• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 |OT2| Idly waiting for the Dog Days of Sabre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoraxes

Thank you based KyoAni.

All these Amagi/Sento Christmas goodies are wonderful.

Have a transparent Sento (I didn't do this).

1418434512964kkusx.png
The current animu haul as of today

Good man. I'm placing my order on Thursday. Just going for KoikeLupin, TWGOK I + II, FMA: B parts 1 and 2, I think. I still had KLK V3, Bebop, and Onimonogatari this month.

Clov

All dem amagi pictures

I somehow feel kyoani has never pandered this hard before.

Has Haruhi Suzumiya already been wiped from our collective memories?

It's more fanservice filled than Free, but it's not the worst they've done.

cajunator

Banned
Accel World - 4

Wow, I really did not see that coming for this show.

I haven't seen a love confession scene like that happen this early in an anime in a long time. I really hope the two of this stick with this romance throughout the series and that it doesn't turn into harem or love triangle garbage later on because I really thought that scene was well done.

Second, I also wasn't expecting who Cyan Pile's identity turned out to be. This should be a really interesting match, and could potentially set up a good rivalry for the series.

This was a really well-done episode.

Theres really never any competition for Kuroyukihime. Chiyo kind of likes Haru but more as a friend.
it never goes into a stupid harem mode.

Good man. I'm placing my order on Thursday. Just going for KoikeLupin, TWGOK I + II, FMA: B parts 1 and 2, I think. I still had KLK V3, Bebop, and Onimonogatari this month.

Did otorimonagatari ship yet?

I had to leave some things off because I was like "yo, make these muh gifts" since I was already spending a shitload of money, may as well shave off close to 100 dollars off of how much I would've spent

Thoraxes

Did otorimonagatari ship yet?
Not yet (It's Onimonogatari (Shinobu Time), Otori was in October). KLK was super early though as far as Aniplex stuff goes.
I had to leave some things off because I was like "yo, make these muh gifts" since I was already spending a shitload of money, may as well shave off close to 100 dollars off of how much I would've spent

Ah, understandable. I wish I still got presents for Christmas lol.

Not yet (It's Onimonogatari (Shinobu Time), Otori was in October). KLK was super early though as far as Aniplex stuff goes.

I just wish I didn't spend quite as much so I could have more to spend on others gifts. Because right now, all I really have to offer is Persona Q for my cousin.

cajunator

Banned

Yeah thats the one. Klk vol3 shipped out already. Should be here Thursday.
so did Gurren lagann pt2

Cowboy Bebop 01

Incredible. One of the strongest first episodes I've seen from anime. The drug reminded me of Dredd's slowmo, slowing down time with that rush of adrenaline. They did an amazing job with the side characters we only see for that one episode. I genuinely felt pity for the woman being dragged around by that scum bag.

They really sold the setting with incredible backgrounds and worn out spaceships. The western bar and the old man complaining about his work to the guys who know all too well was an excellent touch. The film noir opening was intriguing and dare I say foreshadowing some tragic end.

I get a great vibe from Spike. He takes his job seriously but has that humour injected into him that makes him one of those loveable bad asses. Nothing over the top but subtle enough that gets you really attached to his character.

Overall it is a very strong start. I'm looking forward to watching more.

Question: I watched the first episode with the English dub. Is this the right way to go?

Cowboy Bebop 01

Incredible. One of the strongest first episodes I've seen from anime. The drug reminded me of Dredd's slowmo, slowing down time with that rush of adrenaline. They did an amazing job with the side characters we only see for that one episode. I genuinely felt pity for the woman being dragged around by that scum bag.

They really sold the setting with incredible backgrounds and worn out spaceships. The western bar and the old man complaining about his work to the guys who know all too well was an excellent touch. The film noir opening was intriguing and dare I say foreshadowing some tragic end.

I get a great vibe from Spike. He takes his job seriously but has that humour injected into him that makes him one of those loveable bad asses. Nothing over the top but subtle enough that gets you really attached to his character.

Question: I watched the first episode with the English dub. Is this the right way to go?

I assume this is your first watch if so congratulations, you are watching what is arguably one of the most influential, if not arguably one of the best, anime ever made. Personally it's my favorite and has always been, never been dethroned.

As to your question of dub, the show is also known for having one of the best dubs around, and frequently cited by pro-dub folks when they want to argue about anime that are arguably made better by the dub. It basically made the career of Spike's VA (also the voice of Tom from Toonami)

jgminto

Cowboy Bebop 01

Both are good if you aren't overexposed to Blum. I'd just watch the first ep both ways and go with what you like more.

cajunator

Banned
Cowboy Bebop 01

Yes. I met all the VAs in person before. Lotsa talent. One of the best dubs available. Actually better than the japanese voices.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
addendum to my WIXOSS ep12 impressions: after watching selector spread WIXOSS ep1, my speculation on what Iona's objectives were ended up being way off base.
Apparently, she wasn't interested in toppling the WIXOSS goddess at all: she's a battle-addicted berserker and accordingly, her wish was simply to become the LRIG of a player stronger than her so that she could experience even more intense combat. She enjoyed mindfucking Ruko so much with the bizarre accusation that Ruko enjoyed playing the game TOO MUCH that now she gets to antagonize her over it forever.
So much for her being the Homura!

Looks like I'll be re-watching the first episode in Japanese to compare. I certainly don't mind, it's a fantastic episode. And yes this is my first time watching it.

cajunator

Banned
Looks like I'll be re-watching the first episode in Japanese to compare. I certainly don't mind, it's a fantastic episode. And yes this is my first time watching it.

Honestly considering the very western look and feel of the show the dub almost seems like the natural fit.

Clov

Influential?
How so?

Not sure, to be honest. A lot of Bebop fans assume because it's very popular in the West, it influenced a lot of stuff in Japan. I just don't see it, personally.

Not to hate on Bebop or anything; I love it, it's a great show. Not one of my favorites, though.

Narag

Bebop the Cowboy is very... noninfluentual, actually, in the scheme of things.

Always sort of thought it influenced stuff within its own little Watanabe sphere (Champloo, Dandy) with the stuff that influenced Bebop being what's truly influential.

When did the "Otaku culture" truly begin? There has been cutesy things like Hello Kitty since the 70s. Although cute =/= moe for moe is a thing of its own.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
When did the "Otaku culture" truly begin? There has been cutesy things like Hello Kitty since the 70s. Although cute =/= moe for moe is a thing of its own.
Otakus have been around since Evangelion. Cutesy stuff is something else that I'm not entirely sure of when it started.

Dead

well not really...yet
Some would argue Eva cemented what would become the current otaku mold, which is ironic as that was so far against Anno's original intentions, but in regards to the idea of an anime otaku, thats been around since anime itself.

addendum to my WIXOSS ep12 impressions: after watching selector spread WIXOSS ep1, my speculation on what Iona's objectives were ended up being way off base.
Apparently, she wasn't interested in toppling the WIXOSS goddess at all: she's a battle-addicted berserker and accordingly, her wish was simply to become the LRIG of a player stronger than her so that she could experience even more intense combat. She enjoyed mindfucking Ruko so much with the bizarre accusation that Ruko enjoyed playing the game TOO MUCH that now she gets to antagonize her over it forever.
So much for her being the Homura!

Ahaha.

Spread is total madness and you are going to love it.

Influential?
How so?

Not sure, to be honest. A lot of Bebop fans assume because it's very popular in the West, it influenced a lot of stuff in Japan. I just don't see it, personally.

Not to hate on Bebop or anything; I love it, it's a great show. Not one of my favorites, though.

Bebop the Cowboy is very... noninfluentual, actually, in the scheme of things.

Apparently wrong word choice. I meant it as it impacting the west and being one of the big shows that increased the anime craze. But I used the word with no research and only personal evidence from living in Colombia as a kid and seeing the effect shows like Bebop, DBZ, Saint Seiya, that one soccer one, Ranma 1/2 had in popularizing anime.

Regardless Bebop is awesome and a big name anime in the West. Maybe not so much in Japan. But they also like KyoAni down there, what do they know
:p

edit: and yeah Evangelion I don't recall the timeline. I think that came to SA later than the rest of these shows, or around the time of Bebop. Another big anime down there.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
selector spread WIXOSS ep2:

Remember Akira, the ur-Okada psychopath fashion model who tried to STAB RUKO TO DEATH IN A WAREHOUSE because she failed to become an Eternal Girl and her desire to be more beautiful than Iona resulted in her getting a giant scar on her face?

Well, SHE'S BACK AND STILL FUKKEN NUTS.

This time, though, there's sweet schadenfreude because she's getting played like a total chump by Ulith, Iona's LRIG who inhabited Iona's body after Iona became Ruko's new LRIG. As mentioned in a previous post, it turns out that Iona's wish was to become the LRIG of an even stronger WIXOSS player so that she can experience more intense battles. To this end, Ulith is obligated to fulfill Iona's wish and does so by using various methods to coax duelists into fighting Ruko.

The first and most obvious WIXOSS player ripe for manipulation? Akira, of course. Akira FUCKING DESPISED Iona to the point that her Eternal Girl wish entirely revolved around being more beautiful and successful than Iona. We're shown that Akira has apparently been living in seclusion since losing her beautiful face; this changes when Ulith-in-Iona's-body arrives with a VAN FULL OF MAKEUP and convinces Akira to cover over her scar. Ulith attempts to further gain Akira's trust by falsely confessing that she admired Akira while she was still Iona's LRIG.

This leads to what is undeniably two of the most Okada minutes ever:

http://a.pomf.se/uosyot.webm

Like, seriously, I don't even know what to say after this.
Akira falls in love with Ulith, but the moment that she finally goes deredere and tells Ulith that her heart is healed, Ulith scolds her because HER HATRED was what made her beautiful. Akira begs forgiveness for betraying Ulith's expectations, and Ulith states that Akira can redeem herself by dueling Ruko.

ULITH SEDUCED A CRAZY GIRL IN THE BODY OF THAT GIRL'S WORST ENEMY FOR THE SOLE PURPOSE OF TURNING HER INTO FODDER TO FEED HER WORST ENEMY'S TRADING CARD ADDICTION. Amazing. I can only hope that Akira descends to even deeper levels of psychopathy when she finally realizes that she's still being used by Iona.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Apparently wrong word choice. I meant it as it impacting the west and being one of the big shows that increased the anime craze. But I used the word with no research and only personal evidence from living in Colombia as a kid and seeing the effect shows like Bebop, DBZ, Saint Seiya, that one soccer one, Ranma 1/2 had in popularizing anime.

Regardless Bebop is awesome and a big name anime in the West. Maybe not so much in Japan. But they also like KyoAni down there, what do they know
:p

edit: and yeah Evangelion I don't recall the timeline. I think that came to SA later than the rest of these shows, or around the time of Bebop. Another big anime down there.

Point taken, it certainly was instrumental in popularizing anime in the west.

Ventara

Sword Art Online 2 Episode 15

So we have the start of a new arc. Kirito and his harem of waifus (and husbando Klein) are off to search for Excalibur. I like Sinon's new look, though I miss her badassery from early on. But that would mean less opportunities for Kirito to save her, and we can't have that. Also, it looks like they've pretty much cut out Egil from the show.

Anyways, here's a screencap of the waifu harem.

And of Leafa's ass.

wonzo

Banned
Movies and shorts were only top 5 last year. Maybe increase that to a top 10 list as well?
i still think i'd be easier to do a top 15-20 with points deducted for missing numbered entries or something

I don't think I could think of/remember that many, let alone put them in list form.
should be p. easy if we're still including shows that started airing last year but had eps run into this one too

Mature

Cowboy Bebop ran constantly for a decade on American TV, which is more than can be said about nearly any other anime save something like DBZ. It wasn't influential in the same way something like Ghost in the Shell or Akira was, but I'm sure it left it's mark on a certain generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom