• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 |OT2| Idly waiting for the Dog Days of Sabre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Two pages into this conversation and did nobody think about coming to the conclusion that: "It's the future, maybe the sinks and mirrors can have their heights adjusted somehow?"

Told you it was more competent lol.
anyway yes unfortunately the only name we can assign to that cutie is Kuroyukihime. Princess snow black.

Answer for spoiler : YES

The characters knows it , but the audience doesn't.that won't budge unless we get a AW S3

Really? Like, I know they probably want to let our imagination handle all the work a la
Code Geass, but didn't she say in episode 5 that she wanted to go on a first-name basis with him or something? Like, is he still going to call her "Senpai" and "Kuroyukihime" even though she told him that calling her by her first name is okay? Not a deal-breaker for the show don't get me wrong, but it just seems a little odd, is all.

It's all anime so it's all gonna be bad anyway, ya like what ya like.

Anyways, just watched the Chaika finale and damn I couldn't help myself, I lost it when
Niva just totally dips on Gaz and is like "I have personality."

That's definitely the best statement in anime this year.

Chaika S2 Ep. 10 (FINAL)

Man, that was abrupt as hell. This show could have used just one more episode or two. Not sure why this was only a 10 episode season :/

Biggest disappointment was
Frederica being such a jobber. Such wasted potential, it was just one long sequence of blue balls. I also dont believe Gaz is dead so theres plenty of room for another season.
Just cant get over how rushed it was suddenly. Its like some crazy Shirobako director storyboard fuckup happened considering how well paced the first 6-7 episodes were.

Regardless, this is definitely one of my favorite anime of the year. Fantastic ride, great world, awesome characters. I love how Red Chaika is still hanging around, and she makes a cute little red riding hood-ish. Akari's obsession with Toru is still funny, and that gag wont get old. I'll also miss Chaikas...Chaika speak!

Damn need S3 please :(

Anyways, just watched the Chaika finale and damn I couldn't help myself, I lost it when
Niva just totally dips on Gaz and is like "I have personality."

Free Niva.

Really? Like, I know they probably want to let our imagination handle all the work a la
Code Geass, but didn't she say in episode 5 that she wanted to go on a first-name basis with him or something? Like, is he still going to call her "Senpai" and "Kuroyukihime" even though she told him that calling her by her first name is okay? Not a deal-breaker for the show don't get me wrong, but it just seems a little odd, is all.

You misunderstood , that stuff right there is for when the two are alone
her name is not a secret , her classmate obviously know it and she is the student president , so it is know. Her aura and popularity gave her that nickname that you will hear relentlessly.

and you think the author will let this out , think again , since
you'll have plenty of nicknames to get throught first. The name is apparently a Big clue for other things that we know but the characters don't . it is mostly related to the universe accel world share with another anime :)

You misunderstood , that stuff right there is for when the two are alone
her name is not a secret , her classmate obviously know it and she is the student president , so it is know. Her aura and popularity gave her that nickname that you will hear relentlessly.

and you think the author will let this out , think again , since
you'll have plenty of nicknames to get throught first. The name is apparently a Big clue for other things that we know but the characters don't . it is mostly related to the universe accel world share with another anime :)

That reminds me. Does this show really take place in the same universe as SAO does? I didn't see anybody in SAO wearing a Neuro Linker! Oh man, does this show take place in the future of SAO's universe? IS KIRITO THE DEVELOPER OF BRAIN BURST?!?

Yeesh, five episodes and already timeline and alt universe theories are rambling in my brain.

One question though, since this show is based off of a LN that's apparently ongoing as far as I know, does this show end on a big cliffhanger? Or does it end on a satisfying enough note without leaving too much open?

screenshot-3031tru30.png

Such a beautiful moment.

Almost makes me want to support the two.

Jarmel

Banned
How is it? I've been waiting for it to get on Netflix but apparently it doesn't get there till like next year

First season was heavily mixed, it's super episodic(and not the good kind) until near the end. Season 2 has been pretty good so far.

It's like watching Batman with guns run around in a suit in NYC.

That reminds me. Does this show really take place in the same universe as SAO does? I didn't see anybody in SAO wearing a Neuro Linker! Oh man, does this show take place in the future of SAO's universe? IS KIRITO THE DEVELOPER OF BRAIN BURST?!?

Yeesh, five episodes and already timeline and alt universe theories are rambling in my brain.

One question though, since this show is based off of a LN that's apparently ongoing as far as I know, does this show end on a big cliffhanger? Or does it end on a satisfying enough note without leaving too much open?

Yes , it's the same universe , roughly 20 years later Sao starts in 2024 , AW in 2046 , the timeline is mostly know and set now. The thing is that there is a significant portion of the timeline separating the 2 series , meaning many things can happen.

Kirito
is most likely NOT the devellopper of brain burst, all the signs point elsewhere. However he was involved in things regarding the tech brain burst uses The arc regarding this issue in Sao is NOT over yet so i can't disclose more information

Best you don't think about both series, they are different and should be thought on their own terms , there are few nodes here and there that you can catch but that's it. you won't get to form theories until AW get more episodes animated .

The AW anime does end on a satisfying arc but since the LN is still ongoing too , don't expect everything to be answered, you'll get some answers & hints but you should just focus on the world building, right now

PuPiPo

Isn't this a bit much for an 11 year old to take? Isn't this a bit much for a kids show?

I thought this was nice and cute for the most part, other than the times where it got dark and "adult". Though not in the way it usually is.

Link Man

Banned
Just finished watching Pani Poni Dash. Alright show, sometimes hilarious, sometimes a bit too out there. Did enjoy Himeko, especially in the dub.

Fall season of anime always makes things awkward for AotY voting because the best shows from fall of one year frequently get into both the AotY voting for the year the aired and for the year they finished in. Just look at 2013 and 2014 just going off top 10s alone From the New World and Jojo were in both and if you include top 20 I believe HxH and GuP both also made it (can't double check if there was more due to getting minus error messages in the 2013 thread). There is a good chance JoJo and HxH could end up in the top 10/20 again this year along with Kill La Kill and Gundam Build Fighters as they are all really good and didn't magically stop being good between when they finished airing in February/March and now.

There really is nothing wrong with Kill La Kill or GBF ranking again in the 2014 thread unless you want to change the voting to where it's Winter season - Fall Season where nobody can vote until the fall shows finish airing in Feb/March and have to ignore all the currently airing winter shows until the later year :X

Fall season of anime always makes things awkward for AotY voting because the best shows from fall of one year frequently get into both the AotY voting for the year the aired and for the year they finished in. Just look at 2013 and 2014 just going off top 10s alone From the New World and Jojo were in both and if you include top 20 I believe HxH and GuP both also made it (can't double check if there was more due to getting minus error messages in the 2013 thread). There is a good chance JoJo and HxH could end up in the top 10/20 again this year along with Kill La Kill and Gundam Build Fighters as they are all really good and didn't magically stop being good between when they finished airing in February/March and now.

There really is nothing wrong with Kill La Kill or GBF ranking again in the 2014 thread unless you want to change the voting to where it's Winter season - Fall Season where nobody can vote until the fall shows finish airing in Feb/March and have to ignore all the currently airing winter shows until the later year :X

I want to vote for GBF s1 and Samurai Flamenco but really have no clue how to judge them or where to put them because of that.
I watched so much garbage I will probably have to stretch to top 20 to fit in shows like D-Frag and Sabagebu!, and I could hardly think of a top 10 for GOTY.
Need to get my goddamn priorities straight.

Just looked up the Winter 2015 anime season and aside from the Log Horizon 2 and Your Lie in April continuations, not really looking forward to anything other than Saenai Heroine no Sodate-kata and Aldnoah-Zero 2.

To be fair, the winners were already decided long ago so we don't really need to bother with a poll or thread.

aoty2014.jpg

Besides, I already spent £4k commissioning the trophy.

Oh yeah. I forgot the second season came out this year. Now to find where to put in my AOTY list

I want to vote for GBF s1 and Samurai Flamenco but really have no clue how to judge them or where to put them because of that.
I watched so much garbage I will probably have to stretch to top 20 to fit in shows like D-Frag and Sabagebu!, and I could hardly think of a top 10 for GOTY.
Need to get my goddamn priorities straight.

I generally have the problem of trying to figure out what to cut from my top 10 for both AotY and GotY, I thought I was good with AotY until Chiaka botched it's ending and now I have a hole in my list. I probably should go watch S2 of Silver Spoon that would probably fix that problem.

Just looked up the Winter 2015 anime season and aside from the Log Horizon 2 and Your Lie in April continuations, not really looking forward to anything other than Saenai Heroine no Sodate-kata and Aldnoah-Zero 2.

If you get rid of season 2's/continuations the only shows at all on my radar are Assassination Classroom, Death Parade, and that Yatterman series. Maybe there will be a diamond in the rough but looking at anichart most of these new shows look like anime equivalent of direct to dumpster in the world of American movies.

Joe Molotov

PuPiPo

Isn't this a bit much for an 11 year old to take? Isn't this a bit much for a kids show?

I thought this was nice and cute for the most part, other than the times where it got dark and "adult". Though not in the way it usually is.

Kids are going to learn sooner or later how
ghost
babies get made.

cajunator

Banned
Chocotto Sister Advent Calendar Day 17

Yurika, you really oughta know by now that Choco has no interest in romance. Her tsundereness is becoming cute, and the return of the kids from the kindergarten was an alright callback. I was hoping for more Chitose, though. Always more Chitose.

Kiddy Grade 04-06

Episode 5 was my favorite of this batch. Having Eclair and Lumiere get caught up in two separate, yet related plots, and end up regrouping without planning on it to foil both of them made for some fun writing. Episode 6's plane hijacking and 4's sexy wrestling both had their appeals. It really feels like Eclair's at the front of the show. Perhaps it's because her abilities are better suited for it, while Lumiere's really more of a support type.

man I wish Kiddy Grade had blurays.
such a colorful palette and unique art. The eye design was only used in one other series, Uta Kata.
like any proper Gonzo production, this show is very episodic until the meat of the story comes into play in a few episodes. Its a heck of a ride though. Political drama, lots of backstabbing, twists and a slew of fun characters to come from all levels of GOTT. Id love to watch it again if my plate wasnt so full.

Ah, that's good. It caught my attention, but wasn't really sure if it was worth putting time into. I'll give it a shot.

Its positively droolworthy!

Two pages into this conversation and did nobody think about coming to the conclusion that: "It's the future, maybe the sinks and mirrors can have their heights adjusted somehow?"

Yeah he calls her senpai a lot. Its weird but what can you do?

Chaika S2 Ep. 10 (FINAL)

Man, that was abrupt as hell. This show could have used just one more episode or two. Not sure why this was only a 10 episode season :/

Biggest disappointment was
Frederica being such a jobber. Such wasted potential, it was just one long sequence of blue balls. I also dont believe Gaz is dead so theres plenty of room for another season.
Just cant get over how rushed it was suddenly. Its like some crazy Shirobako director storyboard fuckup happened considering how well paced the first 6-7 episodes were.

Regardless, this is definitely one of my favorite anime of the year. Fantastic ride, great world, awesome characters. I love how Red Chaika is still hanging around, and she makes a cute little red riding hood-ish. Akari's obsession with Toru is still funny, and that gag wont get old. I'll also miss Chaikas...Chaika speak!

Damn need S3 please :(

Free Niva.

Blame Kadokawa for this!

It ends quite satisfactorally but more could easily be made. Lots of details could be further explored or better explained.

man I wish Kiddy Grade had blurays.
such a colorful palette and unique art. The eye design was only used in one other series, Uta Kata.
like any proper Gonzo production, this show is very episodic until the meat of the story comes into play in a few episodes. Its a heck of a ride though. Political drama, lots of backstabbing, twists and a slew of fun characters to come from all levels of GOTT. Id love to watch it again if my plate wasnt so full.

I have to second this , the lack of kiddy grade blu-rays is a sin.

Hyouka not being localised doesn't even compare to this.

Gundam build fighter Try - 11

I guess the show has removed the gloves and it more up-front about things.. because that episode was very good , i think this is the best episode so far and next week episode should be HYPE INCARANATE.

Damn that was good.

Beefeater

Banned
Mononoke 1-10

My god. This show is amazing.
Such an overlooked gem. I hope you watched Ayakashi: Bakeneko as well, it's one of the best Medicine Seller stories.

If you get rid of season 2's/continuations the only shows at all on my radar are Assassination Classroom, Death Parade, and that Yatterman series. Maybe there will be a diamond in the rough but looking at anichart most of these new shows look like anime equivalent of direct to dumpster in the world of American movies.

Good picks, though I'd two more: Binan (magical boys) since it's by the director of School Rumble, Gintama and Nichibros. Doesn't seem very high budget and I don't like the character designs much, but it's an anime original so magic could happen. And Yuri Kuma Arashi is by Ikuhara (Utena, Penguindrum) so it will certainly be interesting.

Have you watched the Death Billiards short yet? I have and it's a personal favorite. Therefore Death Parade gets most of my anticipation.

Sakura

Twintails Episode 10

What is the budget per episode 100 dollars? This is just awful. This is a show where the selling point should be the girls, but they look like their faces are melting.

I generally have the problem of trying to figure out what to cut from my top 10 for both AotY and GotY, I thought I was good with AotY until Chiaka botched it's ending and now I have a hole in my list. I probably should go watch S2 of Silver Spoon that would probably fix that problem.

What are the Sequel's/Continuations that you're gonna watch?

Or maybe... Maybe it gets worse.

They should release a Twintails galge I want to date Tail Red.

I recall reading in a TTGL article that the most time/effort/budget are spent on the beginning and end of most anime, hence my previous post. So it's possible that things won't look this bad by the last couple of episodes or so.

jman2050

It's funny that Shirobako talks about Jiggly Jiggly Heaven and in the same season we somehow get a show that demonstrates exactly what they were talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom