• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 |OT2| Idly waiting for the Dog Days of Sabre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoraxes

Amagi Brilliant Park 10 - 12 END

That was great. I hope they make more of this because it's the first time in a while i've enjoyed a kyoani series.

I liked the whole last arc too.

Kanye is my favorite tsundere this season too.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Log Horizon Season 2, Episode 12
I am not exactly sure what happened there but as close as I can figure things Shiroe basically used the giant pool of the gold to buy up all the land and close the very concept of ownership zones or something to that effect. Basically it ends the strain on the operating budget. secures the homeland from the tactics of the enemy and will allow for The People of the Land to actually own land. The Silver Swords gets to have their moment of eternal glory and we finally get confirmation that Tetra is a guy currently trapped in a female body. Indeed, we have reached the end of this arc, and it was good, better then the Akasuki one to be sure. Though I am glad it has reached its end as the dark cloud of the south is fully unfurled and we get to meet the brain trust of Plant Hwyaden. On the other hand, not really looking forward to the Valentine's Day episode.

Log Horizon S2 12

I'm still not 100% on Shiroe's plan and how awful it could actually be if someone who actually had evil intention could use it. I'm not saying its bad per say, just easily corrupted. Otherwise great episode, pretty much just Shiroe talking about how everyone has changed and grown over the raid. Tetra is revealed to actually have been a male in the real world, noted her response to Shiroe's question about Nao was slightly different than what I heard the novel one was. Next episode seems to be setting up to push the characters closer together so we'll see how that works out. I'm sad the raid is over but next episode should be a good tension release.

~wan

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Amagi Brilliant Park 10 - 12 END

That was great. I hope they make more of this because it's the first time in a while i've enjoyed a kyoani series.

I liked the whole last arc too.

Kanye is my favorite tsundere this season too.
I guess I should ask - do they save the park?

Jex

[WIXOSS] - Overall Thoughts

I haven't really had time to congregate my feelings on this series so you'll have to excuse slapdash the nature of these impressions:

- This may well be Okada's craziest cast yet and that's really saying something.

- I don't think this show should have been two cours. I can't and wont dictate an imagined ideal length but it was certainly too long.

- On the same front, this show had incredibly wonky pacing and plot progression. The story tended to advance in an erratic, spluttering fashion with no clear goal or endpoint at least for the characters. Unfortunately, the audience could work out exactly where it was going so that only made the show more frustrating. Worse, the show would dole out pointless roadblocks to delay the inevitable.

- The battles in this show are pretty awful. All jokes about Yu-Gi-Oh! asside, this show doesn't even pretend to have consistent battle rules and just evolves in to people flinging light at each other. We never know why anyone has won or lost, or how close they are to wining or losing. Maybe Okada just didn't care to write those kind of scenes which might be why the show focuses more heavily on character drama.

- Pablo can do some pretty good art, you know?

- I don't know how far ahead the show was planned out, but certain plot elements seem to come and go. For example, the fate of those who lose 3 times seems to change completely throughout the show.
Hitoe not being able to make friends FOREVER is suddenly and unexplained reversed. The LRIG's even explain that NO WISH can reverse ANOTHER WISH and yet Hitoe just gets better all on her own. Why? How? Apparently, the girl Akira 'killed' didn't even die?

And what about Ru's dream of ultimate destruction? Of the two battling LRIG's consuming the city like monsters? Of Tama being some kind of battle crazed monster? All the pointless and dumb sounded talk of the city disappearing once the tower was built?

- I feel fairly mixed on the finale.
On one hand, I have no problem with a super-happy ending. Most of these kinds of stories end badly for someone, even if it's just the protagonist. Madoka a show which certainly didn't obviously influence this series, is one clear example. Ru one-up's Godoka by not only breaking all the rules and healing/freeing everyone, she even claims the ability to resurrect the dead and turn cards into real girls.

I have no problem with this in principle - but in the very end credit sequence they don't even commit to it. They hint pretty strongly that Tama has become a real girl, but then why add in any ambiguity at all? Everyone else got a good ending, bar Ulith. It seems pointless to go 90% of the way towards a super good ending but not deliver on the last portion of it. It makes the show feel needlessly incomplete in terms of the resolution. I can't figure out why the story ended in this manner.

You could argue that Ru can't just magically resurrect the dead and turn cards into real girls, but why the hell couldn't she? This show is predicated upon the idea that one little girl was so so sad that she invented imaginary beings who somehow became real and had real magical powers to swap peoples bodies and trap them in cards. Mayu literally got magical powers from being bummed out. So, in such a universe, just about anything could (and should) happen.

- Speaking of Mayu's backstroy, what's real crazy is that she didn't even create WIXOSS. In any other show the main baddie would have created the CHILDREN'S CARD GAME and infused it with evil magic. Yet in this show Mayu just happens to make the game into a magical game with the power of her sorrow? What?

- Why is Chiyori the best Selector? She's too good for this show.

- No seriously, she is DA BEST.

Andrew J.

Encouragement of Climb S2 12

Whew! For a while there I was worried that altitude sickness had permanently damaged the part of Aoi's brain responsible for feeling happiness.

[WIXOSS] - Overall Thoughts
I have no problem with this in principle - but in the very end credit sequence they don't even commit to it. They hint pretty strongly that Tama has become a real girl, but then why add in any ambiguity at all? Everyone else got a good ending, bar Ulith. It seems pointless to go 90% of the way towards a super good ending but not deliver on the last portion of it. It makes the show feel needlessly incomplete in terms of the resolution. I can't figure out why the story ended in this manner.
Not to mention where the hell is Yuki? They show Tama as a real girl at the end but I'm absolutely positive Yuki was not shown at the end. So is she effectively dead just like Ulith? I assume Ulith stays dead because she was an evil regular girl and LRIG so justice like you said earlier, but such isn't the case with Yuki.

~wan

Jex

[WIXOSS Finale Spoilers]

Not to mention where the hell is Yuki? They show Tama as a real girl at the end but I'm absolutely positive Yuki was not shown at the end. So is she effectively dead just like Ulith? I assume Ulith stays dead because she was an evil regular girl and LRIG so justice like you said earlier, but such isn't the case with Yuki.

~wan

I have a weird problem with this, but not in the way that you'd imagine.
What was the deal with Ulith's character design? It makes no sense. We know that when a SELECTOR becomes an ETERNAL GIRL a.k.a. an LRIG they take the form they had as a human + a some weird clothing. However, when Ulith becomes an LRIG she takes the same form as Kuro originally had when Mayu created her? What's the deal with that? I know that Kuro/lrigh/Iona/Yuki no longer has that form but it just doesn't abide by the same rules as the rest of the show!

[WIXOSS Finale Spoilers]

What was the deal with Ulith's character design? It makes no sense. We know that when a SELECTOR becomes an ETERNAL GIRL a.k.a. an LRIG they take the form they had as a human + a some weird clothing. However, when Ulith becomes an LRIG she takes the same form as Kuro originally had when Mayu created her? What's the deal with that? I know that Kuro/lrigh/Iona/Yuki no longer has that form but it just doesn't abide by the same rules as the rest of the show!

You know that all your problem and inconsistencies about wixoss can be solved by saying that it was
mayu whims , since she was making the rules, the design and decided , ahem "selected" who was partenered with whom with the exception of tama ?

Midonin

Sailor Moon Crystal 12

So instead of the "sacrifice yourselves" route, we're going the Romeo and Juliet route.

Vanadis 12

This is more like it. Feels like we haven't had a bath scene since the first episode, so having the Vanadis (and Regin) just goofing around in the hot springs brought some much needed relief from the battles we've been going through. The stuff with the cave was also fairly interesting. While there were moments where I kind of zoned out in the middle of the show, it may end on a strong note yet.

Pooya

Expelled from Paradise first 45 minutes

-MC is terrible terrible whiny blush blush tsun.
-MC is dressed like a effing vocaloid. How does she even walk on those things?
-Reason why MC is a loli is so lolz, whyyyyy
-CG occasionally looks... not bad? characters not so much eh.
-TALK TALK TALK EXPOSITION, I have nothing against it but it's not any interesting, already feels repetitive. You could cut these 45 minutes in half -and nothing of value would have been lost. I GET it body flesh feels, simulated computer blah blah.
-MC is really terrible.
-Action pieces aren't interesting or creative whatsoever.

It's pretty terrible and another hour to go, maybe it's awesome but I can't be bothered with, maybe later in better mood. ZZzzzzZZZZz

Yowamushi Pedal 19-20

HEa2m3E.jpg

Can you hear the call of the wind?

Sangaku past and motivation to ride bikes is pretty cool. Love that the characters are well developed.

Log horizon S2 - 12

Well well , shiroe leveled up , it's going to be fun to see how this turn of event will change things. Demikas wife trully melted that guy heart and the tetra vs marie battle wasfunny as possible.

Yep log horizon is still strong .

Rakuen Tsuihou Expelled from Paradise Overall Thoughts

It was kinda great, I was not really expecting much from Urobuchi, and there was not much "butchering" as I thought. The story is a bit predictable, as you can expect which one is villain early on. Its not great, but it served well.

The character really develop well, Angela, even though a bit hot headed, actually listens to reasons and work hard. She is one of those who understands and fight the good fight. Zarik on the other hand, is a man of a gold heart. He does takes advantage of Angela early on, but is very kind to her throughout the story. Oh, he also the talkative one who is giving away all that smart philosophy shit. Frontier Setter is Frontier Setter, I think I can't talk too much about him.

The animation is top notch btw, and very surprising for it is cgi. You can see some frame dropping in some scene, but you won't notice much if you ain't paying attention anyway. The fight scene are fast and brutal, but very easy to follow through. All I can say is, yes, they blew all that load at the right place.

Music wise...its your normal futuristic stuff. It does not sound too out of place, and you can hear them playing around to match a particular scene and the music, nice touch.

Well, overall it was a fun, entertaining movie that I think most people would enjoy....unless you don't like Angela boobs bouncing everywhere. I recommend this

Frontier Setter,See You Space Cowboy..
dCmUh.gif

Midonin

Chocotto Sister Advent Calendar Day 20

I remember this episode when I saw it in Magimoji Rurumo. The fact that this episode repeats with
Choco finding a puma that she befriends, and is subsequently killed by a car trying its best to find her
doesn't make it any less sad. Choco's dealt with all sorts of emotions she doesn't understand, but death is not one of them, and it hits her hard. The next episode looks like a ton of fun, though.

Midonin

Sword Art Online II 24 + Final Thoughts

I remember not liking nor disliking the first season that much. It was hyped, it had some interesting concepts, but I never felt it was the worst thing ever. And this season... was even less of that. While I wasn't very fond of the first arc outside of Sinon being introduced - just never had a taste for shooters - the second half of the show was actually pretty fine. Calibre is closer to what I was expecting from the show at first, a close group of friends off on adventures, and Rosario, if a bit Lifetime-y in its nature, used death and the virtual world in a way that didn't feel quite so overblown. Just a little overblown.

That final scene with Yuuki was touching. Not sure how I feel about
Akihiko being mentioned again
, but it all concluded in a way that I feel leaves me with a good impression. The author did improve in his work - and improved further with Accel World - and the idea of separating real and virtual was used a bit more thoughtfully here. It wasn't the best show of the season, and it wasn't the worst. It wasn't even the worst of the year - as long as Mahouka continues to exist, I don't think anything else can be. It was alright, alright in a way that held my attention a bit more than the first season.

I could do with some happier anime, though, I just watched two with mourning scenes in a row and the loss of Colbert is still being felt. Waremete, don't let me down.

Branduil

[WIXOSS Finale Spoilers]

Speaking of the ending, how about
Aki-lucky? It seems to imply that she's still working as a model. However, she's also presumably still insane and a danger to everyone around her.

Darn it, why is the last Mushishi thing a movie.
Now I'll never be able to see it...

Production issues. The staff weren't able to finish the 12 episodes in Spring, and got so behind Aniplex had to make a Durarara!! special and the SAO recap episode to take up the time for the two additional episodes that will be screened in theatres. Aniplex is getting more money through box office than making another 2-episode special again..

Speaking of the ending, how about
Aki-lucky? It seems to imply that she's still working as a model. However, she's also presumably still insane and a danger to everyone around her.
Now that you point this out it makes even less sense that Ulith isn't revived. Akira is still running around being insane but I guess they just couldn't kill her like Ulith since she never became a LRIG.

~WAN

Midonin

Waremete 12 + Final Thoughts

The show's slow, if mysterious, start was kinda tough to get into, but at about episode 9ish or so, it picked up and emphasized the kind of atmosphere that draws me to visual novels in the first place. It's not quite Steins;Gate, but I still think it has some interesting ideas going for it. Less in the way of conspiracies, more about feelings. Very heavy on the feelings. The characters looking almost CGI-ish were a little weird, and it never quite went away, but the show could still do some good things with what it had. I still feel as though I can cite it as an example of the visual novel anime still having staying power in the world today.

zulux21

Yes

Oh lol, I had no idea. Bring on the last episode!

It seemed pretty conclusive to me though, heh.

if I recall right the series of light novels is still on going.
they still have a few plot points to work with
the evil wizard
breaking the curse
making sure the park keeps running well as they only hit the bare minimum that would work.

I am still expecting either a beach or idol ep for the last ep though.

Now that you point this out it makes even less sense that Ulith isn't revived. Akira is still running around being insane but I guess they just couldn't kill her like Ulith since she never became a LRIG.

~WAN

it's hard to guess what happenned to akira since we don't know what happenned to her past her duel with ulith.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom