• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 |OT2| Idly waiting for the Dog Days of Sabre

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCG

Dairugger XV - 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYMEts2ASEY

Better known as Vehicle Voltron (a.k.a. the Voltron Most People Didn't Watch).

I'm randomly trying this obscure thing because I remember someone telling me this was supposed to be better than Beast King GoLion (I tend to doubt that, but who knows?). The first episode of this is...a little ponderous in pacing and sort of boring. Not too much technobabble by sci-fi anime standards and perhaps not an unusual first episode for a space-based Super Robot show, but also not too much to get excited over. What little I remember of Voltron had better music, which could be a problem after a while.

The design for the Dairugger is nice enough, I suppose, and the animation seems average for the era and genre involved. It was mildly amusing to see them try to deal with a 15 (!) pilot giant robot, which is something you don't see every day, although they'll be hard-pressed to handle a cast of nominal good guys that large without keeping the majority of them in the background.

On the funnier side, I did chuckle at seeing someone called "Dick Asimov" here. But you all know how it goes with Japan and their naming schemes.

Jarmel

Banned
Idolm@ster-8
ibmNssAYM4jCGI.jpg

#dead
That Keiichi Ishida cut was fucking phenomenal.

Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere 01
Aerial city-ships are great.

Just a rewatch since I bought the BD. I remember I considered dropping this series just from the first episode, and rewatching, despite the fact that I enjoy it more now, I don't disagree with how I thought. A mishmash of ridiculous character designs and a seemingly incomprehensible setting. Since the episode itself was mostly one loooong chase/fight scene, it was at least fun to watch and the OST was great as well. As a rewatch, it felt nice knowing exactly what they were talking about though, and it was neat seeing the season 2 cast making an early appearance that I didn't notice before.

It's also a bit interesting that they chose to localize this as "Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere" when the eyecatch in the show itself uses "Horizon on the Middle of Nowhere".

Day 11 of the RightStuf holiday sale is up The notables are...

El-Hazard: The Wanderers: $14
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood BD: $28
Fullmetal Alchemist: OVA collection: $8
Godzilla VS Gigan and Godzilla vs. Hedorah: $6 for BD, 4 for DVD
New Fist of the North Star: $5.25
Tears to Tiara: $31.50 for BD, $24.50 for DVD

Nothing that interesting today, at least for my tastes.

JCG

I will never stop loving how old mecha OP's have the name of the titular mech as the refrain.

Yeah, I like that too. It's one of those quaint yet charming elements that became rarer and rarer.

I assume the nature of business arrangements with the record labels has changed somewhat over time.

That's how you know it's good.

Perhaps, although Gunbuster's OP is one of the notable exceptions to this rule.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MlyEFK3iSM

For some reason they did make a more classic style theme for the OST though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUMeDDMziAs

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

Clov

so what are you guys favorite anime OP/EDs this year?

In no particular order:

OP: Terror in Resonance, Ping-Pong, Kokkuri-san, SeHa Girls, Mushishi, Nozaki-kun, Hanayamaya, Space Dandy, Jojo's, Barakamon
ED: Terror in Resonance, Ping-Pong, Space Dandy, Free! Eternal Summer, Tokyo Ghoul, Jojo's, Fate/Stay Night

JCG

Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere 01

Just a rewatch since I bought the BD. I remember I considered dropping this series just from the first episode, and rewatching, despite the fact that I enjoy it more now, I don't disagree with how I thought. A mishmash of ridiculous character designs and a seemingly incomprehensible setting. Since the episode itself was mostly one loooong chase/fight scene, it was at least fun to watch and the OST was great as well. As a rewatch, it felt nice knowing exactly what they were talking about though, and it was neat seeing the season 2 cast making an early appearance that I didn't notice before.

That sounds like a common experience. I also tried to watch this during the original broadcast and found the cast very entertaining but the world setting too impenetrable, even with the exposition, for me to keep up without losing track of things. I'm sure it could be easier with a Wiki or during a rewatch.

Shengar

also, my GF was watching spice and wolf a while back , and I kind of got into it. Not so much the romance part but the business part, the way he handles his business dealings and explains things, and sets up market conditions, ect was really cool and fun to watch. never thought a anime about a trader would be interesting but I was proven wrong.

Horo's wittiness and sexiness helps a lot.
S3 never ;__;
Also since you like scifi I would like to recommend Dennou Coil

Shengar

Spice and Wolf did have some very intriguing economics.

Execution and delivery matters too. No matter how interesting the subject, if you do it via straight exposition with monotone narrator, the audience will fall asleep fast. The dynamics between Horo and Lawrence that makes supposedly boring subject becomes engaging.

cajunator

Banned
Execution and delivery matters too. No matter how interesting the subject, if you do it via straight exposition with monotone narrator, the audience will fall asleep fast. The dynamics between Horo and Lawrence that makes supposedly boring subject becomes engaging.

Have you seen Maoyuu Maou Yuusha? It has a similar dynamic and some of the same staff, but I would say the chemistry isnt as strong. Its still worth a watch.

Mature

OP: Ping Pong, Garo, Space Dandy, Nozaki, JoJo, Barakamon
ED: Barakamon, Terror in Resonance, Space Dandy, Ping Pong

I'm sure there's some I'm missing.

Have you seen Maoyuu Maou Yuusha? It has a similar dynamic and some of the same staff, but I would say the chemistry isnt as strong. Its still worth a watch.

the manga is the better bet. I heard that the anime version was not that great, but I have no say on it cause i never watched it.

Jarmel

Banned
OP: Space Dandy, Haikyuu 1, Kill La Kill 2, Ping Pong, Nozaki-kun, Barakamon, Garo, Your Lie in April

ED: Ping Pong, Kill La Kill 1, Terror in Resonance

Shengar

I only watch three episodes (also read the Kotowaru manga), and I can say while it have the same cast, it doesn't have the similar dynamics and lesser quality of the original content. Even the Kotowaru manga quality become waning as it goes on due to wrong focus.

JCG

the manga is the better bet. I heard that the anime version was not that great, but I have no say on it cause i never watched it.

They tried to cover too much in too little time, but I'd say it's more disappointing than bad.

Still might be worth a watch if you like the first couple of episodes, the characters or subject matter. Just don't expect closure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom