• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 |OT2| Idly waiting for the Dog Days of Sabre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox318

I have no idea what you mean.

ie5wOOjOUYHoa.gif

I never felt like there was enough panic

Yu Yu Hakusho forgot the ep count

Kuwabara can communicate through minds. A love so strong he knows where Yukina is.

Sakio is a fucking boss. Looks like Yusuke too.

And everyone jobbed to team Urameshi. Because they became more awesome.

Now we have the Togoro bros coming in to beat some shit up.

Puruzi

Banned
Don't get why people like to be anime elitists, some people just like watching shows that are dumb fun.
Shit, I loved Ping-Pong, and I loved Kill la Kill. You can like different types of anime, there's no need to shit on other people's taste in things.

TUSR

Banned
Don't get why people like to be anime elitists, some people just like watching shows that are dumb fun.
Shit, I loved Ping-Pong, and I loved Kill la Kill. You can like different types of anime, there's no need to shit on other people's taste in things.

i push trigger on everyone

fertygo

Yep I watched Cross Ange and enjoying UBW as fanboy, my AOTY is Ping Pong.. hold your own dick.

I hate elitism. People like the things they like, who am I to judge?

now I personally will make fun of someone for liking something I hate, but only in good humor and if I know the person.

Quasar

That just made it seem even more uninteresting. Even by season 2 they don't know why it happened. Like what the hell.

Oh the why. No even in the novels there hasn't been an explanation for the why. It seems clear they aren't trapped in a game though.

Yu Yu Hakusho Another number I forgot

That ends this rather short arc, but it's merely there to go YO, TOGOROS SON! DARK TOURNAMENTS ARE GOING TO HAPPENING

Kuwabara managed to charm a girl surprisingly.

sonicmj1

The plot other than the simple stuck in a game

The plot of Log Horizon is not based around escaping from the world, but around building a stable society, and protecting it from external and internal threats. It's as much about politics and economics as it is about combat.

If one wishes to be a passive and indiscriminate consumer of media, that is of course their perogative. And most everyone likes to engage in mindless fun now and then. But that doesn't change the fact that there are standards of good and bad, standards by which you can judge works independent of individual taste. It's good to be able to recognize those and have some critical engagement with what you watch - in the end, as long as you don't go overboard, I think it leads to a richer viewing experience if you are able to determine why something does or doesn't work.

Narag

I love lots of garbage anime, I'm not going to pretend it's not garbage though!

If one wishes to be a passive and indiscriminate consumer of media, that is of course their perogative. And most everyone likes to engage in mindless fun now and then. But that doesn't change the fact that there are standards of good and bad, standards by which you can judge works independent of individual taste. It's good to be able to recognize those and have some critical engagement with what you watch - in the end, as long as you don't go overboard, I think it leads to a richer viewing experience if you are able to determine why something does or doesn't work.

Standards are malleable precisely because they're connected to individual tastes. There's a difference between indiscriminately loving everything and enjoying things agreed to be "lowest common denominator dreck" while disliking more well-made stuff. Some aspects that may be considered negative by the wider audience could be positive for the individual, and vice versa. Life's too short to put a ton of effort into understanding why you're supposedly "wrong" about your likes and dislikes.

Of course if you enjoy critically examining a work to the point of acknowledging all its flaws, then no one should be able to tell you that it's a waste of time. It's just when that view is pushed onto other people via spamming the same "this is why something is bad" gif over and over or vehemently arguing with fans of said work. People like what they like, which really shouldn't be a point of conflict when it comes to fiction IMO.

Lain

Psycho-Pass 2 Ep 11

PGreat ending to a great show. I actually wish it lasted a bit longer, but it was tightly paced and I couldn't ask for anything better. Well, maybe for the noob inspector to
pay for what she did
, but I guess we can't have everything.
Bring on the movie is all I can say right now, though after the movie I'd probably be asking for a third season.

Full Metal Panic! Fumoffu - 8

Tessa finally shows up for a big role in first part of this two-parter episode, and her performance makes up for her absence throughout this series.

I mean, holy crap. That scene where she wanted to give CPR to Sousuke, ahahahahahaha.

Not to mention Sousuke being freaked out in the beginning by Mardukas' orders was hilarious as well.

And Sousuke still has to put up with her in Part Two, which is the hot-springs episode. Oh boy.

Standards are malleable precisely because they're connected to individual tastes.

There are standards of good direction, good art, good animation, good writing, good music, etc. Standards that are objective in nature, not just down to subjective preference.

Life's too short to put a ton of effort into understanding why you're supposedly "wrong" about your likes and dislikes.

If you ask me, life's too short to not engage in critical thinking and make sure you're spending your time on things of value as much as you can.

People like what they like, which really shouldn't be a point of conflict when it comes to fiction IMO.

People like what they like, but that doesn't mean that people's tastes are all equal, or certainly that all art or all entertainment is created equal. Some things are better than others, and that's just the way it is. Some people are more talented than other people. Some ideas are better than other ideas. That's what makes life interesting and exciting to live, rather than everything being squashed into a bland uniform mediocrity.

Midonin

Sailor Moon R 19/20

Mako and Minako are a great pairing. I was hoping that we could finally get an episode where Usagi doesn't kill the MotW, but it's a magical girl show, and leaders often get leader privileges that other heroines don't. Aside from that, it was a pretty good one. I'm wondering just how many Crystal Points there are, exactly. 20 was super heavy on the foreshadowing that everybody knows already, but it was weird that such an important episode would spend 70% of its time inside one supermarket.

Not sure if that's a better or worse choice than turning into an episode of The Land Before Time.

Rainy

Banned
Aldnoah Zero 8

I actually liked this episode a lot.
It's a shame Cruhteo died right when he found out the truth and might have helped Slaine. It was pretty ridiculous though when found out and was like "Forgive me, Slaine." What a quick turn around! Meanwhile Saazbaum getting in the way of everything.

Tessa finally shows up for a big role in first part of this two-parter episode, and her performance makes up for her absence throughout this series.

I mean, holy crap. That scene where she wanted to give CPR to Sousuke, ahahahahahaha.

Not to mention Sousuke being freaked out in the beginning by Mardukas' orders was hilarious as well.

And Sousuke still has to put up with her in Part Two, which is the hot-springs episode. Oh boy.

Oh man this two parter is amazing! Episode 9 is probably the top 3 best episodes in the series.

There are standards of good direction, good art, good animation, good writing, good music, etc. Standards that are objective in nature, not just down to subjective preference.

There are so many factors (some in conflict with each other) in art criticism that I can't even find any meaning in the term "objective standards". Death of the author, standards changing over time (for better or worse), other stuff; if something can lead to a rich and well thought-out discussion from multiple parties, that's awesome, but I'm reluctant to ever speak in absolutes when it comes to stuff like this.

If you ask me, life's too short to not engage in critical thinking and make sure you're spending your time on things of value as much as you can.

Which is fine if it's what you want to. I'm of the opinion you should spend time on things you value as opposed to what others say you should value.

People like what they like, but that doesn't mean that people's tastes are all equal, or certainly that all art or all entertainment is created equal. Some things are better than others, and that's just the way it is. Some people are more talented than other people. Some ideas are better than other ideas. That's what makes life interesting and exciting to live, rather than everything being squashed into a bland uniform mediocrity.

What I find interesting about life and how media is in general is the "one man's trash is another man's treasure" mindset can apply to pretty much everything. It would be pretty boring if everyone liked or disliked the same stuff. Saying "some things are better than others, and that's just the way it is" is an absolute statement that can shut down discussion, which I'd hardly call beneficial for any medium if growth is what we want. When it comes to tastes and even analysis, nothing is universal nor do I believe it should be.

Madoka...err...Yuki Yuna Is A Hero 2

Were the gratuitious ass and boob shots really necessary? Its bad enough that theyre like 13 year olds but that girl is fucking handicapped.

Shit is really disgusting sometimes man. Fuck anyone that gets off on this shit.

Midonin

Madoka may be a point of comparison for YuYuYu, but I've finally figured out a way to differentiate them. Madoka is more of a Kamen Rider series. People draw their powers from the same source, but that doesn't mean they have to get along, and everyone more often than not has their own agenda.

YuYuYu is more like a Sentai series, because everyone does get along, and the only moments where they don't are when things get serious. A Rider-type has the heroes working alone unless they need to, while a Sentai-type has them working together unless they need to. The presence of the Hero Club changes up the dynamics in a major way.

Yu Yu Hakusho up to ep 28, end of Vol 1

Pacing continues to be brisk, although now, with a tournament arc, we're gearing up for the long haul for this.

It seems odd after dealing with HxH, a show in where every little detail is maliciously fleshed out to go back to such a brisk pacing of YYH. Although at the same time, it's not really falling into the pitfalls other Shounen anime have dealt with. The filler.

There's been quite some derp faces I've noticed in the show. On the other hand, either I'm not paying attention, or YYH has been rather consistent with its animation.

I guess more is to come, the question now is do I jump straight to volume 2, or take a break?

Accel World - 8

Well, this is an anime after all. So of course a little-sister kind of character joining in on the fun was likely.

SvwCsxq.png

Really show? Really?

Aside from that, the battle in this episode was pretty cool. I also liked Haru's lament near the end of this episode, of him vowing to never fight against Kuroyukihime. Thought that was pretty sweet.

Rainy

Banned
Aldnoah Zero 9

LOL HOLY SHIT. I didn't see that whole scene with Rayet and the Princess coming. Yooooooooo shit got serious. I don't think she's dead though. I also enjoyed Saazbaum's backstory.

Natsume yuujinchou - Itsuka yuki no Hi ni - OAV

The feels ... The feeeeeeeeels

Yep this is a natsume episode , complete with natusme akwarding meetiung a spirit , him being scared , him dreaming about said spirit and the usual thanks.
Bonus : drinking nyanko-sensei !

But the feels ..

Where is my Season 5 ?

GrandHusk

Inou Battle ep 8

I didn't get anything about what this war or this system is supposed to be. whatever
This episode is basically a resume of what was happening behind the scenes since the protagonist got their powers.
Love the little details like
Kiryu wearing an eye patch was because he got asleep with his contact on,
I thought it was only because he wanted to look cool or something.

I'm not going to see Mirei anymore right?
:'(
pls don't tell me

sonicmj1

Rage of Bahamut 11

Everyone's expressing a lot of disappointment right now, and I don't really get why.

I mean, I know I would have liked it to be Favaro and Amira's fun, light adventures in fantasyland, but it was clear that wasn't going to happen about four episodes ago. I've accepted that. It's a 12 episode series that has to close the loop on the things it set up in episode 1, and instead of blowing it all up out of nowhere, it's been gradually drawing everything together until it reached this point.

So maybe it's a little disappointing that it isn't as delightful as it was at the start, but the strengths of those early episodes remain present here. It's briskly paced, it doesn't waste the viewer's time explaining what can be inferred and lets characters' actions speak for themselves, and it's full of silly fantasy stuff. I wish a few things had a bit more time to breathe in this episode (particularly
Kaisar shooting Favaro in the chest
), but I like how they set up the low point leading us to the end of the episode. How will our heroes succeed at this most desperate hour? Even knowing how things have to go in a tale like this, I'm excited to find out, because the show's creators are executing at a pretty high level.

It'll be really awesome if the budget comes back in full force for the finale.

There are so many factors (some in conflict with each other) in art criticism that I can't even find any meaning in the term "objective standards". Death of the author, standards changing over time (for better or worse), other stuff; if something can lead to a rich and well thought-out discussion from multiple parties, that's awesome, but I'm reluctant to ever speak in absolutes when it comes to stuff like this.

Which is fine if it's what you want to. I'm of the opinion you should spend time on things you value as opposed to what others say you should value.

What I find interesting about life and how media is in general is the "one man's trash is another man's treasure" mindset can apply to pretty much everything. It would be pretty boring if everyone liked or disliked the same stuff. Saying "some things are better than others, and that's just the way it is" is an absolute statement that can shut down discussion, which I'd hardly call beneficial for any medium if growth is what we want. When it comes to tastes and even analysis, nothing is universal nor do I believe it should be.

On the contrary, I find it is statements like "People like what they like" that tend to shut down critical discussion. It denies the possibility of arguing over the relative merits of works of art by implying that any old thing is just as good as another. If everything is subjective, there is no point in discussing anything beyond whether something happens to make you happy or sad or whatever. It is by acknowledging the existence of universal standards, even if we disagree on what those standards might be, that we allow for discussion and debate over how works fulfill or do not fulfill those standards.

Kvik

Bahamut probably could've work better in 25 episodes. Then we can have both the standalone nakama episodes and angels vs demons vs bahamut arcs.

Crocodile

Its not like nerd clique hierarchy BS doesn't exist even on AnimeGAF. A few pages back someone was legit confused that UBW and Parasyte were on the top of the ANN poll. This is because AnimeGAF has a tendency to be an echo-chamber, particularly about anything popular, so people are legitimately out-of-touch with what the larger community thinks.

Its just internet anime guy who thinks everyone wants all anime to be clones of Cowboy Bebop and have nothing but adults in it making super serious rational decisions all the time. Trust me, someone in the very near future will post how much Fate/Naruto/AoT/Sword Art is ruining everything with pandering shonen nonsense they don't like. That IS nerd clique hierarchy BS.

I don't necessarily disagree with your first point but you REALLY love to drive home "All AnimeGAF wants is Cowboy Bebop clones" point don't you Maybe you aren't actually looking for nuanced discussion but it certainly is going to be hard to find if you insist on such generalizations :p

DEATH™

"I'm a submariner, that means getting wet is my business!!!"

-Tessa

Accel World - 9

Yeah I'm not a fan of Niko.

I liked the comradery between the three main Burst Linkers. Adding in a tsundere little sister character who constantly gets mad really feels like an unnecessary move to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom