• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 |OT2| Idly waiting for the Dog Days of Sabre

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
I DID BOTH OF THOSE THINGS! It'll be fiiiiine

Magical Witch Punie Chan 1-8 END

More amazing than I thought. Punie is a magical asshole, and having Tetsuka in her ring of friends is rather odd. With some fun reaction faces, and rather physical antics going about, this is better than I expected it to be. And different from what I expected as well.

I now know where that Potato scene came from as well. That makes me happy.

You shoulda asked me about Punie chan before! I love that show.
Genius comedy.

jgminto

Is Yowamushi on any other legal streaming sites? I can't find it on CR. I don't want to use an illegal one.

I use Tunnelbear to watch it. If you turn it on before you open your browser, then go to crunchyroll and turn it off you'll be able to watch it and other different region shows as well not use the free data. Though if you live in the US, you should be able to watch it normally.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Ace of the Diamond 61

Boy and I thought American sports had shitty ass concussion protocols :lol. Its like nobody watched Major!

Outcome of whats going to happen seems so damn obvious
Kawakami is going to get rocked because hes a scrub
. Wonder where the series goes after that though.

faridmon

Psycho-Pass 9 - 11 End

mika-sibyl-secret.jpg

Lol, Mika is such .... comical character. Even till the end, she never changed her blind ideals and misconception. Alot happened to her, and she is still as pathetic as always.

The only bad part about the last 3 eps is that Mika never gotten anything she desrves, otherwise it was actually enjoyable finale, albeit filled with contradictions and bad script planning. it points out significantly how the writer have made everything so contrived as the writers just used their own selective rules to determine the ending of this season.

However, what we got is an enjoyable ride, characters became active and things started to happen. Things were explained and we even gotten a climatic battle of wits between Kirito and Sybil lady. Mika became flustered and Togane went berserk. I really like how Togane became fixated on his own ideas and plans till the end, it was kind of creepy how he was attached to his mum to a point that it clouded his logic on how to approach things, but nevertheless, I really liked his character development.

Akane, is yet again, the star here. She is unbelievably strong woman. A very firm character with his own philosophy on how to solve things and how to communicate her thoughts clearly and make a strong arguments, especially against Togane and Sybil at large. She is a really great character just watch.

I don't know if these last 3 Episodes have redeemed this season, but I am happy about the finale. In the very least, it made me very excited for the movie. I wonder if the collective Psycho pass will be the main theme then...

Ah, you won't be able to play UK discs without getting a region free BD player, then. Of the ones you listed, the only one that hasn't gotten a BD release in North America is Gankutsuou. Baccano's BD is now out of print though, so you'll have to look a bit harder if you want to find it.

I was particularly interested in the ultimate edition of escaflowne and thought that baccano! Had a re-print, oh well. US need to step up their game.

To add, if you're searching for it via a device that uses CR, there's always a chance mature content filter needs disabled to see the full library. Some of the stuff flagged doesn't make sense so just throwing it out there.

That could very well be the problem, I use it on My PS4. I'll have to check the settings, this could explain some things. Thanks.

Clov

I was particularly interested in the ultimate edition of escaflowne and thought that baccano! Had a re-print, oh well. US need to step up their game.

Funimation currently has the home video rights to Escaflowne. I'm expecting them to release a BD version of it in the near future; hopefully by next year.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
You'll need to disable it via the CR website, I believe.

I think they added a toggle in a PS4 update but I'm not near a PS4 so I can't check right now. Definitely wasn't there originally so yeah you might have to go to the website to turn it off (its default on for god knows whatever reason)

Fbh

I guess this should be right place to ask.

Does anyone know when the 5th volume of the Fairy Tail Soundtrack is supposed to come out?
Can't even find it pirated

As I was gonna be stuck on a train for hours today I decided to dust of the laptop and watch through Hanamonogatari, which I just hadn't gotten around to yet.

It has been some time since I watched any Monogatari, so I think this was a good time to be exposed to it. I was reminded how much I like the structure of the show and it's dialouges, along with the Shaftness. Well, those split-second text screens making me have to go back and spam pause still annoys the crap out of me.

I ended up enjoying Hana more than I thought, the low episode count worked in it's favor. It's probably my favorite, right next to the first season. But then again I keep mixing every Monogatari together in my memory. I was glad I decided to watch this as it made me more excited for Tsukimonogatari.

Quasar

Wolf Girl 12 - kind of a happy ending. Still think kyouya is a awful person though. really not a fan of this kind of shojou with a nice girl fighting to win the heart of a pretty awful guy.

Grisaia 12 - That happened. Have trouble with it given how close to civilisation they were. Not like they were trapped high up in the andes.

UBW 11 - Certainly is diverging from my vague memories of the route the previous series did.

Hattori

Banned
Fall Anime 2014 is almost over. Here are the top anime I've watch and finished (or plan to finish):

Kokkuri-San - very charming characters especially Kohina.

Denki-gai - a very charming and likeable cast as well, and the fact that they're not highschool students is a breath of fresh air.

7 Deadly Sins - I like the setting and environments, characters keep interested, and mostly because of Hawk the pig :)

My top three this season are Shirobako Reconguista in G and Shingeki no Bahamut Genesis, in that order.

Although I feel like Gundam Build Fighters Try might take the #3 spot with a few more good episodes.

To Love Ru Darkness 2 Confirmed, making it the fourth season overall for the TLR franchise in addition to numerous OVAs.

4j2q9ci1s2p.gif

The Lewd gods have smiled upon me and have said "Let 2015 be the year of smut!"

Genderbender arc.

Soul Switch arc.

Love Potion arc.

And the current one, are all going to be animated.

What a glorious time to be alive.

Tosh is coming, AnimeGAF.

And there's not a thing you can do to stop it.

Clov

Top three this season for me would have to be Mushishi, Shirobako, and Ronja.

Speaking of Ronja, it's great! The CG takes a bit of getting used to, but it's a really fun and charming anime. The characters are just wonderful. While it's mostly a happy and uplifting show, it can be pretty serious when it has to be. For example, in episode 10
the scene where the harpy confronts Ronja was really well done. Really intense and creepy. I really felt scared for poor Ronja there!
Everyone ought to give this show a chance, really.

Midonin

Grisaia 12 - That happened. Have trouble with it given how close to civilisation they were. Not like they were trapped high up in the andes.
"Practical joke perpetrated by Mother Nature and a combination of improbable events. Practical joke wearing the trappings of nightmare, of terror, of desperation."

Clov

Discotek said that they're making some announcements for 2015 tonight on their Facebook. I wonder if there will be any surprises? I'm hoping for a Castle of Cagliostro BD date, at least.

Puruzi

Banned
Top 3 of this season for me are Yuki Yuna is a Hero, Tribe Cool Crew,
(seriously)
and Kokkuri San.

Also I just watched all of Wixoss.
Akira is a cunt. Chiyori was the best selector and Eldora was the best LRIG

e_i

Girlfriend BETA episode 11

Chloe, you're an idiot but I still love you.

Celestial Method episode 12

Wow...
reset with alternate world timeline?
How come Nonoka and Shione are the only ones
who remember Noel.

Himemiya

Top three this season for me would have to be Mushishi, Shirobako, and Ronja.

Speaking of Ronja, it's great! The CG takes a bit of getting used to, but it's a really fun and charming anime. The characters are just wonderful. While it's mostly a happy and uplifting show, it can be pretty serious when it has to be. For example, in episode 10
the scene where the harpy confronts Ronja was really well done. Really intense and creepy. I really felt scared for poor Ronja there!
Everyone ought to give this show a chance, really.

Ayyy someone else watched Ronja! I agree it's been a pretty great show.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Brave King GaoGaiGar Episode 32:

Wow, okay, no GaoGaiGar, you don't just get to heap this pile of narrative bullshit on me and expect me to just roll with it because you are fueled on hot blooded nonsense. Seriously, this may be a dealbreaker and I walk away now because
fuck you, you do not get to have the cast of the 3G, whom I saw fucking obliterated, just appear on a heretofore unseen space station. Seriously, this better be some clone shit or something because I don't buy their survival for one damn picosecond.

I've only see. 2 shows from
This season, and so far it's parasyte & Fate/stay night UBW

Fate/stay night UBW 9

Oh shiiiiiiiit
gilgamesh is making a return? That's pretty sketch, he's about to tear shit up
I thought it was a pretty good episode I honestly could do without the sexual tension, but at this point I guess I should learn to ignore it, it doesn't seem to be going anywhere. I would also like an episode centered on the back stories of the heroes, at least archer. Fate/zero the episode with saver, archer and rider were one of my favs.

Brave King GaoGaiGar Episode 32:

Wow, okay, no GaoGaiGar, you don't just get to heap this pile of narrative bullshit on me and expect me to just roll with it because you are fueled on hot blooded nonsense. Seriously, this may be a dealbreaker and I walk away now because
fuck you, you do not get to have the cast of the 3G, whom I saw fucking obliterated, just appear on a heretofore unseen space station. Seriously, this better be some clone shit or something because I don't buy their survival for one damn picosecond.

Yeah, this ticked me off as well. Don't let this be a deal-breaker for you though because it all pays off very well in the Final OVA.

Remember, the GaoGaiGar series was aimed towards children. The Final OVA was the one aimed towards more of an adult mecha anime audience.

Clov

So, to our Yowamushi Pedal fans, Discotek just announced they have the rights to both seasons and will release them in 2015.

This is... very unusual for them, so I'm pretty surprised.

Midonin

Kiddy Grade 16-18

Ep. 16 reminded me of ROD the TV's episode 14. Half recap, half exposition/character building, but a chance to breathe after a major plot development took place. And what a plot development it is. We've basically gone right into crazy town, where EcLu
now makes up a majority of the characters seen on screen at any given time.
I'm not sure what prompted our(?) Eclair to make such a drastic change in personality, but some of the troop versions maintain at least a hint of the original's motivation for turning on GOTT in the first place. And then you have the
OG EcLu
showing up, and they look to be much closer to the pre-crazy despot versions.

I'm really not sure where this is going, and I can't say I expected the show to go in this direction. It's fascinating, and raises a lot of questions.

Chocotto Sister Advent Calendar Day 21

Basically, a followup to the loss of Kuro. Who, need I remind everybody, is a puma. The show pulled a
"that person you helped may have been dead all along"
with the amusement park, giving a much more somber tone than I was expecting for this show. In fact, this whole show has had a much more dramatic and somber tone than the cheerful opening (and the first few episodes) gave me an impression of.

Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket 01

9IkdQwv.jpg

Smoking in a mobile suit seems like a bad idea

And thus I begin my journey into old gundam series, ovas and films with War in the Pocket after listening to Theonik and MPR try to convince me of which gundam to go along with before I head into Turn A.

If there's one thing I noticed about the opening sequence was despite this being over 20+ years I love the visual style here. It also quickly got me into the show and how despite the Hygoggs' formidable they seemed, they still weren't able to complete the mission they were apparently there for and even lost one of their own.

Skip ahead to kid with a love of mobile suits I'm and a desire to prove snot nosed girl who doubts him and his friends tales. I do find it curious how the kids just do not seem all that fazed when they see their city getting blown up and mobile suit battles in the street and how willing Alfred is to see that disabled mobile suit. Though I assume this will be explained in time. As such I'm happy with the show and will now continue on with the next episode.

~wan wan wan

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yeah, this ticked me off as well. Don't let this be a deal-breaker for you though because it all pays off very well in the Final OVA.

Remember, the GaoGaiGar series was aimed towards children. The Final OVA was the one aimed towards more of an adult mecha anime audience.

I suppose I can overlook it since it dealing with the supporting cast but holy hell this is among the worst asspulls I have ever seen and even the series can't justify it, just kind of waves it hands and hopes not too much of a fuss is made.

Beefeater

Banned
This is the first season I've been following, and these were the shows:
  • Mushishi
  • Bahamut
  • Anima(tor) exhibition
  • Fate
    [*]Parasyte
    [*]Garo
I'm regretting the bolded. I should have a three strikes system or something, but Parasyte and Garo are definitely getting dropped now. Tempted to drop Fate as well after the shonen antics of episode 10.

I would pick up Shirobako this winter, but I think I've learned that I prefer watching finished shows. Less disappointments that way and a freer schedule. Sucks not being "with it" but it's probably a price worth paying.

Clov

Discotek also announced that they have Jigen Daisuke's Gravestone! It'll have a BD and DVD release. In a surprising move, they're making an English dub for it. This will be their very first.

It's the holiday season. It's a time for sharing and giving. As such I thought I would give a small gift to the community. I'm giving away a Crunchyroll 3 month pass to start the next year off right or a game of equal or lesser value ($20 USD, something easily giveable digitally). To make it interesting I've been participating in the sacred act known as #secretanime. Take a guess at what #secretanime is and you'll have a chance to get my small gift.

- Just guessing gets you one entry into my give away.
- If you guess correctly, you get three entries into my give away.

Also for those who guess correctly I will do another draw that will let you pick the next anime I watch. You can be nice or you can be naughty, I can't be phased any more than I already have been. It has to be <12 episodes or <3 hr movie.

To enter, PM me here on GAF or send me a tweet with your guess. I will be running this giveaway until I post my final impressions of #secretanime here on AnimeGAF. Anyone is free to enter, just please don't enter more then once. Happy holidays!

John Blade

Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket 01

And thus I begin my journey into old gundam series, ovas and films with War in the Pocket after listening to Theonik and MPR try to convince me of which gundam to go along with before I head into Turn A.

If there's one thing I noticed about the opening sequence was despite this being over 20+ years I love the visual style here. It also quickly got me into the show and how despite the Hygoggs' formidable they seemed, they still weren't able to complete the mission they were apparently there for and even lost one of their own.

Skip ahead to kid with a love of mobile suits I'm and a desire to prove snot nosed girl who doubts him and his friends tales. I do find it curious how the kids just do not seem all that fazed when they see their city getting blown up and mobile suit battles in the street and how willing Alfred is to see that disabled mobile suit. Though I assume this will be explained in time. As such I'm happy with the show and will now continue on with the next episode.

~wan wan wan

You pick a good Gundam show. Get ready to get a tissue box near by as it's very emotional show (you understand once you see the show all the way).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom