• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 |OT2| Idly waiting for the Dog Days of Sabre

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

House of Five Leaves 7-12 END

0002894psn5.png
000290sjsm3.png
0002934psz4.png

000294j8s6m.png
0002922pstr.png
000297mms5l.png

This turned out to be a remarkable little gem, one that I never heard beforehand and stumbled upon through pure coincidence. It shifted into an upper gear in episode 5th and never let go. One of things I liked the most here is that the story feels fresh, unique and never quite went where I thought I would. Even
Masa turned out to be almost a decoy protagonist.
I suppose again my pet peeve with the series is that it left some plot threads hanging.
It is never said why Seinoshin betrayed his gang and Yagi's future course of action towards the gang is left for the interpretation of the viewer.

I've raved about the music before so let me now do the same about the visuals. House of Five Leaves is not a big budget production and is devoid of any elaborate action sequences but it still manages to be quite a looker. It has a distinct character designs, good backgrounds but what I liked most about it was the lighting. With the main light source during nights being candles and lanterns, characters are constantly, partly covered with their light and partly clad in the shadows. It makes for some really neat visuals.

It's kind of hard to pinpoint what exactly is so good about HoFL. It's just a very well directed, melancholic and heart warming at the same time, character driven story. If you can enjoy slow burn shows, I recommend giving it a try.

Also, [URL="http://youtu.be/MByPy4ZMnNM?t=13m31s"]that lovely[/URL] OST.

Yowamushi Pedal 33

Souhoku is full of morons, maybe I should just root for Kyoto. I wonder what excuse they'll have for Onoda to fall behind the pack and then miraculously recover on day three.

Quasar

Well I guess hummingibrd will be gone in a year

We'll see I guess. I do think they need to either offer exclusive features on the pro version or reduce the price for what amounts to removing the adds.

I pay/paid for the pro version of Plex so I'm not against paying for stuff where it comes to things that start free. Ditto Crunchyroll.

They seem to be in a bit of a bind though, with a section of their community seemingly quite against exclusive features for pro users.

Another aspect I guess is the whole 'get new features first'. If they had a track record of major new features periodically (like Plex has) that would be worth something to some people. But really that isn't really the case. I guess from the end user, the only real major new features has been adding Manga support, but thats still only basic support. I'm still waiting for instance to see manga added into the whole feed part of the site.

Of course another curiousity with it is that the project has been open sourced. Not sure what limitations the apache license brings in terms of being able to fork the whole project.

I wish them the best of luck though, I really like it. Its really invigorated my use of such sites. Though that's mostly the really excellent android client.

I put this on my queue list a while back.
Is it a good show?

There is nothing wrong with this show. Huge cast of girl pursuing love in an honnest fashion and i'm sure you'll have your favorites.The mc is not dense and do his job well considering the circustances.

Not a groundbreaking anime but different enough for you to check it out.
It's one of those anime that does harem right

javac

its a Vito thing.

No problem, no ill will against him, I'm sure he has his reasons and I'll look for a better source next time :). I don't really look up anime related news, I just chill on GAF and Blu-ray forums and chat with people who work in UK anime distribution at MVM, Manga, Anime Limited etc so that's where I usually get my bulk of news from, sometimes /a/.

I'm more into old stuff so I don't pay attention to most news but a when something like KLK was announced, or the LWA Kickstarter I obviously found out not soon after but Eva is a big thing to be so I'm always excited at new stuff on that front.

javac

I still need to finish Infinite Ryvius, man I have a bad habit of starting something and getting fully engrossed in it only to just fall victim to things that always happen to occur around that time that prevents me from finishing said show in a timely manner.

I find that I can only watch anime and shows in general at night, with the lights off in total darkness when I'm relaxed...the only issues is I've been getting super tired really early these days. No more awake at 5am watching shows, I'm generally waking up at that time now!

Anyone else have this issue? I think it stems from me making everything like an 'event' and over hyping things, so when I watch something I have to have 100% concentration. I even keep track of when I watch things etc. Basically I'm weird and it means I have times where I just don't get to watch shows and complete them.

I also tend to only watch a single show at a time, and that goes for games too so I tend to have a huge backlog!

I want someone to reassure me, watching a show and taking a say week (or two?) long break mid-way isn't detrimental to my enjoyment right? I usually do so and still enjoy the show obviously but always get this idea in my head that I kind of break immersion or tension for lack of better words when doing so and thus hinder the overall impact of the show. Man the main question is why do I over think something as basic as watching shows lol! :p

phaze

Kemonozume 01
000303gwuiz.png
0003131oua0.png
000318e4ubw.png

000341ohurr.png
000333n2u7l.png
000339adusl.png

Yep, it's Yuasa.

This, Kaiba and Tatami Galaxy has been on my to do list for long time and I guess it's high time I start chipping away at my Yuasa backlog. So far, out of his stuff, I've only seen Ping Pong which I found to be good but not great.

Anyhow this is pretty good so far. Good pacing, brisk dialogue, hilarious monkey and an actual sex scene in an anime. The art style is the weirdest thing I've ever seen animated but other than the hard to follow action scene at the beginning, I'm quite alright with it. Let's see where this goes.

/XX/

its a Vito thing.
I won't fault anyone for learning about stuff from there, as every possible way for more people to access interesting information isn't even enough, always cool to have more and more conscious followers of this (or any) form of entertainment... but sadly this isn't just "a Vito thing", because with the responsibility of attracting such number of followers also comes attached a threshold for fair reporting and proper sourcing/crediting I don't think they always meet.

Being a everything-goes news aggregator doesn't give a free pass on showing publicly part of that content they apparently show as 'theirs' in first or second-hand falsely, and even for extracts from copyrighted materials they are clearly unauthorized to reproduce.

Talking of other, more grateful things; several hours passed already since the Otaku no Video Blu-ray Disc release day commenced, and still no sign of good first reviews made by usual people like catalina (http://catalina.blog.so-net.ne.jp/) and such. Anyway, on these days when GAiNAX passes the 30 years mark since its inception, I can't think of a more fitting way to homage their anniversary than celebrating their roots like this!

Gundam: Reconguista in G 14:
New opening sucks. Bring back the old one! (Never thought I'd be saying that)

Man, Aida looked awesome in that outfit. How cruel of Tomino to only give us a very brief scene of her dressed up like that. I'm glad that we're finally finished with Raraiya being incapable of even tying her own shoelaces and she actually has a character and personality now. It took long enough to get there.

Everything is becoming pure Tomino in this show. The space battle with all these different sides all planning to betray one another was great. Everyone is just doing their own thing, and the result is going to be pretty mad. We also got an acceptable amount of time this episode for Genius Klim Nick and his group. I had to laugh at how relaxed everyone was in that prisoner interrogation. They were just all standing around having a casual conversation with one another.

Vito

Banned
I won't fault anyone for learning about stuff from there, as every possible way for more people to access interesting information isn't even enough, always cool to have more and more conscious followers of this (or any) form of entertainment... but sadly this isn't just "a Vito thing", because with the responsibility of attracting such number of followers also comes attached a threshold for fair reporting and proper sourcing/crediting I don't think they always meet.

Being a everything-goes news aggregator doesn't give a free pass on showing publicly part of that content they apparently show as 'theirs' in first or second-hand falsely, and even for extracts from copyrighted materials they are clearly unauthorized to reproduce.

I used to like ANN, I mean they seemed like a decent news source and in a sense they still are, but the more I learned, the more bitter I became. Their anime Christmas pic batch news posts actually link to pirated scans for example. When the Australian distributor mistakenly published Space Dandy episode 1 prior to its airing in Japan, their founder (now contributor) Sevakis called leakers destructive pschopaths (a grudge that stems from his own personal incompetence with the Oreimo leak). Ironically ANN started paying someone in Japan to get early magazine access, so they now regularly leak announcements prior to publication themselves.

If you follow Zac... the guy is just a bitter asshole that manages to give me serious competition in that department. They were so busy running their exclusive Viz interview on the new Sailor Moon release, nobody questioned the extremely dodgy remastered screenshot. Prior to their review Zac even went on about "screencap culture", you know people who actually care about video quality. Sure enough after people (&ANN) got their sets, he started spinning as if they're the ones that started talking about the Sailor Moon remaster quality issue.

Follow their news long enough and you start to notice some really inconsistent sourcing, they'll claim to find obscure things themselves sometimes (that you, funny enough, saw on twitter 2 days prior), yet credit matome sites for some really mundane stuff. Oh, and their CEO has the integrity of a used car salesman.

TL;DR: I'm allergic to ANN, I get rashes in the form of forum posts. Today it broke out. Sorry and happy holidays!

cajunator

Banned
I used to like ANN, I mean they seemed like a decent news source and in a sense they still are, but the more I learned, the more bitter I became. Their anime Christmas pic batch news posts actually link to pirated scans for example. When the Australian distributor mistakenly published Space Dandy episode 1 prior to its airing in Japan, their founder (now contributor) Sevakis called leakers destructive pschopaths (a grudge that stems from his own personal incompetence with the Oreimo leak). Ironically ANN started paying someone in Japan to get early magazine access, so they now regularly leak announcements prior to publication themselves.

If you follow Zac... the guy is just a bitter asshole that manages to give me serious competition in that department. They were so busy running their exclusive Viz interview on the new Sailor Moon release, nobody questioned the extremely dodgy remastered screenshot. Prior to their review Zac even went on about "screencap culture", you know people who actually care about video quality. Sure enough after people (&ANN) got their sets, he started spinning as if they're the ones that started talking about the Sailor Moon remaster quality issue.

Follow their news long enough and you start to notice some really inconsistent sourcing, they'll claim to find obscure things themselves sometimes (that you, funny enough, saw on twitter 2 days prior), yet credit matome sites for some really mundane stuff. Oh, and their CEO has the integrity of a used car salesman.

TL;DR: I'm allergic to ANN, I get rashes in the form of forum posts. Today it broke out. Sorry and happy holidays!

I like this picture. It makes me happy.

Mature

Vito and /XX/: what are some healthy alternatives to ANN? I don't have any special affinity for them one way or the other, but I've never found any good quick and dirty news sites that weren't just pulling from ANN.

Sega Hard girls forever - 12

NOt much to say about this episode.
If you're still watching , chance that you don't mind the setting , jokes, sega saturn bullying so , well here is it.

Hi-sCoool%21%20SeHa%20Girl%20-%2012.jpg

Sh*tjust got real

So well , space harrier, not much to say other that it was fun and that overall i kinda liked the episode.
Megadrive now know how to dance !! i guess that 100 floor training paid off !!

DominoKid

Yeah, I get that...
but how many episodes did he try to start fights because someone was being bullied/attacked. I don't know, I just got super annoyed during this arc where Gon decided that Kite was > than any other human and was willing to sacrifice whatever to bring him back... when his character was never like that before.

Gons got daddy issues. It reasonable that kite would cause him to flip shit.

e_i

Look at what came in the mail today:

I was lucky enough to get one of Amazon's second batches earlier this week.

Pooya

just caught up with Prison School manga (read all that 4 days and I don't read manga often..) that was pretty... good so far. The comedy is mostly on point even though it is just mostly trashy comedy it's very well done, there are some very brilliant and well executed moments, it's definitely not another trash smut (or at least I like to think so right now! lol). I enjoy the continuity of the events and all the small things that happen and later return to play their role for those aha moments.

I'm very much looking forward to the anime now, it's very challenging to get this right and I don't mean just the censorship problems, the delivery, acting and it demands a whole lot of style in direction. I hope we get it. Censorship problems though damn Meiko scenes are gonna be so hard to bring to TV...

Theonik

Sega Hard girls forever - 12

NOt much to say about this episode.
If you're still watching , chance that you don't mind the setting , jokes, sega saturn bullying so , well here is it.

So well , space harrier, not much to say other that it was fun and that overall i kinda liked the episode.
Megadrive now know how to dance !! i guess that 100 floor training paid off !!
Wait. This is a real show? Why did no-one tell me?

Jex

Vito and /XX/: what are some healthy alternatives to ANN? I don't have any special affinity for them one way or the other, but I've never found any good quick and dirty news sites that weren't just pulling from ANN.

Twitter.

PK Gaming

BTW guys, if you send me £30 (a year) I'll give you a special badge you can apply to your avatar to show everyone you are a special club member of the special club.

Throw in the "GAF King" title and you have yourself a deal

We can all be kings

Vito

Banned

Well, there's Japanese aggregators like Yaraon and Otakomu where ANN pulls their fair share of news, but the majority of Japan is pretty much on twitter, most of anime series have official accounts, most are pretty good at tweeting news... in Japanese.

If you spend some time in this stuff, you eventually notice there's a bit of a pattern to all of this. So yeah, if you're casual, ANN isn't all that bad, I just wish people would stop linking them for everything. Take their stuff and leave them lying cold in a ditch :p

Unrelated but to make holidays more merry:

DEATH™

Amagi Brilliant Park 13

Sento really wants some Kanye fanservice so bad...

And dem Tiramie having 1 Terabyte worth of pictures of Amagi girls...

That PV is the most random thing I watched...

Midonin

Since Amagi's done until the 14th episode is released on video, I thought it was okay. I like the theme park premise, but the way it focused more on the mascots than anything else made it seem like an adult version of Jewelpet at times, or a cruder Muppets. Neither of those are bad, just not what I was expecting. The Elementario episode was my favorite, and I would've liked to see more of Elementario in general. The last episode's emotional moments did work, and it's not like it wasn't fun. It just didn't leave a super strong impression on me.

Still looking forward to seeing what KyoAni does next, after the Beyond the Boundary movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom