• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 2 |OT| of Money, Diamonds, and Military Checkpoints

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Take better screenshots, guys.

The ones posted in this thread look like SHIT, with the exception of the sunset one.

Druz

I missed the $44.95 window on steam so I'm going to need some screen shots to make up for the $5, how bout it folks.

Zeliard

chespace said:
Downloading now.

Will have impressions and benchmark results later.

Also, how do you take screens?

Use Fraps.

So, when I use the "ultra high" overall setting, it checks the bloom option, even with DX10 on. Does the game run HDR and bloom simultaneously? If I uncheck bloom it changes to "custom" rather than ultra high.

Zzoram

Zeliard said:
Use Fraps.

So, when I use the "ultra high" overall setting, it checks the bloom option, even with DX10 on. Does the game run HDR and bloom simultaneously? If I uncheck bloom it changes to "custom" rather than ultra high.

I think it does HDR and bloom. On DX9, both were checked for me.

chespace

Also, I wish this game had motion blur. The screenshots would really look much better.

Zeliard

Zzoram said:
I think it does HDR and bloom. On DX9, both were checked for me.

K, cool.

I don't think I'll be able to handle everything at ultra high, anyway. :lol Q6600, 2gb RAM, 8800 GTX @ 621/1053.

But that's how I always start off with every game, and then tweak it from there. What's the biggest FPS hog setting? Shaders? I'd rather not have to sacrifice the visuals too much, though.

Zzoram

Zeliard said:
K, cool.

I don't think I'll be able to handle everything at ultra high, anyway. :lol Q6600, 2gb RAM, 8800 GTX @ 621/1053.

But that's how I always start off with every game, and then tweak it from there. What's the biggest FPS hog setting? Shaders? I'd rather not have to sacrifice the visuals too much, though.

Ultra High was too much for my HD4870.

again, NV owners, stay the fuck away from the Beta 180.24 drivers. Crashes every 2-5 minutes into the first part of the game before you can save. I'm down reving back to the 178.24 drivers hoping for better fortune.

Zeliard

VictimOfGrief said:
again, NV owners, stay the fuck away from the Beta 180.24 drivers. Crashes every 2-5 minutes into the first part of the game before you can save. I'm down reving back to the 178.24 drivers hoping for better fortune.

Good to know, since I was going to update to them pretty soon. Still on 178.13. Is there any relatively decent bump with the 24s or basically the same?

Zeliard said:
Good to know, since I was going to update to them pretty soon. Still on 178.13. Is there any relatively decent bump with the 24s or basically the same?
.24's are nice and stable and good increases from the .13's.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
1080p / DX10 / Ultra High / 2xAA

Just a few random captures. I don't really like the look of the game that much overall.

farcry2-01.jpg

farcry2-02.jpg

farcry2-03.jpg

rabhw

If the game looks like those screenshots... looks like shit. Everything looks like cardboard cutouts for lack of a better term.

chespace

Is there a way to run around without your arm and gun models sticking out in front of you?

I always slung my weapons in Crysis when I wasn't in combat mode.

The arm and gun models in this game are really bad and distracting.

Zeliard

rabhw said:
If the game looks like those screenshots... looks like shit. Everything looks like cardboard cutouts for lack of a better term.

Yeah, there's something odd about it. That tree in the second pic really does look like a cardboard cutout.

VictimOfGrief said:
.24's are nice and stable and good increases from the .13's.

Good to know, gonna install those now.

Flunkie

Banned
chespace said:
Is there a way to run around without your arm and gun models sticking out in front of you?

Knife?

Mr.City

rabhw said:
I think it looks great. What kind of setup are you running, Evilore?

Chiggs

Gold Member
I'm seriously considering taking this game back. The screens posted aren't that hot, and what's more disturbing is EvilLore's linear criticism.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Chiggs said:
I'm seriously considering taking this game back. The screens posted aren't that hot, and what's more disturbing is EvilLore's linear criticism.

There's a tutorial section at the beginning that lasts a pretty long time (over an hour, IIRC), after I finished that the game world opened up.

Zzoram

IGN says the first part of the game is more linear, and the choice between factions doesn't really open up until a few hours later.

Chiggs

Gold Member
EviLore said:
There's a tutorial section at the beginning that lasts a pretty long time (over an hour, IIRC), after I finished that the game world opened up.

Okay, I'm keeping it.

Zzoram

Flunkie said:
Yeah, the game holds your hand through the first hour or so.

Ya, it's pretty ridiculous hand holding too. "Hold shift to run" as the game pauses and a big "ok" button appears in the middle of the screen.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
My main concern right now is that the shooting is pretty bad. The guns handle poorly, it takes too many shots to down an enemy (on normal) considering they're not wearing any protection at all, and if you use any guns you find off enemies they jam like 1-2 times per magazine, which is extremely annoying. It's not only that enemies seem to take too many shots to kill, but hit detection feels funky. I sneak up on a guy, point the iron sights at his chest from a couple feet away, go full auto...and he lives. Sometimes he just spins around and alerts without any blood appearing.

Since there are a ton of weapons to unlock from the gun dealer (and dealer weapons don't have the jamming prob) I'm hoping things improve later on with the better weapons. That's next on the to-do list, since the initial big faction mission after the end of the tutorial took a long time to get through.

Chiggs

Gold Member
My main concern right now is that the shooting is pretty bad. The guns handle poorly, it takes too many shots to down an enemy (on normal) considering they're not wearing any protection at all, and if you use any guns you find off enemies they jam like 1-2 times per magazine, which is extremely annoying. It's not only that enemies seem to take too many shots to kill, but hit detection feels funky. I sneak up on a guy, point the iron sights at his chest from a couple feet away, go full auto...and he lives. Sometimes he just spins around and alerts without any blood appearing.

Since there are a ton of weapons to unlock from the gun dealer (and dealer weapons don't have the jamming prob) I'm hoping things improve later on with the better weapons. That's next on the to-do list, since the initial big faction mission after the end of the tutorial took a long time to get through.

STALKER?

EviLore said:

I picked up an M4 style rifle with a red dot on it and now I can take down a guy with 2 bursts from it. Hopefully I can unlock it to buy from a dealer soon.

FatalT

Banned
I'm like 10 minutes into the game, but I figured I'd post some shots.

Ultra High settings, no AA, DX10, vsync off, 1280x800 resolution

Field.jpg

Pretty much the first actual area of the game I've gotten to in the 10 minutes I've played. I drove here in a car which was really cool.

Knifed.jpg

I just snuck up behind this dude and hit him with my machete and he fell to the ground but was still alive and flipping out. He went to grab his pistol from his holster because he dropped his shotgun when he hit the ground so I stood above him for a little bit laughing at the game then when he was about to shoot me I crouched down and jabbed the machete into his chest. So far this game is awessoooommmme.

Gonna play some more!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Need difficulty suggestions. Game provides nothing about the differences, just a vanilla menu asking what level you want.

I want a challenge and I want achievements...but I don't want to slit my wrists like CoD4 almost made me do on Veteran.

Zzoram

Brandon F said:
Need difficulty suggestions. Game provides nothing about the differences, just a vanilla menu asking what level you want.

I want a challenge and I want achievements...but I don't want to slit my wrists like CoD4 almost made me do on Veteran.

Don't pick the hardest one. Hardcore should be challenging but not impossible, just remember to aim for the head.

Loving it so far, didn't think I would like it this much. The whole buddy saving you thing when you die is awesome. Just unlocked some new weapons by destroying a convoy, can't wait to check them out. Buying the sniper rifle ASAP was a good idea, it was taking forever to take someone down with the G3. For some reason this game doesn't lend itself to screenshots, its much better in motion. The gradual day/night cycle is impressive and it has good use of HDR.

Nikorasu

Just decided not to wait for Canadian stores and got it on steam. Everything looks ass-ugly but what are you gonna do. People's gameplay impressions sound awesome. 66% done.

But goddamn. If that is ultra-high then I shudder to think what the console versions look like.

Mohonky

GhostRidah said:
anyone else having weird color issues and strange big black boxes all over the screen? like this

FarCry22008-10-2212-58-08-07.jpg

Using a HD 4870 with catalyst 8.8 drivers.

Stop trying to smoke the wildlife.

FatalT

Banned
Just played some more and made it to a second village. My FPS was a bit high so I figured I'd beef up the settings. I upped the resolution to 1440x900 and the AA to 2x with a little bit of a performance hit, but now it looks even better! If the game ever drops WAY below 30 I'll probably move the settings back to what they were before, but I doubt it will.

village.jpg

This is the second village I've made it to.

fire.jpg

I decided that it would be in my best interests to set it on fire. :D

The small details in this game are pretty amazing. I took a screen shot of the flamethrower idling to show off how the wind actually moves it around but I couldn't see it very well in the shot. The way the wind moves trees and grass is just ridiculous. Not to mention the character animations and the way people react to being shot! I love it!

Chiggs

Gold Member
VaLiancY said:
Charging handles and ejection ports on the wrong side of the gun. It's the gun whore in me but I find that so annoying. -_-

Yeah, I noticed this in STALKER, too. Why do they do this?

TTG

Just got out of the tutorial... seems like the game could be a great combination of a shooter and a open world game. At worst would be like Mercenaries 2 in first person. :lol

Oh and the voice acting, it's crap.

chespace said:

Hey I do the same thing!

...actually tend to do this for every shooter that has a "holster" option ....unless it's HL2...then I just have my crowbar out the majority of the time :D

VaLiancY said:
Charging handles and ejection ports on the wrong side of the gun. It's the gun whore in me but I find that so annoying. -_-

didn't notice these things till after I joined the military ...and yeah, it's amusing when I noticed things like that. It's particularly ridiculous in Black
...I think I remeber Battlefield2 getting it right though

Chiggs

Gold Member
VictimOfGrief said:
Confirmed that the 180.24 drivers were the cause. 178.24's are golden. Loving this game!! :D

Interesting. I wonder if that's the reason the 9800GX2 takes a big shit in the Guru3D article.

VaLiancY

AgentOtaku said:
Hey I do the same thing!

...actually tend to do this for every shooter that has a "holster" option ....unless it's HL2...then I just have my crowbar out the majority of the time :D

didn't notice these things till after I joined the military ...and yeah, it's amusing when I noticed things like that. It's particularly ridiculous in Black
...I think I remeber Battlefield2 getting it right though

BF2 did get it right from what I could remember. I forgot what game it was but I remember I had a machine gun and I was just spraying rounds and I thought to myself..."These fucking brass shells are annoying and must be hot as hell."

chespace

Okay, completely underwhelmed with my first vanilla benchmark.

I went in and set everything to super high whatever, 1920x1200, DX10, 8xAA.

Settings: Demo(Ranch Small), 1920x1200 (60Hz), D3D10, Fixed Time Step(No), Disable Artificial Intelligence(No), Full Screen, Anti-Aliasing(8x), VSync(No), Overall Quality(Ultra High), Vegetation(Very High), Shading(Ultra High), Terrain(Ultra High), Geometry(Ultra High), Post FX(High), Texture(Ultra High), Shadow(Ultra High), Ambient(High), Hdr(Yes), Bloom(Yes), Fire(Very High), Physics(Very High), RealTrees(Very High)

Average Framerate: 38.63
Max. Framerate: 58.25
Min. Framerate: 23.03

I'm currently running 8.10 release.

I'll try the hotfix now and see if there's a difference.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Q6600@3.2ghz
4gb DDR2
8800GT Superclock
Vista x64, Dx10 mode @ 1680x1050, no AA

Runs really smooth on the default Very High or whatever. Only put about an hour into it but I love it so far. The gunplay is hard to get used to after coming from Crysis Warhead, which is the last PC shooter I played. Still, love how it looks, and so far love the mechanics of the world.

jpaovl.jpg

Top Bottom