• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 |OT2| Idly waiting for the Dog Days of Sabre

Status
Not open for further replies.
Terraformars 11

Oh hey we spent an episode focused on introducing a character and his origin story and didn't kill him at the end. The back story for Keiji was very enjoyable and his battle with the steel terraformar was really exciting.

Sakura

I watched Futari ha Milky Holmes last night.
I think I dropped it when it was originally airing (or I just forgot about it).
But as a side story it really wasn't too bad. Especially compared to Milky Holmes Alternative.
One complaint I would have though, is that we got a whole episode with that stupid blue haired girl, Himeyuri or whatever, whom I literally remember nothing about. Yet for Kobayashi, all we get, is a random, nonsensical appearance at the end, where he says one line (I bet it was stock audio) and then seemingly disappears. I need more Kobayashi. Alternative was such a disappointment.

All right so I've made a cart on RightStuf with the intention of getting $250 for free shipping to Canada.

Here are the items I will be getting from the holiday sale:

Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail: $16
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: Solid State Society: $10
Hellsing TV Volume 4: $12 (Only getting it for the Seras Figurine)
Hellsing Ultimate: Complete series is $77
Mazinkaiser/Shuten Doji Double pack: $8
Spice and Wolf: $22

Total of the wills: $133

Stuff I might be getting but have a few Clarifications about:

First Squad: The moment of Truth BD: $8. Been interested in this one for it's unique (by anime standards) premise. Is the film any good?
Gankustou: The Count of Monte Cristo: $12. Still didn't really get a good answer of whether the video quality for Funi's release is good or not. If so, I"ll buy it, if not I drop it from my cart.
Infinite Ryvius: $20. Another title I'm interested in. Is this one worth buying, especially considering it's a OOP Bandai title?
Martian Successor Nadesico: $24 I liked this one, might just buy the whole series while it's cheap.
Megazone 23: $15. This one caught by attention because of the really good soundtrack. The question is, is the show on the same level of quality?
Soul Eater: Will likely get this one, in large part because everyone tells me it's a great series. However would it be better to get the DVD or the BD? They are both $30 price wise.
Summer Wars: $12 and Wolf Children: $14 Both films are from the same director and have had a similar reception (I.E great). Probably asking the obvious at this point but is it worth the buy?

Stuff that I might otherwise pass on unless if told otherwise:

Durarara: $120. Still a bit too pricey for me. Doesn't help that it's out of stock on the website.
Trigun Maximum: In large part because RightStuf doesn't have it in their store. I'm planning to get my package by Christmas.
Ouran High School Host Club: $20. I liked but I don't think I'd watch it again. So why spend the money?
Okami-San: $16 I stopped watching this halfway in for whatever reason. If people say it's worth buying then I might do so but otherwise i'll probably stream the rest if I ever get back to it.

Everything else that I might get:

Music CD's: I'd only get these for the purpose of putting them on my Iphone. Any recommendations that are $5 or less?
The latest volumes of Attack on Titan: Before the Fall, Higurashi, and Knights of Sidonia. Could easily buy these in stores but should I just add them to the cart?

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Terraformars 12

An episode of pure bug on roach shonen action and it was awesome. I do find it weird how they have to censor the deaths of human characters, but can have extremely gory deaths for the roaches :| It certainly doesn't help the racist stigma this series has...

Kansoku

He (Keitaro Motonaga) directed Katanagatari as well, so it will be either the best thing ever or the worst thing ever. I have faith that it will be good.

BonKoi Episode 10

Ryou kun blushing and laughing this whole episode was a huge highlight. I dont like him being injured but everyone is doing a good job at keeping him smiling and laughing.

Sakura

Just watched the PV for the new Milky Holmes series... I want to like, be in their office when they are planning and making these anime series. The staff is just so ridiculous. I don't know why they keep this gag going. It's not like Milky Holmes sells well I don't think. Oh well, I'm not complaining, I love Milky Holmes.

Anyway, I haven't watched either of the Gundam series since they started airing so it is time to catch up.

Hattori

Banned
[7 Deadly Sins] - 5-6
I'm starting to appreciate Elizabeth a little bit more after these couple of episodes.
Her backstory parallels that of Vivi from One Piece and she has the same strong will and determination to save her country and people.
Hawk continues to be the best though xD

Veitsev

Summer Wars: $12 and Wolf Children: $14 Both films are from the same director and have had a similar reception (I.E great). Probably asking the obvious at this point but is it worth the buy?

Ouran High School Host Club: $20. I liked but I don't think I'd watch it again. So why spend the money?

Summer Wars and Wolf Children are fantastic. Summer Wars in particular is really really wacky and fun. Wolf Children is a drama and is very moving at times. Both are as good (or better) than anything Studio Ghibli releases. Must buy. Summer Wars is probably my favorite "anime" film.

Ouran is worth getting for the extras if you liked the dub. There are six commentaries with Caitlin Glass (Haruhi and the show's ADR Director) along with two rotating costars. They are really funny and its clear how much they all love the show. There are also close to 40 minutes of outtakes which are hilarious.

Midonin

Chocotto Sister Advent Calendar Day 13

Yurika is about as basic a Kugyuu tsundere as you can get. Choco making a friend and the show generally moving in a new direction for its second cour is okay with me. I also support the growing yuri teasing between Chitose and Makoto. Fun episode. A bit on the standard side, but fun.

Sword Art Online II 23

The next to last episode of this emotional rollercoaster of AIDS and other things. Asuna's appeal to her mom was kind of on the mawkish side, but the stuff with Yuuki attending school like a normal girl and her chatting with Asuna was actually kinda heartwarming, in a genuine way. If anything, the Mother's Rosario arc has been earnest. It's done a good job of making me believe that this show really isn't that bad. Misguided and uneven, but it's not the worst thing anime's ever produced. Authors always have room to improve.

Ef - A Tale of Melodies 06

qP9Cz2x.jpg

Holy shit.

Yep, this got really dark.

log horizon S2 - 11

If you've been in a long raid , in a MMO , you should feel right at home.. It's really something LH does very well . From tank swap , aggro management , position management , MP management and so on.

This battle felt great as a result . Especially since , now Demi-demi finally got a real talk with the "vilain".

But damn this raid does feel very unfair , i hope nobody from Square or Blizzard is taking notes.

"Big kudos for them showing Demikas adorable wife " , now that's a anime only bonus i can get behind.

Nice to see some growth and backstory with Demi and finally got to see the woman that got him whipped lol

Loved this week's ep, Shiro showing off what he does best, I still can't wrap my head around the amount of precise coordination and multitasking required to know your groups' skills and cooldowns so well that you can plan how and when what skills are used.

VRMN

Gonna be the Twin-Tail!! 10

Tail Red > Souji anyway, so I'm cool with this. Not that it'll last more than the next episode, if only because the harem must be maintained. The production values continue to plummet and it's not like they were high to begin with. It was actually kind of amazing how poorly done the action sequence was.

Amagi Brilliant Park 11

I'd probably believe that they were headed for a bittersweet ending if this wasn't the third-to-last episode rather than the second-to-last. As such, they're probably going to pull something out of their asses to get that last 500 by the skin of their nose. As expected after last week, nothing really funny this week; they're in full on plot mode. It's really kind of a shame because I felt they had found their stride.

Parasyte 11

...did they just have a romantic resolution before the end of the first cour? Still probably lots of drama on that end because Satomi is still having doubts, it's this kind of series, and...Kana's going to die, isn't she? But I always find relationships that have been established more interesting than those that are budding. And with these secrets he's harboring, that should be interesting on its own rights. Oh yeah, the parasites are planning something and finally a fight that's not just flesh blades swinging at each other. More of that please.

If Her Flag Breaks OVA

Why did they even call this episode 14? It's a Christmas OVA and it doesn't take place in the anime continuity because Nanami is back to being a romantic interest when she was thoroughly disqualified by the main series
by being his sister
. I'm guessing that's not the case in the LNs. Still merely an okay series, though the "overly generous reverse catfights" the (gigantic) harem in this series is known for are still amusing.

Shirobako 10

Resignations, resignations everywhere and not a layoff to be found. Interested in seeing what they do for the second cour; my thoughts are either they just move ahead with the next series Musani is doing or they time skip to the five of them working together on that Five Lucky Gods series they keep talking about doing.

Have Your Lie in April, Fate/Stay Night, and In Search of the Lost Future to catch up on and then maybe I'll get back to Ping Pong today.

Meguro

Banned
SAO II 23

I don´t know how to feel about this episode. The show is clearly banking on an emotional investment in these characters that I just don´t have. Does that make this episode bad or the ones that failed to make me care about Yuuki bad? Does it even matter at this point?
Anyway, 1 more to go!

John Blade

All right so I've made a cart on RightStuf with the intention of getting $250 for free shipping to Canada.

Here are the items I will be getting from the holiday sale:

Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail: $16
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: Solid State Society: $10
Hellsing TV Volume 4: $12 (Only getting it for the Seras Figurine)
Hellsing Ultimate: Complete series is $77
Mazinkaiser/Shuten Doji Double pack: $8
Spice and Wolf: $22

Total of the wills: $133

First Squad: The moment of Truth BD: $8. Been interested in this one for it's unique (by anime standards) premise. Is the film any good?
Gankustou: The Count of Monte Cristo: $12. Still didn't really get a good answer of whether the video quality for Funi's release is good or not. If so, I"ll buy it, if not I drop it from my cart.
Infinite Ryvius: $20. Another title I'm interested in. Is this one worth buying, especially considering it's a OOP Bandai title?
Martian Successor Nadesico: $24 I liked this one, might just buy the whole series while it's cheap.
Megazone 23: $15. This one caught by attention because of the really good soundtrack. The question is, is the show on the same level of quality?
Soul Eater: Will likely get this one, in large part because everyone tells me it's a great series. However would it be better to get the DVD or the BD? They are both $30 price wise.

Stuff that I might otherwise pass on unless if told otherwise:

Durarara: $120. Still a bit too pricey for me. Doesn't help that it's out of stock on the website.
Trigun Maximum: In large part because RightStuf doesn't have it in their store. I'm planning to get my package by Christmas.
Okami-San: $16 I stopped watching this halfway in for whatever reason. If people say it's worth buying then I might do so but otherwise i'll probably stream the rest if I ever get back to it.

Everything else that I might get:

Music CD's: I'd only get these for the purpose of putting them on my Iphone. Any recommendations that are $5 or less?
The latest volumes of Attack on Titan: Before the Fall, Higurashi, and Knights of Sidonia. Could easily buy these in stores but should I just add them to the cart?

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Infinite Ryvius is basically Lord of the Flies in space from what I read. If you're going to buy those stuff from RightStuff (which i am also and already pass it quite a bit). A show I think you should look at is Patlabor. They're all in sales right now and lots of people love the show which is why I am getting them.

Narag

jp audio track forces subs. jappaaaaaaaaan

Thankfully this is one of those cases where I don't mind the dub so I don't feel too screwed.

Narag

Cowboy Bebop 1

There's so much to love in this first one. It's been years since I'd last seen it and I'd be holding off giving it another go while I leveled up the ol' appreciation for the medium in here and frankly, I'm glad that I did. It's mind-blowing just how pretty is is. Normally I like to take the occasional screengrab of a show when it looks great here or there. Damn near every frame could be grabbed from this one and shown off. In particular, the background work is stunning such as when Spike's on the bench in a sombrero.

The direction is fab too as there's so much showing rather than telling, letting the viewer pick things up as it goes along rather than drowning them with explanation. Little stuff that I'm sure has been gone over time and time again but stands out to me after having watched this for the first time in forever include touches like:
  • Jet & Spike are charactereized by their actions more than their words.
  • Spike's ominous warning about running away that hints at stuff beyond this ep
  • Spike's sleight of hand with the groceries making his trick with Asimov feel all the more natural
  • Spike's dropped cigarette marking the passage of time while he's unoncious
  • Episode opening and clsoing in the same fashion establishing this sort of thing as routine for Spike & Jet.

Narag

Cowboy Bebop 2

After watching a ton of shit after Cowboy Bebop back in the day, I feel like I finally get what's going on with Ein (and later Ed) in this show. I mean, ostensibly it's the same sort of lost pet ep that leads to hijinx that seems fairly common. It's just tweaked in a way that Bebop can call its own while simultaneously starting the send-ups of the animal (and later, again with Ed, kid) sidekick archetype that seems to have been common in a lot of sci-fi shows.

Goofy tone of this one goes a long way in demonstrating the range of stories the show covers with its episodic nature as well.

Haven't ever posted in here before but I think this would be the right place for this.

Anyway, I've been getting into Dragonball Z again and have been buying the seasons on blu ray. I'm a bit over halfway done with Season One (Goku is about to come back and fight Nappa/Vegeta) and am thoroughly enjoying it. I've also been looking around to see if I can get the movies and stuff on blu ray as well. Most of them are available in the double feature packs, which is great.

However, I've noticed a few are missing. Namely, Episode of Bardock, Yo! Son Goku and his Friends Return, and Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans. The last of which I only recently found out about.

Does anybody know if there are any plans of these being released in America on blu ray? Or even DVD for that matter?

Stemming off that a bit, Dragon Ball is only available on DVD from what I have found. Anybody know if there are plans to release those on blu ray in similar cases/styles to the current DBZ run? I'd love to have a uniform design when I buy them, rather than some on DVD and some on BR.

Thanks for the help guys!

Ef - A Tale of Melodies 10

Oh, shit. Only one thing that could happen now... Yep, as I though. Merry Christmas.

A certain character from the present appears in the past as well. And a bad Engrish line from the OP gets really inappropriate here:
I wish I could see your insides.
:p

VRMN

In Search of the Lost Future 11

One episode left, but it finally happened. The future finally changed and as expected
Sou falling in love with Yui rather than Kaori was the catalyst. Sou rejected Kaori and confessed to Yui, who responded positively with a kiss before vanishing, her job of saving Kaori completed, as Kaori was too busy crying in the club room to get hit by the bus outside.

Next week will almost certainly give our winner the happy ending she so richly deserves. How and why will probably be an ass pull, but she is the best girl, so I'm all for it.

phaze

FSN: UBW

I need to rid myself of the conviction, stemming from F/Z, that masters have no chance against heroic spirits. Clearly, things won't make a lot of sense if I don't.

It was a decent episode with good action and a few interesting developments.
Gilga seems to have evolved into full Hitler now.
That said, the power ups are getting Bleach/HxH levels of bad.

The Tale of the Princess Kaguya

First thing I noticed was the duration, 2 hours 17 minutes. It seemed long for what it seemed a story of this type (not knowing really the story at this point, just thinking on the trailer I watched).
But the constantly good animation makes a film a pleasure to see, and of course the overall high quality of everything else also helps. In special I wanted to point out the voice acting, excellent, it really sells the characters and the story in general.

The plot is fairly simple, but perfectly told. They key part is when the father, in his well intentioned but low-standing class ignorance, thinks being an elegant princess and therefore part of the high class nobility is the best thing ever, an objective truth, so prioritizes turning her into a princess... above her real happiness.
We, in the other hand, can see that at least there is an exchange of pros and cons in being a princess, as they are prisoners of everyone's expectations, in how to talk, how to move, always be smiling and graceful, what's is possible to do, etc. And that's with the current concept of princess, the film remind us how it was even worse in feudal Japan, where they were basically a trophy wife, an ornament, with a incredibly limited rules and constraints. They weren't even pretty! (from our pov) with black teeth and white makeup and without eye brows.

Again, it's superb directed and produced, the biggest virtue of the film is just pure almost flawless execution, which is kind of hard to explain in words, except saying superlatives. Perhaps the best way to express it is to say how isn't good just in the important scenes, but in all scenes, every little movement and scene and character expression seems to have been studied and thought in a methodical way, leaving nothing to improvisation. Which sounds very clinical but it means the films is filled with emotion, from the sweetness of parenting, to the innocent happiness to solitude to sadness. Consistence of quality.

Obviously it has a strong anti-patriarchy theme. It's the father who causes the turmoil in her life that drives the story, her mother is the one who truly understands her, and also the scene with his majesty (aka the big symbol of patriarchy) is the one which causes the ending of the story, and he has a real fucking creepy moment, believing he can do whatever he pleases with women.

Perhaps my only complaint would be in the last part of the film,
I think the time between her confessing she called the Moon Court and what it means, and the actual moment where the Court descends is a bit too long, it makes you believe that there will be a development or decision in that time that will throw a wrench or something different will happen, positive or negative, but no, it's exactly as she said, they come and she has to go. End. Credits. Maybe the scene with the grown up boy of her childhood (when they fly) would have to be moved before.
At least the way she looked back at Earth in the last moment, it seemed she remembered a bit?

It's also interesting how in the movie it's finally revealed her origins, the Moon Court... which if you think about it, it's the same shit, she is also trapped there in rules and expectations and "pureness" and the patriarchy of a male god. Poor Kaguya, no escape.

Narag how's the quality of the blu-ray? I mean I guess you can't compare unless you watch it side by side, but in large HDTV's especially. Need to see how it looks on those now.

VRMN

Good Enough™

"It's Funimation" would have sufficed. At some level if/when I get this it'll probably be in part for the better audio quality; there's only so much you can do with the visuals and I don't trust Funimation video quality in the best of circumstances.

Jarmel

Banned
The Tale of the Princess Kaguya
Perhaps my only complaint would be in the last part of the film,
It's also interesting how in the movie it's finally revealed her origins, the Moon Court... which if you think about it, it's the same shit, she is also trapped there in rules and expectations and "pureness" and the patriarchy of a male god. Poor Kaguya, no escape.

As Firehawk or Femmeworth might say, that's how the film should end.
Just as there is no escape in real life from patriarchial society, Kaguya herself is doomed and taken against her will. She's forced, against her own wishes and desires, to remain this pure 'being' on the Moon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom