• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 |OT2| Idly waiting for the Dog Days of Sabre

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
attack on titan is a poor mans drifting classroom and super-conductive brains stitched together with some of the most amateur art ever mass produced

e: someone finally subbed the hana wa saku music vid nhk did for the 2011 earthquake so go watch that

hanahasaku.jpg

Dresden

shirobako 5

I'm tremendously impressed by Tarou's honesty and resilience. I think it's pretty telling that he's unfazed by adversity (unlike Miyamori) and is able to keep moving forward no matter what circumstances befall him. He's bound for great things.

Taruranto

d5VhbyR.jpg

Awesome! At last!

Accel World - 14

Like, it's interesting that there's now a full-on villain in this show now (aside from the Yellow King a while back, in a sense) but really?

What is it with Kawahara and making his villains like this? Seriously; the Fairy King in SAO, that...one other dude from the Death Gun arc in SAO, etc! I get that they're supposed to be scumbags, but come on now!

Wish fulfillment, they only exist to make the main characters look better.

It's pretty common in that kind of LN/VN, usually any male character other than the MC (and his inoffensive male sidekick, if allowed) gets portrayed negatively.

Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG: 21-26 + Final Thoughts

Well that was certainly an interesting climax to say the least. I'm kinda disappointed that
The Major and Kuze never really discussed their time in the hospital
but it's only minor in the grand scheme of things, I suppose.
And what a brutal way for Ghoda to go.

I think if I were to make a comparison between this and S1, I'd say that S1 had better stand-alone episodes while 2nd GiG had a better overarching story. Both are still really good but I would have to give the edge to 2nd GIG if I had to choose.

All that's left is Solid State Society and Arise and I will have officially watched everything that is Ghost in the Shell barring movie compilations.

VRMN

To try and do my due diligence ahead of anime of the year voting, I'm looking for some suggestions. I think I have my regular TV anime list all wrapped up, with Ping Pong the Animation the one thing I still want to watch before I lock in my top ten list.

But I know I don't watch a ton of short form, nor theatrical features. I think I've gotten my short form stuff locked in, though I haven't watched Yama no Susume 2, in part because the original short series didn't grab me last year and I didn't watch it through. I also don't think it would break my top three.

Theatrical features/OVAs is where I think I'm weak, because I have a film I gave a 7/10 on my top three. And so, I give you my list of what I've watched in that category this year, or that I plan to watch, that I think has a chance of making my top three list:

AnoHana the Movie
The Garden of Sinners/recalled out summer
Madoka Magica Rebellion
Tamako Love Story
GJ-bu@ (OVA)
Patema Inverted
The Wind Rises

Please let me know if there's something that came out this year (on disc) that's not on that list you think I should watch.

Yamada and the Seven Witches OVA 1
tumblr_ngwvjyHxdg1rfp5pbo6_500.png
tumblr_ngwz09msG81rfp5pbo4_500.png

Lol such a hilarious ova for the series. I wish they had Tamaki more than one scene but otherwise excellent Miyamura and Yamada moments, and even just general Supernatural Studies Club moments. The drawing from the bin was the funniest moment of all, even being as good as nekkid Miyamura on Ushio.

I need the second one now.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Shirobako 12
(K)anno save the day, and i see he really like dark humor.
Sugie-san, what a great guy, and he have understanding wife as well!
So, i guess this end the production assistant and animator arc, and we probably going to focus on seiyuu, writer, and 3d girl arc next.
What cloud you say? They're going to meet Makoto Shinkai huh?

Ore Twintails ni Narimasu - 12

Anime of the year

So stupid, so fun , so entertaining , so crazy ...

There isn't a thing i dislike about this show except the episode where the visual quality was low.

BUt if that was the compromise for this AWESOME finale , then i don't mind.

"love for twintails and love for people are two different things !!"
You don't say...

I want a S2 so that
Dark grasper will join the party
for maximum mayhem.

Ps: the mom is ok for harem ending !! ALL GREEN , LET'S GO !

sonicmj1

To try and do my due diligence ahead of anime of the year voting, I'm looking for some suggestions. I think I have my regular TV anime list all wrapped up, with Ping Pong the Animation the one thing I still want to watch before I lock in my top ten list.

But I know I don't watch a ton of short form, nor theatrical features. I think I've gotten my short form stuff locked in, though I haven't watched Yama no Susume 2, in part because the original short series didn't grab me last year and I didn't watch it through. I also don't think it would break my top three.

Theatrical features/OVAs is where I think I'm weak, because I have a film I gave a 7/10 on my top three. And so, I give you my list of what I've watched in that category this year, or that I plan to watch, that I think has a chance of making my top three list:

AnoHana the Movie
Madoka Magica Rebellion
Tamako Love Story
GJ-bu@ (OVA)
Patema Inverted
The Wind Rises

Please let me know if there's something that came out this year (on disc) that's not on that list you think I should watch.

You haven't watched Princess Kaguya

AnoHana the Movie
Madoka Magica Rebellion
Tamako Love Story
GJ-bu@ (OVA)
Patema Inverted
The Wind Rises

You're missing the best film of all, The Tale of Princess Kaguya. Giovanni's Island is worth watching as well.

PK Gaming

shirobako 5

I'm tremendously impressed by Tarou's honesty and resilience. I think it's pretty telling that he's unfazed by adversity (unlike Miyamori) and is able to keep moving forward no matter what circumstances befall him. He's bound for great things.

A man like him only comes around every thousand years.

Musashi's lethal weapon

Himemiya

You don't have your shorts locked-in if you haven't seen Nandaka Velonica tbh. And for movies Kaguya-hime is also recommended.

Gazoinks

War in the Pocket 3-6
fUcdgux.gif

So yeah, that was really good. Pretty much every UC Gundam show talks about how war sucks, but this is definitely the best at it I've seen so far (granted I've only seen this, the first two 0079 movies, and half of 08th MS Team, but I feel like my opinion probably won't change). Just a really strong story about a bunch of people being affected by the big nebulous monster that is war, and one kid's adventure from romanticizing it to realizing how horrible it really is. I've really got to give the show credit for doing a good job of making people on both sides of the war feel like normal dudes. There's no "good guy" or "bad guy"
unless you count Killing
, just a bunch of people defending what they believe and trying not to die. Honestly, my only real complaint is that the OST was way too peppy and 80s for the tone of the show's second half.

Then, just when you think it's all over, those ending lines come up and punch you in the stomach one more time.
"Al, don't cry, another war will start soon, and it'll be even bigger, flashier, and more fun than this one!
Geez.

Meerrry Christmas AnimeGaf. ;_;

Shin Sekai Yori/From the New World - 01 - 03

I actually took interest in there from an anime cajunator brought up in the now-locked moe thread, so shout-out of thanks to cajunator!

So far I found alot of big info dumps within these first three episodes but said info dumps were more implicit in execution meaning they're not shoved into your face and with that despite me trying to wrap my head around it my curiosity is peaked enough to have said head wrapping be pleasantly surprising.

Not at all what I expected into watching a show depicted a millennia into the future. I'm really enjoying this light-hearted aspect with the main cast of children but with many red flags hinting at a darker theme shrouded in mystery; reminds me of Madoka Magika in some sort of abstract way.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Outside of Kaguya there's Harmonie and Lupin the Third: Daisuke Jigen's Gravestone. The Girls und Panzer OVA that came out this year is better than some of the other stuff you listed, but a lesser work than other things you can find this year. It's still potentially worth seeking out.

Shin Sekai Yori/From the New World - 01 - 03

I actually took interest in there from an anime cajunator brought up in the now-locked moe thread, so shout-out of thanks to cajunator!

So far I found alot of big info dumps within these first three episodes but said info dumps were more implicit in execution meaning they're not shoved into your face and with that despite me trying to wrap my head around it my curiosity is peaked enough to have said head wrapping be pleasantly surprising.

Not at all what I expected into watching a show depicted a millennia into the future. I'm really enjoying this light-hearted aspect with the main cast of children but with many red flags hinting at a darker theme shrouded in mystery; reminds me of Madoka Magika in some sort of abstract way.

Watch the next ep :)

Doing a rewatch myself. One of my favorite series ever.

Syrinx

Shirobako 12

I was a bit worried that Anno would save the day by accepting the job, since this show had been so real and grounded that it would have undercut things to have a legend like him swoop in and magically save the day. Luckily this didn't happen. It was Sugie who saved the day, and also teaching tue young 'uns a thing or two about sakuga along the way.

Definitely my favorite anime this year.

08th MS Team END

7ddZRba.jpg
gonxlsl.jpg

One of the greatest gundam fights I've ever seen.

And so I have finished my second series in my journey through the history of gundam. I must admit halfway through I honestly considered dropping this. The reason being was not for the battles, or the team dynamics or anything else. I just hated the way way the romance was done in the story and the whole ace solider who constantly disobeys orders and is never punished for it even though his actions, all in the name of love, resulted in the deaths of countless people on the Fed side and honestly didn't really accomplish much in my opinion except get rid of that weapon.

Oh what? The old bullshit line about "Can love bloom on the battlefield between two opposite sides?" Oh fucking please. When you force it as hard as they did from the first episode of course it would. At certain points I'm sitting here watching this thinking "He's just watching her fucking vaporize his comrades and he's still hanging onto her ass all in the name of love!?" And throughout all of this the most his bosses do and give him timeout for a day? Jesus Christ. Oh and of course the one of his higher ups who didn't trust him was of course killed because fuck having someone who didn't like their relationship staying around. And let's not have me get fucking started on the ending cause holy crap. Of course they fucking survived because...because that's a fucking cuter ending even though it makes no fucking sense why they'd still be alive in the first place but whatever this was actually a romance and not a space opera so I should have expected that.

What honestly saved this show for me was the showdown battle with the Gouf Custom and the way his team worked together, argued and struggled for one another despite having such a shitty and unreliable commander.
All and all I'd have to rate this on the lower end of the gundam series I've watched, like below Gundam AGE tier and probably wouldn't recommend it if someone asked.

Two and a half of out 5 ~WANS

Oh well. Onto Turn A Gundam.

08th MS Team END

All and all I'd have to rate this on the lower end of the gundam series I've watched, like below Gundam AGE tier and probably wouldn't recommend it if someone asked.

Really? You actually think that 8th MS Team is worse than AGE? I haven't seen 8th MS, but AGE is horrible.

MC98UXZ.jpg

Well it was fun here.

I can't understand what My husband is saying 1

Decided to test out Crunchyroll on Vita and Wii U.

I hated this. Dropped

Really? You actually think that 8th MS Team is worse than AGE? I haven't seen 8th MS, but AGE is horrible.
When I think about this I see AGE in a more favorable light. But please do not be under the impression I think AGE is a good show or anything like that. Average at best in my book, but I found more joy in watching AGE than I did 08th.

I feel that AGE's first season was better than all of 08th was, but AGE's subsequent seasons were below 08th.

~wan

08th MS Team END

Oh well. Onto Turn A Gundam.

Yes, 8th MS Team has stupid things but this is..

Oof

Clov

Going to be kinda weird once LWA2 comes out.

At that point what do I even have to look forward to from Trigger?

When does Ninja Slayer come out again?

Regardless of the answer to that question, the answer to yours is nothing. Absolutely nothing.

jbug617

Banned
Apparently the final Evangelion movie is scheduled to come out Fall-Winter 2015
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...d-for-fall-winter-2015-with-utada-song/.82629
The first 2015 issue of Bungeishunjū's Weekly Bunshun magazine on Thursday featured an article on the return of singer Hikaru Utada. It quoted a record company source as saying that confidential talks are underway regarding her return to the music industry. The source added that it has been decided that she will sing the theme song for the final new Evangelion film "slated to open between fall and winter of next year." The source explained that Utada has one more album left on her contract with Universal Music Japan, so the company wants the Evangelion song to be the focus of the final album.

However, the source said the theme song tie-in is entirely dependent on director Hideaki Anno opening the film next year as planned. The source explained that Utada can make a song without seeing the story or visuals, but she will not proceed with the project if the opening date is still to be determined.

Shinsekai Yori/From the New World - 04-07

Yeah, this monster rat arc was weak in my opinion. After episode 4 which gave a nice exposition on the overarching mystery of the show, the succeeding episodes took a major turn away and it felt like I was watching something out of Princess Mononoke with sentient animals doing battle with each other and having two lead characters caught up in the moment.

Really hope another arc like this doesn't come or atleast has a better job in execution. Felt very jarring, but anyways next episode looks like a timeskip where characters are older? Nagi no Asukara all over again?

Jarmel

Banned
Gundam Build Try-11

The drama in this is so fucking terrible. Yuuma just staring was laughable.

Despite how bad the drama got sometimes in the first season, it was never this shitty.

"You killed my father"
"But for me it was a Tuesday"

There is like no fucking effort being put into this other than the action/fight sequences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom