• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 |OT2| Idly waiting for the Dog Days of Sabre

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm legit surprised by J-stars

Now i have to hurry up and finish that game before the localised version arrives ( STopped in the magic world because too many sub quests )
---------------
fate stay night UBW - 11
Fate%20Stay%20Night%20-%20Unlimited%20Blade%20Works%20-%2011.jpg
Angry Rin , Tsundere shirou and .... that's it ?

Oh there was Taiga doing some taiga things.

GrandHusk

Inou Battle 1-2
R4hdKoC.jpg

well well after watching KLK I was expecting something different from TRIGGER.
but I'm really enjoying it's comedy, even though it went to the waifu route in ep 2
6ba.gif

she's right! there are a lots of cute girls
that can kill me

edit: dammit... posted two times

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Japanese Simpsons?

Or "that thing with the most manga volumes"

I wonder how anyone even attempts to catch up on this. It's above 1,800 chapters now making even Hajime no Ippo look easy in comparison.

It looks like Kochikame sold 155 million tankobon across all of its volumes according to data from 2012, so I assume it's very easy to find cheap used copies or find them in public libraries. Even so, it would be like trying to go back and read Superman from Action Comics #1.

Accel World - 7

Glad to see Taku's gotten things under control again.

I'm liking how normal all the opponents act in the Brain Burst fights. I was expecting them to all act like that biker guy from the first episode. Instead they just act like these fights are just going about their daily business.

I don't know why I like this so much. Maybe it's because in GBF TRY, almost every enemy is hyped up to the max as some super-strong enemy only for the team to defeat them in the same episode that I've gotten used to that sort of thing.

Ventara

Sword Art Online 2 Episode 21

So Kirito takes on 50 guys while Asuna and the Sleeping Knights break through the 20 guys blocking the boss room door. Of course, they beat the boss. While celebrating everyone wears a forlorn face when Asuna asks if she can join, and Yuuki flat out logs out when Asuna points out she called her "sis." This obviously will lead to some tragic situation they have. I bet Yuuki or her sis are gonna die in real life or something like that. I mean, come on. "Sleeping" Knights?

Anyways, this was a good episode. We got to see Kirito slice through some magic arrows and be a badass, a nice fight with a floor boss and some foreshadowing to some tragic events surrounding the reason why the Sleeping Knights will be disbanding. The only thing missing was Asuna's sexy mom in some lingerie. There's gotta be some doujinshi for that, right?

Oh, and we get an exclusive sneak peak at the floor 100 boss.

Ronja the Robber's Daughter 1-2

U1oiUWh.jpg
3Qo9r2W.jpg

fBq4FCx.jpg
OKl4wOB.jpg

YK7CCZj.jpg
RLF46gc.jpg

Beautiful landscapes.

So this show seems to have gotten a lot of premature flak for being CG and being directed by Goro Miyazaki, but it's actually pretty good so far. The CG isn't perfect - some of the shading is a little flat - but it doesn't compare unfavorably with Western TV CG productions. The CG animation itself is fluid - thankfully it doesn't use the limited frame-rate which is so distracting in many Japanese CG productions - and it does the best job I've seen anime CG do at portraying subtle human character movements and facial expressions, which is pretty important in a series that's all about characterization. As can be seen above, the art design of the natural world is lush and vibrant; the pre-production work by Ghibli paying off here.

The story so far is simple, light-hearted, and charming, and the direction mirrors that by being unostentatious and observational. That doesn't mean it's dull either, there's some good use of the 3D camera, and a couple nice touches such as the smooth transition between Mattis spinning Ronja as a baby and him spinning her as a child. Ronja herself isn't characterized too much yet beyond wide-eyed optimism and curiousity, but we haven't seen much of her yet beyond her time as a baby. The relationship Mattis has with his daughter is certainly well characterized, and you can feel the tender parent's love that has softened this gruff robber. It's good to have this emotional core established right off the bat.

Being an adaptation of a classic Western children's book, this certainly harkens back to the days of World Masterpiece Theater, the program that brought us such masterpieces as Anne of Green Gables. I don't think this will be as good - Goro isn't going to match Takahata, and I doubt the source material is as strong as Anne - but it's quality wholesome family entertainment, and this world could always use more of that.

HEROMAN - 6

I really like how this show is going in terms of pacing. Like, from the premise, I was half-expecting a MOTW kind of show.

Instead, we've got planning an all out attack on the alien base, the president being super scared about having to resort to using a nuke on the spheres, and there's also
the issue of Will and Nick being turned into aliens.

It's not bad. Already we're doing what seems to be a final battle scenario in this show with the heroes walking towards the enemy base, and I have to say, it's exciting!

Yu Yu Hakusho 1

Decided to start here instead of post Tournament arc because why not.

That kid was too innocent to not know that people die when they are killed. Also the ending is cool. I forgot how cool it was.

Rainy

Banned
Zankyou no Terror 1-11

I searched on GAF and I know a lot of people didn't like the show, but I loved it. Besides the awful female characters.

Yu Yu Hakusho 2

Damn, Kuwabara is so infamous with people. And useful while jobbing from day one.

Keiko is pretty vanilla, but still lives up to being the childhood friend.

Atsuko's dream about Yusuke leading demons seems like foreshadowing in hindsight.

How's the story in Ronja? Animation doesn't bother me, but I wasn't too interested in the show from what I read of the story/characters. If it's enjoyable and has a Ghibli charm to it though I'll give it a try.

Ventara

Sword Art Online 2 Episode 22

I called it. Heartfelt and tragic past, so the Sleeping Knights are composed of terminal patients, and two of them are gonna die soon, so they decided to disband after leaving some sort of proof of their existence in ALO via the memorial. Yuuki has AIDS and has been using a form of Amusphere called Medicuboid for 3 years straight, which has helped her with the pain and allowed her to experience ALO since she can't go outside. Kinda cliched, though tragic all the same.

But it seems Asuna can still grant one of Yuuki's wishes to go to school. Probably using Kirito's little device. We'll find out next episode.

Yu Yu Hakusho 1

Decided to start here instead of post Tournament arc because why not.

That kid was too innocent to not know that people die when they are killed. Also the ending is cool. I forgot how cool it was.

Is this your first time watching YYH? It's pretty awesome all-around, so don't skip anything. One of my favourite shounen anime. Oh, and once you're done, be sure to watch the abridged version on youtube for some major laughs.

HEROMAN - 7

Huh, didn't expect that for this show.

If I expected someone to turn over to the dark side out of stubborness, it would be Will, since he was jealous of Heroman and all. Instead it was his side-kick who ended up being the stubborn one, using his newfound power to finally break out of Will's shadow. Not bad.

Is this your first time watching YYH? It's pretty awesome all-around, so don't skip anything. One of my favourite shounen anime. Oh, and once you're done, be sure to watch the abridged version on youtube for some major laughs.

Second actually. I was planning to start after the Dark Tournament, but then I went fuck it, lets start from the beginning again.

Awesome, didn't know. It isn't too surprising considering that the manga is still going and that we've been trolled plenty of times before with "this is the ending of Gintama". Good thing I held off on reading the manga.

Yeah it has lots of material to adapt, can't wait till April.

Need Madao to return too.

Himemiya

How's the story in Ronja? Animation doesn't bother me, but I wasn't too interested in the show from what I read of the story/characters. If it's enjoyable and has a Ghibli charm to it though I'll give it a try.

There's no avoiding that the story's going further into star-crossed lovers territory as it goes along, but this is a slice of life show. You watch it for the characters, exploring the world, and Ronja growing as a person. Show could be classified as adventure too and there's some real tense moments, but what hosannainexcelsis said about it being (quality) wholesome family entertainment is still true. Whether or not it's enjoyable depends on the person, but I'd say it does have "Ghibli charm" if such a thing were stretched into a multi-episode series, and with the even more fleshed-out characters and relationships that a longer duration would allow.

Posts about people watching it make me happy.

Yu Yu Hakusho 3

Man those teachers are cartoonishly evil. I hope they eat shit and fall of their horses.

Being inside peoples bodies let them feel your presence, totatlly lewd when they can feel your feelings.

Will say though, there's a constant showing of loyalty going about, and it makes Kuwabara likable, even if he sounds like a tough dork

Yu Yu Hakusho 4

Keiko is so dedicated. Willing to risk her life to save a dead body.... and attempted to kiss a dead body too. She's weird, that girl.

I forgot it took some time for Yusuke to not be dead anymore.

GrandHusk

Yowamushi Pedal ep 1

Anime is dead in this show.
But I really like what I saw and the CG didn't bother me, they were well implemented. Love the design of the guys of the bike club.
Watching this anime makes me want to go out in my bicycle.

Inou Battle ep 3

Girls pls... super powers is a serious business
The conversation between Andou and Kiriu was hilarious and Mirei was absent during the whole ep.

Did you hear that Gintama is getting a new season?
What? I mean YESS!
When is this happening?

Zankyou no Terror 1-11

I searched on GAF and I know a lot of people didn't like the show, but I loved it. Besides the awful female characters.

I got the feeling back when it aired that the show would be better to those who have marathoned it rather than having watched it weekly.

Yowamushi Pedal ep 1

Anime is dead in this show.
But I really like what I saw and the CG didn't bother me, they were well implemented. Love the design of the guys of the bike club.
Watching this anime makes me want to go out in my bicycle.

Inou Battle ep 3

Girls pls... super powers is a serious business
The conversation between Andou and Kiriu was hilarious and Mirei was absent during the whole ep.

What? I mean YESS!
When is this happening?

The new Gintama season begins in April.

cajunator

Banned
Accel World - 7

Glad to see Taku's gotten things under control again.

I'm liking how normal all the opponents act in the Brain Burst fights. I was expecting them to all act like that biker guy from the first episode. Instead they just act like these fights are just going about their daily business.

I don't know why I like this so much. Maybe it's because in GBF TRY, almost every enemy is hyped up to the max as some super-strong enemy only for the team to defeat them in the same episode that I've gotten used to that sort of thing.

Its just really fun. The characters work, the setting works, the story works. Its nothing that really stands out but it just feels great to watch.

Yu Yu Hakusho 5

Well at least it only took half an episode to give him his body back.

Wonder if Yusuke will still be tsun towards Keiko... of course he will.

Yu Yu Hakusho 6

We begin again as a Spirit Detective, introducing both Kurama, and Hiei in one episode.... and one other schmuck that won't be relevant later on.

Forgot how Kurama was involved with this, but he clearly doesn't have the evil edgelord vibe like Hiei does.

Also that fucking cartoonishly evil teacher is back. Given he stole the fucking things from kids, I have to call to question the principal. He seems to be better than those two, but given their track record up to now, why hasn't he fucking fired them? He's not very effective as a principal if he keeps letting this shit go on.

Yu Yu Hakusho 7

Two artifacts gained in one episode. Yusuke sets a speed record in doing shit compared to other heroes. And Kurama's situation was just corny as fuck.

Working!!! season 3, 2015 summer

Skipping this time

Yu Yu Hakusho 8

Despite not being strong enough to beat in a straight up fight, Yusuke wins via strategy. Hunter x Hunter hoo.

Hell the next arc totally reminds me of the Hunter Exams even. Togashi must've been learning after making this show to apply it to HxH.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon R: Episode 65:

Well, to make up the fact that the last episode actually focused on the plot, we double up on the new powers as Mako and Minako are paired up to actually address the demons that haunt their past and maybe actually advance and grown both characters a bit. Hard to say with this program because you never know when they are going to snap back into old personalities. Also, were this a series of more recent vintage this would probably be the jumping off point for a potential yuri relationship but given where we are the two of them just really are good friends, who will never get steady dates. Seriously, what the hell happened to the arcade operator? We also get some insight into what they are calling The Specter Sister this time around, I do like that Rubius has his own quirky mini-boss squad as that means he can rotate out the Field Sargent or indeed have more then one on the ground to give this arcs villains a differing dynamic then Dark Kingdom, also helps they they don't exactly get along. All and all this was a pretty typical episode heaped on with the usual R bullshit, recommended to watch overall.

Cross Ange 12

"Guys, shit's fucked up and it's totally our fault. How do we deal?"
"Let's just kill everyone and pretend the last few centuries never happened"
"That's a plan I can get behind!"

Yu Yu Hakusho 9

Our next enemy is Rando Griffin, and we're in the Hunter Exam, only at a much faster pace, probably because there's not a lot of mechanics to flesh out in comparison.

Yu Yu Hakusho 10

Oh wait, there are mechanics used later on in HxH persisting in this show. Mainly for Material Girls and Steroid Enhancements.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon R: Episode 66:

Not going to lie, this episode was an absolute slog to watch as it pushes the hated elements of Sailor Moon R and made all of it the focus and I needed to pause the video at points so I didn't eat my own arm off in boredom and frustration. Not much new to note here otherwise other this was basically macro-foreshadowing of things to come and also Minako is starting to really develop her ditzy personality. Strongest recommendation to evade this episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom