• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 |OT2| Idly waiting for the Dog Days of Sabre

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrandHusk

Kanon ep 6

Going to see a horror movie with Ayu?
tumblr_mqqk7tZCXO1rhiuroo1_500.jpg

~Uguu

Jex

Its not like nerd clique hierarchy BS doesn't exist even on AnimeGAF. A few pages back someone was legit confused that UBW and Parasyte were on the top of the ANN poll. This is because AnimeGAF has a tendency to be an echo-chamber, particularly about anything popular, so people are legitimately out-of-touch with what the larger community thinks.

Its just internet anime guy who thinks everyone wants all anime to be clones of Cowboy Bebop and have nothing but adults in it making super serious rational decisions all the time. Trust me, someone in the very near future will post how much Fate/Naruto/AoT/Sword Art is ruining everything with pandering shonen nonsense they don't like. That IS nerd clique hierarchy BS.
I see we've gone through another bout of soul searching on the subject of artistic critique.

For the record, I don't really care if you want to accuse me of elitism or something of that nature, I'm going to call a spade a spade and a shitty anime a shitty anime. I'm sorry if you get offended that I call out all the problems in crappy shows like Kill La Kill, Attack on Titan and Fate/Stay Night. I won't apologise for wanting to steer people away from tripe.

To be brutally honest, lots of 'anime fans' (whatever that means) lap up a bunch of bollocks shows on a fairly regular basis and so they probably don't have very high standards. I don't care if you're one of those people - enjoy whatever you want to enjoy. There's honestly nothing wrong with that. You don't have to strive to critique your media or challenge your own perceptions. You might just want to shut off your mind and enjoy some fluff. Whatever.

That doesn't mean that I will ever let that shit slide. I will discuss, dissect and critique what I watch and voice my opinions hear and elsewhere. You might not always agree, or feel I'm being overly harsh but if you have some genuine arguments about why I'm wrong I'd love to hear them.

When I discuss or write about anime it's partly to help me better understand what I've watched and partly as way to recommend good things to other people. Part of that process involves steering people away from shitty anime.
AnimeGAF, I don't understand peoples hate toward anime, or rather, the people who enjoy it. I was hanging out at my friends birthday party, just now, talking to a group of people. The subject of anime came up, my friend watches mainstream shows, so he got to talking about AoT. Anyway, the people in the group were trash talking individuals who watch it. Saying things like it's for, "Pedophiles," "Losers," etc. I was upset, I spoke out and told them flat out that they are wrong, that you can't generalize like that and that I'm a big anime fan, so they are labeling me with those titles. Needless to say I got into a huge debate. It was frustrating. Ughh, why do others care so much what others choose to do with their own damn time?
Leaving aside the age old problem that people are dumb, it is worth remembering that anime doesn't have a great reputation in the West and some of that is justified. Most of the big mainstream titles are aimed squarely at 12 year old boys so it's not surprising people who watch such programming would get looked down upon. Furthermore, people are vaguely aware that there's lots of "Pedo Shit" coming out of Japan and, frankly, they aren't completely wrong on that either. It's not surprising that people are only expressed to a fraction of anime tend to have a bad impression of it.

You have two choices - either be a better PR person for anime and promote better titles or ignore close-minded people.

Quasar

To be brutally honest, lots of 'anime fans' (whatever that means) lap up a bunch of bollocks shows on a fairly regular basis and so they probably don't have very high standards. I don't care if you're one of those people - enjoy whatever you want to enjoy. There's honestly nothing wrong with that. You don't have to strive to critique your media or challenge your own perceptions. You might just want to shut off your mind and enjoy some fluff. Whatever.

That's pretty much how most people consume their media, be it tv, film or comics.

For those who do want to criticise I'd kind of just prefer to see constructive criticism as well as pointing to things that the writer feels is better than angry screeds about how this is shit. Though really that's probably not what I'm looking for in a forum post. Thats something I'd more expect in a blog post or journal article.

But that's probably just me putting crazy boundaries on what should and should be in a given format.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I see we've gone through another bout of soul searching on the subject of artistic critique.

For the record, I don't really care if you want to accuse me of elitism or something of that nature, I'm going to call a spade a spade and a shitty anime a shitty anime. I'm sorry if you get offended that I call out all the problems in crappy shows like Kill La Kill, Attack on Titan and Fate/Stay Night. I won't apologise for wanting to steer people away from tripe.

That doesn't mean that I will ever let that shit slide. I will discuss, dissect and critique what I watch and voice my opinions hear and elsewhere. You might not always agree, or feel I'm being overly harsh but if you have some genuine arguments about why I'm wrong I'd love to hear them.

When I discuss or write about anime it's partly to help me better understand what I've watched and partly as way to recommend good things to other people. Part of that process involves steering people away from shitty anime.

Leaving aside the age old problem that people are dumb, it is worth remembering that anime doesn't have a great reputation in the West and some of that is justified. Most of the big mainstream titles are aimed squarely at 12 year old boys so it's not surprising people who watch such programming would get looked down upon. Furthermore, people are vaguely aware that there's lots of "Pedo Shit" coming out of Japan and, frankly, they aren't completely wrong on that either. It's not surprising that people are only expressed to a fraction of anime tend to have a bad impression of it.

You have two choices - either be a better PR person for anime and promote better titles or ignore close-minded people.

I don't really have a problem with your post other than the bolded. Like, is there some controversy over the term "anime fan?"

Jex

I don't really have a problem with your post other than the bolded. Like, is there some controversy over the term "anime fan?"

Well, occasionally there's some debate over what exactly it means to be an "anime fan" but that seems to be tiresome mostly nerd wrangling over labels. Kind of like the term "gamer".

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Well, occasionally there's some debate over what exactly it means to be an "anime fan" but that seems to be tiresome mostly nerd wrangling over labels. Kind of like the term "gamer".

I'm pretty sure it means "person who likes anime."

I dunno. I watch a lot of trash but I try and watch everything good too. I don't expect people to watch everything good, or even care much if they do.

My pace is too slow to watch a lot of stuff anyway, which is why I haven't started on LoGH

I'm pretty sure it means "person who likes anime."

That's how I take it, why would it mean anything else

Vol1 sales for the Fall Season are starting to trickle in.

Psycho-Pass 2 v1 sells 5570/1857, total 7,427. Event ticket. If it adds a decent amount and stays fairly consistent for v2+, it’ll be pretty close to season one.

Yuyuyu v1 sells 4,781 BDs, DVDs do not rank. Curse those thresholds! Maybe in the full list or an estimate. Still, cleared the prediction by 1k and that with all the stock problems. Should see 6k at least in the end, I’d think. Good start!

Trinity Seven v1 sells 2433/685, total 3,118. Event ticket.

v1s not yet ranked in either format:
Terraformars

Source

Next week look forward to the v1 sales release of:

Crossange
Gugure! Kokkuri-san
Madan no Ou to Vanadis
Ookami Shounen to Kuro Ouji
Shirobako
Ushinawareta Mirai wo Motomete
Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai
Grisaia no kajitsu
Gundam Build Fighters Try
Gundam G no Reconquista
Amagi Brilliant Park
Hitsugi no Chaika Avenging Battle
Inou-Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de
Ore, Twintail ni Narimasu

Akatsuki no yona - 12

Well after that flashback , everything sorta make sense and our heroine will probably have to Show much skill to recruit this guy. Can't wait.
However , the party jokes/blanter are still the main appeal for me , and this episode was still a little low on those.

Jex

For those who do want to criticise I'd kind of just prefer to see constructive criticism as well as pointing to things that the writer feels is better than angry screeds about how this is shit. Though really that's probably not what I'm looking for in a forum post. Thats something I'd more expect in a blog post or journal article.

But that's probably just me putting crazy boundaries on what should and should be in a given format.
I don't know if I'd be putting any onus on any poster to style their posting or critique in a particular manner. I personally don't find endless negativity to be fairly interesting to read, but sometimes a show will deserve it.

Sakura Trick 12

Oh, wow. There's missing the point and then there's this.

It's an episode with both a graduation and the beginning of a new year. Ok end to the show, but not really sad...

Well, I think this show got more kissing than every other anime I've watched so far combined so that's something. Other than that there's some comedy, some touching moments and the usual slice of life stuff. Not the worst and not the best.

Catchy OP and ED, and as everybody who watched this has noticed, it borrows a lot of visual elements from Hidamari Sketch. Enough a reason to get me to watch this. :p

It's no Hidamari Sketch, but it's still pretty good so 3.5/5 fluorescent hair accessories:
twT99y4.png
twT99y4.png
twT99y4.png
7ZDUyXL.png
LjcVfq7.png

Trinity Seven - 12

In the end trinity seven did do everything that was on the checklist and it's just a shame that there wasn't more money ( or time ) to produce something of higher quality.
As it stand trinity seven is an above average harem action anime that tried to do action and failed because the pacing wasn't polished enough But in the end , it wasn't a waste of time since the core of what makes trinity seven good, "the characters" were properly presented on screen

So not all was lost.

Trinity%20Seven%20-%2012.jpg

Cajun alert!

I'm disapointed but not without hope.
Now what they should do is to make a serie of Oavs for Akio hometown arc ( they should do JUSTICE to that arc as it's the best so far ) and i'll forgive the little problems this season had.

JUST DO IT !!

Angry Grimace

I mean, its sort of funny when someone posts a virtual essay on why the most recent episode of Fate/stay Night sucks and how Shirou is stupid and how there aren't enough cool adult characters like Kiritsugu or Rider from Fate/Zero, or how Amagi Brilliant Park didn't spend enough time on serious analysis of how to save a business. But a large amount of those posts are not even really criticism, its just hating on a popular thing based on a preconceived desire to hate it.

Accel World - 12

Uh-oh.
Looks like Haru's Silver Crow avatar has been infected with the Calamity Armour.

Also, I want to point out that there is one flaw with this show. The emotional moments don't really work in the Accelerated World. Since the avatars are all expressionless robots there, when you watch them talk to each other, you're pretty much just watching action figures communicate. It kinda makes it hard to feel the mood during some of the emotional parts.

It gets better when you can see their faces in that VR thing when the characters speak sometimes, but still.

Quasar

I mean, its sort of funny when someone posts a virtual essay on why the most recent episode of Fate/stay Night sucks and how Shirou is stupid and how there aren't enough cool adult characters like Kiritsugu or Rider from Fate/Zero, or how Amagi Brilliant Park didn't spend enough time on serious analysis of how to save a business. But a large amount of those posts are not even really criticism, its just hating on a popular thing based on a preconceived desire to hate it.

Probably why I TLDR any of those long posts here.

I am also confused on this. It's very clear that fate/stay night isn't going to be anything like fate/zero, and that's reason enough for f/z fans to avoid it. Fast forwards to them actually watching the show for some reason, then complain that it isn't f/z.

I don't know how the folks who are of the opinion that "good is subjective" would manage having to create work of their own without having a strong understanding of what "good" is and how to create work that would merit the word.

That said, here's hoping that this week's Shirobako has
Anno voicing his own parody character!

I am also confused on this. It's very clear that fate/stay night isn't going to be anything like fate/zero, and that's reason enough for f/z fans to avoid it. Fast forwards to them actually watching the show for some reason, then complain that it isn't f/z.
That's more of failure of the poster's expectations than the show itself.

Its like watching Idolmaster and expecting some deep meta-commentary about being an idol in Japanese society and not just teenage girls being dramatic and silly about being an idol.

That's probably a better example for this but I can't think of one at the moment.

~wan

cajunator

Banned
I want that Takane one D:

Saaaaaaame

Idolmaster 15

Definitely the funniest episode so far.

Also

Makoto is amazing. Im glad you realize it!

Trinity Seven - 12

In the end trinity seven did do everything that was on the checklist and it's just a shame that there wasn't more money ( or time ) to produce something of higher quality.
As it stand trinity seven is an above average harem action anime that tried to do action and failed because the pacing wasn't polished enough But in the end , it wasn't a waste of time since the core of what makes trinity seven good, "the characters" were properly presented on screen

So not all was lost.

I'm disapointed but not without hope.
Now what they should do is to make a serie of Oavs for Akio hometown arc ( they should do JUSTICE to that arc as it's the best so far ) and i'll forgive the little problems this season had.

JUST DO IT !!

I guess I should continue this. I do like that ninja girl.

Jex

The only thing I don't understand here is how you achieve perfect knowledge of another human beings thoughts? I mean, how can you ascribe such clear intentionality to someone's forum postings? It seems a bit of a reach to say "They're only criticising X because it's popular".

Not that I'm denying the possibility that such things occur, just that it's really difficult to pin down.
Probably why I TLDR any of those long posts here.

Oh, cool.

Well, it's not like people weren't warned that F/SN would be like that! But is it really the viewers fault that the show is crappy? I mean, if there expectation is just that the show is going to be decent, that seems like a fairly understandable expectation.

Or, to put it another way. You don't really know much about the Fate universe of media properties, you watch and enjoy Fate/Zero and then you find out a sequel is being released. You try it out, but are shocked to discover it's not really what you were expecting.

Sure, people more familiar with the franchise would know what to expect, but not everyone is familiar with it.

Yu Yu Hakusho Disc 2 of Volume 2

Yusuke gave birth to some Poo. RIP.

There really was no point to the 3 out of 5 matches. It was only for the first one to go "OH HEY CLOSE STEAKS"

Vasts amount of cheating going down because money and everyone hates YuuYuusuke Urameshi.

Finally, training is done, new shit got revealed. time for more

Dresden

Yeah. It's always a bad idea to try and enforce some 'fair and balanced' take. Ethics in anime forum posting, man. Shit always leads to checklist reviews and "objective" opinions that end up as catalogues.

who's the one posting based on weird preconceptions though, those people posting virtual essays about f/sn or you about this idea of a hateful hivemind? Like you've been going on about this for the last two days and there's no evidence given other than your opinion that someone doesn't like a thing so therefore he must just be out to hate it. It's really tiresome and maybe you should stop.

Angry Grimace

Yeah. It's always a bad idea to try and enforce some 'fair and balanced' take. Ethics in anime forum posting, man. Shit always leads to checklist reviews and "objective" opinions that end up as catalogues.

who's the one posting based on weird preconceptions though, those people posting virtual essays about f/sn or you about this idea of a hateful hivemind? Like you've been going on about this for the last two days and there's no evidence given other than your opinion that someone doesn't like a thing so therefore he must just be out to hate it. It's really tiresome and maybe you should stop.

I'm not really sure what evidence you'd want me to give, though. And I don't think its fair to summarize it into this "hateful hivemind" thing. I don't really think that's a good summation. But fine, whatever, I won't post about it anymore.

Jex

I only watch anime if it's 23.97 FPS.

For those watching it, Funi just announced Death Parade, and they still have six more slots open for announcements.

I can't wait to watch it in SD, one week late, and with terrible video quality!

FUNimation: You should(n't) be watching.

I find it kind of funny how you seem to have such a strong idea about what each person's posting style and anime viewing habits will be, and expect them all to conform to your own view of how people should watch and (not) criticize anime. A large amount of your posts aren't even criticism, but just hating on a majority of people's opinions based on a preconceived desire to hate them.

For the record, I watched Amagi Brilliant Park at the beginning because although the premise didn't fill me with a lot of hope, it was the new show from the director of one of my favorite shows of the last few years, so I had hoped that maybe Takemoto could salvage the material. Turns out he couldn't, and the show was bad. But I tried to articulate the reasons why I felt the show was bad in my posts about it. Although this was about two months ago, and you only decided to start driving by in here over the last few days, so I can understand how you might have missed that.

Angry Grimace

I can't wait to watch it in SD, one week late, and with terrible video quality!

FUNimation: You should(n't) be watching.

I find it kind of funny how you seem to have such a strong idea about what each person's posting style and anime viewing habits will be, and expect them all to conform to your own view of how people should watch and (not) criticize anime. A large amount of your posts aren't even criticism, but just hating on a majority of people's opinions based on a preconceived desire to hate them.

For the record, I watched Amagi Brilliant Park at the beginning because although the premise didn't fill me with a lot of hope, it was the new show from the director of one of my favorite shows of the last few years, so I had hoped that maybe Takemoto could salvage the material. Turns out he couldn't, and the show was bad. But I tried to articulate the reasons why I felt the show was bad in my posts about it. Although this was about two months ago, and you only decided to start driving by in here over the last few days, so I can understand how you might have missed that.

Let's just leave it at that since I'm no longer allowed to talk about it, guys. If you really need to get the last word in, feel free to PM.

If you don't have Rail Wars in your top ten of the year due to Uno Makoto's glorious character designs then you probably don't belong here.

~wan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom