• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 |OT2| Idly waiting for the Dog Days of Sabre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midonin

Denki-Gai 11

The Secret Origin of G-Men. Childhood experiences can shape one's future, and that holds true here. It took up about half the episode, but it was a cute story. The Sensei story was similar to one from earlier in the season, but Tsumorin's running commentary made it worth it. Especially revealing how she used to be just like that. Looks like the show's going into romantic full throttle for wrapping up the last of its plotlines next week. Having Yuu Kobayashi herself provide the endcard was a work of genius. This has been one of the cuter shows of the season, and is definitely the lowest-energy Thursday show.

Link Man

Banned
Hmm... maybe I should come back from my semi-hiatus from this thread. Maybe.

...All I've really got to say is I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying is the cutest show airing this season.

Have to agree with this, but Denki-Gai is a close second.

Mothman91

Sounds like Only Yesterday.

F3xZhuU.jpg

How's the movie? My friend keeps on telling me to watch it.

Shergal

How's the movie? My friend keeps on telling me to watch it.

It's a quiet, unassuming, "slow" character study with diffuse narrative beats. Most of the run-time is spent on introspection to achieve this, rather than plot development.

It's my favourite anime. Watch it!

Tenumi

Banned
Chaika -The Coffin Princess- Avenging Battle (END)

Well, yes, I can definitely agree that it felt very rushed at the end. And from how it appears, this is conclusively, the end for the series. What really bugged me was
Fredrica being perfectly fine with no explanation several times in the last two episodes.

Combining the seasons, the show was well worth the watch. Not a perfect show by any means, but something enjoyable enough to be worth the time to check out.

Sakura

Chaika -The Coffin Princess- Avenging Battle (END)

Well, yes, I can definitely agree that it felt very rushed at the end. And from how it appears, this is conclusively, the end for the series. What really bugged me was
Fredrica being perfectly fine with no explanation several times in the last two episodes.

Combining the seasons, the show was well worth the watch. Not a perfect show by any means, but something enjoyable enough to be worth the time to check out.
I was more confused by the black Chaika.
Wasn't she like, lying on the floor in a pool of her own blood dying after giving birth to the emperor dude? But then in the next episode she seems totally fine?

Midonin

Shirobako 10

Quitting (and not knowing when to quit) looks to be the major theme of this episode. Surprised that Misa was inspired by their universe's version of Happy Feet or Penguins of Madagascar. One of those movies. The foley artist stuff was really fun, and I'm glad I was able to see more of the voice recording stuff. From what I've pieced together of Exodus!, it sounds like a fun show - and really, the upcoming season's Rolling Girls reminds me a bit of what we've seen. I'm loving the more surreal animation bits, too, like the part with Aoi running through the hall of storyboards. It lends the whole thing the "anime" feel rather than the documentary-ish feel.

Ef - A Tale of Memories 12

And that's the en... err... start of the story :p

It's a pretty good sad story. Not enough to make me cry though, but the mood is amazing. Could you say that there's such a thing as a healing sad anime? Well... This is probably it, if so. It's the show that Sola should have been.

The animation is pretty bad sometimes, even the fancy tricks can't hide that. The music has a few missteps, but most of the time it's really great. Decent enough OP full of Engrish :p

For the amazing mood and pretty good sad stuff, this gets a strong 4/5 diary paper airplanes:
rvM4Zz6.png
rvM4Zz6.png
rvM4Zz6.png
rvM4Zz6.png
jGdeaqm.png

Are you going to watch the follow-up tale of melodies next?

I found it to be the better of the two and it is easily my top Romance anime.

jman2050

Shirobako 10

So in the end it's going to be revealed that Oi-chan has a brain tumor requiring immediate surgery and that that's what's been causing her wild hallucinations.

The Foley scenes were pretty great, especially the roaring.

Meguro

Banned
I'd say either keep it vague enough to not need the spoiler tag or spoiler tag info that would normally be considered a spoiler if it had come out more recently. That's usually what I do.

I think I´m gonna try to spoiler tag everything I think is important since being vague is hard (atleast for me).

Thanks for the answer!

Continue on as Yuu, Yuuko, Shuucihi, and Mizuki are easily the best characters in the cast.

Yeah but I just love
the resolution Renji and Chihiro have at the end of memories, what with her not being able to stop thinking of Renji for more than 13 hours. I wanted to see more of those two together.

In fact, that may be another one of my biggest gripes with anime next to the fact that there's no cute SOL anime where the group consists of a lot of girls and one or two guys that isn't a harem/drama/complicated story.

Is there no anime out there where the guy and girl just flat out LOVE each other so much and aren't afraid to show it?

Like, I'm not talking about them doing cute things together and confessing their love at the end of the series, no no.

I'm talking about them being together from the start and flat-out enjoying the time they're spending together while both knowing that they love each other, no questions asked. Is there really no show out there like that?

Branduil

Shirobako 10

This episode seems to take on the high burnout rate of the anime industry, with several character quitting their current job to pursue their true dream, and others thinking about it. As for Miyamori, her animation hell has only just begun. Anime seems stressful enough without working for an irresponsible director, I wonder how common that actually is.

I'd like to think the brief shot of Zuka in the play was an "F U" to the Beckett Estate.

duckroll

Psycho-Pass 2 - Episode 10

Lol, half the episode was Akane having exposition monologues with herself explaining things which are already really clear to anyone following the show. Too bad this episode wasn't as edgy and try-hard as the last few, that's the only thing that makes the show really entertaining. Could have used some close ups of the body for example, with more mindbreak reactions from Akane. Oh well. Only one more episode to go~

Just watched Twintail episode 10

To everyone who still watching this show: somehow, they able to hit the new low in this week(yeah worse than last week), get ready for it.

jman2050

Just watched Twintail episode 10

To everyone who still watching this show: somehow, they able to hit the new low in this week(yeah worse than last week), get ready for it.

I thought the whole Jiggly Jiggly Heaven thing from Shirobako was just typical exaggeration for effect.

I was wrong.

I was so so wrong.

Shirobako 10

Was quietly hoping that the director would make a drunken pass at her in the taxi. The girls could have a talk about their experiences of sekohara over dunkin donuts.

Ef - A Tale of Memories 12

And that's the en... err... start of the story :p

It's a pretty good sad story. Not enough to make me cry though, but the mood is amazing. Could you say that there's such a thing as a healing sad anime? Well... This is probably it, if so. It's the show that Sola should have been.

The animation is pretty bad sometimes, even the fancy tricks can't hide that. The music has a few missteps, but most of the time it's really great. Decent enough OP full of Engrish :p

For the amazing mood and pretty good sad stuff, this gets a strong 4/5 diary paper airplanes:
rvM4Zz6.png
rvM4Zz6.png
rvM4Zz6.png
rvM4Zz6.png
jGdeaqm.png
Glad to see you enjoyed it, this is one of the few romantic dramas in anime I actually enjoy.

The sequel series isn't bad by any means, just not nearly as masterful. It's like if you compared having a delicious meal in a 5-star restaurant, to having a burger at a popular place.

Wow it is really hard to remember the anime I've seen this year. Guess I will just go with these

Gundam Build Fighters Second OP
Tonari no Seki-kun OP
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun OP - I didn't actually finish this series, but the song played all the time at work so it got stuck in my head.
Hanayamata OP
Shirogane no Ishi Argevollen OP 1
Shirogane no Ishi Argevollen OP 2

Tonari no Seki-kun ED
Majimoji Rurumo ED
Shirogane no Ishi ED 2

As a side note why is it so hard to find OPs and EDs on youtube now?

Light Novel 11 comes out on the 20th of this month. Though no idea if it will be the same as the anime because it is not out yet to read.
I think the OVA might just be a fanservice thing.

No love for Argevollen ED's? I love ED1 Faith, such a good song.

cajunator

Banned
My RightStuf order with KLK Vol 3. shipped today.

Even though: Date Available - Dec 23 2014

Not mine yet :(
But Non non Biyori should get here today!

Hmm... maybe I should come back from my semi-hiatus from this thread. Maybe.

...All I've really got to say is I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying is the cutest show airing this season.

Yeah it really might be, but Celestial Method, Denki Gai, and Chaika were airing too.

Shirobako 10

This episode seems to take on the high burnout rate of the anime industry, with several character quitting their current job to pursue their true dream, and others thinking about it. As for Miyamori, her animation hell has only just begun. Anime seems stressful enough without working for an irresponsible director, I wonder how common that actually is.

I'd like to think the brief shot of Zuka in the play was an "F U" to the Beckett Estate.

It probably has an even higher burnout rate than dispatching.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG 5

I always felt the political situation in Stand Alone Complex was under explored in the first season. I'm liking how it seems to becoming the main focus in 2nd GIG. Hopefully the Individual Eleven Arc continues to go into more detail.

Crocodile

Sabagebu 1-12

I checked this out because it was on that list of "good anime" hosannainexcelsis posted earlier. It took a bit of time for me to warm up to this but this was pretty damn hilarious. As with most comedies, some episodes were big hits and some were misses. Fried Chicken Lemon (who names their child/themselves that?) was a bit overused. The first half of Episode 8 with the photographers kind of pissed me off (why is nobody arresting these gross assholes?). But overall a lot of laughs. Momoka being a raging bitch was also fun to see in action.

Sabagebu Special 1

Better production values but lewder than I was expecting O_O

Ef - A Tale of Melodies 01

That's an interesting way of starting things.

So there's both a story in the past and after what happened in the first show then. Guess hat girl will finally get explained, there's German instead of English text and cat ears.

Ef - A Tale of Melodies 01

That's an interesting way of starting things.

So there's both a story in the past and after what happened in the first show then. Guess hat girl will finally get explained, there's German instead of English text and cat ears.

Yep. I liked over-all the story of the first season better, but the MC of the past story in this season is 10x better that any of the MC's last season imho.

Shirobako - 10

All that suffering...

It must feel awful for Aoi to be this uncertain about her job's future and see a bunch of people drop out within her first year already. If the other production assistant drops out its only her and incompetent fool left doing that job, and the producer himself is leaving to boot. Wonder where that leaves her at the end of the season. Perhaps she'll get a chance to rise in rank a tad quicker if she does really well? Ain't that common in Japanese businesses but maybe that doesn't quite count for the anime industry if it 'burns through' employees at that rate. Though it's more likely they'll rather fill in these positions by hiring proven talent.

Really though, anything could happen at the end of Shirobako. With how much of an uncompromising, realistic take this show has taken so far, I wonder who of the 5 girls (and others) will have drawn the short stick by the end. I kinda cannot imagine it ending on an entirely positive note for everyone.

Well, on a less depressing side, loved the more fantastically animated pieces in this episode. Especially the director finishing the storyboards in his super form.

Midonin

Twintail 10

The curse has been used plenty before. One of the first examples I can think of is one of the Kasumi brothers in Hurricanger. That which disorients, clouds and makes into a potential source of conflict. Of course, because this show is what it is, that curse appears to be
turning Souji into a girl (futanari? I'd be okay with that) permanently
via Spider Guildy's web. Souji's mom's suggestion about the show moving to the Precure slot was a great little bit, too. Since GoPri has three girls to start with, and it would be as close as this show could get to the real Super Hero Time, living beside Kamen Rider Drive.

Yes, the animation wasn't all that great, but things like that don't bother me. These things are usually patched at least a bit for the home video release, and as long as the story's interesting, I can overlook the animation to an extent. To some degree the animation is the story as well, but taking the good with the bad is all part of being a fan.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG 6

A meh episode and the worst one so far. Togusa the main character but it really isn't about him and the story in general just wasn't that interesting.

Clov

Shirobako 10

Yeah, I appreciated that. :p

Would be nice if we got to see her on the stage for a bit later on. Maybe Zuka will become torn between stage acting and voice acting? Well, not likely, but it would be neat. Either way, the more Godot references they toss in the happier I'll be.

Shirobako 10:
Can't save anime if you quit it. It makes sense to look at the burnout in the industry, and also to see the reasons why some people might quit (Honda will probably be happy finally doing what he really cares about). The scenes with Kinoshita and Honda were a highlight this episode. Aoi's going to have a tough time getting the final episode ready to air.

Ef - A Tale of Melodies 02

Uh-huh...

Guess he's
dying
or something then, since he's
sold off mostly everything he owns and he's burning the mail
. And there's a look even further back into Yu's childhood. Oh, and they're in Australia? In a copied city? Weird.

phaze

From the Awful, Fucked Up World 19

"She's coming."

Oh God. Oh God. Oh God. Don't you dare do this to me.
Episode 16[ was already gut wrenching enough. Show, you're not Texhnolyze. Stop trying to be Texhnolyze. Stop making the worst possible scenario happen again and again.
If this is Maria then I don't even want to know what she went through.

Delving into the next one so I can hopefully confirm the answer to this million dollar question. All I will say here is that it was, just like its predecessor, a really gorgeous and tense episode. Cantus incinerations against the background of the night make for some striking visuals.

cajunator

Banned
From the Awful, Fucked Up World 19

"She's coming."

Oh God. Oh God. Oh God. Don't you dare do this to me.
Episode 16[ was already gut wrenching enough. Show, you're not Texhnolyze. Stop trying to be Texhnolyze. Stop making the worst possible scenario happen again and again.
If this is Maria then I don't even want to know what she went through.

Delving into the next one so I can hopefully confirm the answer to this million dollar question. All I will say here is that it was, just like its predecessor, a really gorgeous and tense episode. Cantus incinerations against the background of the night make for some striking visuals.

Its WORSE than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom