• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 |OT2| Idly waiting for the Dog Days of Sabre

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, everyone immediately laughed at the series for the whole "CARD GAMES ON MOTORCYCLES" but once you accept that as a thing everyone discovered that 5Ds had the best story and characters of any YGO series.

I wish they would make a Yu-Gi-Oh series as good as 5ds again. Maybe one day it will happen.

Shit I don't know why but I'm really itching to rewatch 5ds again.

Full Metal Panic! Fumoffu - 2

This entire show is freaking hilarious and it's only the second episode. Every other scene in the first half was a joke or gag of some kind and I loved every second of it.

A7M8wLu.png

Hello, and welcome to Standing Up School.
8z9aPTv.png

And, you fail!

VRMN

Full Metal Panic! Fumoffu - 2

This entire show is freaking hilarious and it's only the second episode. Every other scene in the first half was a joke or gag of some kind and I loved every second of it.

I'm jealous that you get to watch this for the first time. It's so goddamned good.

Midonin

PriPara 24

We just got Aikatsu'd.

Lala is like Ichigo, in that her mother was a former idol at her place of study. Only instead of being a superstar, her mom was friends with Gloria (called "Sugar"), and left her waiting for some time, breaking a promise. (Was it because she was dating Lala's dad? Likely.) All this stuff has been foreshadowed for some time, but knowing what's coming can provide the same emotional release as not knowing what's coming.
This is something the franchise has done before - Ito's parents and her musical history, in particular, were a major, major part of Rainbow Live.

Another thing I took from this is that, in-universe, PriPara has been around for at least 20 years, changing according to idol trends, with the same staff of Meganees coordinating it and apparently not violating some sort of human cloning code. I liked the little detail that the idols back in the... I want to say 80s, though it could easily be early 90s, had to use scissors to manually cut their tickets. Perforated technology didn't come until later, it looks like.

The show's taken quite the turn here. The style of introducing some drama into the show while keeping the tone and humor consistent. Like Sophie riding in on a goat because she was too tired to move otherwise.

Chaika AB 10

Fuck you Bones, another series to rot in the "great up until X then stop watching and go read the manga/LN" pile thanks to their inability to write any kind of satisfactory ending.

Accel World - 2

Another good episode. Nice to see that Haru was able to come up with a solution on his own without being entirely dependent on anyone.

My one hope for this show is for him and Kuroyukihime to become a Sei and Reiji-esque team of awesome hotblooded fighters. That probably won't be the case though, judging from what Haru said and how he acted in his fight against the biker in this episode.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders 1-24

I'd only seen about half this series, so I figured I'd give it a rewatch and it's still a ton of fun, with hilarious characters and entertaining (if stupid and sometimes nonsensical) solutions. The pacing is great compared to most shonen, but I found myself liking the two-parters a bit less since they didn't move as quickly, with The Emperor/The Hanged Man and Death 13 being the only exceptions (and even then, Death 13 could probably have made it to a single episode).

Heroman - 2

Man, I'm liking this show a lot already. The plot is so barebones in terms of how comic-booky it feels that for an anime, it almost feels refreshing.

I like how earnest Joey is. It's a breath of fresh air from many other anime protagonists that are either whiny or your average clueless LN protagonist. And he and Heroman just get right down to the job, no questions asked.

I like how silly the designs of the aliens are. I mean, they're alien cockroaches people. This show is pure anime comic book silliness. It's awesome.

fKe8Bj9.png

WILL JOEY AND HEROMAN BE ABLE TO STOP THE ALIEN COCKROACH MENACE AND SAVE THE WORLD? FIND OUT NEXT TIME ON THE NEXT EPISODE OF HEROMAN!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I wish they would make a Yu-Gi-Oh series as good as 5ds again. Maybe one day it will happen.

Shit I don't know why but I'm really itching to rewatch 5ds again.

5D's was legit. I've always meant to go back and watch everything after the Earthbound Gods arc because a younger me ragequit the show when
Carly was killed off. TWICE. And then revived as a meaningless tertiary character

dakkumauji's hilarious hatewatch of ZeXal ensured that I'll probably never watch anything after 5D's. Shining Draws apparently took the show to levels of bullshit deus ex machina that I couldn't have even conceived of even in a franchise that routinely relies on them. I tried to watch a little bit of Arc-V but the new mechanic of going on scavenger hunts for counter-spell/trap cards hidden around a virtual playfield was really terrible.

Rainy

Banned
I just finished watching fate/zero and holy shit I loved it.

The anime airing right now is the sequel to it correct? is it good or shitty.

Veitsev

For anyone with experience with Right Stuf..

Is it normal for my order to not show up in order status on my account? Its been about 24 hours or so and I got an email confirmation but its kind of weird that nothing is showing up. Also kind of weird that my order number in my email (even though the order is correct) doesn't match the number when I got the order number right after ordering.

Is it normal for my order to not show up in order status on my account? Its been about 24 hours or so and I got an email confirmation but its kind of weird that nothing is showing up. Also kind of weird that my order number in my email (even though the order is correct) doesn't match the number when I got the order number right after ordering.

It sometimes takes up to 48 hours before the order shows up. It should be up by tomorrow and if not call RightStuf directly to ask what's happening.

I thought that was weird too, especially since it said the last time my order page updated was a few hours before I even made my account.

Thx. Figured it was something like that. Sure they are getting hammered right now.

Yeah I'm expecting my soon-to-be-ordered package to come after Christmas just becuase f the amount of orders they have to make. I'll just be happy if doesn't get lost in the shuffles.

Thoraxes

Their site only updates once a day around 4AM CST. Don't rely on the site unless you like playing the waiting game. E-mail confirmations and bank account checking works much better. If you see money taken out of your bank account from them, rest assured your item has definitely shipped.

The order number usually has different numbers on the end of them to distinguish the way their warehouse processes the orders, so unless it's 100% different, you have nothing to worry about.

IF you do have an issue after all of that, call them up or e-mail. Their CS department is really nice and friendly.

My Kill la Kill Volume 3 just shipped on Tuesday from them, which is nuts lol. I saw the money taken out then, but didn't get my e-mail confirmation until Thursday.

Gonna drop a bunch of money on them next week when I get paid. I got shows to pick up!

Who says there isn't 13 days of Christmas!? Certainly not RightStuf! Here are the (final) list of notables:

Akira 25th anniversary: $14
Ghost Slayers Ayashi: $20 (Bandai OOP)
Gintama: $10 each, $38 for the bundle
Golgo 13: $45.50 for the BD, $35 for the DVD
Infinite Ryvius: $20 (Bandai OOP)
Jormungand: $26 each
Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine: $26
Maria-Holic and Maria-Holic Alive: $28 for the BD, $24 for the DVD
Sailor Moon BD set 1: $50 (Dat ghosting)
Spice and Wolf complete series: $22
Time of Eve: The Movie + CD: $26.22

And that's all folks. Now too make my list.

Thoraxes

Who says there isn't 13 days of Christmas!? Certainly not RightStuf! Here are the (final) list of notables:

Fuck yeah.

Those two were on my list of hopefuls.

Link Man

Banned

Still got daily Mega Deals to look forward to.

And with the last day of sales, I picked up Gintama the Movie, Trigun, and Spice and Wolf.

There. That's nearly 400 dollars spent overall.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I guess I should probably conclude my own WIXOSS journey soon, too. My heart's not exactly in writing comic outrage posts anymore, but I owe it to everybody to finish what I started.

Syrinx

I guess I should probably conclude my own WIXOSS journey soon, too. My heart's not exactly in writing comic outrage posts anymore, but I owe it to everybody to finish what I started.
Eh. Corvo already did. I loved your impressions but you shouldn't force yourself if you really don't want to.

I liked 5D because it was more or less Akira for kids.

This here, I really loved the atmosphere so good.

5D's was legit. I've always meant to go back and watch everything after the Earthbound Gods arc because a younger me ragequit the show when
Carly was killed off. TWICE. And then revived as a meaningless tertiary character

dakkumauji's hilarious hatewatch of ZeXal ensured that I'll probably never watch anything after 5D's. Shining Draws apparently took the show to levels of bullshit deus ex machina that I couldn't have even conceived of even in a franchise that routinely relies on them. I tried to watch a little bit of Arc-V but the new mechanic of going on scavenger hunts for counter-spell/trap cards hidden around a virtual playfield was really terrible.

It's really sad that they haven't been able to replicate something as good as 5ds or at least something that's favorable. I mean what makes 5ds great is it's atmosphere, world building, and it's characters. I mean Yusei was actually a really great protagonist and it doesn't hurt that most of the characters were older which I think kept it enduring.

I also find it weird lately that the newer series of YGO seems to keep this weird cartoonish style. Like the fairly grounded design style of the original YGO,5ds, and even GX which I love has vanished.

Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere 04-05

The reveal and execution of Mikawa's plot really stands out against the lighthearted antics of the main cast and the previous episodes. Scenery is darker, music is more intense, and the ED changes to match the tone. I have to say though, the fights in this were fun to watch again, especially between the robot maid and the mecha God of War. Plot twists and revelations galore as well. These episodes are definitely where the main story and conflict finally pick up, at least. I can see the logic with having to build up the characters and the world in the previous episodes and, while I feel it pays off, really did take quite a while to get to the meat of the story.

http://a.pomf.se/qxcddd.webm

cajunator

Banned
Shin Sekai Yori - 05

In today's episode, Satoru tackles Saki like a bajillion times. I think there literally might have been 5 times.

Dont worry the story is kicking into gear. Keep watching as much as possible.

Glad you liked it, but how about that Cat Soup?

Hey now. I liked Future Diary ;P

Cat soup is when I truly understood how bizarre anime can get.
i actually understand what was going on overall but its purposefully abstract and random.

I currently sub to crunchy roll, but see funimation is having a sale if you sign up for a year. Does anyone use funimation? How's the quality? Is it any better then what's on hulu plus ( the streams are low quality, blocky even for plus members )

Funi's stream quality really sucks but they dont offer enough content to justify a subscription.

Quasar

Wonder what they are like with foreign shipping. Time of Eve would be nice to get.

wonzo

Banned
Ping Pong 1-11 END

pingpong11.jpg

I've drawn a blank staring at this text box for what feels like half an hour so fuck it, this is the greatest TV anime ever made and everyone owes themselves to watch it from beginning to end. Don't, and you'll never know what blood tastes like.

e: i loved the manga so much and to watch this and see the changes yuasa made to it and how they all coalesce into the final episode brought tears to my eyes. it's beautiful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom