• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 |OT2| Idly waiting for the Dog Days of Sabre

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recommend me an anime please. I liked Evangelion and Death Note. Attack on Titan was sorta ok.

That's uh... wow. That's a pretty wide net in terms of taste. You at least seem to like anime with a darker tone to them. So watch the Berserk films. It's a dark fantasy, pretty mature, and arguably the best manga. In fact read the manga over watching the films or the show. But the movies are the second best option.

And yes the films over the old anime. Hurry. Before somebody who disagrees with me comes and tells you otherwise.

kewlmyc

God bless the UK and their cheaper prices.

xd2z4ya.jpg

Importing an UK Bluray Player was a great idea.

Taruranto

Alright, The Big O. Time to draw some conclusions.

The ending really sucked. Really one of the worst endings I ever seen. I'm not even sure there is some sense to found in it. I can't even describe it.

Apart from that, ignoring the 2 last awful episodes, it's really a solid show. I really grew to appreciate the setting and the characters through the series and I'll probably re-think of Dorothy and Roger fondly through the years.

S1 was probably the strongest one, the mystery of the setting is there, but it's not omnipresent like in S2.

Dorothy was probably my favorite character, definitely carried some episodes on her own, and the chemistry between her and Roger is fantastic. Angel was... I'm not really a fan of her. Especially considering the ending revelations. Just, ugh.

But really, the ending fucking sucked! Also tomatoes.

Tale of Princess Kaguya

Not a fan of this one.

I did enjoy the absolutely beautiful artstyle of the film, which captured the feel of ancient Japan really well. I also did like that Ghibli tried to do something different with Kaguya's character, portraying her as a tomboy who doesn't want to be bound by noble traditions. I also enjoyed how her parents were characterized, for lack of a better term, they felt accurate. Like, they felt like how real people would react to the events that occurred in the film.

I thought the way they adapted the part with the five suitors really well.

I felt that the romance was really tacked on and unnecessary however, especially towards the end where
Sutemaru tells Kaguya to run away from her troubles and with him despite being married to somewhere felt really cliched and cringeworthy
. I would have preferred if he remained just a childhood friend with no other bearing towards the plot.

I didn't like the final arc that well, along with the aforementioned bit with Sutemaru, the execution of the ending felt poor in my opinion.
I get that Ghibli is trying to go for a sad ending, but the absurdity of it just made me burst into laughter. To wit, the lunar emissaries (for lack of a better description) who are tasked with bringing Kaguya back play happy music while atop a cloud turn Kaguya into a moonwalking Zombie. I did slightly like the part where it is implied that she still retains some of her memory but it still felt a bit clichéd imo.

Was also slightly disappointed that they did not adapt the subplot with the elixir of immortality and Mt Fuji thing.

Overall, I didn't enjoy it.

Moonkid

Unlimited Blade Works

One of my favourite episodes so far, but from the preview it looks like things are coming to a halt once again. This pacing, goddamn!

amrod

So I ended up signing up for a funimation free trial account then cancelling it a couple hours later... Their android app is horrible it crashes lots and randomly. When you click a show all the episodes appear but with no ep #s beside them making it confusing in which order to watch them.

So besides Netflix & Crunchyroll (Both are great), Hulu Plus / Funimation (Both sucked)... Any other services worth checking out?

Branduil

Tale of Princess Kaguya

I didn't like the final arc that well, along with the aforementioned bit with Sutemaru, the execution of the ending felt poor in my opinion.
I get that Ghibli is trying to go for a sad ending, but the absurdity of it just made me burst into laughter. To wit, the lunar emissaries (for lack of a better description) who are tasked with bringing Kaguya back play happy music while atop a cloud turn Kaguya into a moonwalking Zombie. I did slightly like the part where it is implied that she still retains some of her memory but it still felt a bit clichéd imo.

Was also slightly disappointed that they did not adapt the subplot with the elixir of immortality and Mt Fuji thing.

You do realize that Ghibli didn't write the story, right?

Noragami - 06

Yukine is starting to get on my nerves. I care little for his whiny wimpy attitude, especially when it's also affecting Yato.
The first fight with Bishamon was too short, and the second was disturbed by Kofuku's hand fan of doom. Love that bad ass Daikoku transforms into a hand fan.
I expected more from Bisha since she's more or less a walking armory. But she seem dedicated to return. I'd rather she joined up with them instead of seeking revenge, but you can't have everything I suppose.

Quasar

Watched some OVAs/Christmas Specials.

Date a Live: Encore - Sad little story really. So there is a non awful Kurumi underneath it all.
If Her Flag Breaks OVA - Though sweet as always, it really is the kind of nightmare I guess I haven't seen in a harem anime. A harem Christmas party.

Clov

That's uh... wow. That's a pretty wide net in terms of taste. You at least seem to like anime with a darker tone to them. So watch the Berserk films. It's a dark fantasy, pretty mature, and arguably the best manga. In fact read the manga over watching the films or the show. But the movies are the second best option.

And yes the films over the old anime. Hurry. Before somebody who disagrees with me comes and tells you otherwise.

Can't let you do that, Admiral!

Before you rush off to watch the Berserk movies, you ought to know that they feature some terrible, terrible CG. It completely clashes with the traditionally animated parts. Very jarring.

The original 90s series is much better. While many people dislike how it concludes, it's a pretty interesting look at how Guts (the protagonist) becomes the person he is. It's dark, has great action scenes, and is overall a very interesting anime.

The TV anime over the movies, any day.

Before you rush off to watch the Berserk movies, you ought to know that they feature some terrible, terrible CG. It completely clashes with the traditionally animated parts. Very jarring.

The original 90s series is much better. While many people dislike how it concludes, it's a pretty interesting look at how Guts (the protagonist) becomes the person he is. It's dark, has great action scenes, and is overall a very interesting anime.

A7S4doo.gif

CLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOV

Noragami - 06

Yukine is starting to get on my nerves. I care little for his whiny wimpy attitude, especially when it's also affecting Yato.

In that case...enjoy. It only really gets worse and we don't even get any more background information that would explain why he's that upset compared to other regilias or how they're called. His character development is barely there and his whining will only intensify even when you'll expect it to be finally over.

edit:
Just started 'Ghost in the Shell Innocence' and was once again reminded that Production I.G. can put up some hella good looking CGI. Even if it's a film, I recall the CGI in Psycho-Pass S1 being far above S2 as well (well...everything kinda is but yeh).

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Sword Art Online 23

I didn't ask for scenes of someone reading a textbook in a classwoom. Read the title of the show. Sword. Art. Online. Three things and not a single one of them is on display. One, a textbook being read isn't a sword. Two, a classroom in the real world is not online. Three. There's no Kirito so it isn't art. This show is turning into a massive con.

No one wants an arc dedicated to Asuna. This is the Kirito show. We tune in to oogle at his manliness, not watch some teen angst and falling out with parent. "But muuuuuuuuuum" is not the kind of words I want to hear (or I should say read as this is the subtitles we're talking about) from this kind of show.

Go away Asuna. No one likes you. Come back Kirito.

Thoraxes

I was about to be mad at you for getting it from Amazon so early, but then I realized it's just the standard version you probably got somewhere else.

Go watch it!
TRSI apparently ships shit early.
I usually get my Sentai stuff from them over a month before release date. They're great. I think I got volume 1 of Log Horizon near the first week of October, and Hidamari S3 about the same time.

Also my Kill la Kill V3 shipped last Tuesday, two weeks early. It's great.

In that case...enjoy. It only really gets worse and we don't even get any more background information that would explain why he's that upset compared to other regilias or how they're called. His character development is barely there and his whining will only intensify even when you'll expect it to be finally over.

1PAtv5m.png

oh god damnit

Link Man

Banned
I usually get my Sentai stuff from them over a month before release date. They're great. I think I got volume 1 of Log Horizon near the first week of October, and Hidamari S3 about the same time.

Also my Kill la Kill V3 shipped last Tuesday, two weeks early. It's great.

Yeah, I got Non Non Biyori from them last Saturday. The official release is Jan. 6.

Theonik

Had a shipment in:

ghiblisqvk7a.png

Time to watch The Tale of the Princess Kaguya!
Welcome to the Club!

Pro tip for people looking to import, the yen is pretty damn low right now. Just saying!
Yeah lowerst it's been since 2008 I think. Get on it peeps.

So this is what envy feels like.
lol

How much in total? using Amazon?
Personal I wouldn't recommend amazon. They do about 5.1k per movie which is nice since they go for 6.8k each normally but they only do DHL starting at 3k a shipment adding 300 yen per extra movie.
For me the inconvenience of DHL and customs tariffs with private couriers makes me opt for CDJapan or similar.

Secondly, it's not like Nausicaa is an adaptation of the 7 volume manga. The movie Nausicaa was actually created while Miyazaki was still working on the manga. To be precise, two volumes had been completed, so the movie basically gets to where the manga was at that time. Remember, the manga didn't end till 1994, while the movie was released in 1984. It's not like Miyazaki decided to make an adaptation of the first part of his manga and release it as a movie, instead he just made a movie based on all the manga that existed at the time. You seem to suggest that he made decisions to job and change and cut out elements of the story when that's not quite the case here.

Finally, while I would agree that the manga is far richer and more complex than the movie, I also feel it's far sloppier and weaker as an overall story. I don't think Miyazaki excels at telling long-form narratives.
I wouldn't actually call Nausicaa an adaptation in the first place. Miyazaki was working on both simultaneously and both are fairly independent takes on the same story. Moreover, his approach for the manga was more of a thing he worked on the side for a long while until he finally decided to stop.

Confession time: I've never watched Castle of Cagliostoro. I probably should, but the fact it's based off characters from a long-running series that I've maybe collectively seen a total of 10 episodes all together has always made me delay it. I understand it's stand-alone and enjoyable even without the knowledge of the show, just need to get my lazy ass to watch it
Get your ass moving. Also you can just watch Lupin S1 for anything you need to know. At least the first few episodes are sufficient to get characters.

$60 + Shipping + customs (if applicable)

For most people definitely not. You can get 11 movies in that collection for the same price as 5 of the original JP BD's. However, it's a widely discussed fact that the UK transfers of the movies on BD are the worst of any region, substantially worse than the Japanese originals and even worse than the US versions.

This wont mater to most consumers, of course, and I imagine many people won't even notice. I'm purely buying these for collection purposes so I'm going to go for the best versions. In general, there's no reason not to get the substantially cheaper UK releases.
Canal actually made new better transfers since they picked the license I hear. Japanese is still the best though albeit pricier.

I've just watched the last few Animator Expo shorts and it's pretty clear that this whole exercise was just an excuse to create smut! For shame, Japan.
You need an excuse? What a weird concept.

Well hearing that has certainly put a dent in wanting to buy the set. Don't really want to spend that much money on a subpar product.
It really depends. Imo with current Yen exchange rates it's a better time than ever to start buying the JP releases. It's a fun collection too.

What's a better troll gift for my buddy: Mars of Destruction or Garzey's Wing?
Depends on the pitch. He'll have more fun with Garzey's. Garzey's DVD will make the better gift experience if you watch it with him and keep quiet till it starts. How good is your poker face?

Code Geass R2 25-End

Of course.
Keikaku.

Nice :3
Finally, little sister anime without incest!
Yet.

Looking forward to seeing more impressions/rewatches from the BD release of this.
Nobody cared when I was watching my BDs months ago!

"It's Funimation" would have sufficed. At some level if/when I get this it'll probably be in part for the better audio quality; there's only so much you can do with the visuals and I don't trust Funimation video quality in the best of circumstances.
If it's like the UK release, the video is quite bad though not as unacceptably appalling as the DVDs were. Even the Japanese release was a fairly naff transfer especially with them mastering it at 1080i (presumably they just used old HDTV/DVD scans)

lol ANN.

Huh. I'll take it.
RIP

I wouldn't say the TV series has great action scenes; it's barely animated. Between the two, it's more of a "pick your poison" type of deal. The movies are animated but with horrible CGI and the series isn't animated much at all.

(All that said I'd agree that the series is far better).

Clov

I wouldn't say the TV series has great action scenes; it's barely animated. Between the two, it's more of a "pick your poison" type of deal. The movies are animated but with horrible CGI and the series isn't animated much at all.

(All that said I'd agree that the series is far better).

Might just be the nostalgia speaking in my case. :p I remember enjoying the fights in the original more, but that might just be because most of the fights in the movies were done in CG.

I'll probably watch Castle of Cagliostoro tonight.

As to Berserk, the battles in this one aren't half bad, some are downright awesome. Like the 3rd movie's climax battles, and the 100 man fight.

edit: anybody know if the Hulu version of Cagliostoro is HD?

Beefeater

Banned
Recommend me an anime please. I liked Evangelion and Death Note. Attack on Titan was sorta ok.
We seem to have similar taste, though I haven't seen Eva yet. Code Geass is probably the closest thing to Death Note you can find, and it's very entertaining but aside from that:

Black Lagoon is a must watch. It contains some of the best 80's Hollywood-esque OTT action I've ever seen, combined with some of the most memorable, lovable, fucked up and just plain badass characters in anime. Outside the crazy action it's also surprisingly dark and somber, and shows a good amount of depth in its writing. Be aware it'll probably never end, though.

Also, I've just started watching Giant Robo - The Day the Earth Stood Still and it's blowing my mind in a similar way to the aforementioned show. If you're like me I think you'll know from episode 1 if this series is for you. It's stylish, action packed and filled with powerful heroes and villains. The animation gorgeously realizes the 60's era character designs and the soundtrack is an orchestral masterpiece. "Epic" is a word I rarely use with a straight face, but it seems to describe GR perfectly. It makes me feel like a kid again.

Might just be the nostalgia speaking in my case. :p I remembering enjoying the fights in the original more, but that might just be because most of the fights in the movies were done in CG.

I might be exaggerating a bit since it's been a little while, but I remember the animation not exactly being a highlight. It does still beat jarring CG, though.

Firemind

I liked it. Good mecha battles, interesting character dynamics. Corvo hates a few of the characters, perhaps for good reason, but I found it enjoyable.

Do the 6 films give a conclusive ending? I just hate it when series end abruptly. I don't mind when the journey's great like Berserk and GTO, but for a short OVA series, the writing has to be solid.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Do the 6 films give a conclusive ending? I just hate it when series end abruptly. I don't mind when the journey's great like Berserk and GTO, but for a short OVA series, the writing has to be solid.

It ends like the end of a big arc in a shonen show. The story doesn't close completely (manga is still ongoing, and in fact the ending here differs slightly from the manga), but it ends as well as it really can. There's a definite buildup and final showdown, but they handle it like you would a movie leaving the door open for a sequel.

Puruzi

Banned
I was watching some of BlueSakuga's videos, and I saw a bunch of Precure stuff. Why has nobody informed me that Precure has some cool as fuck fight sequences goddamn

VRMN

Okay, two more things to account for, then sports.

Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works 10

As ever, the fights are the most enjoyable part of the franchise and the one between Saber and Kuzuki is an enjoyable one just to see a human stand up to a Servant. Not that this is an incredibly rare thing in Fate, but it's still fun to see. I'm still underwhelmed by the adaptation and I'm not sure if it's because I've outgrown the series or not. I did enjoy the VN, but I was also much younger when I read it. That said, I know the best parts of this series will lie in its second cour.

Your Lie in April 10

Yes, this is what I wanted to see. A marvelous recovery, a very emotional episode, and some great development out of Kousei. If the series ended where the credits rolled, it'd be a fantastic series all on its own. But we've still got more than half the series to go. I'm interested in seeing where it goes from here. I assume romance with Kaori, but as long as the music keeps coming, I'm going to be there with it no matter what.

And that just leaves...

Ping Pong the Animation 2

Smile gets some character building here. Quite interestingly done with the robot motif, emphasizing both its negative and positive aspects without really challenging that the guy is quite robotic. I really like the coach, Koizumi, and how he learned how Tsukimoto ticks. He kept pushing and pushing Tsukimoto to his breaking point and past it. I'm not sure which of the two was more interesting to watch here.

The whole thing was very normal in terms of the whole, "you have some untapped potential and I'm going to yank it out of you," but Tsukimoto's resistance to even being coached while still going along with it, I thought, was a very interesting take on the pupil character. Peco wanting to be the best, but not caring to be coached and the various experts in the show don't seem to think that much of him as he is now, while Smile couldn't care less but has the aptitude to be better...I could see a lot of tension arising there as the latter invariably gets better and probably surpasses Peco.

Ghost in the Shell: Innocence

Still not even 30mins in but god damn, even if the CGI by Production I.G. is relatively good, the characters are a bit of an eyesore thanks to their shoddy framerate -_-

Vito

Banned
Earlier today drop posted a big beatiful scan of the Death Parade spread with no stupid watemarks. I was reluctant to repost it, but I can't hold back anymore, I'm just so hyped for this series

no, I swear not just cause of those dem legs... ok maybe just a bit. But I honestly hope it turns out to be a good show cause I loved the Anime Mirai one and the designs look really cool. Japan, please don't ruin it with anime cliches...

Jex

Earlier today drop posted a big beatiful scan of the Death Parade spread with no stupid watemarks. I was reluctant to repost it, but I can't hold back anymore, I'm just so hyped for this series

no, I swear not just cause of those dem legs... ok maybe just a bit. But I honestly hope it turns out to be a good show cause I loved the Anime Mirai one and the designs look really cool. Japan, please don't ruin it with anime cliches...

You're asking the impossible!

After feedback from both here and ANN I've updated my cart:

Here are the items I will be getting from the holiday sale:

Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail: $16
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: Solid State Society: $10
Hellsing TV Volume 4: $12 (Only getting it for the Seras Figurine)
Hellsing Ultimate: Complete series is $77
Infinite Ryvius: $20
Kamichu OST: $2
Martian Successor Nadesico: $24
Mazinkaiser/Shuten Doji Double pack: $8
Megazone 23: $15
Paranoia Agent OST: $5
Spice and Wolf: $22
Summer Wars: $12
Wolf Children: $14

Total of the wills: $237

Stuff I might be getting but have a few Clarifications about:

First Squad: The moment of Truth BD: $8. Been interested in this one for it's unique (by anime standards) premise. Is the film any good?
Gankustou: The Count of Monte Cristo: $12. Still didn't really get a good answer of whether the video quality for Funi's release is good or not. If so, I"ll buy it, if not I drop it from my cart.
Princess Tutu: Forgot about this one. How does it differentiate itself from Madoka?
Soul Eater: Will likely get this one, in large part because everyone tells me it's a great series. However would it be better to get the DVD or the BD? They are both $30 price wise.

I probably won't be getting anything else barring forgetting something else or a surprise recommendation.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom