• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 |OT2| Farming Simulator 2287

I made a post about that in the spoiler thread:

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=190497080&postcount=773

The main quest that started it all is
Reunions
. All hell breaks lose after you finished the main part of the quest (even if you haven't done the final step) and cause you unable to complete BoS recon team missions until you are fully with them. But I have no idea how that impacts things. So keep the main mission at
Getting a Clue - don't let Dogmeat sniff the cigar just yet until you've finished all 3 of BoS recon team mission which includes The Lost Patrol.

I also have no idea whether to do
Road to Freedom
before or after
Reunions and Dangerous Minds
. The problem is that
Road to Freedom
is immediately followed by
Tradecraft
. It's weird to not do that immediately given the proximity of your character to the target of that quest.

Why would you complete Rocket's Red Glare, though?
You blow up the Prydwen in that one.

Question about shops in settlement: If I have multiple shops of same category, do they have (some) unique inventory or not? Obviously having more shops means higher total caps (counting all shops) available to sell loot but, let's say, if I have two weapon emporiums, will they carry some unique weapons?

Yesterday hit jackpot of settlers. More than my settlement resources can handle at this time. It isn't hard to get new settlers at all but I found about 15-20 each in Outpost Zimonja and Hangman's Alley. Turns out I did some settlement quests in which I had to set up recruitment beacon few weeks back in game time. I forgot about it and didn't turn it off after quest. While going through inventory in all settlements, I discovered settlers in each location. 15 settlers in a tiny warzone dump called Hangman's Alley!!! LOL..poor guys came there hoping better future. Enough to populate my settlement and set up supply lines.

Got this a few days ago. Really really enjoying it, much more than FO3 or FO:NV!

One question though - is there an easier way of getting good weapons bar chance? I can't seem to find anything good if I barter with someone, and I end up with a laser pistol 99% of the time.

Got this a few days ago. Really really enjoying it, much more than FO3 or FO:NV!

One question though - is there an easier way of getting good weapons bar chance? I can't seem to find anything good if I barter with someone, and I end up with a laser pistol 99% of the time.

I had same issue early in the game. It gets better as you level up. New weapons will show up in shops and enemies will drop better weapons too. I didn't invest in perks early in the game which allows you to create higher level weapon mods but you can try that. It is useful in long run anyway.

I had same issue early in the game. It gets better as you level up. New weapons will show up in shops and enemies will drop better weapons too. I didn't invest in perks which allows you to create higher level weapon mods but you can try that. It is useful in long run anyway.

Thanks MirageDwarf!

I've been getting silly but funny perks like Bloody Mess but haven't gone near weapon mod perks or anything. Thanks a bunch!

evangd007

As you level up, progress in the game, and go further south and east, you will find more pre-modded weapons and vendors selling pre-modded weapons. Remember that even if you lack the ability to create mods, you can remove mods from existing weapons and install them on others. So, for example, if you find a 10mm that has the magazine you want, you can take it off and put it on the one you have with the good grip and receiver.

Also, some vendors carry unique gear with fixed legendary affixes on them and legendary enemies will drop gear with random legendary affixes.

Replicant

Why would you complete Rocket's Red Glare, though?
You blow up the Prydwen in that one.

Because I didn't know. LOL. I haven't gone that far. The Youtube video mentions a mission that I never see on the Railroad main list mission so I assume it' a typo but I guess not. I'll fix that now.

Also, would you then know if it's better to do
Road to Freedom
before or after
Reunions
? Or it doesn't make any difference?

BizzyBum

Why doesn't my wooden flooring squish bushes? Why can't I scrap bushes? WHY ARE THEY POKING THROUGH MY GODDAMN FLOOR!
zf7yY6E.png

N° 2048

Definitely going to think my next build out more. Totally forgot to think ahead and include the Bobble-heads. Wasted like 4 or 5 points basically, could have used them well.

Because I didn't know. LOL. I haven't gone that far. The Youtube video mentions a mission that I never see on the Railroad main list mission so I assume it' a typo but I guess not. I'll fix that now.

Also, would you then know if it's better to do
Road to Freedom
before or after
Reunions
? Or it doesn't make any difference?

Could be wrong, but I don't think it really matters.

On Demand

Banned
If you need technical support google is your friend. If you want to talk about plot finish the game first or risk getting spoiled

No, all discussion threads contain spoilers regardless of whether or not the thread is labeled spoilers. How is that possible you ask? because no one can agree on what a spoiler is. You need only to look back one page to see someone telling another to spoiler tag his/her IRL Mom dying. Thus it is the responsibility of the spoiler sensitive person to stay the fuck out of any discussion regarding said piece of media: books, music, movies, or video games, until they have completed it.

Come on, a spoiler would obviously be anything related to quest and locations. Minor details about what you do in those quest would be a spoiler too.

To be honest I don't know how anyone's immediate response to someone posting something that personal is to complain about spoilers. Yeesh!

Sorry to hear that Stan, for what it's worth.

This is a Fallout 4 thread is it not? Please don't make it seem like i don't care about personal things like that.

I'm very early in the game. Haven't reached Diamond City yet. But damn, the wastelander sure forgets about his abducted baby pretty quick. Can't even remember him mention it to the first NPCs I encountered.

Holy shit fully modded Gauss Rifle lol 441 DMG (perks, etc) wrecks everything.

Recoil Compensated Shielded Gauss Rifle

Try and find a Instigating or Two-Shot Gauss Rifle. G freakin' G wasteland.

Here are your backups:

Explosive Combat Shotgun
Overseer's Guardian or a Two-Shot Assault Rifle
Instigating Power Fist
Unlimited Capacity Rocket Launcher

Come on, a spoiler would obviously be anything related to quest and locations. Minor details about what you do in those quest would be a spoiler too.

There is no definition to spoilers. Spoilers are completely subjective.

For Example. The Quest, Defend the Castle, has you defend the Castle.

It's not a spoiler cuz it has no context. It doesn't tell you what or where the castles is, who you're defending it from or if the castle is an actual castle or a White Castle burger joint.

but because it has the name of the quest and has a simple action, defend, tied to it you would consider it spoilers. And to the people who do consider this spoilers they should avoid threads altogether.

Shaun, your character's son, is the leader of the institute and is dying of cancer
This is a spoiler as it has plot relevant information and has context.

AEREC

I'm very early in the game. Haven't reached Diamond City yet. But damn, the wastelander sure forgets about his abducted baby pretty quick. Can't even remember him mention it to the first NPCs I encountered.

I gotta say the premise of the story makes it feel very odd to take on side missions or go exploring.

I gotta say the premise of the story makes it feel very odd to take on side missions or go exploring.
Its because Bethesda broke their working formula of giving you a blank slate. It's one of many reasons why I don't consider Fallout 4 anymore of an RPG than Far Cry 4.

Thanks MirageDwarf!

I've been getting silly but funny perks like Bloody Mess but haven't gone near weapon mod perks or anything. Thanks a bunch!

Bloody Mess is good one.

For my build I didn't focus on one play style so ended up being jack of all and master of none. I completely missed Idiot Savant perk in Luck and allocated more than I should in intelligence early on thinking that is the way to get more XP. I stuck to that build and going forward adding more points in perception, agility, armor, weapon mod perks.

psychotron

I'm very nervous I've messed up and want to make sure. Later game spoilers.

I've taken the castle with the Minutemen, and opened the armory. I found the railroad, have access to their HQ, and have done a few of their quests that seem endless, like dead drops and Mila. I've done the BOS missions to the point where I'm endlessly clearing areas or finding tech.

I did a mission last night that got me on board the ship, and I cleared and area of Super Mutants. They then told me to keep my ears open for the location of the institute. Then I started "Reunions" and went to see Piper. This started Dangerous Minds I believe. Have I missed anything or fucked up? What should I do next?

Anyone else been having syncing issues on Xbox One? I'm stuck at the syncing data screen (at 15%). It's maddening because this hasn't happened in the past.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Is there any point to attempting to ring my good settlements in walls or will attackers just spawn inside the perimeter anyway? I hate to waste the building limit on making good-looking border walls that would require foundations to level out.

Replicant

Is there any point to attempting to ring my good settlements in walls or will attackers just spawn inside the perimeter anyway? I hate to waste the building limit on making good-looking border walls that would require foundations to level out.

The idea is not so much to keep them out but to tunnel them into areas where minigun turrets can greet them. I've seen my turrets shredding 8 Raiders including 2 in power armor. Without me giving much help. Place your turrets high enough that they can shoot enemies but are hard to target by them.

The only area where you can effectively wall them off is Red Rocket because they will always come from in front of the area. As long as you set the wall area not going too far from Red Rocket, the wall and turrets will eliminate thread.

Jezbollah

I am on my second playthough - I think the trick to settlements are to ensure minimal junk fence surface area (large enough to create a building to hold a maximum of 21 people, food and water for those people plus a few creature comforts for happiness) and then once you have a nice small settlement, spam it with gun turrets with multiple covering arcs.

I usually only use one door, no guard posts and maybe one gate - that way the only way raiders can do any damage is via grenades being thrown in, or them trying to take out a turret - by the time they try that they're usually getting mowed down by other turrets.

Settlements should be functional and efficient but small - you shouldnt feel obliged to use all the area for the settlement - the larger the settlement, the more area you need to defend, and more resources you use up for that. The only large settlement should be your base where you may have your plantations for adhesive and oil. Sanctuary is usually good enough for me.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
This is the best I've found. Absolutely stupid from an ergonomics point of view, making it a rifle reduces the damage significantly for some reason (probably arbitrary balance issues, which kind of makes me sad).

I see the person who posted this is banned, but maybe someone else knows. I've got almost this exact gun, except with the standard clip and glow-sights. Even at level 4 pistol damage perk I'm only at around the high 30s in damage, so level 5 isn't going to raise that so much. What am I missing?

Edit: Oops, it was quoted.

Edit: Nothing special, but I thought it was amusing how when one of my settlements came under attack by super mutants, a settler raided the corpse of one of the super mutants and just started going to town on the rest of them with a huge minigun.

MG310

I think I broke my Red Rocket settlement permanently.

Sometimes it doubles the population on the Pip Boy to 64 which causes the happiness to crash.

Whenever there's trouble at Sanctuary Hills it always points to a settler at Red Rocket or Covenant now too even though those people have never actually lived there.

Had the bug where all of the settlers detach from their farming/shop posts happen a 3rd time at Red Rocket as well.

Having better luck at the Drive In so far. Built a 2 story metal building attached to the drive-in screen to house everyone, concrete walls/turrets all around and 2 tier 3 water purifiers in the pool in the center of town. Put a line of clinics in front of the house and I'm up to 87 happiness in way less time than it took me to get Red Rocket going.

Faenix1

I am on my second playthough - I think the trick to settlements are to ensure minimal junk fence surface area (large enough to create a building to hold a maximum of 21 people, food and water for those people plus a few creature comforts for happiness) and then once you have a nice small settlement, spam it with gun turrets with multiple covering arcs.

I usually only use one door, no guard posts and maybe one gate - that way the only way raiders can do any damage is via grenades being thrown in, or them trying to take out a turret - by the time they try that they're usually getting mowed down by other turrets.

Settlements should be functional and efficient but small - you shouldnt feel obliged to use all the area for the settlement - the larger the settlement, the more area you need to defend, and more resources you use up for that. The only large settlement should be your base where you may have your plantations for adhesive and oil. Sanctuary is usually good enough for me.

For some reason I like to do concrete walls, with a turret on every other foundation. uses a crapload of concrete - which in turn uses up a ton of caps. Save that for certain "problem" areas only; like finches farm, ect. cause mutants come by there all the bloody time it seems.

I have two "main" settlements. Settlements in the north link to Santuary, Settlements in the South link to The Castle. With The Castle linked to Santuary.

Getting 100 happiness is also a lot easier than I expected. Built up Red Rocket to be for companions, but I unlinked it from my network and added five people. Had one on 6 mutfruit, 5 on Clinics. Had 9 water. Within an hour or two I had 100 happiness.

Red Rocket is concrete foundation walled, with turrets on every other foundation or so. Has a platform on top that can hold 9 people, the rest would of slept in the existing building. Also had a Power armor garage set up. (Funny how plans change)

John Dunbar

correct about everything
been enjoying the game so far, but i can't believe how awful they managed to make settlement building. dragging furniture or building in front of you is unspeakably terrible. and you can't even tell which settlers have been assigned to which tasks (would it be so difficult to have some "unassigned settler" marker?). there are surely many other things wrong with this system that i fortunately cannot recall right now, but it has pretty much guaranteed that other than dropping some beds and crops, i will not bother with settlement building.

modding weapons is terrible as well, the way you can't just switch mods when you find a weapon that has one you would like to take for your own gun, instead you have to build or already have another mod for that gun so the mod you want will become available. just awful.

fun game, but with some horrendous game design.

Replicant

How can I get settlers to use the weapons I gave them? I already equipped the weapon in their inventory but when I get back, they always go back using their weak-ass pipe pistol. :/

Faenix1

We should be able to mod companion starter weapons.

I want to give mine a silenced weapon, since they feel the need to always pew pew. But I don't want to manage ammo too. >.>

Ok, I've been unable to turn in Boston After Dark for weeks now. A little concerned because I'm not sure the ballistic weave mission will open up without it.

Redd

I can't seem to get Preston Garvey to be my companion. He keeps asking me if I think we're ready to take the Castle. Is there a fix?

Replicant

I can't seem to get Preston Garvey to be my companion. He keeps asking me if I think we're ready to take the Castle. Is there a fix?

Go to the Castle and do the mission already. Then he can be your companion after that. Warning: you better have great HP or some good power armor. Although in my case the enemy of the piece conked off on its own when it went through the mine I set up.

Speaking of, who in their right mind wanted to set up a settlement at the Murkwater ex-construction site? I mean, COME ON! Hangman Alley is one thing and that was a dump (although I managed to turn that around - a bit). But that site? Ugh, I wouldn't send my enemy to live there.

Redd

Go to the Castle and do the mission already. Then he can be your companion after that. Warning: you better have great HP or some good power armor. Although in my case the enemy of the piece conked off on its own when it went through the mine I set up.

Speaking of, who in their right mind wanted to set up a settlement at the Murkwater ex-construction site? I mean, COME ON! Hangman Alley is one thing and that was a dump (although I managed to turn that around - a bit). But that site? Ugh, I wouldn't send my enemy to live there.

Did the castle quest Taking back Independence. Now he's back at Sanctuary but I still can't get him to follow me. What am I doing wrong?

I've got almost this exact gun, except with the standard clip and glow-sights. Even at level 4 pistol damage perk I'm only at around the high 30s in damage, so level 5 isn't going to raise that so much. What am I missing?

Lone wanderer level 3 adds 25% damage iirc and bloody mess 3 another 15% so maybe he had those.

Figured out easiest way to remove supply line: kill provisioner. Follow them into out of sight area, enter in sneak mode to make sure nobody sees you, kill them. Provisioner doesn't even enter in build area in some of the settlements (exa. Zimonja and Abernathy Farm) making it really hard to stop them.

Replicant

Did the castle quest Taking back Independence. Now he's back at Sanctuary but I still can't get him to follow me. What am I doing wrong?

I read that there's a bug that sometimes occur that prevents him from giving you further missions. I'm not sure what causes it though. Did you build the beacon at the castle? And speak to him afterwards?

Ricker

How the hell do I break the rubble for the Castle quest to reach the armory ?...the quest points me to the stupid workbench and the whole building menu things and there is nothing there to make explosives...I tried grenades,molotovs,mines I have on me instead but that doesnt seem to work,so I just left and kept on doing the fun things.

Medicated

Neo Member
How the hell do I break the rubble for the Castle quest to reach the armory ?...the quest points me to the stupid workbench and the whole building menu things and there is nothing there to make explosives...I tried grenades,molotovs,mines I have on me instead but that doesnt seem to work,so I just left and kept on doing the fun things.

Go into building mode and just scrap it like you would anything else

Top Bottom