• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 |OT2| Idly waiting for the Dog Days of Sabre

Status
Not open for further replies.

faridmon

Psycho Pass any good?

Yes. One of the best writing out there with decent story and all loveable characters. The story doesn't treat you like an idiot and is mostly subtle with a lot of the plot points (Well except for the Sybil stuff) Decent soundtrack and one of the best female protagonist in the medium.

Cool Orwelian dystopian setting doesn't hurt either. Its a must if you like mature Sienen Animes.

The second season is a let down. The last 3 Episode are fantastic, but before that, its a poorly planned and poorly written show.

wonzo

Banned
poe_artwork_ocarina_ox5au3.png

Theonik

S-Cry-Ed 01-07

I got watchbetted this by a friend and...I don't know if I like this show or not. It's kind of weird and very early 2000's so I'm intrigued to keep watching.
It's like a mix of Needless and Stands from JoJo, which sounds like it would be awesome for me, but I'm not feeling it very much.

And what the fuck does S-Cry-Ed even mean? Is it just nonsense or is it important?

Also there is a character called Straight Cougar. I had to check and see if Tomino was involved in this after I heard his name.
He is the best character. He is like Sonic the Hedgehog in man form.
Oh boy. By the end you will see how cougar is the most :Sunrise thing ever created.

phaze

Huh Old GBF ended this year ? Maybe I should watch it. Filling AotY list with deserving entries is suffering so far.

Yu Yu Hakusho END

And that, I may add, was probably one of the finest shounens I've read. After finishing this up, I decided to check out the manga's ending due to some differences. Simply put, there were some interesting bits in the manga, but the anime is fine without those differences.

It's strange, it may not have much creative liberties that some adaptations had, but I feel as if the changes made for Yu Yu Hakusho ultimately gave us the better product in the end. One thing I found completely fascinating is that it's a show with no... filler, something that plagues shounen adaptations alike. In fact, I know I made comparisons to Togashi's later work, HxH, because I can see the paralells in how he approached aspects in both titles. However there was something that did stick out. And one of those happens to be how Yusuke changes... or rather, an aspect that doesn't change.

The aspect I'm referring to is that in other shows were someone didn't fit in, over the course of the series, they learn something, and progressively become more included in their lives, something they've always wanted. In Yusuke's case, he also saw things for the bad, and too occasionally found the good in people. A trait that seperated him from Sensui, who was the opposite. But even after he solves a case, and gets stronger, his school attendence never gets better, and over time, he feels less compelled to actually fit in because it never suited him. In some ways,
seeing this probably gives more sense to making Yusuke of demon lineage, to fully cement that he doesn't belong. His meeting with the OG Spirit Detective further settling that aspect.

And this is probably why I respect Keiko's position in all of this. She didn't need to be involved in anything of this, because she does not belong with the "demons". Her existence involving demons is like Yusuke being with other people. She sees where Yusuke belongs, and even comments on Yusuke being happy about it during the Dark Tournament. And in seeing that aspect is a showing of her understanding Yusuke more, and growing to love each other.

Interestingly, I think Kuwabara overall, probably represented what we would've expected as Yusuke grew, to be more involved in school and whatnot. But that doesn't happen.

I will admit, after Three Kings Arc, Hiei is rather compelling, and how the anime handles the final arc was definitely handled better. Ironically, using filler to show off fights, something the manga failed to do, and as such, made everyone involved more reasonable and understanding. I think the aid of YYH's wonderful soundtrack also helps enhance the moments.

Truth be told, I did think about YYH. Something admittingly I don't really do for this genre very much. And who knows, I guess maybe the final arc could have a bit more to add to it. But the anime still gives it the finish that the manga did not succeed in given, due to whatever circumstances that occured to the time. Quite frankly, I'm satisfied by it.

And given what I bothered to type out while I'm tired, I really don't think YYH really wasted its characters. In fact, I do like that about YYH. There was no need for a really bloated cast (much like the oft compared Bleach does, or other shounens), and so, it gives everyone who is still involved a much proper role that isn't just being filled up nonchalantly by someone else.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind if we recieved another shounen like YYH. Sure it's 112 episodes, but with no filler, and pretty much no bloat either. I think shounens really are worth it if they aren't dreadfully long. And thus, I end my journey of YYH.

S-Cry-Ed 01-07

I got watchbetted this by a friend and...I don't know if I like this show or not. It's kind of weird and very early 2000's so I'm intrigued to keep watching.
It's like a mix of Needless and Stands from JoJo, which sounds like it would be awesome for me, but I'm not feeling it very much.

And what the fuck does S-Cry-Ed even mean? Is it just nonsense or is it important?

Also there is a character called Straight Cougar. I had to check and see if Tomino was involved in this after I heard his name.
He is the best character. He is like Sonic the Hedgehog in man form.
Straight cougar is the best character. your eyes doesn't deceive you.
S-Cry-ed is a good anime , Imo , even if some plot decisions are ridiculous , but part of me want o believe this was on purpose since it made the anime crazier. I like anyone in there that isn't a moron.

Well then , i guess this is good news, i'm quite sure there are lots of twists involved in those 2 games and it kinda explain ( or validate ) the events choices made in the first anime.
This should be very intresting .

Pooya

Lol not Aldnoah Zero by the way. There was a film that had his name under it. It was 3D animated and starred (what looked like) a teen girl and an older bearded man with a guitar if Im to believe the posters. Need to find the MAL entry.

Expelled from Paradise. I thought t was quite bad, hard to sit through. search this thread, some others watched it too.

phaze

Episode 7 of both seasons are The top sillyness eps. Season 1's 'Nice and Breezy' is based on a real story as well.
That said, season 2 is better than Season one in almost every way. Narag and others can attest. But both seasons require a very specific set of tolerances to get through.

Tell me this guy appears in 10th episode for more than 10 seconds and has actual dialogue lines and I will eventually get to it. :p

whatever, don't give a fuck. give it out for gaf secret santa anyways

I honestly don't have one, never felt the need.

Parasyte 12

;_; ;_; ;_; ;_;

There is justice in this world, after all.

Selector Infected Wixoss 02

nocountryforshitposte2cphp.png

Theonik

Tell me this guy appears in 10th episode for more than 10 seconds and has actual dialogue lines and I will eventually get to it. :p
Oh I thought you were just interested in that lol
Well. I think he does. Both seasons kinda play the shitty 'old men and their shitty orders' angle for drama.

Saudades

Still haven't watched most anime movies that came out this year and have only seen a few good shows, but I'll still give my 5 cents so Ping Pong can win.
Is that a sequel to Elfen Lied?
The
piss fetish
was strong this season, especially in Grisaia.

Log Horizon S2 13

I must say this episode turns out to be a whole lot more entertaining than I thought it was going to be. Right when I started I wondered if they had forgotten about Crusty's situations and was glad to see it was addressed even if all if all it was was them wondering what happened to him and curiously enough seeing Misa granted a robotic arm to replace the one she lost when her weapon disappeared with Crusty. Thought it was funny to seee Tetra being helpful towards the girls in their efforts to win Shiroe's favor. But the biggest two things of note happened at the end. Seems the Nazuna isn't as in control of the situation in her city as one might have been lead to believe and based on the preview we finally get to see some happenings in another server and the legendary Kanami that everyone is always referencing.

TUSR

Banned
Death Billiards
Really enjoyed this, the mystery behind the whole setup and environment was great. I'm not sure what to think of the series coming this Winter, 12 episodes seems like a good choice though. Anime Mirai 2013 produced 2 really good products and 2 really meh ones.

Strike Witches S2 - 1-4
They're back, they're training again! Glad to see Mio isn't useless and her 6 months of magic forging has paid off. Episode 3 was uh... Good, I'm glad the Old Hag's family wasn't dead. Was expecting her to reveal they died in Vienna. Charlotte the best, episode 4 was nice. New studio for S2 has paid off, and apparently someone else is doing the new OVA 3 parter too. Anyone know why production has bounced between 3 studios?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Log Horizon Season 2, Episode 13:

Okay, I will say this outright, do not skip this episode, not only is it better then the festival episodes but it serves as a bridge to the next arc, well, kind of. Seems like Log Horizon is going to be taking a detour to the larger world next episode. I really do love this series and, well, that is a detailing for the AOTY list.

phaze

Oh I thought you were just interested in that lol
Well. I think he does. Both seasons kinda play the shitty 'old men and their shitty orders' angle for drama.

Everything and more for our saviour, Monty-sama.

Selector Infected Wixoss 03

Alright this show is awful and not even "so bad it's good" awful. Dropped.

fertygo

Seven Deadly Sins - 12

Catching up, really enjoying it.. but one thing that really bothering me in this show, why the hell the enemy is acting smug and stoic despite realizing the protagonist group is overpowered and could easily bodied them? Like this Guila and Jericho chick, they only recently got power from blood doping shit, but they're the one that act cool stoic and cool at these super saiyan protag group that had more latent and potent power source, its totally weird me out.. its like if John Connor is the one that acting swell as fuck in front of Skynet's terminator.

fertygo

Everything and more for our saviour, Monty-sama.

Selector Infected Wixoss 03

Alright this show is awful and not even "so bad it's good" awful. Dropped.

You watch WIXOSS not because "its so bad its good" but you watch it too see how deep the rabbit hole is, and its glorious.

Why does the AOTY year vote end in february? I understand giving people time after the year ends but an entire month of the next year is way too long.

I'm still against allowing people to vote for one show. It's not unreasonable to ask that a person had at least a little exposure of the field in which they are voting in.

I'm also not really comfortable with the Anime Mirai shorts getting special treatment and increasing the number of votes in the OVA section appears to be done in order to fit them in, which I fundamentally disagree with. I don't think short 5 minute snippets should be given so much power.

Argumentation, Opinion

Why does the AOTY year vote end in february? I understand giving people time after the year ends but an entire month of the next year is way too long.

I'm still against allowing people to vote for one show. It's not unreasonable to ask that a person had at least a little exposure of the field in which they are voting in.

I'm also not really comfortable with the Anime Mirai shorts getting special treatment and increasing the number of votes in the OVA section appears to be done in order to fit them in, which I fundamentally disagree with. I don't think short 5 minute snippets should be given so much power.

Argumentation, Opinion

look at the bright side for the people with few opinions. If Kill La Kill seems like it'll place high we can rally together as a community to give more points to better shows.

Argumentation, Opinion

I do think opening that category so much is overly indulgent. With 7 choices I can just list almost everything in that category that I even enjoyed, there's no hard cuts to be made. It's rather boring really.

Narag

Between the holidays eating up time and I'd think winter shows benefiting from some degree of recency bias, it's nice to have the extra time in what, for many, is a down month to catch up on things. Expecting people to give multiple shows a chance over a week or two sounds chaotic.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well judging by the first batch of posts it was original top three so I don't know why it was increased to seven. Perhaps some talk in the IRC.

Narag

Well judging by the first batch of posts it was original top three so I don't know why it was increased to seven. Perhaps some talk in the IRC.

Yes, it allows for more granularity and spares folk the potential ignominy of Kaguyahime finishing behind the IS OVA.

Jex

AOTY isn't a sprint. It's a marathon. Campaigning takes time.
If you honestly think that the length of a piece of art determines it's quality I can't even begin to understand your thought process. That's a staggeringly reductionist way of consuming any piece of culture.

Midonin

Vanadis 13 + Final Thoughts

If it wasn't for the fancy, colorful, magical girl-esque outfits of the Vanadis, I admit that I wouldn't have been quite as interested. Though there were girls in full armor in Walkure Romanze, but that's a topic for another time. I'm not much of a tactics guy, so while the fights were interesting, I was really only interested in them when one of the Vanadis was using their magic.

Of those five MF Bunko series that were announced, and all aired within this year, I'd place Vanadis at the #2 spot. No Game No Life was the best overall. Dragonar and Blade Dance tie for #3, with Dragonar tied down by its own terminology and Blade Dance being simply middle of the road. Magical Warfare was too much of a trainwreck to end up anywhere but the bottom, and even that had at least a few interesting ideas going for it.

Elen and Lim were a lot of fun to watch together, and I enjoyed Sofya in the few scenes she was in. It never made as big of a splash as Chaika, but in the end, I think I enjoyed it more than Chaika, even if it had no heroine who could equal the cuteness of Chaika herself. I wouldn't be averse to more of this, though.

BluWacky

Clearly they just needed to make more room for people to be able to vote for Wonder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVQdJa0JS8U

Thank God, someone's finally linked this. I swear I've been reading you lot talking about it and have had absolutely no idea how to find it ("wonder anime" turns up Spirit of Wonder, most of the time, in Google). I will finally get around to watching this later today!

I can't vote in AOTY this year, as I, um, didn't finish watching anything at all. Haven't even watched the Ghibli films yet. I have turned into an anime fan who doesn't watch anime, just reads about other people watching it :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom