• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 |OT2| Idly waiting for the Dog Days of Sabre

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Can't say I was particularly fond of The Disappearance of Haruhi. It was well directed and animated but the characters and plot of the series that never managed to get me particularly excited didn't succeed in doing so in the movie either.

The Nagato character arc in the movie was pretty interesting, but that's just a small portion of an overlong 3 hour bloatfest about a bunch of dumb characters from a dumb series doing dumb things.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Disappearance of Suzumiya Haruhi is well made movie, and Tomokazu Sugita moisturize my ear for more than 2 hours, so there's that.

Vito

Banned
Oregairu S2 character designs http://moca-news.net/article/20141218/201412182000a/01/

tumblr_ngryv7g4lo1sqqtwzo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ngryv7g4lo1sqqtwzo2_1280.jpg

The Nagato character arc in the movie was pretty interesting, but that's just a small portion of an overlong 3 hour bloatfest about a bunch of dumb characters from a dumb series doing dumb things.

Yeh the plot was definitely a large step above the show in that regard (I mean holy fuck is e.g. the film shooting arc, or what you wanna call it, awful). However, Nagato is such a non-character to me, or more-so a non-human character
, which is well justified obviously,
that it didn't touch me on an emotional level at all.
Her being a "bibliophile humanoid interface" that we are then told has actually developed feelings because...well, their actual explanation aside, they can come up with just whatever the hell they want, was decently interesting for a plot point, but still left me 100% cold to her character. So it had little impact on me ultimately.

What are the Sequel's/Continuations that you're gonna watch?

All the fall anime still airing and jojo, both durarara and tokyo ghoul 2 are on my list but I need to see the former and am waiting for the later to air uncensored. Winter really looks like it'll be a back log season or a "go play games" season

Thoraxes

All the fall anime still airing and jojo, both durarara and tokyo ghoul 2 are on my list but I need to see the former and am waiting for the later to air uncensored. Winter really looks like it'll be a back log season or a "go play games" season

Oh man, i'm looking forward to winter way more than this current season we're in.

Guys Psycho-Pass 2 ends today!!!! Who's excited?! :)
I am ... i'm sure that in the end,
nothing will happen in the grand scheme of things , especially about sybil.
Already pre-ordered . I'm ready for this.
Weird how all the shots of the main character don't have him in his main attire

Nothing but scenes of the prologue.

Can't say I was particularly fond of The Disappearance of Haruhi. It was well directed and animated but the characters and plot of the series that never managed to get me particularly excited didn't succeed in doing so in the movie either.

Yep, well directed and animated, but it's really overrated.

The worst is that the supposedly big cathartic moment for Kyon, the point of the movie, was very silly. We already knew all along that he was enjoying being with Haruhi and all the hijinks with the group, we just had to "wait" for three hours until Kyon understands it.

And what was interesting in Nagato? She was the token super timid-moe-meek book girl with a thing for the mc (for maximum pandering).

Coxy

Fairy Tail 1-26

I promised myself I wouldnt ever get into another infinity episodes forever series but it was on netflix and I couldnt help myself. Pretty enjoyable so far, liking Ezra a lot

phaze

Why did nobody tell me this show was amazing? Seriously, it came out last year(?) and I don't remember any hype for it.

bAvjZFe.gif

Glad you enjoyed it. I preach its greatness in every recommendation thread.

On that note, vol 3 blue ray comparisons. Most of episode 8 is hilarious.

Mitch

Banned
Had no idea there was going to be a second season. I'll keep this on my "to-watch" list for sure.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
duckroll hates Haruhi because it was part of the great plague of 2006 when anime became really popular and started the downfall of the medium. The Hare Hare Yukai dance was the first ever meme based off of an anime. Before then the medium was meme free and taken very seriously, but Haruhi ruined that and made people think it was a joke. Niconico Douga was actually made just so the Japanese population has an outlet for their new found meme ways which would also lead to the NEET culture that plagues their economy. It was also where the concept of moe was born with the character Asahina and idol culture with the religious movement of Haruhism. It also meant Kyoto Animation would never make another series of Full Metal Panic.

Midonin

Aikatsu! Akari Generation 113

A line of clothes based around the style of summer is about the furthest thing you could get from something Christmas-appropriate, but it means we get to see Hinaki overcome her past and move into the spotlight with the other girls. I wish Mikuru had gotten a chance to come back so she could mentor her, much like Yurika did for Sumire, but this is fine. Turning ripped clothes into fashionable ones works out just fine - though I'm curious when Hinaki's going to get a song of her own.

duckroll hates Haruhi because it was part of the great plague of 2006 when anime became really popular and started the downfall of the medium. The Hare Hare Yukai dance was the first ever meme based off of an anime. Before then the medium was meme free and taken very seriously, but Haruhi ruined that and made people think it was a joke. Niconico Douga was actually made just so the Japanese population has an outlet for their new found meme ways which would also lead to the NEET culture that plagues their economy. It was also where the concept of moe was born with the character Asahina and idol culture with the religious movement of Haruhism. It also meant Kyoto Animation would never make another series of Full Metal Panic.

Funny

Someone might take this seriously.

~wan

TUSR

Banned

ayy lmao

Midonin

Denki-Gai 12 + Final Thoughts

I'm rather easy to please. Every cosplay during the cherry blossom viewing scene was an in-joke on the voice actors - from recent series like GochiUsa and SAO to fan favorites like Maou-sama, Nichijou and K-ON! to ones that I wasn't expecting at all, like G-Men dressed up as Kobayashi's character from Saint October. Who even remembers Saint October? The Sensei skit at the beginning was cute, and the manager's greeting at the end was a little weird, but as far as shows from this season go, I'm satisfied.

Romance has never been a make-or-break element of anime for me, and I found the couples in this series cute. It had some surprisingly poignant things to say about romance, and more than its share of otaku culture in-jokes, which is one of the reasons I like anime so much in the first place. It did experiment with the format from time to time - like the Sensei observation stories, or the Lime Cat shorts - and overall, was a lot of fun. The colors, the character designs, the atmosphere, it all popped in a way that really appeals to me.

I'd love a second season, or even just an OVA. Seeing Tsumorin dressed as Chiya (and Kameko as Mio) reminded me of how much I want more Nichijou and GochiUsa too. Not sure how many peoples' radars this series is going to place on, but for me, it's a strong contender in a season with quite a few standout shows already.

JimPanzer

ok anime-gaf I need your help.

I marathoned Barakamon yesterday and completely fell in love with it. Need some suggestions for similar stuff or good slice of life anime in general :)

Midonin

Shirobako 11

The Little Match Girl sequence was again the part that stood out the most. Introducing a bit of dream logic/magic realism(?) like that to the show keeps it from becoming too heavy with the pressure of producing an anime, by tapping into the emotions of what it means to create an anime. Doraemon and Gundams alike, all animating. I have no doubts Aoi will get the episode done before the episode done before the first cour. It'd make a good way to end before the new year.

Also, episode 6 has been reinstated on all streaming services.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom