• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 |OT2| Idly waiting for the Dog Days of Sabre

Status
Not open for further replies.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Never thought Cajun had the capacity for evil.

it's a cute evil

little_cute_and___evil__by_music_mup.jpg

fate/stay 10

Fuck this anime and fuck the main characters in particular. I am so done with the slow boiling shit show of a plot and its nonsensical development. Rin Tohsaka is up there with the worst protagonist I can think of, not because she is incompetent, but because she is competent but chooses not to be, or rather, because she isn't allowed to be. The writers insist on playing this tsundere addled romantic subplot for all its worth, to the point it has turned her into a complete idiot that has abandoned rationality and basic strategy in favour of playing nice with her love interest, who for some reason is like black hole for reasonable thoughts. At least Archer called her out on that shit this episode.

Never mind the fact that we've been fed the same bullshit excuse why she hasn't simply taken Emiya out of the Holy Grail War for, I dunno, at least four episodes before the writers made it so abundantly clear these two were going to be allies, we still have to deal with Rin being a complete fuckwit that for some reasons sees fit to leave her Servant at home like he's a pet instead of her primary means of survival in a clandestine mage war that could claim her life at any minute, now Emiya pulled a typical shōnen power up that conveniently allowed him to fight off a mage that rekt Saber.

Really, fuck this anime. fate/zero shits on it from biblical heights. It's not even funny how terrible this is by comparison. I don't know what I was expecting, considering the high school setting and knowing that fate/stay had a bad reputation long before I got into either anime.

I'm pretty much fed up with this. I'd drop it if the first half wasn't nearly over. I'm going to need the 3 month gap to get over my disappointment.

I just needed to quote this to let you know how hilarious this post is. I love it. As for the bolded it's literally a character trait of Rin that she screws up at important moments, not joking.

tbh gotta give credit to nasu that he gives explanations for all the stupid shit his characters do, even if the explanations are just as dumb.

Ventara

Princess Mononoke

Wow! This movie was great! Probably my favourite Studio Ghibli film, though I have only watched 3 others, them being Nausicaa, Howl's Moving Castle and Totoro. Story, characters, animation and sound were all on point.

The story was really interesting and had me paying attention the whole time. It doesn't waste time on exposition and is constantly moving forward. We're quickly shown the main problem the main character faces as he has to travel far to find a cure for his newly found curse. Meeting a bunch of unique characters really livened up the movie. All the stuff about the Forest God and Guardians were fascinating and I really enjoyed those bits. The conclusion was a bit sudden (I've found this to be the case for all Studio Ghibli movies so far), but at the same time it was just right. All the main plot points had been resolved and it was more of a feeling of wanting to see more of the wonderful characters and world built in the movie to find out what happens next.

The (English) voice acting in this movie was great. I really wish more anime has this kind of VA. It would make them so much more enjoyable to watch. Music was top-notch, too.

Animation was fantastic. SO much attention to detail. Not only was the world alive and colourful, but the little things the characters do really gives them more personality and shows that the animators truly cared about what they worked on.

Anyways, top marks for the movie from me. Gonna go watch Arrietty now.

cajunator

Banned
Not to my (admitedly limited) knowledge. Most anime is set in:

- Japan

or

- A fictional land

so you don't often see those kinds of leads.

Thats quite true but I have definitely seen minor characters who are middle eastern influenced. A lot of the sorts of characters that would be, are Arabian influence, like in Magi, but not much else. There are some shows set in deserts and such, but Trigun and Desert Punk for example have typical anime character leads. I dont know if they try to avoid using characters from that region or just arent very familiar with them.

I watched the first episode of Yozakura Quartet and while I liked it, it felt like the show wanted me to know the cast already. Is there a prerequisite thing I need to watch or is that just how it is?

Theres another older series of it which kind of introduces everyone but Hana no Uta came quite a bit later so it shouldnt matter a lot.

Parastye 11

The leads kissed... in an anime... during the series? Who are you and what have you done with my Japanese anime? A parasite must have taken!

It happens sometimes. Every now and then you have an anime couple that actually acts like one. Saikano for example, if it wasnt so incredibly bleak and apocalyptic it would be a good example of a couple trying to be together who are already in unabashed love.
Of course Saikano is never happy to allow them to be content.

Full Metal Panic! Fumoffu - 2

This entire show is freaking hilarious and it's only the second episode. Every other scene in the first half was a joke or gag of some kind and I loved every second of it.

Its a gem. a true diamond, and not even one in the rough. This sucker is polished. What I love about it is it focuses more on the school portion, when the comedy would be the best as sousuke tries to be as professionally military as possible while protecting Chidori, yet tries to fit into the school way of life. The series touched upon this comedy potential but had to stay serious for the sake of the story. Fumoffu doesnt have to adhere to that and just lets it all go to hell in the most hilarious ways possible.

For anyone with experience with Right Stuf..

Is it normal for my order to not show up in order status on my account? Its been about 24 hours or so and I got an email confirmation but its kind of weird that nothing is showing up. Also kind of weird that my order number in my email (even though the order is correct) doesn't match the number when I got the order number right after ordering.

Yes its normal. Theres a small delay. Rightstuf is one of the most trustworthy companies I have ever dealt with and Ive bought from them for over a decade running.
I practically worship this company.

Everyone should buy Spice & Wolf.

This. Just quoting for truth.

I guess I should probably conclude my own WIXOSS journey soon, too. My heart's not exactly in writing comic outrage posts anymore, but I owe it to everybody to finish what I started.

MadP we love your Wixoss impressions and look forward to more. But more importantly, we just plain love you.

Mature

Princess Mononoke

Wow! This movie was great! Probably my favourite Studio Ghibli film, though I have only watched 3 others, them being Nausicaa, Howl's Moving Castle and Totoro. Story, characters, animation and sound were all on point.

The story was really interesting and had me paying attention the whole time. It doesn't waste time on exposition and is constantly moving forward. We're quickly shown the main problem the main character faces as he has to travel far to find a cure for his newly found curse. Meeting a bunch of unique characters really livened up the movie. All the stuff about the Forest God and Guardians were fascinating and I really enjoyed those bits. The conclusion was a bit sudden (I've found this to be the case for all Studio Ghibli movies so far), but at the same time it was just right. All the main plot points had been resolved and it was more of a feeling of wanting to see more of the wonderful characters and world built in the movie to find out what happens next.

The (English) voice acting in this movie was great. I really wish more anime has this kind of VA. It would make them so much more enjoyable to watch. Music was top-notch, too.

Animation was fantastic. SO much attention to detail. Not only was the world alive and colourful, but the little things the characters do really gives them more personality and shows that the animators truly cared about what they worked on.

If you've only seen Totoro, Naussica, Howl's and this, there's others I would suggest before Arrietty. Namely, Spirited Away and Porco Rosso. Though if time isn't an issue for you, then have fun running through them all!

Accel World - 3

The world of this show certainly has an interesting system. There's a level 10, but all the level 9 players form an allegiance since becoming level 10 means defeating your fellow level 9s, who lose the Brain Burst program immediately. It's interesting to see Kuroyukihime essentially be the protagonist in this scenario. You'd think she'd be the villain, since she was the one who betrayed her comrades in an attempt to reach level 10.

I like this scenario. It's basically an advanced way of life you can live in but have to constantly fight in order to keep living in that lifestyle. Pretty cool.

HappinessCharge Precure 44

Red vs Blue. Blastoise vs Charizard. Raspberries vs Blueberries.

In a flair of stunning cuts that outshine entire HapCha episodes, to Insert Song galore, even Kissing and NTR right in front of Megumi, we get some crying. A bunch of crying.

And animation. Lovely animation. And Nandakaras.

I will say that even with last weeks episode in consideration, this could be HapCha's best episode yet. And it'll probably be the best animated episode of the season as well.

Oh man. I need to see this.

Ventara

If you've only seen Totoro, Naussica, Howl's and this, there's others I would suggest before Arrietty. Namely, Spirited Away and Porco Rosso. Though if time isn't an issue for you, then have fun running through them all!

I always have time for Studio Ghibli! Those two are definitely on my list, along with Castle in the Sky and Kikki's Delivery Service.

It's gonna be a sad day for me once I've seen all the Studio Ghibli movies. They're all so good that the idea of not having anything new to watch from them is depressing.

fate/stay 10

Fuck this anime and fuck the main characters in particular. I am so done with the slow boiling shit show of a plot and its nonsensical development. Rin Tohsaka is up there with the worst protagonist I can think of, not because she is incompetent, but because she is competent but chooses not to be, or rather, because she isn't allowed to be. The writers insist on playing this tsundere addled romantic subplot for all its worth, to the point it has turned her into a complete idiot that has abandoned rationality and basic strategy in favour of playing nice with her love interest, who for some reason is like black hole for reasonable thoughts. At least Archer called her out on that shit this episode.

Never mind the fact that we've been fed the same bullshit excuse why she hasn't simply taken Emiya out of the Holy Grail War for, I dunno, at least four episodes before the writers made it so abundantly clear these two were going to be allies, we still have to deal with Rin being a complete fuckwit that for some reasons sees fit to leave her Servant at home like he's a pet instead of her primary means of survival in a clandestine mage war that could claim her life at any minute, now Emiya pulled a typical shōnen power up that conveniently allowed him to fight off a mage that rekt Saber.

Really, fuck this anime. fate/zero shits on it from biblical heights. It's not even funny how terrible this is by comparison. I don't know what I was expecting, considering the high school setting and knowing that fate/stay had a bad reputation long before I got into either anime.

I'm pretty much fed up with this. I'd drop it if the first half wasn't nearly over. I'm going to need the 3 month gap to get over my disappointment.

You made my day, sir. Thanks, but why torment yourself by continuing to watch the show though?

VRMN

Ping Pong the Animation 5

Well, that was quite the time leap. Nothing insane; just wasn't expecting them to go post-
Olympics
right after the last episode. The animation continues to be a high point here, with fluid motion in every scene. It's really quite crazy and amazing to see.

In terms of the characters, due to the skip we see most of the characters in very different places than they were when we last saw them. Peco in particular took a deep dive from where he was just an episode ago and getting worse fast; the
losses to Kong and Sakuma
did a number on him. Kong seems to have recovered a bit and lowered his head out of the clouds a little; it was interesting to see him use some basic Japanese. I thought that was pretty indicative of where he's at now.

Sakuma seems to have hit a wall off camera, while Kazama is upset at how mediocre Kaio is as a team even if he's able to carry them a bit on his shoulders with his talents. I thought it was pretty impressive at how all this felt natural even though a lot of this development happened in between episodes. None of it felt off except maybe for Smile having
completely become the robotic ping pong death dealing machine he's been capable of for a while
. He's good, yes, but there's still no passion there and I don't know if talent without love is going to get him where people expect him to get. He's still just killing time even if he's not playing down to his opponents anymore.

Peco
seeming to give up the game
at the end and Sakuma completely losing it were a surprisingly emotional couple of scenes. I didn't think I really cared about them, but I thought they communicated their relative stages of despair really well.

Girl Und Panzer 10

"hey if you guys have seen any extra tanks lying around let us know!"

'Oh hey look at this tank that has been sitting in the parking lot this entire time that nobody saw, how convenient'

*introduced three new characters to pilot this new tank, establishes they met playing world of tanks in game*

"oh noes we can't pilot our tank it was so much easier in the game... oops were going backwards now"

*reverses in front of flag tank taking the shot that would have killed them by accident*

Mask_Salesman_rage.gif

Crocodile

Usagi Drop END

Just a wonderful series throughout. Basically just a somewhat optimistic overview of parenthood. I feel its a show many would overlook, especially in their rush to decree all anime as otaku trash. Shame the manga went of the rails from what I've heard but the anime is a strong, stand aloe product.

Baccano 2

Oddly straight forward compared to the last episode :p Not much to say other than this will be a ride :p

From the New World 9

Similar to Steins Gate, this show so far has been a pretty slow buildup. My impression is that things pay off HUGE in the later half of the show. Still, this world is so weird and I'm really in the mood to learn more. Episode 3 was already a HOLY SHIT episode and the later part of this episode was the same. I wonder if we are on a straight upward trajectory from here or if the show will follow path of "hills and valleys".

Girls und Panzer 10

I dunno why but the mere presence of some of the new "characters" as well as the continued presence of some of the older characters just piss me off. It's really hard for me to find the good in this show :(

cajunator

Banned

Well, this looks absolutely adorable. Might have to watch this.

Hm... It's firehawk12's birthday? If so, congrats.

Happy birthday if true!

Digimon Adventure tri.

Character designs by Atsuya Uki!!! Series comp. Yuko Kakihara http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=50324 … Drector Keitaro Motonaga http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=603 …

Tsuritama character designs? Interest rising!

They're called Digimon twins.
They look the same.
Good gawd...they look so God damn like the same person.
I would say to them "You want to digivolve?"
Both of them say yes.

I love you.

They did kiss when they got together (same episode as implied sex scene). After that episode though their relationship has been kinda platonic... It's pretty interesting how rare kissing or any kind of romantic behavior is in anime outside of comedic purposes. I can probably count with one hand fingers sex scenes of implied sex I have seen in anime (quickly from the memory: SAO, Gundam Seed and Clannand AS at least).

Saikano as mentioned earlier.

Definitively get Wolf Children.

I second, third, fourth, whatever is necessary. Just buy it everybody!

You...you....CAT.
You FELINE.
Mine is from amazon so should be shipping soonish.

jp audio track forces subs. jappaaaaaaaaan

Thankfully this is one of those cases where I don't mind the dub so I don't feel too screwed.

I loooooove the dub. In fact I refuse to accept the japanese language of Cowboy Bebop.
Its so perfect in english.

wtf did the standard edition ship before the limited? Mine doesn't ship till like the 16th from amazon

Yeah TRSI does that.

Cowboy Bebop 2

After watching a ton of shit after Cowboy Bebop back in the day, I feel like I finally get what's going on with Ein (and later Ed) in this show. I mean, ostensibly it's the same sort of lost pet ep that leads to hijinx that seems fairly common. It's just tweaked in a way that Bebop can call its own while simultaneously starting the send-ups of the animal (and later, again with Ed, kid) sidekick archetype that seems to have been common in a lot of sci-fi shows.

Goofy tone of this one goes a long way in demonstrating the range of stories the show covers with its episodic nature as well.

I cant wait to watch Jupiter Jazz again in HD. Or Toys in the Attic..or or...any of it!

Recommend me an anime please. I liked Evangelion and Death Note. Attack on Titan was sorta ok.

Hmm. Gurren Lagann is a great choice.

God bless the UK and their cheaper prices.

Importing an UK Bluray Player was a great idea.

Great choices. You will have much enjoyment.

Date A Live II OVA

Finally, what we all been waiting for.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
This will probably kill AHugeBattleship. RIP.

So I ended up signing up for a funimation free trial account then cancelling it a couple hours later... Their android app is horrible it crashes lots and randomly. When you click a show all the episodes appear but with no ep #s beside them making it confusing in which order to watch them.

So besides Netflix & Crunchyroll (Both are great), Hulu Plus / Funimation (Both sucked)... Any other services worth checking out?

Not really honestly. Those are the best by far.

Yeah, I got Non Non Biyori from them last Saturday. The official release is Jan. 6.

Mine is currently stuck in limbo. It shipped like 8 days ago with priority 2 day shipping lol.
At least I have the latest tracking position at my local post office so if it doesnt come tomorrow Im driving over there Monday and taking it by force.

I am a vain person. I NEED YOUR APPROVAL SENPAIIIII

I love you Theonik-kun.
*hugglemofupenguins

After feedback from both here and ANN I've updated my cart:

Here are the items I will be getting from the holiday sale:

Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail: $16
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: Solid State Society: $10
Hellsing TV Volume 4: $12 (Only getting it for the Seras Figurine)
Hellsing Ultimate: Complete series is $77
Infinite Ryvius: $20
Kamichu OST: $2
Martian Successor Nadesico: $24
Mazinkaiser/Shuten Doji Double pack: $8
Megazone 23: $15
Paranoia Agent OST: $5
Spice and Wolf: $22
Summer Wars: $12
Wolf Children: $14

Total of the wills: $237

Stuff I might be getting but have a few Clarifications about:

First Squad: The moment of Truth BD: $8. Been interested in this one for it's unique (by anime standards) premise. Is the film any good?
Gankustou: The Count of Monte Cristo: $12. Still didn't really get a good answer of whether the video quality for Funi's release is good or not. If so, I"ll buy it, if not I drop it from my cart.
Princess Tutu: Forgot about this one. How does it differentiate itself from Madoka?
Soul Eater: Will likely get this one, in large part because everyone tells me it's a great series. However would it be better to get the DVD or the BD? They are both $30 price wise.

I probably won't be getting anything else barring forgetting something else or a surprise recommendation.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Excellent pickups. The one thing I have to say is Princess Tutu is an entirely different kind of show from Madoka. It never approaches that level of darkness or despair although it will certainly put some characters through tough trials that test their character. Tutu is much more lighthearted and comedic at times and doesnt have the same foreboding, evil feel to it.

Joe Molotov

♪Puriti de kyua kyua Futari wa Purikkyua~!♪

I started watching Smile Precure in May 2012 because of posts here at AnimeGAF. It's been just over 2 1/2 years...

Futari wa Pretty Cure Max Heart 47 END

Despite Max Heart being kinda crap, this was a pretty good final episode. I mean, it wasn't Splash Star good, but it was okay. The Dark King is finally revived. White and Black have final battle with a powered-up Circulas, Uraganos, and Viblis. They win, but it takes all the power they have, and their bracers get destroyed. Baldez gloats and they spend a bit feeling sorry for themselves, before finally psyching themselves back up and receiving the power of life again, restoring the bracers. Baldez becomes the new Dark King and beats the crap out of them again. They feel sorry for themselves some more, but then they realize this is the final battle, so they better go all out. Shiny Luminous finally returns with the power of the Queen and charges up one final Extreme Luminario MAX and Baldez/Dark King is defeated. Honoka and Nagisa have another sad because they think Hikari sacrificed herself to become the Queen, but Hakari shows up at Akane's Tako Cafe and introduces them to her younger brother Hikaru (previously the Dark King's Life). Mipple, Mepple, Porun, and Lulun are all their too, hurray!

529 episodes of the Precure metaverse later...well I'm not finished, but I am caught up.I watched Smile -> Dokidoki -> Heartcatch -> Fresh -> Yes -> Yes GoGo -> Futari wa -> Splash Star -> Suite -> Max Heart and I've watched up to Episode 43 on HappinessCharge.

Still have a little cinematic mop up work left. The Smile movie, the Dokidoki movie, and the All-Star DX movies. I watched the New Stage movies because they were centered around characters of the shows I was currently watching, but I decided to save the DX movies until I'd watched the other series. Smile and Dokidoki, I just never went back and watched the movies, since by the time the movies were available, I'd already moved on to the next series. With the rest of the series, I was able to watch the movies during the series.

I may try to marathon the last five movies tomorrow, and then I will render my FINAL VERDICT!! (dun dun dun!) on the Precure series. SPOILER: Of course Shiny Luminous gets my pick for Best Precure.
j/k

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
fate/stay 10

Everything I would say in response to this is a spoiler. The only thing I can say is that some of the reasons you believe characters are doing certain things are not accurate.

cajunator

Banned
Hell yes to both. Ryvius is great and Hirai's character designs weren't as terrible back then (or offset by competent staff like Ueda). Only criticism to Nadesico is that it's not BD, but at a $24 pricetag the DVDs are an absolute steal (some of us got them at only 40% off). About the only complaint I have is that they did not use the superior tomboy illustration for the bonus card they gave out with the set.

(also Tutu is great, the question should be the other way around)

Nadesico is worth it just for the OP alone. Its that good. But the show is too. But I think the OP kicks it up a notch and makes it seem that much better than it is.

Yeah, get Soul Eater Bluray. Or Humanity Has Declined.

Humanity has Declined is always a recommendation from me.

I see. TBH I know very little of Tutu apart from the very basic premise and I thought the two were similar. My mistake.

1 and 2: Noted; will drop.
4: Sometimes a BD can make a show look worse. I'm just making sure is all.

Youre right about a bluray looking worse :(
It shouldnt even happen, but it does. a lot. Why do they keep getting this wrong?

Well...this whole Day 13 sales on Right Stuff have make me purchase 2 big orders which should keep me watching anime for 2015. Here is my update final list of anime I now place and it should get to me soon. Man.....this is going to cost too much for my wallet....

Quite a bit of the show are shows I hear good things but never watch it yet so it will be interesting for me to go in without knowing a damn thing which will be fun for me.

Also, thanks for the people to give me a brief info for my 1st order.

1st Order
And Yet The Town Moves DVD Complete Collection
Bottle Fairy Image Album CD
Clannad After Story Blu-ray Complete Collection
Clannad Blu-ray Complete Collection
Clannad: The Motion Picture DVD
Emma: A Victorian Romance Season 1 DVD Collection
Emma: A Victorian Romance Season 2 DVD Collection
Garden of Words, The Blu-ray
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex DVD Set
Grave of the Fireflies Blu-ray
Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz UMD
Last Exile UMD 1
Last Exile: Fam, the Silver Wing DVD/Blu-ray Part 1
Last Exile: Fam, the Silver Wing DVD/Blu-ray Part 2
Le Portrait de Petite Cossette DVD
Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water Blu-ray Complete Collection
Royal Space Force: Wings of Honneamise Blu-ray
Sakura Wars TV DVD Complete TV Series
Serial Experiments Lain DVD/Blu-ray Complete Collection
Someday's Dreamers II Sora DVD Complete Collection
Tylor, Irresponsible Captain OVA Series DVD Collection
Watamote (No Matter How I Look At It...) Blu-ray Collection
Yoko Ishida: All Of Me CD + DVD Extra

2nd Order
Ai Yori Aoshi DVD Complete Series
Ai Yori Aoshi Enishi CD Soundtrack 1
Ai Yori Aoshi: Sakura CD Soundtrack
Black Lagoon DVD/Blu-ray Complete Series
Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail OVA
Blue Seed Mitama Collection DVD Set
Children Who Chase Lost Voices Blu-ray
Dream Models UMD (D) LiveAction
FLCL Blu-ray Complete Series
Godannar DVD Complete Collection
Gunslinger Girl Blu-ray Season 1 Collection
Gunslinger Girl: Il Teatrino Blu-ray
Lupin the 3rd: Woman Called Fujiko Mine
Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi Soundtrack
New Dominion Tank Police DVD
Patlabor OVA Blu-ray Collection
Patlabor TV Series Blu-ray Collection 1
Patlabor TV Series Blu-ray Collection 2
Patlabor TV Series Blu-ray Collection 3
Patlabor TV Series Blu-ray Collection 4
Summer Wars DVD/Blu-ray
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Blu-ray Complete
Wolf Children DVD/Blu-ray
You're Under Arrest Season 2 DVD
You're Under Arrest: Full Throttle DVD

Man yall have great taste. With all this Rightstuf sales yall gonna have collections like mine and then anime can finally be saved!

Never thought Cajun had the capacity for evil.

I-Im innocent.
*gives you penguins

Animeigo says Bubblegum Crisis blurays have started shipping! Who else is excited????

I would be if I knew where to get it.

Princess Mononoke

Arrietty <3

Princess Mononoke is still to this day my favorite Miyazaki. It just edges out Spirited Away because of a better story, but I also watch this movie almost as often as I do Millennium Actress (several times a year). It is absolutely stellar from beginning to end. One of my favorite things ever put to film.

Accel World - 3

The world of this show certainly has an interesting system. There's a level 10, but all the level 9 players form an allegiance since becoming level 10 means defeating your fellow level 9s, who lose the Brain Burst program immediately. It's interesting to see Kuroyukihime essentially be the protagonist in this scenario. You'd think she'd be the villain, since she was the one who betrayed her comrades in an attempt to reach level 10.

I like this scenario. It's basically an advanced way of life you can live in but have to constantly fight in order to keep living in that lifestyle. Pretty cool.

Its like the writer of SAO temporarily formed coherent thoughts when creating Accel World. Actually, it takes place supposedly in the same universe as SAO, taking lessons learned from that failure and applying it to the new game. The characters are so much more memorable and a whole lot less stupid. Some of them can be total bastards though. Kuroyukihime is a goddess. She just is. I wont take no for an answer.

watching castle of cagliostoro. Let's see how great it is.

Damned right it is Dog. You gonna watch it and you gonna love it.

&#9834;Puriti de kyua kyua Futari wa Purikkyua&#65374;!&#9834;

I started watching Smile Precure in May 2012 because of posts here at AnimeGAF. It's been just over 2 1/2 years...

Futari wa Pretty Cure Max Heart 47 END

Despite Max Heart being kinda crap, this was a pretty good final episode. I mean, it wasn't Splash Star good, but it was okay. The Dark King is finally revived. White and Black have final battle with a powered-up Circulas, Uraganos, and Viblis. They win, but it takes all the power they have, and their bracers get destroyed. Baldez gloats and they spend a bit feeling sorry for themselves, before finally psyching themselves back up and receiving the power of life again, restoring the bracers. Baldez becomes the new Dark King and beats the crap out of them again. They feel sorry for themselves some more, but then they realize this is the final battle, so they better go all out. Shiny Luminous finally returns with the power of the Queen and charges up one final Extreme Luminario MAX and Baldez/Dark King is defeated. Honoka and Nagisa have another sad because they think Hikari sacrificed herself to become the Queen, but Hakari shows up at Akane's Tako Cafe and introduces them to her younger brother Hikaru (previously the Dark King's Life). Mipple, Mepple, Porun, and Lulun are all their too, hurray!

529 episodes of the Precure metaverse later...well I'm not finished, but I am caught up.I watched Smile -> Dokidoki -> Heartcatch -> Fresh -> Yes -> Yes GoGo -> Futari wa -> Splash Star -> Suite -> Max Heart and I've watched up to Episode 43 on HappinessCharge.

Still have a little cinematic mop up work left. The Smile movie, the Dokidoki movie, and the All-Star DX movies. I watched the New Stage movies because they were centered around characters of the shows I was currently watching, but I decided to save the DX movies until I'd watched the other series. Smile and Dokidoki, I just never went back and watched the movies, since by the time the movies were available, I'd already moved on to the next series. With the rest of the series, I was able to watch the movies during the series.

I may try to marathon the last five movies tomorrow, and then I will render my FINAL VERDICT!! (dun dun dun!) on the Precure series. SPOILER: Of course Shiny Luminous gets my pick for Best Precure.
j/k

Oh my GOD why did you watch that :(
Are you bleeding from the ears? Any strange pain or injuries?
*hugs you tight

I'm going to make my order from RightStuf soon. Here's what I'll be getting.

Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail: $16
El-Hazard: The Wanderers: $14
Evangelion, Neon Genesis CD Soundtrack: Refrain of Evangelion: $5
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: Solid State Society: $10
Hellsing TV Volume 4: $12 for the Seras Figurine
Hellsing Ultimate: Complete series is $77
Infinite Ryvius: $20
Kamichu OST: $2
Martian Successor Nadesico: $24
Mazinkaiser/Shuten Doji Double pack: $8
Megazone 23: $15
Paranoia Agent OST: $5
Revolutionary Girl Utena OST: $2
Spice and Wolf: $22
Soul Eater BD: $30
Summer Wars: $12
Wolf Children: $14

Total of the wills: $288

The "We'll get it for you!" for Princess Tutu turned me off. It would likely screw over getting the package before Christmas. I'll probably stream it on Anime Network however.

Excluding tax, it's just below my $300 budget.

cajunator

Banned
the unfortunate thing about most of that rightstuf sale is I own a lot of it and I paid full price for it. But when youre collecting I guess you dont think about that too much.

Ventara

The Secret World of Arrietty

Another great movie from Studio Ghibli. Not as good as Princess Mononoke, but great nonetheless.

Anyways, thoughts on the movie. Crazy Haru is crazy; she's always blocking the driveway and squinting evilly. The scene where
Sho puts in the kitchen
completely scared me. Thought that was going to turn into a horrible death scene. The scene near the end where
Sho and Arrietty team up to save the mother
was awesome! Seeing them work together like that was cool and I wish there was a bit more of it in the movie. Spiller is cool. Wish I had a giant berry to eat.

cajunator

Banned
The Secret World of Arrietty

Another great movie from Studio Ghibli. Not as good as Princess Mononoke, but great nonetheless.

Anyways, thoughts on the movie. Crazy Haru is crazy; she's always blocking the driveway and squinting evilly. The scene where
Sho puts in the kitchen
completely scared me. Thought that was going to turn into a horrible death scene. The scene near the end where
Sho and Arrietty team up to save the mother
was awesome! Seeing them work together like that was cool and I wish there was a bit more of it in the movie. Spiller is cool. Wish I had a giant berry to eat.

Great movie. Suffers from a bit weak ending but overall very solid considering how recent it was. I dont remember who directed Arrietty though but he's talented.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
SAO S2 23

I thought this was the last episode for a moment, but then I remembered it can't end without doing the THING...

Log Horizon S2 11

Still better than Sword Art.

Terraformars 12
Looks like somebody knows the secret of the steel ball's spin.

Well, one more episode to go.
Oh man, if this gets another season...

Castle of Cagliostoro
I don't think I can do the movie justice as far as reviewing goes. I mean I'll try.It didn't feel like a traditional Miyazaki film, and apparently it was his directorial debut. If so, he struck gold on the first try. I was somewhat familiar with Lupin III and the basic premise of the main characters and their relationship so I wasn't completely lost. But it really was an adventure in the most traditional sense of the film. If I may compare the feeling of watching this to something else, it'd have to be that it has a somewhat Indiana Jones tone to it.

The characters were the highlight. They all had this Whedon-esque charm to them that personally I never felt in another Miyazaki/Ghibli film. I don't know what it is with me and the group of chaotic good/neutral cast of characters, but most of my favorite anime do revolve around a ragtag team down on its luck. It's not even about it being relatable, but they simply just work the best in writing.

The plot isn't necessarily something original. The tale of the rogue and the royalty has been done plenty of times. But this is one of those cases where the execution is what matters. And in this case it was magnificent. No scene felt wasted and everything was shot as to give the situation at hand the best view. So it's just as much praise to the writing as it is to the directing and animation. One particular scene I enjoyed was the one where Lupin and Jexh- err Jigen are out in a bar discussing what to do next and they have a plate of spaghetti (pictured above). As they're having a discussion they start battling over it and the scene itself went from what could have been two men discussing to something more that breaths life to the characters, and it even gives somebody like me who isn't entirely familiar with their relationship more of an understanding on their character. There's also other fantastic scenes such as the scene where
they're sneaking through the aqueducts
., and even the opening
driving chase and hotel fight scene
The direction and animation on these scenes and throughout the film tells me their role, personalities and skills through non-verbal communication. Frankly it'd be hard to not give credit here to Miyazaki as not knowing how in depth the screenplay was I will have to assume it was largely the director's though I could be wrong.

The direction they decided to go with the henchmen was also particularly wonderful. The way they moved and reacted to their surroundings had this robotic-like quality that was just downright eerie, to the point I genuinely felt scared for the characters every time they had to deal with them.

As to Lupin himself I am reminded once again why I love the dashing rogue. The air Lupin gives, combined with his swagger, his utter goofball charm, the high luck stat and the mastery of the disguise and gadgets makes me realize that we don't have enough of these leads in today's anime. Most of everything is so god damn serious or too fucking silly. Gintoki and Spike Spiegel are the closest I can think off the top of my head as two characters that did the dashing rogue fantastically as well. And both of those shows aren't airing. The scene where
the princess tells him she wants to go with him
and you see the pain, both physical and emotional, in his actions and expressions as he tries to restrain himself from acting on his urges was fucking brilliant and I also want to praise Miyazaki here particularly as I found myself giggling quite a lot.

My biggest complaint of the film would probably have to be that Jigen and Goemon were criminally underused, but that's coming from somebody who hasn't watched much of the anime so I wanted to see more of them. But when your biggest complaint is "I wanted to see more of these characters because they deserve the screen time" then you know you have a good film, particularly if the rest of the characters on film were also amazing.

I give the Castle of Cagliostoro a 10/10 and the Woofdawg seal of approval. I doubt there are many more outside of myself in this thread who had pushed off this film for this long, but if you haven't go watch it. You're in for a treat. It's available on Hulu on decent quality.

And now comes the question I was dreading because fucking A' I didn't want to jump into another show that has this many years on the air and probably hundreds of episodes: I ask of thee fair AnimeGAF, which seasons, films, tv specials or episodes of Lupin III should I watch. For the sake of my heart I hope that the answer isn't "all of it" because that's a lot of content and overwhelming. It doesn't mean I won't watch it all, but god damn that's a ride.

cajunator

Banned
Selector Infected WIXOSS 3

This is the Game of Thrones of Yugioh.

I...I want to watch this now. Im holding you partly responsible.

Castle of Cagliostoro

I don't think I can do the movie justice as far as reviewing goes. I mean I'll try.It didn't feel like a traditional Miyazaki film, and apparently it was his directorial debut. If so, he struck gold on the first try. I was somewhat familiar with Lupin III and the basic premise of the main characters and their relationship so I wasn't completely lost. But it really was an adventure in the most traditional sense of the film. If I may compare the feeling of watching this to something else, it'd have to be that it has a somewhat Indiana Jones tone to it.

The characters were the highlight. They all had this Whedon-esque charm to them that personally I never felt in another Miyazaki/Ghibli film. I don't know what it is with me and the group of chaotic good/neutral cast of characters, but most of my favorite anime do revolve around a ragtag team down on its luck. It's not even about it being relatable, but they simply just work the best in writing.

The plot isn't necessarily something original. The tale of the rogue and the royalty has been done plenty of times. But this is one of those cases where the execution is what matters. And in this case it was magnificent. No scene felt wasted and everything was shot as to give the situation at hand the best view. So it's just as much praise to the writing as it is to the directing and animation. One particular scene I enjoyed was the one where Lupin and Jexh- err Jigen are out in a bar discussing what to do next and they have a plate of spaghetti (pictured above). As they're having a discussion they start battling over it and the scene itself went from what could have been two men discussing to something more that breaths life to the characters, and it even gives somebody like me who isn't entirely familiar with their relationship more of an understanding on their character. There's also other fantastic scenes such as the scene where
they're sneaking through the aqueducts
., and even the opening
driving chase and hotel fight scene
The direction and animation on these scenes and throughout the film tells me their role, personalities and skills through non-verbal communication. Frankly it'd be hard to not give credit here to Miyazaki as not knowing how in depth the screenplay was I will have to assume it was largely the director's though I could be wrong.

The direction they decided to go with the henchmen was also particularly wonderful. The way they moved and reacted to their surroundings had this robotic-like quality that was just downright eerie, to the point I genuinely felt scared for the characters every time they had to deal with them.

As to Lupin himself I am reminded once again why I love the dashing rogue. The air Lupin gives, combined with his swagger, his utter goofball charm, the high luck stat and the mastery of the disguise and gadgets makes me realize that we don't have enough of these leads in today's anime. Most of everything is so god damn serious or too fucking silly. Gintoki and Spike Spiegel are the closest I can think off the top of my head as two characters that did the dashing rogue fantastically as well. And both of those shows aren't airing. The scene where
the princess tells him she wants to go with him
and you see the pain, both physical and emotional, in his actions and expressions as he tries to restrain himself from acting on his urges was fucking brilliant and I also want to praise Miyazaki here particularly as I found myself giggling quite a lot.

My biggest complaint of the film would probably have to be that Jigen and Goemon were criminally underused, but that's coming from somebody who hasn't watched much of the anime so I wanted to see more of them. But when your biggest complaint is "I wanted to see more of these characters because they deserve the screen time" then you know you have a good film, particularly if the rest of the characters on film were also amazing.

I give the Castle of Cagliostoro a 10/10 and the Woofdawg seal of approval. I doubt there are many more outside of myself in this thread who had pushed off this film for this long, but if you haven't go watch it. You're in for a treat. It's available on Hulu on decent quality.

And now comes the question I was dreading because fucking A' I didn't want to jump into another show that has this many years on the air and probably hundreds of episodes: I ask of thee fair AnimeGAF, which seasons, films, tv specials or episodes of Lupin III should I watch. For the sake of my heart I hope that the answer isn't "all of it" because that's a lot of content and overwhelming. It doesn't mean I won't watch it all, but god damn that's a ride.

Told you it was doggone glorious.

Damn it see what you made me do?

mewarmo990

Neo Member
fate/stay 10

Never mind the fact that we've been fed the same bullshit excuse why she hasn't simply taken Emiya out of the Holy Grail War for, I dunno, at least four episodes before the writers made it so abundantly clear these two were going to be allies, we still have to deal with Rin being a complete fuckwit that for some reasons sees fit to leave her Servant at home like he's a pet instead of her primary means of survival in a clandestine mage war that could claim her life at any minute, now Emiya pulled a typical sh&#333;nen power up that conveniently allowed him to fight off a mage that rekt Saber.

Your rage is delicious. But yeah, some of your complaints are valid.

Realtalk, the main reason behind your feeling that "Zero is better than Fate" is that Zero was written as a complete novel series (by a different writer), while this anime is an adaptation of one possible storyline of a visual novel.

So some characters are not getting enough development because it happens in a different storyline. In other cases your assumptions about character motivations are wrong, but the problem is with the adaptation for not being able to show the internal monologues that you would get in text format. Like the reason behind Rin's leniency towards Shirou has only been hinted at in the anime, but you should be able to figure it out if you've seen Zero.

Shirou is stupid in all scenarios though. That's a character trait of his that I have to agree with you on.

However, I'm surprised you think the pacing here is bad when Zero's first season was filled with mostly just exposition. Do you need Rin to explain everything to you and hold your hand? Would that make you feel better?

Finally, you're heavily mistaken about the franchise's reputation. It has a very positive reputation. Perhaps you heard things about the old anime adaptation, which was pretty terrible.

Shergal

Castle of Cagliostoro

You could check out the original season. It has a different tone to it, less light-hearted and more true to the original manga (at least at the beginning; Miyazaki and Takahata take over around ep 10 and start veering the show to the direction you ultimately see on Cagliostro).
I guess some choice eps from the second season too. The episodes done by Telecom are the best, it's essentially the same team that made Cagliostro. These are 72, 77, 82, 84, 99, 105, 143, 145, 151, 153, 155. The last 5 are episodes made after they'd gone and produced Caglistro, with 145 and 155 being directed by Miyazaki himself and being widely considered the best TV eps in the franchise.
Other than that... I guess you could watch the Mamo movie, but the rest of the franchise is more hit and miss. There's nothing quite like Cagliostro.

It's a family trait.

But I still love her.

dad tohsaka didn't even get a chance to appear competent though. possibly the dumbest character in F/Z next to melon man.

edit: I would probably like Rin more if it wasn't for the fact that her Fate incarnation is 1000x better. she's actually incredibly competent and doesn't fail hilariously at important moments, plus she spends most of her free time messing with shirou and/or telling him how much he sucks (can never get enough of that). UBW Rin is garbage in comparison imo

You could check out the original season. It has a different tone to it, less light-hearted and more true to the original manga (at least at the beginning; Miyazaki and Takahata take over around ep 10 and start veering the show to the direction you ultimately see on Cagliostro).
I guess some choice eps from the second season too. The episodes done by Telecom are the best, it's essentially the same team that made Cagliostro. These are 72, 77, 82, 84, 99, 105, 143, 145, 151, 153, 155. The last 5 are episodes made after they'd gone and produced Caglistro, with 145 and 155 being directed by Miyazaki himself and being widely considered the best TV eps in the franchise.
Other than that... I guess you could watch the Mamo movie, but the rest of the franchise is more hit and miss. There's nothing quite like Cagliostro.

Appreciated. Saving this post for later.

TheRancor

If it's like the UK release, the video is quite bad though not as unacceptably appalling as the DVDs were. Even the Japanese release was a fairly naff transfer especially with them mastering it at 1080i (presumably they just used old HDTV/DVD scans)
Stole this from somewhere about the original JP Blu-ray
The Cowboy Bebop Blu-ray footage come in four kinds:
– True 1080p film scan. The quality is excellent but shows a lot of grain. Fortunately, most parts of the series are made of these.
– Smooth 720p film scan. Less crisp than the 1080p scans, but still good. Shows a bit of noise reduction. Episode 3 is mostly made of these footage.
– Sharp 720p film scan. Grainy and much closer to the 1080p look than the smooth-720p sort, but shows terrible halos. Lot of them in episodes 14 or 24.
– Various forms of upscaled SD video. They show halos, noticeable aliasing (especially on the CG parts) and sometimes noise looking like dot crawl or color banding. Some parts seem to have been processed in a very ugly way (episode 23).

Theonik

I was watching some of BlueSakuga's videos, and I saw a bunch of Precure stuff. Why has nobody informed me that Precure has some cool as fuck fight sequences goddamn
People has said this before. You just haven't been listening!
Toei still employs some very talented people. They just happen to be working for Toei unfortunately.

Hell yes to both. Ryvius is great and Hirai's character designs weren't as terrible back then (or offset by competent staff like Ueda). Only criticism to Nadesico is that it's not BD, but at a $24 pricetag the DVDs are an absolute steal (some of us got them at only 40% off). About the only complaint I have is that they did not use the superior tomboy illustration for the bonus card they gave out with the set.

(also Tutu is great, the question should be the other way around)
Ara ara I'll be in my bunk.

This is why I watch anime.
image.php

Animeigo says Bubblegum Crisis blurays have started shipping! Who else is excited????
I hope they are not terribad. The 'patrons' and not knowing Animeigo scare me.

Stole this from somewhere about the original JP Blu-ray
The Japanese BD is definitely presented in 1080i. And I am not sure if it's significantly better, but the UK version at least suffers from significant motion artefacts especially if your player isn't up to scratch.

Theonik

Why would they scan it in four different ways?
The CG parts were digitally mastered. Then other parts were done on film. Then I'd guess they had parts where the film was hard to find.
But it was a pretty lazy release, comprising of a collection of old scans by the looks of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom