• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 |OT2| Idly waiting for the Dog Days of Sabre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midonin

Some more details for Go! Princess Precure have started to materialize, and we have the names and hero designations for next year.

Haruka Haruno/Cure Flora
Minami Kaidou/Cure Mermaid
Kirara Amanogawa/Cure Twinkle

Joe Molotov

Finished the last of the Precure movies. Here's my Precure Rankings

1. Heartcatch Precure
2. HappinessCharge Precure
3. Fresh Precure
4. Smile Precure
5. Futari wa Precure
6. Splash Star Precure
7. Yes! Precure 5
8. Yes! Precure 5 GoGo
9. Suite Precure
10. Dokidoki Precure
11. Heart Max Precure

Best Cure: Cure Marine

QJiahkE.jpg

Best Cure that was Evil then turned Good: Cure Beat

Worst Cure: Cure Echo, lol

Worst Canonical Cure: Cure Muse

Best OP: Splash Star Precure OP ~ Makasete★Splash☆Star★

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osgea5MeJRs

Best ED: Heartcatch Precure ED2 ~ Tomorrow Song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmEmgwT88Dg

Best Yuri: Yuri.

Best Good Friends Holding Hands in a Platonic Way: Nagisa x Honoka

Worst Canon Romantic Pairing: All of Them

Worstest Canon Romantic Pairing: Nozomi x Coco

Best Canon Romantic Pairing: Reika x Wolfrun

Best Noncanon Romantic Pairing: Mana x Everyone (Harem Ending)

Best Male General: Bunbee

Best Female General: Sasorina

Best Megane Monstergirl OL General: Anacondy

OyKRPAd.gif

Best Movie: Heartcatch Pretty Cure!: Hana no Miyako de Fashion Show... Desu ka!?

Worst Movie: Futari wa Pretty Cure Max Heart: The Movie

Puripuri Pretty! Kyuakyua Cutie!: All Star Beauty!

I'm always completely serious when I call your favorite anime shit.
Ah , such a tsundere , well we know you aren't serious :)

Never* but it's setup for a S2. Nothing too considerable has be affected from Trigger's ending.
Let there be hope !

I never watched Hyouka.
NO don't use that name, it's like putting oil on the fire.

Amazing i'm laughing .. Source ? it might intresting

Crocodile

Yes, it does because on GAF, at least, that term is loaded into "invalid thing that gets you banned."

Semantics. I can avoid using the word if it makes you antsy though. I don't think I misused the word but my intent was never to get you banned if that's what you thought so don't worry and sorry if you got spooked in that regard.

I'm not sure I understand how that relates to that particular analogy, though. Really, I don't even have a problem with hatewatching so as long there's a unique perspective involved or a really good reason to do it. But this is pretty far afield of the original discussion, which was mostly just that there's different levels of clique-iness, even within a niche genre like anime.

I'll admit I'm having a tough time putting this into words. I just feel some people are dead-set on not liking things to the point of watching them so they can remind us that they don't.

I thought your point was a counterpoint to Jintor's basically begin statement/observation. If it's not then I'm not sure what you meant by that particular post but I guess it doesn't matter much given this particular post quoted. I don't think there's a way to avoid multiple people having similar things to say about a work without enforcing a "you can't make additional posts about X unless you have something new to add" rule which is just silly. If lots of people are saying thing X is great/bad for the same reason Y, then they are likely just being accurate in what they observe. How can you possibly fix that (honest question)?

With regards to cliqueness, I mean elitism is a thing but addressing it is only useful on an individual to individual basis (if you care to of course). Otherwise you're kind of throwing your own critiques into the wind I feel :(

As for the last point, I think most people value their time enough not to watch something that has no redeeming qualities to them. That being said, there are lots of different reasons why someone may watch something they critique alot (heard it was good but was disappointed, sees a lot of potential but is annoyed at how it was squandered, as a critical exercise, watchbet, hatewatch, like the pretty fights but hate the characters, etc.) so things can be tricky.

Anyway, thank you for at least taking the time to further elaborate your points. I had a hard time following what you were trying to say initially. Dropping the accusatory tone from your first posts certainly helped too :p

1. Heartcatch Precure
3. Fresh Precure
4. Smile Precure
5. Futari wa Precure
6. Splash Star Precure
7. Yes! Precure 5
8. Yes! Precure 5 GoGo
9. Suite Precure
10. Dokidoki Precure
11. Heart Max Precure

OyKRPAd.gif

Best Movie: Heartcatch Pretty Cure!: Hana no Miyako de Fashion Show... Desu ka!?

>Wolfrun
>Worst romance isn't Nagisa x Fujipi or Nikaido x Mana
>Cure Beat

I'm surprised Cure Beat beat Passion for you, even though I like me some Beats.

Yu Yu Hakusho 31-32

"Yusuke may be flippant now-" They said this right as he gave Togoro the bird.

Other than, we had two men passionately fisting each other to the death in the span of an episode. The fighting is strong

Also the new ending is inferior to the first one

OH GOD THEY'RE DOING THE HARUHI DANCE IN THE COMIC. OFFICIALLY THE MOST HILARIOUS THING EVER, EVERYBODY PACK YOUR BAGS. IT'S LITERALLY THIS

My life is complete. MetroidPrimeRib thank you. I am here to thank at you.

1. Heartcatch Precure
3. Fresh Precure
4. Smile Precure
5. Futari wa Precure
6. Splash Star Precure
7. Yes! Precure 5
8. Yes! Precure 5 GoGo
9. Suite Precure
10. Dokidoki Precure
11. Heart Max Precure

OyKRPAd.gif

This post , such an Imppeccable TASTE
happre19.gif

Impressive , you really nailed the choices .
However you've made a typo :

3. Splash Star Precure
4. Smile Precure
5. Futari wa Precure
6. Fresh Precure

Here fixed it for you , now this post is trully perfect in every way.

Quasar

I already explained this: "There is a difference between hatewatching (which people are allowed to do) and watching a show but having issues whilst enjoying other aspects of it/hoping it improves/or being so invested time-wise that you see it all the way through (sunk cost fallacy at work)."

Well personally I loath hatewatching as a concept and feel its pretty damaging.

Yuki Yuna Is A Hero 3-4

Talk about literal death flags..err cards. These 2 episodes have been way too happy go lucky. The dread just kept on building these 2 episodes, seems like
Older Sister is going out first

Thanks ..it's was more entertaining than i expected.

Well personally I loath hatewatching as a concept and feel its pretty damaging.
Same here .

i Want to reaffirm that i watched blade and soul only to see just how deep it will go in the nonsense and the lack of sufficient production values
It was an experience that i will never forget ...

When I watched something like Black Rock Shooter, I watched it because I was genuinely interested.
I liked black rock shooter

There are standards of good direction, good art, good animation, good writing, good music, etc. Standards that are objective in nature, not just down to subjective preference.

I think this is more true for direction and animation than for art, music or writing. Standards certainly exist for those, but all of those are a lot more subjective in nature. There's definitely a lot of stuff you can look at and say are objectively bad, but there can be a lot more well reasoned and informed debate (eg not just saying 'I don't like it') about what is good. Different standards exist for different genres or types of stories, at styles, etc, and not everything will always work for everyone. There are technical standards that can still be evaluated, but I think it can be a lot less cut and dry in terms of what is considered 'good writing', unless you're just saying "has strong grammar, follows a coherent structure and doesn't introduce any plot twists which don't make sense".

cajunator

Banned
The only issue that I have with "objective standards" is that they frequently are used not as a tool for some kind of thoughtful/critical analysis but more often to debase others for enjoying something that you clearly do not. It's not uncommon for supposedly critical reviews to contain allusions to mental deficiency among other things on part of those who don't share the same opinion that they do.

I'm all for discussion, but not when it's used as a tool for boosting the ego of someone who bases their superiority over others on their choice of animated television programs.

fully agree. Its one thing to criticize a work. A rebuttal is fine and even healthy discussion. Its unhealthy when you talk down a PERSON which is when bans happen. I could call SAO shit all day long as long as I dont call people who watch it anything demeaning. If someone enjoys what I hate theres no harm in that.

Can't we all just go back to calling each others anime shit and knowing we aren't completely serious?

My favorite anime is pretty widely acclaimed to begin with so its difficult to take seriously. But even as a joke its like, whatever. I like a lot of anime stuff that makes many of yall cringe.

I think this is more true for direction and animation than for art, music or writing. Standards certainly exist for those, but all of those are a lot more subjective in nature. There's definitely a lot of stuff you can look at and say are objectively bad, but there can be a lot more well reasoned and informed debate (eg not just saying 'I don't like it') about what is good. Different standards exist for different genres or types of stories, at styles, etc, and not everything will always work for everyone. There are technical standards that can still be evaluated, but I think it can be a lot less cut and dry in terms of what is considered 'good writing', unless you're just saying "has strong grammar, follows a coherent structure and doesn't introduce any plot twists which don't make sense".

I think you can have objective ways of measuring very specific things in art, but for broad categories such as writing or direction or music, the idea that there is some objective standard is fairly absurd. But lack of objectivity doesn't mean there isn't meaningful debate or criticism to be made.

So after binging Nichibros I've decided hey, there's some Another .gifs on this thread, I'm going to watch that now!

So here I am and binged the 12-episode series of Another in a period of 3-4 hours.

Probably will get to doing an in-depth review at some point, but regardless this show was entertaining enough. But damn, this show has great production values but its horror element is mediocre. Sure the constant death scenes were entertaining and produced minor shock value, but you just kind of expect it. And I'm quite disappointing that the main mystery to the show
is not even explained in the end
, you just have to go with it; very different than Higrashi.

And yeah I know Misaki technically explained it, but I always took it as a theory and expected for the show to eventually debunk and/or expand upon it.

So yeah, fun watch (well fun for me) but not something one would go into to really experience the horror genre. Man, makes me wish that Higraushi had the same production values as Another.

Yu Yu Hakusho Disc 1 of Vol 2

Human compassion be damned. Everyone wants the Urameshi blood, and can you blame them? He beat the first team in his not usual hair style. That's intimidation.

Although they're quite fucked right now. Granted I'm not sure why 3 out of 5 isn't being done, but given the circumstances from the previous rounds, that obviously doesn't matter given everyone on the opposing team fights, so they just went BIN IT.

As hilarious as the pie meme is, I legitimately liked Another as well. Actually empathized with the students and the shit they had to go through as well as how broken it left them when shit hit the fan in the climax. Also felt a bit down when
the ending reveals that shit will happen over and over.
Same feeling I got from the Corpse Party games, albeit to a lesser extent. I don't know, I guess the presentation got to me and how legitimately unsettling/disturbing a lot of the deaths were.

It's why I argue for personal preference over a universal standard, as something that's supposed to be "bad" can effect me in the way it actually intended (because I know enough people here like Another ironically).

Branduil

As hilarious as the pie meme is, I legitimately liked Another as well. Actually empathized with the students and the shit they had to go through as well as how broken it left them when shit hit the fan in the climax. Also felt a bit down when
the ending reveals that shit will happen over and over.
Same feeling I got from the Corpse Party games, albeit to a lesser extent. I don't know, I guess the presentation got to me and how legitimately unsettling/disturbing a lot of the deaths were.

It's why I argue for personal preference over a universal standard, as something that's supposed to be "bad" can effect me in the way it actually intended (because I know enough people here like Another ironically).

The writing in Another is objectively terrible. Like, nothing about the story makes any sense whatsoever, and all of the characters are in a permanent state of holding the idiot ball.

Thank goodness Mizushima had the sense to direct it the way it deserved.

Rhapsody

Banned
Inou Battle END

Well that was an interesting ride. It went from weird/boring to me at the start of the season, to getting attached to the characters, to weird serious plot where I'm wondering if I should take this seriously in relation to the main characters, to romance, and a conclusion.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the series. It was a nice mix with a group of people having fun, while seeing how they react to the serious things behind the scenes. Andou actually ended up as a better main character than I thought it'd be. It was cool seeing both sides of him and when he almost gave up a chuunibyou life in the past.

But yeah, I thought the series did a nice balance with light hearted moments and the darker parts. There were quite a bit that caught me by surprise since I'm so used to the light hearted antics with the Literature Club, especially the ending.

I don't follow the LNs, but a season 2 would be nice. Also it was cool getting a glimpse of Trigger handling an adaptation.

fertygo

The writing in Another is objectively terrible. Like, nothing about the story makes any sense whatsoever, and all of the characters are in a permanent state of holding the idiot ball.

Thank goodness Mizushima had the sense to direct it the way it deserved.

I want to see Mizushima x Okada's show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom