• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 2 |OT| of Money, Diamonds, and Military Checkpoints

Kibbles said:
Then play ranked. I'm sure there are options where you can opt not to play on user-created maps in unranked though.
Dur. Should have thought of that. If thats in then its fine--I tend to be wary of people's creations though, especially right at the launch of things like this.

Zzoram

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
I'm geting this and Fallout 3 sometime but I have no clue for which system I should buy for.

PS3 or 360???

360 for Fallout 3, it has exclusive DLC.

Either for Farcry 2, but probably 360. They indicated the framerate is a bit better on 360.

cluto

Kibbles said:
Yup :D I can't remember if I heard it in a map editor demonstration video or if I read it, but definitely true.
I've been following FC2 pretty closely but I had never heard it mentioned that the only difference between the editors are the controls and interface; I had always thought Ubisoft was just keeping quiet about a less fleshed out console editor. I wasn't expecting to be able to create all of the stuff in that map editor video. F YEAH.

Mohonky

chespace said:
Yeah, Crysis this is not. :lol

screenshot_07.jpg

The fuck? Who ever take this shot colour blind or something? Contrast is so high it's bleeding all over the place....

Lovely Salsa said:
Its leaked on the internets

Remember people, if you pirate you're gonna have a bad time

Funny how its the 360 version being leaked and not the pc version, you think it would of been the opposite.

KrawlMan

Here's a question for anybody that has the game:

A friend of mine insists that (based off of the trailer) the game has piss poor lip syncing...comparing it to that of a "ventriloquist puppet".

So whats the verdict on this? Is the lip syncing up to par with the rest of the games visuals?

Somnia

KrawlMan said:
Here's a question for anybody that has the game:

A friend of mine insists that (based off of the trailer) the game has piss poor lip syncing...comparing it to that of a "ventriloquist puppet".

So whats the verdict on this? Is the lip syncing up to par with the rest of the games visuals?

Um...I'll tell ya next time I play but that might be awhile all I'm playing is Dead Space right now...I didn't pay attention to the lip syncing so it must not be all that bad.

dLMN8R

Zzoram said:
Lately it seems 360 leaks first. I guess it's demand.
PC version leaks first - OMFG PC GAMING IS DYING
Console version leaks first - OMFG CONSOLE VERSION IS IN HIGHER DEMAND PC GAMING IS DYING

:lol

Nothing to do with demand.

Sutanreyu

belvedere said:
Long story but basically it comes down to a translated statement from one of the developers someone posted at beyond3d.

The original poster has since refined his comments a bit. It turns out the dev said that under heavy load, the PS3 version is more likely to drop to 25fps than the 360 ver.

Edit:

Here's the quote from the dev

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=48001&page=10

Thing is... I read through the thread in Spanish, and no where did he mention that he was a dev.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Is this game coming out next week on Steam?

If so, I gotta hurry through Crysis and Warhead. :D

I can't wait to play this game. But man I wish this game had bots. It would have been my dream game if it had bots to use with that crazy map editor. :D But anyway I absolutely loved Montreal's Instincts games and I can't wait for this game.

chespace

Mohonky said:
The fuck? Who ever take this shot colour blind or something? Contrast is so high it's bleeding all over the place....

No, this is high contrast... :D

n3wym1.jpg

the_zombie_luke said:
I can't wait to play this game. But man I wish this game had bots. It would have been my dream game if it had bots to use with that crazy map editor. :D But anyway I absolutely loved Montreal's Instincts games and I can't wait for this game.
The speedmapping video shows him placing figures on the map that are probably AI bots. But this might be a PC-only thing.

mileS

REV 09 said:
http://www.gamoholic.net/index.php/Specials/GC-2008/GC-2008-Far-Cry-2-gameplay-video-and-map-editor.html

awesome 25min preview. first 15 minutes is sp. last 10 is map editor. the editor part is a must see imo. this is my LBP.

thanks for the link.

Damn I'm going to have to buy this now... Why oh why does October have to be flooded with great games. November is just as bad... where the fuck am I going to find the time to play everything? Maybe I should break my leg so I don't have to work for a couple months.

mileS said:
thanks for the link.

Damn I'm going to have to buy this now... Why oh why does October have to be flooded with great games. November is just as bad... where the fuck am I going to find the time to play everything? Maybe I should break my leg so I don't have to work for a couple months.
:lol We wouldn't be in this mess if they released more of them in the summer.

mileS said:
thanks for the link.

Then you won't be making money to pay for the games, unless you get payed sick days or something along those lines.

Played about 3 hours so far and I'm very impressed. It's slow to start, and the graphics don't wow at first but once you start taking everything in it grabbed a hold of me. I really like the structure and sense of place. Bioshock was my favorite game last year because of it's setting and so far this game is closest to it in so far as setting up a unique landscape. Stuff like driving a dune buggy to a mission point at night, the car rattling as I look down at a map and out in the night headlights stream at me. I turn off into what I think is a shortcut but it's just a dead end. I hop out of my smoking vehicle as a jeep swerves into and kills a zebra between us and as he hops out I shotgun his face. Single screen shots during certain times of day can look bad, but once evening hits the lighting just looks gorgeous everywhere and night is beautiful too. I'm going to back to playing it but yeah, it's certainly turned out better than I'd expected.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
chespace said:
No, this is high contrast... :D
Che, you have to realize that there are plenty of less than impressive Crysis shots out there as well. It all depends on the lighting of the scene.

chespace

dark10x said:
Che, you have to realize that there are plenty of less than impressive Crysis shots out there as well. It all depends on the lighting of the scene.

Yes, a lot of the indoor stuff just don't look that great (e.g., the building where you get the rocket launchers to take out the two tanks).

But what does that have to do with high contrast?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
chespace said:
Yes, a lot of the indoor stuff just don't look that great (e.g., the building where you get the rocket launchers to take out the two tanks).

But what does that have to do with high contrast?
I'm more or less just referring to the fact that you were picking on that screenshot. There are plenty of shots floating around that depict Crysis in a less than stellar manner, you know.

I mean, something like this is pretty unattractive, if you ask me...

http://www.techspot.com/articles-info/118/images/Gamer_03.jpg

I suppose the point is that FC2 looks significantly better than that single screenshot would suggest.

robut said:
Played about 3 hours so far and I'm very impressed. It's slow to start, and the graphics don't wow at first but once you start taking everything in it grabbed a hold of me. I really like the structure and sense of place. Bioshock was my favorite game last year because of it's setting and so far this game is closest to it in so far as setting up a unique landscape. Stuff like driving a dune buggy to a mission point at night, the car rattling as I look down at a map and out in the night headlights stream at me. I turn off into what I think is a shortcut but it's just a dead end. I hop out of my smoking vehicle as a jeep swerves into and kills a zebra between us and as he hops out I shotgun his face. Single screen shots during certain times of day can look bad, but once evening hits the lighting just looks gorgeous everywhere and night is beautiful too. I'm going to back to playing it but yeah, it's certainly turned out better than I'd expected.

Nice. That right there sold it for me. Okay, I was already leaning that way, but you know...

dLMN8R

KrawlMan said:
Updated OP just under the System Requirements with:

Far Cry 2 GPU and CPU Benchmarks
Not really surprising. Even at "Ultra High" settings, Far Cry 2 doesn't visually beat Crysis/Warhead on "High/Gamer" settings, let alone "Very High/Enthusiast". Of course it'll run better.

And these benchmarks were on "Very High" Far Cry 2 settings, not "Ultra High".

So basically, they're comparing Far Cry 2 looking slightly better than Crysis on Medium settings as running better than Crysis on High/Very High settings. And we get obvious results.

bee

Even with a Core 2 Duo E6600 or an Athlon 64 X2 6000+ and a Geforce 9800 GT/8800 GT or a Radeon HD 4850 you can play the highest settings

nice, bet that's not the case at 1080p though

Chiggs

Gold Member
bee said:
nice, bet that's not the case at 1080p though

I don't think this game even supports 1080P. 1680x1050 is the highest I saw in that article.

Edit: Yet the review mentions 1080P, but doesn't even run the benchmark?

Zzoram

Chiggs said:
So the max res in this game is 1680x1050?

Probably not, but that's what was tested most extensively since it's the most popular high resolution, due to the abundance of cheap 22" LCDs.

bee

no way that will be max res, the benchmarks look half finished, at the bottom of the high end gpu page is "Far Cry 2: 1.920x1.080, 4x FSAA, 4:1 AF"

Chiggs

Gold Member
bee said:
no way that will be max res, the benchmarks look half finished, at the bottom of the high end gpu page is "Far Cry 2: 1.920x1.080, 4x FSAA, 4:1 AF"

Yeah, I just failed at reading. Sorry. :lol

chespace

I'm pretty sure this game is just a case of bad screenshot-itis.

I think it'll be very immersive and quite beautiful in motion.

I have no problems getting into games like STALKER, Operation Flashpoint, etc. with graphics far less impressive than Crysis, and yet, still somehow very atmospheric and immersive in its own way.

Good to know I'll be able to play it maxed out at 8xAA. Never really played a game with that much AA before.

Zzoram

chespace said:
I'm pretty sure this game is just a case of bad screenshot-itis.

I think it'll be very immersive and quite beautiful in motion.

I have no problems getting into games like STALKER, Operation Flashpoint, etc. with graphics far less impressive than Crysis, and yet, still somehow very atmospheric and immersive in its own way.

Good to know I'll be able to play it maxed out at 8xAA. Never really played a game with that much AA before.

The jaggies will be so smooth, they'll polish your eyes.

Nizz

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Nice looking footage, but I think that was from the PC version. When the character walked up to stuff he could interact with, I didn't see the "Y" button prompt onscreen. Just the hand icon. Plus, the speed he was turning in the game looked like he was using a mouse & keyboard. Still, looks very nice!

KrawlMan

NameGenerated said:
Why does that one guy continue crouching after his friend was sniped dead about a foot beside him?

In general im very impressed with the game, but that part does look really off :lol

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
robut said:
You have also sold me on this game. I'll be trading in my Bioshock preorder for this puppy! (Bio didn't do a thing for me in the demo, bah).

chespace

Top Bottom