• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 |OT2| Idly waiting for the Dog Days of Sabre

Status
Not open for further replies.

VRMN

I try not to weigh too heavily on the ending of any given series. It's important, but it's not a be all end all one way or the other. There's only one show I can think of where the last episode by itself torpedoed my opinion of the entire series, Mai-HiME. This wasn't even close to that bad, but it still felt bittersweet in a way that lacked any type of firm conclusion.

Here's my problem; it's not that they didn't "fix" the problems generated by the actual ending in episode 11, preferring to simply allude to a potential future solution. That's not objectionable. It's just that they drifted into it, not really explaining much, not really putting much in stone. It felt almost entirely unnecessary; like they could have done the same thing in the last two minutes of the last episode instead of doing this "will they, won't they" dance. Maybe that's better than pseudo-magic bullshit, but the time travel mechanic was already pseudo-magic bullshit, with the unexplained cube and unexplained origins of the
first Yui

At the end of the day, I'm at least a little sore over the lack of a happy ending, something rather richly deserved by Yui after the crap she went through. But I'm hard-pressed to fault a show just for not ending the way I personally wanted to. I can see they were trying to go for a sad ending with some hope there at the end, but I just don't think it worked because of how stretched out it was.

The series as a whole still feels like a poor man's Steins;Gate in more than a few ways. But the characters were still reasonably enjoyable and I can't say I hated anyone, even if Kenny was kind of annoying and Kaori was more than a little overbearing. I really liked Yui and she was sympathetic enough to carry the show for me. But, again, the lukewarm, bittersweet conclusion brought down the show for me. Not to the point of it being bad, but definitely to a level of mediocrity I thought it had a chance to exceed until the final episode dashed those hopes entirely. 6/10

GrandHusk

Yowamushi Pedal ep 2

Imaizumi da god! jesus this guy is fast! can't wait to see all the serious races
Sakamichi has cray resistance going up in a hill in a common bike is crazy painful and He was doing that since fourth grade?

Inou Battle ep 6

Sayumi should use that hairstyle with the glasses all the time.
tumblr_ndhmfjb16q1tuyyugo1_500.gif

Goddess
And Mirei appeared for like 5 seconds

Dragon Collection Episode 38
B5dxuVMCcAAfYKa.jpg

Yuna why you hold Rei's hand :( I bet she will also get a dragon key...

Oreca Battle 38

Cant wait to see what Saqqara does, I think Flow and Heat can beat him. Maybe one will evolve, or maybe Dante will appear again.

Up to episode 7 of Princess Tutu now. Still continues to basically be the cutest show ever!

Yeah its adorable. Dub or sub? Dub gives you the wonderful Luci Christian and she puts her adorable heart into that role. Neko sensei is just great no matter what.

Dub, since we're watching it for now on my gf's tiny tv. Pretty pleased with the quality!

Gugure Kokkuri-san - 02

I was actually pretty surprised to see the shift to a slightly more serious tone in the first half of the episode. It made me wonder whether or not they were going to try to establish some overarching character development for our protagonist for the rest of the series. And then Inugami was introduced. He's uh ... something alright. Now the responses make some sense ...

Yuri route is best.

Rage of Bahamut 11

Despite the promising start, this series ultimately ended up being exactly what you'd expect from a F2P game adaptation.

JoeFu

Banned
I did a watch trade
(not calling it a bet, seriously you aren't betting anything)
with Himemiya and now I'm watching Ronja!

I knew nothing about this show other than Ghibli was involved. Didn't know about the CG or anything so it took me by surprise.

I like how it looks though!

The CG actually blends well with the background sometimes, or doesn't look too distracting at least.

Episode 1+2

Was a pretty good episode. Kept me interested and laughed at some stuff. CG baby was cute

iupGTXbWlcXxy.png

so many spectators for breastfeeding lol

iFbL02ipqL58T.png

The timeskip was quick and I didn't see it coming! I like how they did it though.

Interested to see where it goes!

Jex

This is the first season I've been following, and these were the shows:
  • Mushishi
  • Bahamut
  • Anima(tor) exhibition
  • Fate
    [*]Parasyte
    [*]Garo
I'm regretting the bolded. I should have a three strikes system or something, but Parasyte and Garo are definitely getting dropped now. Tempted to drop Fate as well after the shonen antics of episode 10.

I would pick up Shirobako this winter, but I think I've learned that I prefer watching finished shows. Less disappointments that way and a freer schedule. Sucks not being "with it" but it's probably a price worth paying.

This is something we all have to deal with, as a consumer of on-going entertainment. Hitokage, RIP, was a firm believer in "Wait Until It's Done" and while that's a fine way to avoid disappointment I wouldn't want to be so divorced from the conservation. If I recommend only picking a few shows that you're certain will be good and also dropping shows that disappoint you very quickly.

Mature

This is the first season I've been following, and these were the shows:
  • Mushishi
  • Bahamut
  • Anima(tor) exhibition
  • Fate
    [*]Parasyte
    [*]Garo
I'm regretting the bolded. I should have a three strikes system or something, but Parasyte and Garo are definitely getting dropped now. Tempted to drop Fate as well after the shonen antics of episode 10.

I would pick up Shirobako this winter, but I think I've learned that I prefer watching finished shows. Less disappointments that way and a freer schedule. Sucks not being "with it" but it's probably a price worth paying.
You take the good with the bad when you're watching on-going stuff. While it sucks that what you're watching isn't a "sure thing", there's something to be said about finding the magic in something right as it's airing.

Himemiya

Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet 3

Pirate empress didn't go down without a fight, that was a crazy take-down. Oh and human lives matter.

I did a watch trade
(not calling it a bet, seriously you aren't betting anything)
with Himemiya and now I'm watching Ronja!

Yay! The timeskip and everything you said makes me think you've also watched the second ep. If it was 45 minutes long that's because the premiere was a double-airing.

Tuck

Garo the Animation
Promising start, though someone above said hes regretting watching.

Bahumut
Same deal as above. I'm gonna go ahead and keep watching both though, as I just really wanted a fantasy anime to watch.

phaze

Shingeki no Bahamut 11

I'm not sure if it's just me but quite a few action scenes felt iffy, as if the budget was not quite there to cover the entirety of this hectic episode.

Despite a number of contrived events taking place here, the relentless pacing + the amazing duck riding and Rita banter sold it for me.
Now to see what the writers will pull to have Bahamut defeated.

Thankfully, Jeanne has found her way anew.

DEATH™

Inou Battle 12

Darn that was serious and scary...
Getting your arm cut off just to get the burning hand out of you is some dark stuff...

Mirei getting also the best moment here. Season 2 will be fun...

Midonin

Inou Battle 12 + Final Thoughts

There's no success with risks, and they're lucky that they have the power set to cover such a scenario. I still don't have much of an attachment to Trigger in particular doing this series, but the series itself turned out to be one of my favorite to talk about this season. I don't think Hatoko's speech in episode 7, stand out as it was, was what the author "really" thinks. If anything, that would be the last line of the series as a whole.

"Superpowers are the coolest thing ever! And cool is all they need to be."

That doesn't mean that they can't be analyzed, picked apart, examined or questioned, but the point is that these powers, and the part of anime culture where they make their home, are about giving a sense of imagination and wonder to life that may not make an ordinary life into an extraordinary one, but perhaps can make it a little better, and easier to get through.

Jurai doesn't care that there's a war on, and as the fairies themselves revealed, they're doing it because they're bored. It's a "war" in the same sense that Dog Days is. At all levels, people are doing this to seek out some sort of meaning in their life. Sayumi and Tomoyo can do it in their own way, Chifuyu is finding hers, and even Hatoko is realizing that she may be a better fit for this strange world than she thinks.

And that's just based on the finale. I think this was a smart series. It had a lot to say about the nature of fandom and chuuni and imagination, especially through Tomoyo and Jurai's relationship. There were a few questionable moments - such as Jurai pulling a Kyosuke - but overall, not enough for me to dislike it. The OP and ED were pretty catchy, too.

It's a pretty good example of what the post-modern, self-reflective, otaku culture as explained by people who love it sort of anime that, with the way it uses magic to mundane ends, kinda reminds me of what I loved about Outbreak Company. There's a fair bit to pull apart here.

Thumbs up!

Shingeki no Bahamut - 11

Yeah I'm really not caring about this any longer. Will of course stray for the final episode but I can only agree that it became what you'd initially expect anyways. Overall maybe still worth a watch but dropped off for me similarly to Kokkuri-san.

GrandHusk

Inou Battle ep 6

I share the sentiment.
tumblr_nfhprnHQNr1qeq8xmo5_500.gif

Damn Hatoko exploded in this episode, I wasn't expecting that to happened at all, but hopefully it will give Andou some reality check, even if he keeps being a chuuni he needs to understand better the people around him and not force them in his hallucinations.
And what the hell did Kiryu at the end?
Definitely the best episode so far.

Inou Battle ep 6

I share the sentiment.
tumblr_nfhprnHQNr1qeq8xmo5_500.gif

Damn Hatoko exploded in this episode, I wasn't expecting that to happened at all, but hopefully it will give Andou some reality check, even if he keeps being a chuuni he needs to understand better the people around him and not force them in his hallucinations.
And what the hell did Kiryu at the end?
Definitely the best episode so far.

Been on a bit of a new anime hiatus for a month or two, but I think I'll go back and finish this off. Seems entertaining enough at least.

Shingeki no Smaug 11

UH OH DEATHWING IS WAKING UP GOOD THING THE GODS ARE HERE TO...WATCH?
No seriously isn't Shenron strong enough to destroy everything including them?
Decent episode, some nice sakuga and Rita antics.
I wonder if Favaro will be the key to stopping Fin Fang Foom!
Actually I don't because it's obvious

0080: War in the Pocket: 04-END

(Insert Joke about Hamburgers here)
And yes 08th MS Team should be your next stop.

mhayze

The link to "Anime Year by Year" in the OP points to a dead site. Too bad, I would have liked to check that out.

Just finished watching all 12 episodes of Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou/Daily Lives of High School Boys/Nichibros and damn was it good. I don't watch much comedy anime but I think its a damn rare talent to have me consistently laugh throughout each episode.

I see there are also 7 specials to the series, anyone know if they are just as good?

Just finished watching all 12 episodes of Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou/Daily Lives of High School Boys/Nichibros and damn was it good. I don't watch much comedy anime but I think its a damn rare talent to have me consistently laugh throughout each episode.

I see there are also 7 specials to the series, anyone know if they are just as good?

Naw, those specials were just cut up pieces to be aired on NicoNico before the actual show's airing. I'm fairly certain every short is included in the series.

You should try Cromartie High School.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
My first new anime in awhile is the Squid Girl OVA and it was just pleasant. I think there's something to be said for a slice of life situational comedy that isn't too insular or specific. Heck, they even gave Sanae a "happy" ending of sorts.

Naw, those specials were just cut up pieces to be aired on NicoNico before the actual show's airing. I'm fairly certain every short is included in the series.

You should try Cromartie High School.
and if willing to watch 200+ episodes of the same style of comedy: Gintama.
My first new anime in awhile is the Squid Girl OVA and it was just pleasant. I think there's something to be said for a slice of life situational comedy that isn't too insular or specific. Heck, they even gave Sanae a "happy" ending of sorts.
Where's your avatar?!

VRMN

This was definitely my surprise of the season. I was kind of along for the ride just because Trigger was doing the show and it was streaming, so why not give it a shot? I was, to say the least, rewarded for my nearly unfounded faith. Inou Battle had excellent animation, fantastic characters, and surprisingly sharp writing that impressed from nearly the very beginning and continued unabated through the finale.

The premise is a rather amusing subversion on the whole "suddenly superpowers" shounen subgenre and it's really well written in doing the subverting. There's a few dark moments and hints at something more dangerous lurking in the background, but these are more punch lines the show refuses to focus on to its benefit. Jurai's power being useless despite being the most gung ho about it, the others' powers being interesting ways of illustrating their inner issues, the dynamic of the group, decent commentary on the genre in parodying several aspects...it's all really well done and not what I'd expect from a light novel adaptation.

There were a couple times I thought, "oh, here comes the real story," but it gets shoved back into the background because that's not what the show's about. Even that "real story" was more of a joke and commentary in and of itself, with the "true purpose" of these powers being an even more meaningless game. It felt like a poke at Fate/Stay Night that is probably only timely because of coincidence. All of this solid writing was tucked behind some amazing performances from the cast, most notably Saori Hayami as Hatoko, and production values that, after this and Kill la Kill, I think may be Trigger's calling card.

That's not to say the show has no problems. It still has the standard issue problem of the main character being a guy who makes every girl around him fall in love with him, but is hapless enough to remain ignorant of their rather obvious feelings for him. It's in so many shows to the point that it's almost a medium flaw, but of course it's not. Rather, it's a cliché that's relied on heavily for no particular reason than to generate shipping wars and the interest that comes from said wars. It's pretty universally bad writing and, even though Jurai was an excellent protagonist, it's still the case here.

That said, "yet another show where all the notable girls fall in love with the main character" might be my most significant issue with the entire series. If they had maybe just made it Tomoyo and Hatoko, I could have tolerated it easier, because those two and their developments, particularly the centerpiece of the whole series, the development and arc around Hatoko's relationship with "chuunibyou" and Jurai himself, were absolutely amazing. Though they failed to stick the landing awkwardly in a status quo preserving pratfall, which was annoying.

That in a way sums up my thoughts on the whole series. It's an interesting premise with likable characters that trips and falls on cliché it would be better off avoiding entirely. It does this so well with its super powers, but fails with the romantic comedy aspect depressingly. But it's still a lot of fun despite this failure and I recommend it wholeheartedly. I look enthusiastically towards Trigger's next project. 8/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom