very good job of throwing a ton of questions at you and then resolving all of them one by one and I think youll be satisfied overall. They really kept it all together and cohesive.

Thinking about what happened to Mamoru and Maria was always very unpleasant for me. The uneasy and oppressive atmosphere combined with the lack of information about their whereabouts, that is other than the bone pieces that were found and identified, meant my mind conjured up some nasty scenarios.

cajunator

Banned
Damn I wanna read all these spoilers. Must stay strong, Train.

Dont read spoilers! in fact, log off now and go watch the rest if you can. Dont spoil anything about SSY for yourself. Its such a great story.

Wait. What do you mean season 1? Is it not going straight into winter? Fuck this show then. I hope Rin falls on her dinky little dagger and dies.

This is how Fate Zero was also but it isnt a big deal. This needs to be done to give them time to complete the series and not rush it and destroy everything. Animators are way overworked and quality suffers tremendously if they dont have some break in the schedule to work on the rest. This is a good thing.

Friendly remind to pick up Humanity Has Declined while it's still discounted.

YES THIS

Read or Die the TV 18-20

It's the paper airplane from the OVA! Yomiko's still got it, and makes a surprisingly fun pair with Anita as a pair of Paper Master buddy cops.
For as long as it lasted, anyway. I always did think it odd that Anita had the most Anglosphere-esque last name of the three sisters, but there's so much of her backstory that she just cast aside to the flames, and her relationship with Yomiko isn't in good standing either. After all she went through, it's understandable, but this show has just been a never-ending series of "it keeps getting worse" since the Hong Kong incident. There's still hope, sure, but the tension is ratcheting up.

Now you are in the thick of it and
with the OVA characters now reintroduced
youll see some real shit go down. Its not as clean as the OVA, but its decent. Some of the ending was a bit of an asspull but this show is so crazy sometimes thats ok. I really overall enjoyed the whole paper manipulation powers thing. It was a fresh idea and really well executed throughout. ROD TV has a very epic feel to it and is just highly enjoyable to watch. Im honestly shocked that it isnt a more popular series.

So, need some opinions concerning the RightStuf Sale. Looking to push my order over $50 for free shipping, and I'm stuck between Hellsing (the original) and Haibane Renmei.

Allow me to add clarity to your decision.
Haibane RenmeiHaibane RenmeiHaibane RenmeiHaibane RenmeiHaibane RenmeiHaibane RenmeiHaibane RenmeiHaibane RenmeiHaibane RenmeiHaibane RenmeiHaibane RenmeiHaibane RenmeiHaibane RenmeiHaibane RenmeiHaibane RenmeiHaibane RenmeiHaibane RenmeiHaibane RenmeiHaibane RenmeiHaibane RenmeiHaibane RenmeiHaibane RenmeiHaibane RenmeiHaibane RenmeiHaibane Renmei

Shin Sekai Yori 23

That's quite a cliffhanger to leave things on.
With Shun showing up (You really couldn't drop that Holy Barrier truth bomb 13 episodes earlier ?) and the Cantus leakage issue emerging once again
, my prediction
about Queerats being former humans
may yet come true. Would be the first.

2 episodes seem like an awfully short time to resolve the story and answer all the remaining question. Will try to finish this today.

As for the winter, my picks are: Tokyo Ghoul (no way in hell i'm typing that stupid subtitle, Durarara !! x2. Will try Death Parade, at least a few episodes of Aldnoah for futher lols and perhaps Jojo, if it manages to free itself from the monster of the week stuff.

Trust me it does resolve, and pretty satisfactory, but the truth is pretty ugly.

I have pending to watch Princess Kaguya, but instead of that, I used the evening to watch a little movie called Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind!

No, I didn't watch it before.
But it's hard to judge it for me as I read the manga and in fact it's in my Top 5, just a pure classic.
Obviously given length limitations in a film is an adaptation, taking mainly the story from the first part of the manga and also making their own ending. No surprises here, it's the correct choice, to make a standalone product that can stand at its own. I also love the Akira film a lot together the comic.

But though the material is overall good I'm not sure if this adaptation is as good as it could be. Following the same comparison, which I think it's appropriate as both are epic scifi action/adeventure/drama from 80s, I think Akira did its film better than Nausicaa did it.
The mystery of the Fukui forest is discovered but isn't well integrated in the rest of the script, it seems put there because it was an important reveal in the manga and is central to the general ecologic theme. It limits the political/military warfare to Tolmekia, Pejite and mainly the Valley itself, again understandable because there is no way to put half of all that happens in the manga, but I don't think they did a great job in the war side, it felt underwhelming, it's just Tolmekia getting the God Warrior, the Valley people rebelling when they see a chance, then the sea of Ohms courtesy of Pejite comes and stop everything. Because the film tries to ease the viewer in this alien Earth, giving also time to Nausicaa character to develop and to the adventure in the mid part of the film, it didn't really had time to develop more the war side of the plot. The God Warrior gets to make a guest appearance shooting twice and then dying wohoo.

That said I had one of those blue, sentimental days, and I actually dropped a tear when Nausicaa "died" and then was revived by the Ohms.

Nausicaa was a great movie with some of Miyazaki's long standing themes and idea, and it really gave direction to his future movies, but it was more of a prototype for Princess Mononoke, which was the fully realized vision of his ideas. I still think Mononoke is his best, but Nausicaa definitely laid the groundwork for it.

Link Man

Banned
Nausicaa was a great movie with some of Miyazaki's long standing themes and idea, and it really gave direction to his future movies, but it was more of a prototype for Princess Mononoke, which was the fully realized vision of his ideas. I still think Mononoke is his best, but Nausicaa definitely laid the groundwork for it.

Nausicaa does have some really nice otherworldly imagery, though. And chocobos.

Reading up some more about Shinsekai Yori I'm once again amazed by just how well thought out and conclusive its world is. If it wasn't for the occasional poor animations due to an obviously low budget, this would deserve to be at the very top of my anime and film/series list overall. It's still up about there, but man, if only this would've gotten the big budget instead of SAO :/ Which happens to have completely garbage world worlding.

TERRAFORMARS Episode 12 – Shooting Star On Track and Reckless

Great episode, Marcos and Alex moment was the highlight of the episode. That whole scene was intense and hilarious.

And the anime is so much better when its bright out there.

Ef - A Tale of Melodies 05

Heh. This is getting strange.

And the characters I mentioned in the episode 4 impressions finally met. The mood from the first show was back when those characters were on screen in this episode as well.

Reading up some more about Shinsekai Yori I'm once again amazed by just how well thought out and conclusive its world is. If it wasn't for the occasional poor animations due to an obviously low budget, this would deserve to be at the very top of my anime and film/series list overall. It's still up about there, but man, if only this would've gotten the big budget instead of SAO :/ Which happens to have completely garbage world worlding.

Have you watched the BD version? I believe they polished up much of the weaker art/animation in them - again showing that time is more the limiting factor on anime productions than "budget".

Curious to what anime people here are most hyped for next year.
I'm most hyped for Shokugeki no Soma and Rolling Girls.

Death Parade
Shokugeki no Soma
Prison School
That lesbian bear thing
More of JoJo
The new Yatterman thing
The new Lupin thing
I think theres some cool mech series coming (not aldnoah)

Agent Carter
Agents of SHIELD S2 Part 2
Daredevil
AKA Jessica Jones
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Ant-Man

duckroll
Marvel's Nekomimi slave

Have you watched the BD version? I believe they polished up much of the weaker art/animation in them - again showing that time is more the limiting factor on anime productions than "budget".

No I haven't done that yet, but I'll surely do so in the near future.

As far as time/budget goes, that's of course kinda true. But to some degree you can interchange time and budget as a higher budget can mean adding additional employees to the project, or better talent and so on and so forth. When I watch the BD version I'm gonna be really looking forward to ep06 (I think) which had the ugliest damn bolder physics I've seen yet.

Ef - A Tale of Melodies 05

Heh. This is getting strange.

And the characters I mentioned in the episode 4 impressions finally met. The mood from the first show was back when those characters were on screen in this episode as well.

I thought Memories was pretty decent, but man o man, Melodies was hot garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom