• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 |OT2| Idly waiting for the Dog Days of Sabre

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
Top 10 list for TV shows

Top 5 list for OVAs/shorts

Top 3 list for movies

Done.
what counts as a short and a movie tho? is it based on runtime or method of distribution?

i think having one big lists stops the dumb semantic handwringing that usually comes with having different categories. makes thing simpler

madp

The Light of El Cantare
what counts as a short and a movie tho? is it based on runtime or method of distribution?

Method of distribution feels more logical to me. Movie = anything that was first distributed theatrically. Short/OVA = anything that was first distributed on television/online/non-commercial exhibition/direct-to-retail.

I'm not sure where Anime Mirai specials would fall as I'm honestly not sure how they premiere before disc release.

Mature

i think having one big lists stops the dumb semantic handwringing that usually comes with having different categories. makes thing simpler
But mixing films and shorts in with TV series... wouldn't they just get completely drowned out? I'd almost want the sub category for the sake of the exposure they'd get as a result of having their own category.

wonzo

Banned
i think any show which ran episodes this year as well as last year should be made invalid if they appeared in last years top ten to give new stuff time to shine

Method of distribution feels more logical to me. Movie = anything that was first distributed theatrically. Short/OVA = anything that was first distributed on television/online/non-commercial exhibition/direct-to-retail.

I'm not sure where Anime Mirai specials would fall as I'm honestly not sure how they premiere before disc release.
p. sure anime mirai stuff was aired in theatres before it was streamed and released elsewhere. this also brings into question how things like wonder fit into this…

But mixing films and shorts in with TV series... wouldn't they just get completely drowned out? I'd almost want the sub category for the sake of the exposure they'd get as a result of having their own category.
i don't think so at all really. i also feel like having them in a separate category makes them out to be lesser works

Ventara

Sword Art Online 2 Episode 16

Some nice RPG fighting in this episode, though the mid-boss' looks were underwhelming. Kirito & co. pick up an NPC waifu to fight with them on their way to the boss, and the boss turns out to be a giant old pervert. Not much really happened this episode. Everything was just following your standard script for this clearing a dungeon, so it was kinda boring.

Uc4M2Cf.png

Poor Klein. He doesn't even realize his body already belongs to Kirito.

Branduil

Having one huge list means all the niche shorts and movies get drowned out. A top-20 list would just mean that crap like SAO and Trigger's Chuunibyou end up on the list.

I don't think it's that hard to separate the categories, it's only a very small number of anime where it's unclear.

i think any show which ran episodes this year as well as last year should be made invalid if they appeared in last years top ten to give new stuff time to shine

I'm okay with this only because it'd mean no KLK.

wonzo

Banned
Having one huge list means all the niche shorts and movies get drowned out. A top-20 list would just mean that crap like SAO and Trigger's Chuunibyou end up on the list.

punishing peeps that only vote for a handful of things would solve this imo

I'm okay with this only because it'd mean no KLK.
Now you're getting it!

But then only bad GBF would get votes and not good GBF.
the failure of gbf last year entering the top five is a stain we must live with and learn from

plus why the fuck would anyone vote for try when god king tomino graced us meagre plebs with g-reco?!

Clov

did any of the anime mirai stuff get translated outside of harmonie and that shitty looking chronus one?

Like, in general? Most of them have been subbed, though I haven't run into Parol's Future Island.

My personal favorite of all of them is Wasurenagumo. It's best going into that one blind.

Ventara

Sword Art Online 2 Episode 17

lol, didn't see that coming. Anyways, Kirito & co. obviously defeat the boss (seriously, all he did was punch and breath cold wind) and Kirito pulls out Excalibur, and they all escape the dungeon as it starts to crumble.

Lol at Kirito trying to store Excalibur while hugging Leafa. The guy just doesn't give a fuck. Not being able to store it or wield it, what does he do? Toss it to one of his buddies? No. He doesn't. He throws it into the cavern below him where the lake used to be, the act that caused this whole incident in the first place. Wtf was he thinking? Thankfully, Sinon the badass retrieves it with a stringed bow and gives it to him again. Sinon scoring some major waifu points right there.

And is Klein hugging sparkles?

Back in real life, they throw a party, and guess who isn't invited?

Agil. He even closed down his cafe to let you guys celebrate in peace. And it's not like he's not there.

They're not even letting him sit down. Just stand in the background, perfectly still. At this point, I feel like they're bullying him. What do they have against the black man? Is he too old? And that Hammer that Klein got which he has no use for? I wonder if there's anyone who uses a hammer as their main weapon? Oh, right! Agil! But nooo, can't give it to old, bald Agil. And of course, he doesn't make the group shot. Do they ever let him play with them?

The end of this arc. Overall, kinda boring. No character development. No exciting fights or dangerous bosses. Nothing too funny. Just a predictable little adventure.

Clov

i mean this years ones. i'm p. sure everything else has been translated

For this years ones, Future Island is the only one I haven't found translated. It's a bit frustrating. Hope that the 2015 ones are done more consistently.

Rhapsody

Banned
Inou Battle 11

Cliffhanger at the end, one more episode to go. I know everyone probably doesn't like it, but it was a surprise hit of the season for me. I didn't think much of it early on, but I started getting attached to the characters later on. Andou actually turned out to be a pretty intelligent person when separated from his chuunibyou side.

And I still haven't caught up with SAO. Did they already do Mother's Rosario?

Dog Days S2 4-7

Ahh I remember these episodes. Some of my favorites in the series due to the new characters that were introduced in this string of episodes and the adventures they go in during said episodes.

~wan

wonzo

Banned
Harmonie

harmonie.jpg

It's cool to see Yoshiura's take on "The nail that sticks out gets hammered down" through the lense of childish hyper creativity (which borders on that word i shall never mutter). A masterfully executed short that doesn't feel like it overstayed it's welcome or vice versa.

the idea that parents would take their child to a psychologist over an innocuous dream is laughable but maybe they were merely worried she'd turn into a ln author…

in which case give them a damn medal

Mokoi

Banned
I think I dropped too many shows to fill out a proper top 10 list
I'm having a hard time remembering ten shows that i finished. Only one I can think of is ping pong, and I'll have to do a quick re watch once the others come to mind.

Edit: Ah yes would Hunter × Hunter count? It did air this year after all?. Found the answer after reading previous pages.

Prototype

Watched Little Witch Academia tonight and thought it was great. Such a cool world. Like the animation style and the rivalry of Akko and Diana . Also Sucy with her potions was really great and mixed up the witch theme nicely.

Read about the kick starter for another episode and am waiting for it, hope it does well and they do a full length movie.

In bad news I tried The Eccentric Family, and didn't care for it much. Watched the first 2 episodes, but it didn't pull me in. I didn't hate it but I'm going to shelve it for now and look for something else.

TUSR

Banned
Watched Little Witch Academia tonight and thought it was great. Such a cool world. Like the animation style and the rivalry of Akko and Diana . Also Sucy with her potions was really great and mixed up the witch theme nicely.

Read about the kick starter for another episode and am waiting for it, hope it does well and they do a full length movie.

We all have been.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm pro splitting episodic shows from one offs and movies. Don't know about splitting that later category again into two since movies and OVAs and whatnot tend to be watched less, Though increasing it to five it probably a good idea, three was a bit too tight last year.

Prototype

We all have been.
I hope they go movie route over TV series.

Not only will a movie have higher production values but, and more importantly, movies leave some of the mystery alive whereas sometimes a tv series can kill that off by giving you too much information/time in a particular world.

Like Howls Moving Castle for instance; perfect as a movie and left me wondering about the world and what other characters and locals inhabit it. It gives you a lot but hints at a wider world.

Little Witch Academia did this as well for me, the scene in Akko's room, filled with all sorts of knickknacks, the dungeon and it's many levels and the treasures they refer to, or how we learn, in passing, that Akko wasn't raised by witches. It all creates this sense of a world larger then life.

Voices of a Distant Star did this for me as well.

TUSR

Banned
I hope they go movie route over TV series.

Not only will a movie have higher production values but, and more importantly, movies leave some of the mystery alive whereas sometimes a tv series can kill that off by giving you too much information/time in a particular world.

Yeah it would be nice to have more LWA, I think a movie as the third installment would be a good way to wrap it up. All really depends on Trigger's work load.

wonzo

Banned
Lupin III - Daisuke Jigen's Gravestone

lupiniiijigensgravestone.jpg

compared to the failure called fujiko mine this was an infinitely more refined work both aesthetically and thematically. i'm glad they set up future sequels at the end so here's hoping they give fujiko another chance without okada & yamamoto at the helm

Is Mysterious Girlfriend X worth viewing? I'd like the AnimeGAF perspective.

Dunno, it may be somewhat unique and its strangeness somewhat alluring but I simply lost interest 4-5 episodes in and can't see myself continuing it at some point. I may have even read up the story synopsis...but even that I can hardly remember :<

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Why? Makes more sense to give them special attention in their own category, unless you think that will get them ignored more.
There are way more shorts/OVAs/movies that I want to vote for than there are TV shows that I want to vote for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom