• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 |OT2| Idly waiting for the Dog Days of Sabre

Status
Not open for further replies.
That Majinbone, tempted to order just for it (well and Shougo/KENN)
B5ssCk3CUAAe_DV.jpg

Shirobako 12:
Christmas is saved!

What a great episode. I feel like I say that every week, but it's really true. It was wonderful to see everyone coming together and finally completing Exodus. (K)Anno's advice to Aoi was great, and it was fun to see him interacting with Aoi given the generational gap. Shame on Aoi never seeing Eva (and it's amazing that it aired at all if Kinoshita was an episode director on it). Seeing Sugie finally get to step up was great. It's an encouraging message to see the guy from an older era who had kind of been passed by as the one to save the show, and it was wonderful seeing how everyone started to take advice from him. All of the animators coming together was a great moment. It also tied back into what Iguchi had mentioned to Ema a few episodes ago about how Ogasawara had learned about animating from Sugie. She probably talked more here than in every other episode combined.

And even after all of that hard work, we still had some frantic scenes with the episode almost not making it on time, and all of the crazy last minute changes being made. Those scenes brought back an energy similar to what we saw in the first arc. And at the end of the day, Exodus is completed. The scene with everyone waiting for the phone call was great. There was a lot of tension there, and then finally, the release.

This show continues to impress me every week. I'm really looking forward to the second half of the show.

Midonin

Aikatsu! Akari Generation 114

Chopping down a big-ass Christmas tree is an Aikatsu! tradition, one that Akari is glad to carry on. I've liked the version of "We Wish You A Merry Christmas" that's played for the past two years, and getting a completely new song for this year signifies both the passing of the torch and the fact that Aikatsu probably could do with a few more songs. The tree-sled sequence was pretty fun, and Juri continues to be great.

Shirobako 12

I'm surprised there wasn't more tokusatsu merchandise in Anno's pad. He loves that sort of stuff. Great episode, and I look forward to the "real" Exodus episodes that will be included with the BDs. I want to see what this masterful story they've been constructing is about - and hopefully, we can get a real anime of it some day, if it wasn't already heavily borrowing from the trends of the modern world itself. It happened to KujiUn.

Shirobako 12

Great episode!

Glad to see Sugie getting the respect from his co-workers like he deserves. Felt kinda bad when they first ran into the issue of needing an animator they almost instantly kicked his name to the side and were looking for other people to so the scenes. Absolutely loved when that issue got solved there still were a ton of things they needed to get fixed at the last moment before they could turn in the last episode.

Merry Wanmas

Merry Christmas! This past semester was really tough for me which affected my viewing habits, and therefore my posting habits, but I hope to rectify that this semester and hang out here some more.
Gintama meets Sword Art Online Special - How does killing you offline work if you are already dead on the inside?
Okay why am I just now finding out this exists

Clov

Merry Christmas everyone! Hope everyone got some nice presents. I ended up getting Grave of the Fireflies and Kiniro Mosaic on Blu-Ray. Something to make me cry, and then something to lift my spirits right after. A nice balance. Still haven't gotten all my gifts yet. I'm excited to see what my fiance got me; I got her an expensive figure set of Kaworu and Shinji she had been showing me, so I'm sure she'll like it.

Awesome! At last!

Accel World - 14

NIEddds.png

KAWAHARAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Like, it's interesting that there's now a full-on villain in this show now (aside from the Yellow King a while back, in a sense) but really?

What is it with Kawahara and making his villains like this? Seriously; the Fairy King in SAO, that...one other dude from the Death Gun arc in SAO, etc! I get that they're supposed to be scumbags, but come on now!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Shirobako Episode 12:

This may be my Anime of The Year, this has just been a thoroughly excellent title for the entirety of its first cour, and I am looking forward to the second par with eager anticipation.

Tokyo Ghoul Season 2 Kaneki's Character design.

eP0OaiD.jpg
EmqLfyi.jpg

New Cast Announced

Eto: Maaya Sakamoto
Naki: Hiro Shimono
Kurona Yasuhisa: Aoi Yūki
Nashiro Yasuhisa: Haruka Tomatsu
Akira Mado: Asami Seto

Man I really can't wait to see Naki animated.

Merry Christmas AnimeGAF~

Parasyte - 11

I'd held off on watching this one so I could watch what was defined by some as a "setup" episode along with its followup (episode 12) in one go. Despite that I actually really enjoyed this episode. Dream sequence fun times aside I liked
the development of a more solid relationship between Protagonist and main Female Protagonist. And that relationship developing with the backdrop of the girl's reservations about how Shinichi's changed so much so recently was all really well done I felt like.
The action was well executed and I'm liking the foreshadowing into the next major conflict.

As an aside, lol at the hilariously dangerous hair pulling trend.

Parasyte - 12

Fuuuuuuuck.

I can't help but feel disappointed at the loss of a potentially interesting character on the human front though I guess this just isn't a story about non-parasyte involved people saving the world. Sigh sigh.

jman2050

Shirobako 12

Yeah, barring any shows I still have to catch up on, this will totally be my AOTY.

(K)anno steals the show by correctly pointing out the folly of Aoi's quest to settle for any available key animator with a pulse and doing (K)anno things in the process. Too many great details in this episode for me to point them all out, but Oi-chan going into squeeing fan girl mode when she learns Sugie-san did extensive work on her favorite anime was particularly cute.

Looks like we have the second cour all set up and ready to go. Gonna be interesting to see the contrasts in making an adaptation as opposed to an original.

eP0OaiD.jpg
EmqLfyi.jpg

New Cast Announced

I see he's sporting the Street Goth look. All that's missing is a pair of Rick Owens.

phaze

eP0OaiD.jpg
EmqLfyi.jpg

New Cast Announced

Is he joining the Free cast ? Someone needs to tell him shark skin suits were banned from competitions few years back.

cajunator

Banned

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!
Downloading nowwwwwwwww

Awesome! At last!

Accel World - 14

Like, it's interesting that there's now a full-on villain in this show now (aside from the Yellow King a while back, in a sense) but really?

What is it with Kawahara and making his villains like this? Seriously; the Fairy King in SAO, that...one other dude from the Death Gun arc in SAO, etc! I get that they're supposed to be scumbags, but come on now!

Yeah he is a total bastard and definitely the main villain. His "power" is kind of silly in an actual sense but in context of how important brain burst is to the characters, he is a suitable threat.

EmqLfyi.jpg

New Cast Announced

wow S2 is looking way better than s1 even thought it was. He's incredibly cool now.

ANd godess Maaya Sakamoto, and even singing next season too, hype!!!

Koufuku Grafitti CM http://a.pomf.se/mnoqzo.mp4

Also is AquaWateria's Tokyo Ghoul obsession now spreading like cancer into AnimeGAF as well? gah

I gotta represent :)

Anyways......

D-Gray Man Episode 30-46

The filler isn't as bad as some people say, I actually enjoy it not bad. Though it seems we are getting more information about the Noah Clan. The dude with the hat from the Noah Clan seems to have a split personality, he looks a bit creepy. I hope there's more of Road, I just love her personality. As for Millennium Earl why does he always have a smug look?

I also really like Lenalee's character, especially when she interacts with Allen.

Also is it me or does Lulu Bell from the Noah Clan look better in her transformation than her human form.

Yeah he is a total bastard and definitely the main villain. His "power" is kind of silly in an actual sense but in context of how important brain burst is to the characters, he is a suitable threat.

Yeah, after seeing episode 15 I'm definitely looking forward to seeing Haru kick his ass.

In a super awesome manly fight, I mean. He better not cheat the system and brutalize him, like certain other protagonist I know from this writer...

Speaking of episode 15...

Accel World - 15

Based Ash Roller coming in to save the day.

Seriously, I was about ready to rage at this show for what it was turning Haru into, but then this dude right here comes in and is prepared to get Haru to man up again despite the fact that
he lost his wings.

cajunator

Banned
Yeah, after seeing episode 15 I'm definitely looking forward to seeing Haru kick his ass.

In a super awesome manly fight, I mean. He better not cheat the system and brutalize him, like certain other protagonist I know from this writer...

Speaking of episode 15...

Accel World - 15

Based Ash Roller coming in to save the day.

Seriously, I was about ready to rage at this show for what it was turning Haru into, but then this dude right here comes in and is prepared to get Haru to man up again despite the fact that
he lost his wings.

Ash Roller is so awesome but theres another character I really like that Haru will meet.

Midonin

Twintails 12 + Final Thoughts

My favorite show of the season. I thought I wasn't going to get an Akibaranger S3 this year, but I did. From the same writer, with the same mentality, this was Akibaranger in spirit, Super Sentai in spirit. Flamenco was a criticism of toku, while this was more of a homage/pastiche, but both are valid in this world. There's a lot to say about tokusatsu. And that finale was magnificent.

Power-up modes
are super common in tokusatsu. Kyoryu Red Carnival, the Hyper Toqgers, Go-Busters Powered Custom, you name it. This one was closest to Carnival in that it was Red-exclusive, and took its power from another. This show was... if you liked this, please watch Akibaranger or Abaranger to see more of what Naruhisa Arakawa can do. It's my hope that he's working on Ninninger, too.

What the strength of Sentai is is that, yes, its concepts are ridiculous, but that doesn't mean they can't be taken seriously by the viewing audience. Goofy concepts do not remove the possibility of gravitas. Even when they're about otaku fetishes - which isn't that far removed from Nobuo's obsession over Sentai trivia in Akibaranger. The show was fun and had its tongue planted firmly in cheek, but in such a way that it was also a story one could get invested in on a dramatic level. The characters believed in what they were doing, and that goes a long way to making the audience believe as well.

Tokusatsu is my home genre, the first fandom I really took hold in, and to see its charms reproduced in a format that, while not live action, behaves as though it is, is a joy. Not a hint of irony or sarcasm in that. I want a second season of this because of plot developments that I've read slightly ahead on, but mostly I want more of it because I love it.

This year and the last, an Arakawa-penned LN adaptation turned out to be one of my favorites. Outbreak Company was great, and this is wonderful. The successor to Akibaranger's Super Sentai spirit. I'm now considering it an honorary Sentai series, and wish to purchase all the music from it. Hopefully a Figma or something can come out, too. I want to give it my money.

Because it's for a niche audience, but I'm part of that niche, and it hit it out of the park. Viva Twintails!

Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru 12

Strange that Takahiro didn't write last episode...

Personally i like good ending more than bad ending, but Yuuki Yuuna's good ending seems to forced.

Still, pretty good show overall.

Shirobako 12

XzfE9.png

Best Christmas episode since Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt
I laughed really hard at the "can I make this a jet instead of a horse" line for some reason

----------------------------------------------

Gintama meets Sword Art Online Special - How does killing you offline work if you are already dead on the inside?

I thought this was real for like 30 minutes.

Andrew J.

Interestingly they decided to set it in the world of Aincrad, the location of SAO's first arc and of course the infamous death game. Though, in typical Gintama fashion they've decided to make things a little light hearted so, instead of people dying offline, their hair goes white if they die with the motto 'if you die online you dye in real life'.

If you had included a note explaining how this pun works in Japanese I would have totally thought this was real.

Midonin

YuYuYu 12 + Final Thoughts

Magical girls are my favorite genre. You get the thrill of action scenes with the intimacy of character relationships being a central focus, and cute girls. This has been compared to Madoka since its inception - and like Madoka, it hid its true nature in the promos - but in comparison to Madoka, this would be like if they
found a way to reverse Witch-ism, not merely stop it from happening, and Madoka herself was allowed to live among mortals at the finale.

I think
defeating the Sun Vertex may have finally been the last of them, which allowed the Taisha to return their offerings
, thus explaining the finale. And while Mimorin's condition may not be quite as empowering as it was first made out to be, it's still a small step forward. There was an effort to do something different, even if it failed, at least they tried. The action was consistently good, the mystery (and tie-in to the novels) done in a way that reinforced the backstory without being too confusing, and I loved the general aesthetics of it. It's not as dark as Madoka, but then, it never was. Still enough for it to be my second favorite show of the season.

Of course, the only non-franchise magical girl show next season is a little outside my strike zone, but I'll watch it anyway. I want to see just what this genre can do when it changes things up. Even things that you'd think would be fundamentally part of its title.

Yuki Yuna wa Yusha de Aru END

So glad this ended the way it did. I tend to be a person who sometimes has a desire to see thing end badly or to see the heroes fail in whatever they were trying to do. However in this one I'm glad the end result was a happy ending. Also was glad to see Yuna wake-up punch Togo like the pass couple episodes were pretty much leading up to. Things certainly got dark there for a moment when it became apparent that Yuna had fallen into Persistent vegetative state after they stopped the Sun from crashing. How horrible of an ending that would have been and too dark of one if you ask me. However going in theme with the show everyone was eventually everything was fine and they were able to overcome their disabilities and were eventually returned to their normal selves. Also loved the scene will Togo pushing Yuna's wheelchair while they were on the beach as nice backdrop to how its been the reverse for much of the series.

All in all this series was a pleasant surprise and one of the better shows of the season.

~wan wan

Clov

Just finished Yuuki Yuna. It was a nice series. A good one, but not a great one. While it has some similarities to Madoka, I was happy to find that it differentiated itself from it with how hotblooded it got. The action scenes were a lot of fun to watch, and the finale was really interesting with how
there was no great evil mastermind behind Vertex to fight. Instead they have to fight their friend Togo, who honestly believes her actions are for the best. I liked what they did with her character.
The drama was handled nicely as well, though it wasn't really the strength of the series.

Still, the finale has left me a bit confused.
Why exactly did they lose their disabilities by the end? I really don't understand. It feels like a forced happy ending to me. I guess I would have preferred it if they kept them and just learned to live with them.
Maybe that's just me, though. In any case, I enjoyed it overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom