• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 |OT2| Idly waiting for the Dog Days of Sabre

Status
Not open for further replies.
I asked this in another thread but I wasn't getting a response so I'll ask you guys:

I think the new English dub is the better one. I watched it on Toonami a year ago and I'm fairly sure that was the one they used. Both those and the sub are fine.
I'm not 100% sure, some people may like the older one better, I'm not certain which one is considered the superior one.

Just finished Yuuki Yuna. It was a nice series. A good one, but not a great one. While it has some similarities to Madoka, I was happy to find that it differentiated itself from it with how hotblooded it got. The action scenes were a lot of fun to watch, and the finale was really interesting with how
there was no great evil mastermind behind Vertex to fight. Instead they have to fight their friend Togo, who honestly believes her actions are for the best. I liked what they did with her character.
The drama was handled nicely as well, though it wasn't really the strength of the series.

Still, the finale has left me a bit confused.
Why exactly did they lose their disabilities by the end? I really don't understand. It feels like a forced happy ending to me. I guess I would have preferred it if they kept them and just learned to live with them.
Maybe that's just me, though. In any case, I enjoyed it overall.
Apparently their battles provided enough data on the enemy that Shinju no longer needed the offerings for extra power for the heroes so they were all given back what they lost and relieved of their duties as heroes.

~wan

DiGiKerot

Sadly not worldwide it seems. Or I just utterly failed to use the eshop.

They're saying it's going to be rolling out in over territories earlier next year, or at least in EU ones. I hate the eShop region restrictions (by which I mean, I kinda want the new Shantae game already).

phaze

Naruto Shippuden 393

000270omu3n.png

Well RIP. Finally a chance for Kiba to take his rightful place as the main protagonist. Poor Bee didn't even get a line of dialogue.

The frequency of asspulls seems to increase the closer Naruto gets to its end. Episode ago it was Madara pulling a Susano without his eyes, now its some new (?) Zetsu out of nowhere with Hashirama's Buddha statue and all 5 changes in chakra nature. And then Sarutobi responded in kind. wtf I don't know why Madara even bothered with Obito and Akatsuki if his Zetsus were capable of such feats.

Anyhow pretty good episode, the story had to carry it because the execution of such pivotal moments was again rather lacklustre.

Selector Infected Wixoss 01

Cute girls doing card things and being edgy and incestuous about it.

And really ? You can wish for anything and you're going to go with "I want to bang my twin brother." ? smh Someone please tell me this plotpoint goes away after a while.
Gonna go with rule of three here.

YUKI YUNA IS A HERO 03

Speaking of the rule of three I really, really tried to like this show but I just can't do it. Maybe Madoka and GuP fullfilled my quota of the cute for this year. I hope this series ended with the death of all the characters involved. By Shinju-sama's hand if possible.

Clov

Apparently their battles provided enough data on the enemy that Shinju no longer needed the offerings for extra power for the heroes so they were all given back what they lost and relieved of their duties as heroes.

~wan

Eh, it seems like a bit of a cop-out to me. Seems to come out of nowhere. Feels cheap.
Oh well!

Zeroneo

Eh, it seems like a bit of a cop-out to me. Seems to come out of nowhere. Feels cheap.
Oh well!
Or maybe the Taisha didn't lie and it really was temporary. Even the previous Hero never said that they'd lose their bodily functions forever.

Puruzi

Banned
Yuki Yuna Fin
Thank GOD Yuna and Karin didn't stay fucked up, I was scared out of my mind for them! Yuna duffed the shit out of Togo though, godamn
Nice ending, like how it reversed Yuna and Togo from the credits when all of them were walking and talking. Probably my AOTY if I'm not counting KLK.

Kanojo g aflag o Oraretara - 14 (OAD )

Very funny chrismtas OAD..
This is what i want from a oav , ( isn't that right , date a live ?? ) , Aka fanservice and feeling satisfied when i've finished watching it.
Kanojo%20ga%20Flag%20o%20Oraretara%20-%2014%20-%20OVA.jpg

Why should i pick one , when i can have them all ? - Hatate Souta Christmas 2014
I mean i really liked the anime before , but that was on how ridiculous the premise was , and how they trully used that premise to the full extend.

The same applies here in this "mansion" where jalousy is minimal and everyone is carefully respecting everyone space to the point that there is no competition.

Kanojo%20ga%20Flag%20o%20Oraretara%20-%2014%20_02%20-%20OVA.jpg

Not every girl on earth , even guys aren't off limits you know ?
BUt i liked it , Yes i like this show , it's harmless and it's full of nice characters. A harem where everyone is nice to each other is certainly an oddity , but it's nice.

Quasar

Kanojo g aflag o Oraretara - 14 (OAD )

BUt i liked it , Yes i like this show , it's harmless and it's full of nice characters. A harem where everyone is nice to each other is certainly an oddity , but it's nice.

Yeah. i wonder where the novel series went, assuming all 10 volumes weren't used for the anime.

Yeah. i wonder where the novel series went, assuming all 10 volumes weren't used for the anime.

I guess i should read it in 2015 , then ... I'm quite sure the Last 2, 3 ? eps of the anime were full fillers but i'm kinda intrested to see where this is going .

--------------------
Danna ga Nani o Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken - 01 & 02

What in the world ? This ....

This is hilarous !!

It's really stupid. I guess i'm gonna enjoy this ASAP.

cajunator

Banned
That moe thread is quite more civil than I was expecting it to be but still a lot of ignorance about the subject. Then again its a very difficult term to pin down and define.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Japanese people: I know you have small places, but please start investing in 5.1 systems. I can't stand it that I'm buying blu-ray's that contain a laughable 2.0 track. The dubs in many cases (funimations) sound quality is at a much higher quality than what you put out.

Link Man

Banned
I guess i should read it in 2015 , then ... I'm quite sure the Last 2, 3 ? eps of the anime were full fillers but i'm kinda intrested to see where this is going .

--------------------
Danna ga Nani o Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken - 01 & 02

What in the world ? This ....

This is hilarous !!

It's really stupid. I guess i'm gonna enjoy this ASAP.

The show's got a lot more heart than any other anime I've seen this year.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Twintails 12 + Final Thoughts

My favorite show of the season. I thought I wasn't going to get an Akibaranger S3 this year, but I did. From the same writer, with the same mentality, this was Akibaranger in spirit, Super Sentai in spirit. Flamenco was a criticism of toku, while this was more of a homage/pastiche, but both are valid in this world. There's a lot to say about tokusatsu. And that finale was magnificent.

Definitely one of my biggest surprise this season. I was expecting Psycho Pass, UBW, Gundam RiG to be great, but all 3 ended up to be a huge disappointment, Gundam RiG is pure trash.

Twintail on the other hand really surprised me, it started as a troll watch, but I got hooked after a few episodes.

Firemind

Japanese people: I know you have small places, but please start investing in 5.1 systems. I can't stand it that I'm buying blu-ray's that contain a laughable 2.0 track. The dubs in many cases (funimations) sound quality is at a much higher quality than what you put out.

don't buy japanese blurays.

problem solved.

Yuki Yuna - 12

I'm actually conflicted... i mean i love this ending , i really like it , it's on theme with the show name , it does feels like a deus ex machina , since
everyone recovered, including sodoko.
And i'm glad that in the end , in this magical girl anime , friendship and WILLPOWER won above everything .

But seriously ? Some of this stuff untill the 7th minute feel like it was headed for another ending but got changed. AGAIN i don't mind the ending we've got since it was full of good feelings , but that's what i feel.

As it stands , Yuki yuna is a definite "YES" , and i'll buy the blu-ray when they reach my region ASAP.
The 5 members of the hero club are awesome in their own ways and they deserved their rest.
My favorite character will probably be togo , because she is the one who was the most hurt and her actions were clearly moved by the friendship she had with everyone and i'm glad i don't have to associate itsuki with "suffering" in my mind.
BUt karin is a clear second , she was great but that scene in ep 11 and that "i'm still there" in ep 12 was superb.
1419542638890.gif

Not from this ep , but yeah , karin was great
A clear 9/10 . Some might see madoka in this anime but i seriously didn't yuki yuna was his own thing from start to finish

Clov

Or maybe the Taisha didn't lie and it really was temporary. Even the previous Hero never said that they'd lose their bodily functions forever.

If they never were to lose them forever though, wouldn't that ruin most of the drama in hindsight? If they were right from the start, then everything would have been fine had they waited. Isn't that a bit silly?

Besides, if it always was temporary, then how come they healed so quickly? Togo was crippled for years, but the rest get to recover almost immediately? Why?

Yuki Yuna - 12

It was alright. I felt the scene where Yuna calms down Togo wasn't as strong or emotional as when they calmed down Fu. I didn't really expect a despair or bittersweet ending would've fit mainly because of that episode, so the finale was as expected. It was a surprise show of the season for me, and I enjoyed it, but nothing else made it that special.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I know I haven't been around much at all, but I wanted to wish AnimeGAF a Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and hope you're all having a lovely day. :)

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
don't buy japanese blurays.

problem solved.

Like Quasar mentioned, this doesn't work. The subs are usually only going to be 2.0. The only recent anime aired on TV that actually has a 5.1 track is Shingeki no Bahamat.

To anyone that bought the Devil is a Part Timer Blu-ray, is the Ente Isla moments subbed to show what they are saying? The original aired release had japanese subs when they talked on Ente Isla, but the netflix release I just watched (2nd episode) just shows an english sub showing "Emilia is talking Ente Isla". I was like wtf.

Naruto Shippuden 393

Well RIP. Finally a chance for Kiba to take his rightful place as the main protagonist. Poor Bee didn't even get a line of dialogue.

The frequency of asspulls seems to increase the closer Naruto gets to its end. Episode ago it was Madara pulling a Susano without his eyes, now its some new (?) Zetsu out of nowhere with Hashirama's Buddha statue and all 5 changes in chakra nature. And then Sarutobi responded in kind. wtf I don't know why Madara even bothered with Obito and Akatsuki if his Zetsus were capable of such feats.

Anyhow pretty good episode, the story had to carry it because the execution of such pivotal moments was again rather lacklustre.

You don't read the manga right?

That Zetsu is not a normal zetsu is all I'll say.

Yuki Yuna is a Hero - 12 END

I....I don't know what to say. Madoka Magica spoilers below, by the way.

I liked this show. A lot. It was hot blooded, it had action, magical girls being awesome, some REALLY strong emotional scenes too (seriously, those were really well done), etc. Like, I found it to be a good watch.

But while I'm all for happy endings, this happy ending feels really forced. I mean...they beat the boss...and suddenly everything's okay. They got enough data and had their status as heroes revoked. So now they don't have to worry about attacks anymore and every physical ability that they lost comes back.

Uhh....yeah okay. But what about the lost memories? Do they come back? Is Togo going to get her memories of herself as "Washi" back too?

Yeah, I'm not going to lie. This ending...isn't exactly well written. It really feels like a deus ex machina. Going back to Madoka, let me explain why its ending was brilliant.

In Madoka, there was compromise. The ending there wasn't entirely in the sad or happy zone. It was in the middle. Madoka sacrifices her existence to change the horrible fate of magical girls everywhere, in turn making her into the essence of "hope" itself, where every magical girl will one day be with her.

In here, it's entirely in the happy zone, and sadly, I think giving the way the final act of this show was written, it kinda felt unavoidable. I mean, it was established that they were immortal and doomed to fight until they became lifeless, immobile shells. It was also established that their world was a little circle surrounded by a wall where millions of titans Vertex were coming in, which caused them to fight endlessly. There was no time for someone to come up with a compromise, no way to make a wish or anything. So if they were going for a sad ending, it would be inconclusive, as nothing would have really changed at all. And if they were going for the happy ending, which they did, they'd have to have a few switches flipped to make everything all better after the final battle.

So despite how well I think the show handled itself up until this point, I think the writer kind of wrote himself into a corner here. That doesn't mean I now dislike the show! I just think the way the final act was structured is a pretty big flaw. Maybe if this show was double its length. Like, you could have the heroes of this arc fail and get the bad end, and then have a new generation of heroes find a way to fix the problem, thus earning everybody a happy end, maybe that could have been structured better.

But as the show is, it's kind of difficult for me to recommend this show to anyone now. I personally really liked it, but deus ex machina endings are kind of off-putting to many. But even so, there's much worse out there. All in all, Yuki Yuna is a Hero is pretty good. Show's ending could have been done a lot better, but the show was a fun ride for me nonetheless. Even if the show's happy ending was kind of forced, I'll accept it. The show hasn't been garbage all the way through for me to really hate it and call the entire show terrible because of its ending, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom