• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 |OT2| Idly waiting for the Dog Days of Sabre

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi-scool seha girls - 11
This episode featured EVERYTHING I HATE FROM the current phantasy star and shining force series.

Impressive, nailing it like that

Mature

9fGUrCw.gif
Can I just post this gif instead of my AOTY list?
Well, strictly speaking, while Shirobako has a fair amount of comedic moments I think it's probably contains plenty of drama as well.
Some of the scenes featuring Tarou could be considered horror.

Mitch

Banned
It's about what you would expect from one cour show. Main plot generally moves at a brisk pace after meandering a bit at the beginning.
Good deal. The last show I watched that was shorter than 24 episodes was Anohana. I was worried about feeling a little unfulfilled once it was done, but it definitely delivered.

cajunator

Banned
I still haven't even gotten to the critically acclaimed rugby episode yet. I haven't found an anime with consistent humour like this since Nozaki-Kun. Speaking of, I should really get back to finishing that some time.

Ooh, I remember really liking this set of episodes. The
final battle with EI-01 is one of my favourite scenes from the show.

I really hope it stays that way.

Accel World - 5

Okay, this show just accelerated itself into awesome territory.

I really hope they don't retcon the romance between Haru and Kuroyukihime at all in this series because with this and the last episode I really like the romance between these two. She told him why she loved him, and even went so far as to sacrifice 99% of her points to save Haru's life.

So seeing him stand up to someone he considered a good friend to protect her really was a good move by the writer. They could have just made him the standard bad guy who'd be there just so Haru could show off his husbando status a la Kirito. But no, making it Taku and having the fight between him and Haru was some really decent character development for the both of them.

One question though, is Kuroyukihime going to be another C.C. case where we never know her real name?

In any case though, I'm really into this show now after this episode.

Told you it was more competent lol.
anyway yes unfortunately the only name we can assign to that cutie is Kuroyukihime. Princess snow black.

e_i

To Love Ru Darkness episode 1-2

Wow, the lewd levels are through the roof on one. I guess this whole season is going to be about Yami and Momo?

wonzo

Banned
if tv shorts and gonna be forced to compete with higher budget ovas then im not voting at all this year

I feel like that would just result in people filling up their list with terrible anime, worsening the problem.

people couldn't even follow the simple rules last time so i doubt this

Noragami - 10

This felt more like the early episodes, which is a good thing. It's gearing up for the end with all these attempted murders going on.
I don't think the 'villain' has had any buildup to serve as a worthy final boss as of yet, with only 2 more episodes to go. I think Yato might take advantage of the situation that happened in the end, and with it fix what has been Hiyori's problem since the start.

Narag

Cowboy Bebop 8

I've always been ambivalent towards this episode and I've never been sure why. Even re-watching it, I still lean that way although nowadays I suspect there's a degree of importance in how Spike uncharacteristically invests himself into the outcome of things as he likely sees flashes of his own past in the Rocco/Stella relationship.

Mitch

Banned
Cowboy Bebop 8

I've always been ambivalent towards this episode and I've never been sure why. Even re-watching it, I still lean that way although nowadays I suspect there's a degree of importance in how Spike uncharacteristically invests himself into the outcome of things as he likely sees flashes of his own past in the Rocco/Stella relationship.
One of my favorite episodes for sure.

Mature

if tv shorts and gonna be forced to compete with higher budget ovas then im not voting at all this year
But your solution was to put them all in the same pot. Then you'd have an even wider disparity in budgets.

Last year we grouped Movies and OVAs and that seemed fine? Why not make it:

Top 10 list for TV shows

Top 5 list for OVAs/Movies

Top 3 list for shorts

This works since it roughly fits how many new works of each category we see per season.

Started watching Accel World 01~05
Interesting contrast between the main character and his avatar. Same with the first episodes presentation. I'm curious enough to keep watching for sure, but the story will have to sell me because the designs of the people being fought is pretty weak. mono colored bad guys... ugh.

Din't really want an action show and did not think thats what I was getting so... don't know if I want to hold off or just burn through it.

"Shorts are a garment worn by both men and women over their pelvic area, circling the waist and splitting to cover the upper part of the legs, sometimes extending down to knee but not covering the entire length of the leg."

Gundam Build Fighters Try 11

Fumina and Sekai singing ANIME JA NAI in the car killed me.
I was upset that we got yet another cocky pair of assholes who will amount to nothing to start with, but then the real fighter showed up. I think we got a glimpse of future fighters at the end of the fight too. I assume the triplets will use a mobile armor. I'm glad Team Try Fighters got blown the fuck out, it needed to happen.
I kinda wanted Nils to be in the episode a bit more, and am sad we didn't get to see Caroriiiiiiiiiiine~ though.
Show is definitely improving, imo. A good episode all around.

I refuse to give Ping Pong a chance because the art style offends me on a personal level.

~wan

Alright, you deserve to be bullied.

wonzo

Banned
Last year we grouped Movies and OVAs and that seemed fine? Why not make it:

Top 10 list for TV shows

Top 5 list for OVAs/Movies

Top 3 list for shorts

This works since it roughly fits how many new works of each category we see per season.
top 10 for shows and a top 10 for movies/shorts/ovas seems much fairer. having anything less for shorts and movies makes them out to be lesser works which is complete shit when shorts and movies this year have been far higher in quality compared to the piddling crap produced for tv

cajunator

Banned
selector spread WIXOSS ep2:

Remember Akira, the ur-Okada psychopath fashion model who tried to STAB RUKO TO DEATH IN A WAREHOUSE because she failed to become an Eternal Girl and her desire to be more beautiful than Iona resulted in her getting a giant scar on her face?

Well, SHE'S BACK AND STILL FUKKEN NUTS.

This time, though, there's sweet schadenfreude because she's getting played like a total chump by Ulith, Iona's LRIG who inhabited Iona's body after Iona became Ruko's new LRIG. As mentioned in a previous post, it turns out that Iona's wish was to become the LRIG of an even stronger WIXOSS player so that she can experience more intense battles. To this end, Ulith is obligated to fulfill Iona's wish and does so by using various methods to coax duelists into fighting Ruko.

The first and most obvious WIXOSS player ripe for manipulation? Akira, of course. Akira FUCKING DESPISED Iona to the point that her Eternal Girl wish entirely revolved around being more beautiful and successful than Iona. We're shown that Akira has apparently been living in seclusion since losing her beautiful face; this changes when Ulith-in-Iona's-body arrives with a VAN FULL OF MAKEUP and convinces Akira to cover over her scar. Ulith attempts to further gain Akira's trust by falsely confessing that she admired Akira while she was still Iona's LRIG.

This leads to what is undeniably two of the most Okada minutes ever:

http://a.pomf.se/uosyot.webm

Like, seriously, I don't even know what to say after this.
Akira falls in love with Ulith, but the moment that she finally goes deredere and tells Ulith that her heart is healed, Ulith scolds her because HER HATRED was what made her beautiful. Akira begs forgiveness for betraying Ulith's expectations, and Ulith states that Akira can redeem herself by dueling Ruko.

ULITH SEDUCED A CRAZY GIRL IN THE BODY OF THAT GIRL'S WORST ENEMY FOR THE SOLE PURPOSE OF TURNING HER INTO FODDER TO FEED HER WORST ENEMY'S TRADING CARD ADDICTION. Amazing. I can only hope that Akira descends to even deeper levels of psychopathy when she finally realizes that she's still being used by Iona.

The more crazy shit Okada writes into these stories the more I love her. Seriously. Shes fucking insane and its amazing.

lol no, but knowing how early that stuff comes, I don't doubt it'll ship really soon.

For once its all by itself since the other stuff shipped so it should ship when yours does!

I don't think I'm even gonna vote. Don't feel like I'd have an informed opinion.

Im gonna vote. Why not!

There's certainly only one good GBF!

Well thats true. The current GBF just isnt grabbing me like the other one did. I think the formula ran its course.

more Bad Aria?

Watched Little Witch Academia tonight and thought it was great. Such a cool world. Like the animation style and the rivalry of Akko and Diana . Also Sucy with her potions was really great and mixed up the witch theme nicely.

Read about the kick starter for another episode and am waiting for it, hope it does well and they do a full length movie.

In bad news I tried The Eccentric Family, and didn't care for it much. Watched the first 2 episodes, but it didn't pull me in. I didn't hate it but I'm going to shelve it for now and look for something else.

Sucy da best!
LWA was really fun and although I probably spent too much on that LE version I still think it was worth it for the book that came with it. gorgeous packaging.

So glad I took the plunge when cdjapan was still giving away free bags. I didn't expect to get one for each BD! They all look so nice.

Almost regret not getting another so I could make a Simpsons joke.

Nice pickups! Also very cute avatar :)

Madoka Rebellion, technically. Since it didn't "qualify" for last year's vote.

BEST

This would be my vote for movie. If it counts anyway. I didnt see it till the BD release.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
PLEASE BE BLURAY!
This show is something else. Its depressing AS FUCK but I like it for some reason.
Hope they get the OVA too.
Good to see it coming back though. Chise figurine maybe?! I want that so bad.

Via ultimatemegax:

WILL WATCH

Aniplex got Saekano: How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend
http://www.saekano.com/

Simulcast starts 1/8 and it's on Crunchyroll, Hulu and Aniplex

I dunno what this is about though.

Narag

Cowboy Bebop 9

Huh, I'd completely forgotten every bit of this ep past that it introduced Ed. The rogue A.I. element lets it fit neatly in with the other strange "Monster of the Week" episodes. What stood out most was the mind blowing set piece at the end when the team assaults the satellite. Very evocative of Macross Plus.

Narag

top 10 for shows and a top 10 for movies/shorts/ovas seems much fairer. having anything less for shorts and movies makes them out to be lesser works which is complete shit when shorts and movies this year have been far higher in quality compared to the piddling crap produced for tv

Who is even running it this year? Whoever actually does the work should get to make the decisions!

Branduil

I wouldn't mind this as a compromise. I just don't want movies and shorts getting drowned out by TV shows.

Mature

top 10 for shows and a top 10 for movies/shorts/ovas seems much fairer. having anything less for shorts and movies makes them out to be lesser works, especially when shorts and movies this year have been far higher in quality compared to the piddling crap produced for tv
I don't think it makes them out to be lesser works at all. It's just a matter of context. Again, you can't reasonably compare works like Ai-Mai-Mi and Giovanni's Island. Isn't this pretty much the status quo for any sort of award festival? Best pic— Oh he got banned.

Who is even running it this year? Whoever actually does the work should get to make the decisions!
Yeah, this works. Haha.

Interesting contrast between the main character and his avatar. Same with the first episodes presentation. I'm curious enough to keep watching for sure, but the story will have to sell me because the designs of the people being fought is pretty weak. mono colored bad guys... ugh.

Din't really want an action show and did not think thats what I was getting so... don't know if I want to hold off or just burn through it.

Accel World is pretty amazing, its Light Novels also.

Cyan Pile / Taku is the best still.

phaze

Noragami - 10

This felt more like the early episodes, which is a good thing. It's gearing up for the end with all these attempted murders going on.
I don't think the 'villain' has had any buildup to serve as a worthy final boss as of yet, with only 2 more episodes to go. I think Yato might take advantage of the situation that happened in the end, and with it fix what has been Hiyori's problem since the start.

The villain does get a fair share of time devoted to him in the last two eps. Enjoy Tanaka goodness in the finale.

cajunator

Banned
My homubros.

Anime Movie of the Year belongs to Homura and no one else.

This is true

Really for a semi major franchise, that staff list is the biggest 'wut' moment I've had in a long ass while.

I disagree really. I prefer to wait until at least a Pv to see whether it has potential or not. Right now its just a list of names.
Thats never good indication that a show will be bad.

Once I finish catching up with Always Sunny and rewatching Cowboy Bebop, I really need to check out a number of these shows. Towards the end of October I was watching Sword Art II, Log Horizon 2 and Akame ga Kill.

I'm pretty far behind, since I haven't seen an episode since the week of October 31st.

Any of the Fall shows take priority?

Shirobako, Parasyte, and Twintails.

Didn't ADV have Saikano back in the day, so this is basically just renewing the old license?

Nah that was Viz. One of their few redeeming qualities.

To Love Ru Darkness episode 1-2

Wow, the lewd levels are through the roof on one. I guess this whole season is going to be about Yami and Momo?

Any season all about Momo is a great season!
Also yes TLRD basically pushes the envelope of what they can get away with.

Its not always action. Theres actually a lot of it spent on training or simple battles or the drama between Haru and others.
When the action does happen though its pretty good.
As for mono colored baddies, well they are members of different factions who all have a specific color so that can explain a lot of it.

Oh no not the sanctity of our precious anime popularity contest

I know seriously. Who cares who wins these things? Im voting for Twintails!

I'm only now realizing that the only anime movie I'm going to watch that came out this year is Pokemon.

And Naruto.

But that one won't be available for awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom