• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 |OT2| Idly waiting for the Dog Days of Sabre

Status
Not open for further replies.

VRMN

Sometimes good, lighthearted fun is pretty okay in and of itself. Twin-Tails has a strange concept, to say the least, focusing on zokusei, a term that doesn't have a great translation in English (Funimation went with attribute). Moreover, it did so in a delightfully absurd way, with lots of jokes and affectionate jabs at Super Sentai tropes that it was incredibly enjoyable week in and week out.

The finale kept all this in check pretty well, wrapping up the storyline in an acceptable way, even if it's a pity that
we had to say goodbye to Solar
to do so. The plot was reasonably paced and the whole crisis of confidence final arc was pretty great. The twintails theme is weird, but they could have done this with just about any otaku fetish and it would have worked almost as well; twintails is just one of the cleaner ones they could mess with, so it works well enough.

But the main thing is that the comedy is really quite enjoyable. At some point you're going to have to click with the unhealthy obsessions of the cast being a plot focus point, making this a pretty inaccessible show for non-fans of the medium, but it's hard for me to attack the show for it. It's comfortable in its own skin and it's not really trying to do more than riff on Sentai series while commenting on the often weird fetishes people have, whether they admit it or not. It did this reasonably well and never took itself overly seriously.

All that said, it's a really fun show that has some significant production issues that do drag it down. I almost never dock shows for production issues if the content overcomes them, but Twintails was beleaguered by so many of them that it's impossible to ignore them. The animation was garbage more often than not, with off model issues occurring regularly, awkward motion, and maybe the worst action sequence I've ever seen in a TV anime from a production standpoint. The show was just very, very ugly and it took away from an otherwise solid product.

So, while the show probably reached beyond its means in terms of its budget, it did still manage to be a really fun goofy show. Not every show needs to be poignant; being comfortable in its own skin and knowing how to speak to its audience well is really all you need. It's just really a shame that it often looks really bad visually while doing a lot right otherwise. 7/10

Clov

13 episodes into PriPara. This show never fails to put a smile on my face. It's just so silly and happy! Just what I needed after rewatching Grave of the Fireflies.

Jarmel

Banned
Gundam Build Try-12

Team Try truly is Scrubs R Us. Yuuma is an aggravating character. Hopefully with this, he mans the fuck up.

Quasar

For fellow aussies/kiwis. just got announced that animelab has added the new season of Durarara to its new shows for next season.

Interesting to see madmans local competitors putting their shows on madmans service.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
13 episodes into PriPara. This show never fails to put a smile on my face. It's just so silly and happy! Just what I needed after rewatching Grave of the Fireflies.

Translation is dead so you'd better start planning for a switch to Aikatsu!.

Clov

Translation is dead so you'd better start planning for a switch to Aikatsu!.

ibp3dxZy2Vys4F.png

I'll have to hold onto the hope that it picks up again soon.

So I found something interesting that has made me look at the second half of the last Yuki Yuna is a Hero episode in a somewhat different light.

Yuuna didn't have any petals on her when they were all lying in a circle after the fight.
Gyuuki wasn't shown disappearing.
Yuuna looked kind of funny when Tougou said the stuff about willpower.
Yuuna fainted during the school play.

This is what I think: Yuuna touching the Vertex soul with her bare hand while untransformed made something happen. She accidentally absorbed a piece of the Vertex, or she had a glimpse into the ways of the universe, or she just used so much power that it brought her very, very close to the holy tree, or all of the above. Whatever happened, she was suddenly in a position to ask the holy tree for things, and she said she wanted the sacrifices back, and for her friends to be freed from the hero system. But the tree still needed someone to protect it...so Yuuna offered herself. With only one extremely pure and possibly semi-godly person in charge of all Mankai, the need for handicaps went away completely. Everybody went home, and it took time, but they gradually recovered their health over a period of a few months.

She had to make sure that nobody ever knew what she was doing, but since the forestize stops time, all she had to do during the school play was ask the tree to put her back where she was after she was done fighting. Time stopped, she went to fight, she came back, and everyone just assumed she was still weak from her recovery.

Yuuna chose to fight alone. The fact that she was doing what she knew was right, defending her friends, was enough to outweigh the pain, the terror, and the isolation of being the only hero.

と言う妄想を語ってみた

All of the main points match up as far as I can see which is something I missed completely on my first watch.
Everyone's fairy (except for Yuna's) appears after the fight and disperses. The part about the petals falling on everyone except Yuna also happens. Yuna pauses before talking twice when asked about how she got back and what brought her back. I'm almost certain she's done this before when lying to reassure and make others feel better in the past (when she lost her sense of taste is one example of this).

And that last scene where Yuna faints for a short period of time. At first I thought they were just trying to pull a fast one there and worry the audience, but considering the information above it seems much more likely that she was fighting Vertex during that time. It's completely like Yuna to take on all of that responsibility and burden on her own and in a way makes more sense given the show's main title.

EDIT: The ringing sound that plays when Yuna faints is similar to the one that plays in other episodes where forestize occurs (when the Vertex show up). I will be very surprised if this doesn't turn out to be the case.

Jarmel

Banned
Your Lie in April-11

This show really is a painful watch for me. At times it feels like it's just on the cusp of greatness but the melodrama drags it all down. There is a very simple and strong message in the show but all the mama drama and genki blonde has cancer, that it just really ruins everything else.

The final scene in this episode is superbly directed. Flat out phenomenal. We have effective use of color, space, storyboarding, sound mixing, and background music. I got chills when the volume for the vocals increased. It's a truly well directed scene on every front. And it's so frustrating that the writing isn't to the caliber that the direction is.

Your Lie in April has had easily some of the best direction this season and it's just so frustrating that I can taste what this show could be.

wonzo

Banned
Your Lie in April-11

This show really is a painful watch for me. At times it feels like it's just on the cusp of greatness but the melodrama drags it all down. There is a very simple and strong message in the show but all the mama drama and genki blonde has cancer, that it just really ruins everything else.

The final scene in this episode is superbly directed. Flat out phenomenal. We have effective use of color, space, storyboarding, sound mixing, and background music. It's a truly well directed scene on every front. And it's so frustrating that the writing isn't to the caliber that the direction is.

Your Lie in April has had easily some of the best direction this season and it's just so frustrating that I can taste what this show could be.
sounds p. much just like the manga. shitloads of artistic talent wasted on writing so hamfisted it'd make okada drop her crayons in bewilderment

Jarmel

Banned
sounds p. much just like the manga. shitloads of artistic talent wasted on writing so hamfisted it'd make okada drop her crayons in bewilderment

What gets me is that the author didn't need so much, or really any, of the melodrama to tell a great story. You could just as easily have a pianist who lost his way and is trying to regain his footing, without the child abuse, and it would vastly improve the story. It's unnecessary emotional bloat that just distracts the audience. Why do I need the blond girl to have cancer when there is already a love triangle?

It's just so frustrating when I see such great direction on display. I'm almost ripping my hair out after seeing the firefly sequence on display.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Ah, they must have received my letters where I told them they made the wrong character choices so they have to scrap everything and start again.
You should actually make a Cinderella Girls OT. I thought the im@s movie was setting up new Cindy idols but then I watched a PV for the upcoming series and it looked like people I've never seen before. I am lost in idoru lore.

Dynedom

Is this the wrong place to talk about older anime? I've recently been watching Hunter x Hunter.

This is absolutely the best place to talk about anime from any time period. You'll see people doing watches of stuff as old as Urusei Yatsura here.

Xeteh

This is absolutely the best place to talk about anime from any time period. You'll see people doing watches of stuff as old as Urusei Yatsura here.

Strike Witches is the only older anime allowed in these parts.

Alright cool.

I just finished episode 131 of Hunter x Hunter and
The last several episodes I've been hating Gon. They've made Gon this character that is willing to put his life on the line for anyone yet in his short time with Kite he's straight up willing to kill Kumogi to save him. This bugs me. Then they decide that the first of the Royal Guard that should die is Pitou... who has been a favorite of mine in this arc. Made worse by Netero getting sacrificed to kill off Meruem and yet he survives. I'm not too thrilled, I know I need to keep watching but... ugh.

PS: Theonik... Is Strike Witches worth watching?!

fertygo

Yuki Yuna - 12

Man that's disappointing, after two previous awesome ep I thought its practically guaranteed the climax is gonna great, but nope the episode basically betray what build up and cancel everything, the first half also felt incoherent as shit because I don't think its match up with previous episode cliffhanger.
Where the fuck Vertex that Togo carry to destroy Shinju? Where its gone?

Also everyone is recovered is very forced, its like they planned to make sad ending and like "nope, couldn't do it" at last minute.

Should've gone with everyone return crippled and the last shot being Yuna said last word during that scene at hospital.

Damn shame, because I really want to praise Studio Gokumi for once again providing show with consistent production value across the show, maybe Exodus in Shirobako is something like this lol.

But damn this final episode is lame.

Alright cool.

The last several episodes I've been hating Gon. They've made Gon this character that is willing to put his life on the line for anyone yet in his short time with Kite he's straight up willing to kill Kumogi to save him. This bugs me. Then they decide that the first of the Royal Guard that should die is Pitou... who has been a favorite of mine in this arc. Made worse by Netero getting sacrificed to kill off Meruem and yet he survives. I'm not too thrilled, I know I need to keep watching but... ugh.

Gon's always been a bit psychotic, like when he fought Hanzo and the Mad Bomber, he didn't care about what happened to his body at all. This arc just gave him a rage outlet.
He basically has no moral compass.

Xeteh

Gon's always been a bit psychotic, like when he fought Hanzo and the Mad Bomber, he didn't care about what happened to his body at all. This arc just gave him a rage outlet.
He basically has no moral compass.

Yeah, I get that...
but how many episodes did he try to start fights because someone was being bullied/attacked. I don't know, I just got super annoyed during this arc where Gon decided that Kite was > than any other human and was willing to sacrifice whatever to bring him back... when his character was never like that before.

Theonik

[/spoiler]PS: Theonik... Is Strike Witches worth watching?!
It really does depend on what you're after. It's a fun show drowned under lewdness, which might normally add to the fun factor but it really depends on your perspective.

phaze

Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG: 21-26 + Final Thoughts

Well that was certainly an interesting climax to say the least. I'm kinda disappointed that
The Major and Kuze never really discussed their time in the hospital
but it's only minor in the grand scheme of things, I suppose.
And what a brutal way for Ghoda to go.

I think if I were to make a comparison between this and S1, I'd say that S1 had better stand-alone episodes while 2nd GiG had a better overarching story. Both are still really good but I would have to give the edge to 2nd GIG if I had to choose.

All that's left is Solid State Society and Arise and I will have officially watched everything that is Ghost in the Shell barring movie compilations.

Poor
Tachikomas. :(
I remember being confused by that ending. IIRC
Ghoda did it all to get a job in CIA
or something like that ?

Shinsekai Yori/From the New World - 04-07

Yeah, this monster rat arc was weak in my opinion. After episode 4 which gave a nice exposition on the overarching mystery of the show, the succeeding episodes took a major turn away and it felt like I was watching something out of Princess Mononoke with sentient animals doing battle with each other and having two lead characters caught up in the moment.

Really hope another arc like this doesn't come or atleast has a better job in execution. Felt very jarring, but anyways next episode looks like a timeskip where characters are older? Nagi no Asukara all over again?

Outside of episode 5 I didn't have major problems with this arc but I think what comes after is better. The show as a whole was an upward slope with a bit of a dip in the last arc and strong ending.

Alright cool.

Gon is just a horrible human being and a waste of space. Like father like son.

And the unequivocal answer to your question is - NO.

Reconguista in G 14

I refuse to accept this new OP is finished. At least they kept TSUKAME PURAIDO

I cannot fucking believe
Rairaiya went back to normal. I mean some people speculated that it would happen because of the episode PV, but I thought her "getting better" was related to the fever. I guess the Towasanga peoples arrival made her go back to normal, somehow? There wasn't even any fanfare, just after the first scene I was thinking "There's no way she went back to normal" then later realizing that she totally did, and then later they talk about it. What the hell? I guess she will be one of the pilots now
I was really worried that she would abandon Chuchummy for a while there.

Noredo randomly shooting the slingshot all over is great.

Shinksekai Yori - 08-15

That's enough for me, already 3AM where I'm at. Anyways, why is this show so damn good/addicting?! I swear, was this show even in 2013 AnimeGAF's OP listing of shows? If so I feel so damn stupid in not seeing it earlier.

phaze

Shinksekai Yori - 08-15

That's enough for me, already 3AM where I'm at. Anyways, why is this show so damn good/addicting?! I swear, was this show even in 2013 AnimeGAF's OP listing of shows? If so I feel so damn stupid in not seeing it earlier.

It placed on the 6th spot. Also you're just entering the best part imo. :p

cajunator

Banned
Kanojo g aflag o Oraretara - 14 (OAD )

Very funny chrismtas OAD..
This is what i want from a oav , ( isn't that right , date a live ?? ) , Aka fanservice and feeling satisfied when i've finished watching it.

I mean i really liked the anime before , but that was on how ridiculous the premise was , and how they trully used that premise to the full extend.

The same applies here in this "mansion" where jalousy is minimal and everyone is carefully respecting everyone space to the point that there is no competition.

BUt i liked it , Yes i like this show , it's harmless and it's full of nice characters. A harem where everyone is nice to each other is certainly an oddity , but it's nice.

I put this on my queue list a while back.
Is it a good show?

Hey guys, is flowers of evil any good? What's it about?

Yeah its pretty nuts with all the blackmailing and drama. A fun watch if you can get used to the rotoscope artwork..

Yeah absolutely. I probably wasnt paying attention in my first watch but
the monk's Death of Shame after wiping out all those Queerats was a massive foreshadowing for the reveal in the ending.
So many weird animation moments on that ep too. Like when
the rat ate the bomb egg thing, I didnt know if it blew up or not
. I heard the explosion but nothing happened animation wise. It was just so awkward and hilarious.

Yeah upon rewatching that was certainly a red flag that I noticed. BUt at the time there was absolutely no way to know where that was heading or even what this story was really about yet. REally made you appreciate how precarious this society's setup really was.

I was just recently re-directed to this thread so I figure I'll just make my presence official and drop off fifteen respective recommendations for those lurking:
I haven't been too involved with anime/manga fandom in nearly a decade so I'm currently in the process of amassing a large backlog of stuff that I need to revisit/watch. I'm always open to recommendations! I'd list of what I'm currently considering, but I'm faintly afraid the post will be too ginormous.

Great list. Good taste.

Go! Princess Precure website officially updated.

Civilian forms, OP/ED themes, some fancy prince guy. One thing to take away about this season is that it's happening at a boarding school.

In a few ways, it looks like with Lady Jewelpet ending (not that I'm watching it), Precure is swooping in and borrowing its concepts for its own use.

I love this style! It looks like it might suffer from derpface though if the quality dips (which it will) Some pretty character designs. Cant wait to hear the music!

cajunator

Banned
d5VhbyR.jpg

Wish fulfillment, they only exist to make the main characters look better.

It's pretty common in that kind of LN/VN, usually any male character other than the MC (and his inoffensive male sidekick, if allowed) gets portrayed negatively.

I wish the whole wish fulfillment thing wasnt a factor but its the same writer as SAO so I guess it should be expected. At least its minimized here somewhat.

Shin Sekai Yori/From the New World - 01 - 03

I actually took interest in there from an anime cajunator brought up in the now-locked moe thread, so shout-out of thanks to cajunator!

So far I found alot of big info dumps within these first three episodes but said info dumps were more implicit in execution meaning they're not shoved into your face and with that despite me trying to wrap my head around it my curiosity is peaked enough to have said head wrapping be pleasantly surprising.

Not at all what I expected into watching a show depicted a millennia into the future. I'm really enjoying this light-hearted aspect with the main cast of children but with many red flags hinting at a darker theme shrouded in mystery; reminds me of Madoka Magika in some sort of abstract way.

So glad you gave this series a try! I really think you will be rewarded for it. It has the darker, more serious sort of story that people look for in anime with deeper characterization, a more elaborate setting and some fine world building. The atmosphere is gloomy and foreboding. Its all quite excellent. Not without its missteps but I think you will find it to be satisfactory.

Hope you had a good Christmas animegaf

I did thank you!
My Moms side of the family is really the good kind of crazy. They are just incredibly fun outgoing, energetic people and you would love them to death.
Makes every family gathering a joyful one. I feel very fortunate.

Apparently the final Evangelion movie is scheduled to come out Fall-Winter 2015
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...d-for-fall-winter-2015-with-utada-song/.82629

By the time this comes out, maybe 3.33 might even be released!

Shinsekai Yori/From the New World - 04-07

Yeah, this monster rat arc was weak in my opinion. After episode 4 which gave a nice exposition on the overarching mystery of the show, the succeeding episodes took a major turn away and it felt like I was watching something out of Princess Mononoke with sentient animals doing battle with each other and having two lead characters caught up in the moment.

Really hope another arc like this doesn't come or atleast has a better job in execution. Felt very jarring, but anyways next episode looks like a timeskip where characters are older? Nagi no Asukara all over again?

The queerats have a very decisive role in this story but SSY has to establish a whole lot of things and characters before everything really gets going. I think they deed a good job with the exposition that was necessary.

Is this the wrong place to talk about older anime? I've recently been watching Hunter x Hunter.

Absolutely not! Go right ahead! Whatever shows you want to discuss!

If you made post in this thread you should think twice before considering to watch Strike Witches.

Hahaha. I think I creeped a bunch of people in that thread out. All according to keikaku.

Shinksekai Yori - 08-15

It really is. First time I sat down to watch it I marathoned the entire thing. Couldnt stop. I actually made sure I set aside an entiure day to watch it too because it just had the feel of a show that would suck me in and not let go. Steins Gate was similarly addictive for me and Welcome to the NHK.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
BTW guys, if you send me £30 (a year) I'll give you a special badge you can apply to your avatar to show everyone you are a special club member of the special club.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom