• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 |OT2| Idly waiting for the Dog Days of Sabre

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket 01
The perfect Christmas anime!*

Nah. Shit makes no sense and is boring to boot. You should probably quit and watch a proper space opera.

P7gdy1H.png

I suppose I can overlook it since it dealing with the supporting cast but holy hell this is among the worst asspulls I have ever seen and even the series can't justify it, just kind of waves it hands and hopes not too much of a fuss is made.

Yeah, the first season really likes to go this way in the second half of the show.

All I can really say is keep going until the Final OVA because it's ten times better.

Clov

Here we go, another dub cast…

I wonder if they'll try to get the same cast as Funimation's dub for Fujiko Mine. I mean, I can't really understand why they'd do this otherwise. In fact, it's actually a bit baffling to me that they'd dub this at all, given that they've had no problem releasing sub-only Lupin stuff before. If I'd have to guess, they're dubbing it to try and grab some of Funimation's dub fans.

What I find amusing about the whole situation is that after Fujiko Mine's North American release, Funimation said that there were no plans for them picking up any other Lupin material... unless it was like Fujiko Mine. This movie then comes out... and they clearly pass on it. If I had to guess, Fujiko Mine didn't hit the numbers that Funimation was expecting, perhaps by a larger margin than what I originally thought. Thankfully, what Funimation would consider poor sales, a lot of other companies would be just fine with. Discotek will do well with this title!

Nafe

Lupin the IIIrd: Daisuke Jigen's Gravestone

Duy92t0.png

I'm not really that familiar with the Lupin series myself. I knew of it and had seen a little bit on TV a few years ago, though they might have been some specials, I can't really remember. I did watch the television series Lupin III: The Woman Called Mine Fujiko that aired a couple years ago or so though. I liked the art style that that show brought about, so personally I was pleased to see it return in this film once again.

Overall I liked the movie. Supposedly it's some kind of spinoff continuation from The Woman Called Mine Fujiko but you wouldn't really know it I think aside from using the same or very similar visual style. If I was to see more Lupin I was looking for something that focused more on Jigen or at least Lupin and Jigen. This show pretty much delivered on that front I think.

I liked the little hints throughout the movie to events that happen at the end. Part of it they basically tell, or show you anyway, but I was interested in seeing their explanation for how they pulled it off anyway. The part in the middle focusing around Fujiko felt a bit unnecessary though, personally I enjoy it more when it's Lupin and her sort of bantering at each other and trying to one up the other.

I'm not sure how long time Lupin fans will feel about it but I liked it enough to want to take more of a look at the newer upcoming television series.

Hattori

Banned
Not a fan of the new artstyle for Lupin, it's kind of like making Mario realistic and it just does not look right at all to me.

Gintama the Movie

Decided to watch this at last. Some bits feel vaguely familiar, as I was trying to watch to see what was new. The only thing I found clear was towards the end with that new fight sequence, and I believe the credits sequence?

Other than that, fun times I had. Something to watch if you're a Gintama fan.

My top 3 for the season would be;

1. Symphogear - Didn't air this season but I watched it and it was by far my favourite show of the year actually. Only bad thing to note is that there's no North American BD/DVD release. Not sure why since it seems like it would do well. Hyped for the third season in 2015.

2. Yuki Yuna is a Hero - Decent magical girl show that seems to be taking cues from Madoka. One episode left to see how it all ends.

3. Nozaki-kun - I haven't actually finished this one but it will likely be my third once I'm done. My only nitpick on this show is when they tease the romance too heavily. I understand why they do it but it still doesn't make it feel any better.

NeonZ

Gintama the Movie

Decided to watch this at last. Some bits feel vaguely familiar, as I was trying to watch to see what was new. The only thing I found clear was towards the end with that new fight sequence, and I believe the credits sequence?

That very early scene with the Shinsengumi giving some exposition was new, but it's so out of place in the movie considering how they don't appear afterwards...

Full Metal Panic! Fumoffu! - 7

Sousuke has to become a drill sergeant to train a team of hopeless loser Rugby players so they can win a game and save their club from being disbanded.

The result is what you'd expect.

This show.

Fate/stay night UBW 11

Looks like shirou was forced into having a slumber party. This dudes house is just flooded with a constant stream of women, wouldn't be surprised if archer was the first man (outside of shirou and kiritsugu) to set foot on the property. Anyway, I enjoyed the episode, especially archers talk in the end, he absolutely makes the show. I'll have to side with archer on this discussion.

And thus I begin my journey into old gundam series, ovas and films with War in the Pocket after listening to Theonik and MPR try to convince me of which gundam to go along with before I head into Turn A.

If there's one thing I noticed about the opening sequence was despite this being over 20+ years I love the visual style here. It also quickly got me into the show and how despite the Hygoggs' formidable they seemed, they still weren't able to complete the mission they were apparently there for and even lost one of their own.

Skip ahead to kid with a love of mobile suits I'm and a desire to prove snot nosed girl who doubts him and his friends tales. I do find it curious how the kids just do not seem all that fazed when they see their city getting blown up and mobile suit battles in the street and how willing Alfred is to see that disabled mobile suit. Though I assume this will be explained in time. As such I'm happy with the show and will now continue on with the next episode.

~wan wan wan

Good choice. This is probably the best thing that will ever be made with the Gundam name on it. While there might be one or two things that make a little more sense if you've seen the original series, for the most part 0080 stands on its own pretty well. Enjoy the ride.

I'm probably due for a rewatch of this at some point before too long. I think my DVD is still back at my parent's house.

Vito

Banned
Oh cool, Discotek got a bunch of new stuff, Yowapeda, and Koike's Jigen movie (BD + new Eng dub, a first for them). They also got Iria, glad the old US shit DVD is finally getting a replacement. Anyways, look it up on their facebook page :p

Tribe Cool Crew Episode 12

I need the song when Explosive Mahcine Guns was dancing. It was so good and second best song of the anime thus far. I wonder if we will hear it again since we keep hearing the TriCool use the same song. Though with the next theme announced I guess they would probably switch songs too :(

Explosive Machine Guns dance was incredible, the older guy really helps make it more than just a Yuji (cup and ball guy) affair. And I really like Yuji's part too. Great team and dance.

Hattori

Banned
What? The new movie looks amazing. It's highly stylized in a way that suits the intersection of noir and old spy movies.
I haven't seen the movie yet, I'm going by what I've seen from the Fujiko spin-off. I'm just not feeling the heavy dark sketch lines from that show. However, if the movie tones it down, I'd be ok with it. And going by yours and nafe's screenshot, it looks like they did.

Gintama the Movie

They also changed the theme song near the end of the battle.

Yowamushi Pedal Grande Road 01

Ha what a delightful show, I can't wait to get to see what else this show has in store.

I was dying when sakamichi was singing.

Yowamushi Pedal Grande Road is the second season just to avoid confusion. Just call it Yowamushi Pedal

Yowamushi Pedal Grande Road 11

aITk5WP.jpg

The best jerk with a heart of gold ever
WKiYSDA.jpg

With that I am caught up with the series. I want moar!

What a great cast of characters, the races are intense and full of emotions, soundtrack is great too, animation is good. A complete package.

I must see for anyone who enjoy any kind of anime not just sports anime.

Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket 02-03

aXmwlJb.jpg

This fucking kid.

I still haven't decided if Alfred is too fucking curious for his own good or a little too blinded by some sort of 'war fantasy' to fully realize the situation he is in with these people. On some level he seems to understand the concept that they are very much willing to kill anyone who gets in their way as evidenced by his actions in the garage. Yet at the same time he does not seem to realize these people do not mean him and his well.

I'm also utterly baffled why they haven't blown the kid away and dumped his body because what kind of fucking covert unit would allow such a loose end to run around free? Can already see the Romeo and Juliet scenario building up between Bernard and Christina and I just know that shit isn't going to end well.

~ WAN

Full Metal Panic! Fumoffu! - 7

Sousuke has to become a drill sergeant to train a team of hopeless loser Rugby players so they can win a game and save their club from being disbanded.

The result is what you'd expect.

This show.

Well i kinda expected another reaction to this episode ...but glad you liked it .
The only problem with the fumoffu saga is to find witch episode you like more.

And you have'nt seen the best yet

Discotek also announced that they have Jigen Daisuke's Gravestone! It'll have a BD and DVD release. In a surprising move, they're making an English dub for it. This will be their very first.

Well that's a surprise. I wonder what dub cast they'll use?

sonicmj1

And thus I begin my journey into old gundam series, ovas and films with War in the Pocket after listening to Theonik and MPR try to convince me of which gundam to go along with before I head into Turn A.

If there's one thing I noticed about the opening sequence was despite this being over 20+ years I love the visual style here. It also quickly got me into the show and how despite the Hygoggs' formidable they seemed, they still weren't able to complete the mission they were apparently there for and even lost one of their own.

Skip ahead to kid with a love of mobile suits I'm and a desire to prove snot nosed girl who doubts him and his friends tales. I do find it curious how the kids just do not seem all that fazed when they see their city getting blown up and mobile suit battles in the street and how willing Alfred is to see that disabled mobile suit. Though I assume this will be explained in time. As such I'm happy with the show and will now continue on with the next episode.

~wan wan wan

The way Al and his friends react to their town getting attacked by mobile suits is weird and remains weird. But that's the only aspect of Al's naivete that they take too far to be believable. The rest of the show is strong enough that it had more or less faded from my memory by the show's end.

Ventara

Sword Art Online 2 Episode 20

So Yuuki wants Asuna to join their guild to be the 7th member in their party to face the floor boss alone as a 7-member party. Asuna being in a somewhat relatable position with their reason for doing so, agrees and joins them. Though shortly after, Asuna is yanked out of the game and confronted by her mother. She bitches at her that she plays too much video games blah blah blah priorities blah blah dinner blah.

Anyways, I can't totally disagree with Asuna's mother's motives to want her to get back on track with a "normal" life, though she does come off a bit strict and controlling. Oh but she is hot. What do you guys think the chances are of her joining Kirito's harem of waifus? I bet that's what she's really after.

Back in the game world, Asuna and her new team members run into trouble when they're confronted with another guild who wants to defeat the boss. Things look bleak when they're outnumbered. Thankfully, Kirigod comes to the rescue. I bet he can one-shot the boss. I mean, the dude can wall-run. Is there anything he can't do?

Grisaia - 12

Well this ended like i expected , in a giant mess where everything went wrong

And by "everything" i mean "everything"

Still , glad to know that over the top and overqualified run in the kazami familly ...
What are they ? wizards ?

One thing for sure , i'm sure glad i've backed the grisaia kickstarter.. I guess for the anime it's MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

Next episode is sure to be intresting

cajunator

Banned
Kiddy Grade 16-18

Ep. 16 reminded me of ROD the TV's episode 14. Half recap, half exposition/character building, but a chance to breathe after a major plot development took place. And what a plot development it is. We've basically gone right into crazy town, where EcLu
now makes up a majority of the characters seen on screen at any given time.
I'm not sure what prompted our(?) Eclair to make such a drastic change in personality, but some of the troop versions maintain at least a hint of the original's motivation for turning on GOTT in the first place. And then you have the
OG EcLu
showing up, and they look to be much closer to the pre-crazy despot versions.

I'm really not sure where this is going, and I can't say I expected the show to go in this direction. It's fascinating, and raises a lot of questions.

Chocotto Sister Advent Calendar Day 21

Basically, a followup to the loss of Kuro. Who, need I remind everybody, is a puma. The show pulled a
"that person you helped may have been dead all along"
with the amusement park, giving a much more somber tone than I was expecting for this show. In fact, this whole show has had a much more dramatic and somber tone than the cheerful opening (and the first few episodes) gave me an impression of.

Yeah that was one of the surprises in Kiddy Grade.
it looks like the creators got tired of Eclair and Lumiere's old forms
it gets more twisted from here.

Gugure Kokkuri-san - 01

What do I say about this other than that the first episode was exceedingly adorable and I laughed a lot? If the rest of the show's comedy is on point then this is probably gonna be an easy choice for somewhere on the AOTY list. I loved the darker style of humor and the interaction between protagonist and fox spirit.

Hoozuki no Reitetsu - 01-03

I enjoyed this one less than Kokkuri san. The bigger problem I think is that the specific comedy "arcs" last about half an episode so when the comedy isn't on point the thing just really drags. If I'm pausing your show to do something else while watching a comedy then something's wrong. Not sure if I'm going to bother continuing.

Narag

Kokkuri's first ep is the best as it sort if devolved into cast hijinx without the genuine emotional core present in that first one.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Gugure Kokkuri-san - 01

What do I say about this other than that the first episode was exceedingly adorable and I laughed a lot? If the rest of the show's comedy is on point then this is probably gonna be an easy choice for somewhere on the AOTY list. I loved the darker style of humor and the interaction between protagonist and fox spirit.

Do we break it to him about Inugami, guys?

Sword Art Online 2 Episode 20

So Yuuki wants Asuna to join their guild to be the 7th member in their party to face the floor boss alone as a 7-member party. Asuna being in a somewhat relatable position with their reason for doing so, agrees and joins them. Though shortly after, Asuna is yanked out of the game and confronted by her mother. She bitches at her that she plays too much video games blah blah blah priorities blah blah dinner blah.

Anyways, I can't totally disagree with Asuna's mother's motives to want her to get back on track with a "normal" life, though she does come off a bit strict and controlling. Oh but she is hot. What do you guys think the chances are of her joining Kirito's harem of waifus? I bet that's what she's really after.

Back in the game world, Asuna and her new team members run into trouble when they're confronted with another guild who wants to defeat the boss. Things look bleak when they're outnumbered. Thankfully, Kirigod comes to the rescue. I bet he can one-shot the boss. I mean, the dude can wall-run. Is there anything he can't do?
Lol @ you wanting to add a MILF in kirito Harem when it's already full . He doesn't have infinite stamina you know. !

Yeah that was one of the surprises in Kiddy Grade.
it looks like the creators got tired of Eclair and Lumiere's old forms
it gets more twisted from here.
No it was the plan all along But well i guess they were proud of their characters i guess ?
Do we break it to him about Inugami, guys?

Why should we ?

Wonder how they're going to explain Kochikame aka that thing with the cop that absolutely no one outside of Japan knows about.

Japanese Simpsons?

Or "that thing with the most manga volumes"

I wonder how anyone even attempts to catch up on this. It's above 1,800 chapters now making even Hajime no Ippo look easy in comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom