• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 |OT2| Idly waiting for the Dog Days of Sabre

Status
Not open for further replies.
My RightStuf order got delayed because they don't have Spice and Wolf in stock right now. I called them and they said that they would ship what is in stock on Monday but I'm kinda worried it won't be here by Christmas. Really wish I now called yesterday so it could have been shipped today.

Branduil

Shirobako 11

ik9jhq13DXuN.jpg
ibaZJ24fiFqsVM.jpg

i9Q7QuMktjMOk.jpg
iNAj4gP1Z8KMT.jpg

The dream sequence near the end killed me. Really hyped for the next episode if they actually follow up on that ending.

Midonin

Chocotto Sister Advent Calendar Day 18

All Nekonyan Dance, all the time! Everyone in the cast got to do something, there was cuteness, and plenty of Chitose. Even Yurika had her dere side come out a little more. This one is probably the one that best encapsulates the series as a whole, though I say that with a good chunk of episodes left.

jman2050

Shirobako 11

In which episode 13 has no key animators requiring Aoi to run around like a headless chicken, Aoi reflects upon her tons of failed interviews eventually leading her to Musani, Yano goes catatonic, Tarou is useful by accident, Musani (with Aoi) interviews a bunch of new people who all seem equally ill-suited for the job (that girl with the hair highlights was cute, she should be hired), and Aoi continues to grow progressively more mentally ill with more dream sequences. She does realize that The Little Match Girl had a bad ending, right?

This episode was great and it took every opportunity it could to shit on Tarou which makes me smile with glee.

Sakura

Gundam Build Fighters Try 09...

I like the show so far, but I kind of feel like there isn't enough focus on the blue haired dude thus far. It feels like the show revolves around Sekai-kun too much. Hoshino just seems relegated to heroine position (and I don't really like the Sekai x Hoshino) and blue dude is just kind of, I don't know, 'there'.

I don't like Sekai-kun's Gunpla either. The whole docking another part onto his fist, to essentially just make a bigger fist, is super lame to me, and it doesn't make any sense. Why not just start that way? Just make the fists bigger or stronger to begin with if that's what seems to win the day every time... I feel the cool moves or weapons and stuff used to win in the first series were a lot better.

I don't get the deal with Slegger. He's all, 'Your Jigen Kenpou crap won't work on me!' then Sekai goes and practices with what's their faces, and then, just easily wastes Slegger. Like what was all that talk about? He didn't do shit against Sekai's martial arts, aside from grab him once.

Also, who the hell is that shadowed figure in the OP Sekai is looking at? Is it Domon? It looks like Domon.

Mitch

Banned
For some reason I dropped The Devil Is a Part-Timer! about half way through. I get distracted and move on to other forms of entertainment way too often. Sinking a lot of my time into an MMO was the biggest issue.

I'll make a list of shows I dropped in the past year, since the majority of them were actually decent enough to continue watching.

phaze

Naruto Shippuden 394

Madara doing his best Sasuke impression.

Good episode, naruto-wise at least. That Rinnagan laser cannon came out of nowhere though. No wonder the entire alliance and 6 kages seem to have abondoned the field of battle. And where the hell is Orochimaru ? This is also second episode where Kakashi and Minato stand in place and do nothing while Zetsu goes about his business.

Oh and the eye transplantation was hilarious.

Ore Twintail ni Narimasu 04

q2zyd1ykc3.gif

Step aside Dandy, this is the true AOTY.

Pooya

Argevollen 24 END??????

the hell was that, that sure wasn't an ending. Lots of things happening off screen, hilarious. It was anticli... it was nothing. They can't seriously be considering a sequel, like it is heavily suggested, for a show that sold 200 copies or thereabout right? I guess there is a movie or something maybe it was too late to change the ending to something more conclusive. what a troll show.

With that said, there were some actually very good, subtle and silent scenes, pretty well done specially for this show but I'm not even remotely satisfied with this ending...

Psycho-Pass S2 - 11 [End]

Pizza for everyone. Well this season felt rather pointless.. but Sibyl evolved I guess. No Kogami, no zombie Makishima. Togane was probably the only character I found intriguing.
I thought season 1 was okay, but this.. I'm just glad it's over. I can't see bathroom signs without pondering what color I am. Atleast OP/ED was good.

Aria the Natural 04

A fantastic episode. This is the kind of episode that elevates Aria above all other SOL anime. Not only is it beautifully animated with lovable characters, it also gets you thinking about life and it's little intricacies.

The communication between one to another is one of the basis that makes us human. Communication has evolved with technology from digital mail to instant messaging to video messaging. But why do the people of Neo-Venezia prefer to use the tried and trued paper mail when they have the technology to colonize Mars? There is a feeling you just can't replicate with the digital age and I fear it will soon be lost. You're writing to someone who will receive your message days, maybe weeks later. You can't edit it, you can't take it back. As such you have to know what you want to say while you're writing and take the time to really convey your message with the words on the paper.

Within the digital age everything is instantaneous. As such it seems the human race has become a lot crueller. Maybe we were always cruel but the ease of sending hateful words across the web has made it much more apparent. It would be so nice if we could go back to the basics where we really have to think about what we're saying to one another. There is another person you are communicating to on the other end of the screen, choose your words carefully.

Midonin

Twintail 11

That was a really good episode. Souji's new life as Solar Metca may mean a betrayal of twintails, but he's bonding with Aika, and Erina... sort of. The moment where Twoearle gave up her old barrettes, the way a senior hero would give his weapon down to the red Ranger, was touching, in this series' logic. The part with Aika instructing Solar on hair care was also weirdly educational. Neither Mika Kanai nor Nobutoshi Canna have big Sentai roles - just a few MotW, and Spider Guildy has no toku roles at all - but the show just keeps on delivering. I really hope Arakawa can come back for Ninninger, that this show gets a second season, and that more toku-themed anime continue to come out in the future. Because when my interests collide, the world is a better place.

Kanon 1-4 - I'm doing it Mike! Since this season of shows haven't quite hit the end yet I need to fill up one more week with backlog stuff. I'll get the complaints out early, 1) Yuichi is going to bother me because he's not Kyon but yet he's totally Kyon, and 2) everyone's eyes are too far apart, creeps the hell out of me. Other than that, nothing really of note has happened in the first four episodes outside of everyone having various degrees of amnesia. I'll probably only get to a couple more episodes today, but I'll likely marathon through it tomorrow since its a work from home day and work tends to slow down during the holidays.

Kanon 1-4 - I'm doing it Mike! Since this season of shows haven't quite hit the end yet I need to fill up one more week with backlog stuff. I'll get the complaints out early, 1) Yuichi is going to bother me because he's not Kyon but yet he's totally Kyon, and 2) everyone's eyes are too far apart, creeps the hell out of me. Other than that, nothing really of note has happened in the first four episodes outside of everyone having various degrees of amnesia. I'll probably only get to a couple more episodes today, but I'll likely marathon through it tomorrow since its a work from home day and work tends to slow down during the holidays.

Enjoy the ride :D

Also, since I'm waiting on MGS:GZ to reinstall I'll post my impressions of Bamboo Blade since I just finished watching that yesterday.

Bamboo Blade END - I really enjoyed this show. Its mostly a standard after-school club, slice of life show, with the club being kendo. Most of the characters were great. Tama is adorable, though I think Kirino is a more interesting character, and Saya could have been fleshed out more. The other first year girls slightly less interesting. Kojiro is great, but it would have been nice to see him more "vindicated" by the end. Yuji was a great straight-man. But the real star of the show is Dan-kun. When he was first introduced I though "holy shit, I hope this guy doesn't get a lot of screen time, he's insufferable." Man was I wrong. Dan-kun was fucking fantastic. I also liked the fact that it wasn't a show about a bunch of goof-offs who have to learn to get serious because they're going up against all these dedicated, stone-faced opponents. The other teams are depicted as just as lackadaisical as the Muroe High team. They have a desire to win, but its not life-or-death seriousness, I feel its a more realistic representation about how people deal with high school sports. Overall, great stuff. Shame that the clear tease of another season never came to fruition.

Midonin

April 11

I've been getting some Sakurasou vibes from this show ever since it began, but with the running scene in this episode, this is the first time those vibes have been coming through really strong. So the first half of the show was about Kousei getting his mojo back, which the second half will be putting to better use. I know they're starting with the gala, but I can see Kousei winning one more competition with his revitalized self. Theatrical and sentimental, and yet, this episode really worked for me.

We'll meet again in the New Year, for another rare moment when I'm watching both NoitaminaA shows.

Argevollen 24 END??????

the hell was that, that sure wasn't an ending. Lots of things happening off screen, hilarious. It was anticli... it was nothing. They can't seriously be considering a sequel, like it is heavily suggested, for a show that sold 200 copies or thereabout right? I guess there is a movie or something maybe it was too late to change the ending to something more conclusive. what a troll show.

With that said, there were some actually very good, subtle and silent scenes, pretty well done specially for this show but I'm not even remotely satisfied with this ending...
Wow. Good on ya for finishing since I saw the vast majority of animegaf that started watching it dropped it early, including me. Following your impressions I'm glad I dropped it.

~wan wan

The Devil Is a Part-Timer! 13

The devil is in the details...

Things settle down again after all the action in the previous episode.

It's a perfectly decent show. Some comedy, some action and some romance. Not too bad, but not great either. Watched it for the comedy, so the Ente Isla stuff wasn't that interesting.

Amusing enough, so 3/5 MgRonalds caps:
gaw2h2I.png
gaw2h2I.png
gaw2h2I.png
ihejNwK.png
ihejNwK.png

cajunator

Banned
Climb S1 is going to expire at the end of the year.

Also pupa and the show with Sailor Mars and Gackt, but Climb is the most important one here.

Thanks for hte heads up. I checked out a few episodes finally and it really is short and easy to watch. I guess Ill have to work my way through it quickly, which should be pretty easy.

19ScEZj.png

oh twintails, still really like it.

Whaaaaat the hell i going on in this picture?

WIXOSS and BRS seem to be the only shows where she shines as a nutcase, otherwise things like True Tears and Anohana are just trash.

Anohana was enjoyable. True Tears I havent seen. I love nutcase Okada though!

Humanity has declined not doing it for me, Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace is though. Trigger can do no wrong it seems.

Sorry to hear you didnt like Jinrui. It is a rather odd series.

Alicia/Alisha is so cute.

Hnnnnng. You are correct. I dont know this game but shes a cutie!

Midonin

YuYuYu 11

That's one of the most pointed emotional reactions I've had to an anime this season.
When Karin activated her super mode, I almost immediately let out "NO!" And she did it more than once. She sacrificed herself so that Mimorin doesn't completely annihilate everyone. Such a powerful moment. Just... damn. Then you have Yuna's punch at the end.
I'm not sure how this is going to end - and how happy of an ending it's going to be. Keep in mind that Takahiro, the main creative writer behind this anime, also worked on Akame ga Kill!. (I like this better than Ayame, and without so much blood and gore, it makes its moments of horror even more effective.) But as a lover of magical girls, that moment of the power of friendship is what magical girl anime live to do. If Yuna and the Hero Club can live that long. But it's not about how much they suffer. It's about the catharsis when they find a way to stop it.

So deliver unto us a Hero for Christmas.

Yuki Yuna is a Hero - 11

I can't see how they can pull a happy ending out of this show.

Like, Karin's gone blind and deaf thanks to her going Mankai like, 4 times. The only one who can stop Togo is Yuna, and I'm not liking the sound of everyone calling her name in the preview.

At least in Madoka, there was the prospect of a wish being able to save everything. But here, there's none of that. ;_;

Only one more episode left. This has been quite the ride, and easily the biggest anime surprise for me this year.

StormKing

Yuuki Yuuna is a Hero 11

Karin please stop. No more mankai. Karin ...

Let's go back to the earlier episodes. I want the SOL back.

cajunator

Banned
Funny that they are still selling new Prism Nana goods on the next Comiket. There is even a new girl.

dat Pachinko money.

This still makes me so salty :(
We got some recent magical girl cuties again from other studios but I particularlyl iked these. Shaft played us man!

Shirobako 11

Seriously why Tarou is so lucky, now he even work with a moe new employee!

All the girls in this show are pretty moe though.

ok anime-gaf I need your help.

I marathoned Barakamon yesterday and completely fell in love with it. Need some suggestions for similar stuff or good slice of life anime in general :)

Usagi Drop is a great suggestion.

Looks very nice.

^^^

Sabre why are you saying wan after everything?

Look on page 1. He lost a glorious NFL bet and is now a super moe~ dog girl!

Naruto Shippuden 394

Madara doing his best Sasuke impression.

Good episode, naruto-wise at least. That Rinnagan laser cannon came out of nowhere though. No wonder the entire alliance and 6 kages seem to have abondoned the field of battle. And where the hell is Orochimaru ? This is also second episode where Kakashi and Minato stand in place and do nothing while Zetsu goes about his business.

Oh and the eye transplantation was hilarious.

Ore Twintail ni Narimasu 04

q2zyd1ykc3.gif

Step aside Dandy, this is the true AOTY.

Yup. Twintails despite its fault is the clear cut AOTY. So let it be written...

Also, since I'm waiting on MGS:GZ to reinstall I'll post my impressions of Bamboo Blade since I just finished watching that yesterday.

Bamboo Blade END - I really enjoyed this show. Its mostly a standard after-school club, slice of life show, with the club being kendo. Most of the characters were great. Tama is adorable, though I think Kirino is a more interesting character, and Saya could have been fleshed out more. The other first year girls slightly less interesting. Kojiro is great, but it would have been nice to see him more "vindicated" by the end. Yuji was a great straight-man. But the real star of the show is Dan-kun. When he was first introduced I though "holy shit, I hope this guy doesn't get a lot of screen time, he's insufferable." Man was I wrong. Dan-kun was fucking fantastic. I also liked the fact that it wasn't a show about a bunch of goof-offs who have to learn to get serious because they're going up against all these dedicated, stone-faced opponents. The other teams are depicted as just as lackadaisical as the Muroe High team. They have a desire to win, but its not life-or-death seriousness, I feel its a more realistic representation about how people deal with high school sports. Overall, great stuff. Shame that the clear tease of another season never came to fruition.

Bamboo Blade is another excellent little series that nobody ever talks about. It wasnt really special but it didnt do much wrong wither. Kendo shows up occasionally in anime but this show really made it look pretty cool. The art style is really cute also. The unfortunate thing is it kind of comes and goes and isnt particularly memorable. I guess thats why nobody discusses it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom