• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 2 |OT| of Money, Diamonds, and Military Checkpoints

eso76

and by the way, the game is really growing on me.
i just had fun wandering in the forest, listening to conversations, enjoying random shit happening (like an enemy car chasing me, falling off a cliff onto an ammo depot, setting crates on fire and holy shit, the fireworks! bullets flying everywhere).

Also, while gunfights are quite random in the forest, they become very enjoyable in villages, or urban scenarios, where much more strategy is involved and you're able to take cover, actually hide inside a house and shoot people from the windows or from the rooftop.

And i can't stress enough how amazing the map editor is.

Az987

all good things
HybridXL said:
thank you. god, i dont get the deal with the graphics.
i had the ps3 version and i considered it to look really bad, like nowhere near as good as people are making it up to be.

i returned it for bioshock and living happy now.

well im not really saying the graphics are bad... cause i think in those pics above my post it looks great... but thats not what my game looks like lol. I dunno maybe its my tv or maybe im playing at the wrong time of day in the game..

fernoca

Just got this..knowing Im never finishing it, suck playing online..and Fable II is consuming 95% of play time..

And darn..color me surprised..the visuals are quite great (even better than the off-screen pics a few posts above)..and it's quite interesting..

Wanted to play something like this in a FPS.."free", pretty, with lots of vegetation, the whole medicine thing..really nce, well worth it.

KrawlMan

Az987 said:
well im not really saying the graphics are bad... cause i think in those pics above my post it looks great... but thats not what my game looks like lol. I dunno maybe its my tv or maybe im playing at the wrong time of day in the game..

Definitely could be the time of day. Some places at certain times of day do come off as a little ugly. Other times though, really stunning :).

Screenshot1.jpg

screenshot5.jpg

Screenshot2.jpg

Screenshot6.jpg

Screenshot8.jpg

Stitch

Gold Member
MaritalWheat said:
Wat? Zebras & Gazelles > Crabs & Fish dude. And trust me, I love Crysis. But don't bullshit please.
there's much more wildlife in crysis.

lots of fish in the water and even sharks (and those will attack and kill you). turtles, chicken, lots of different birds, rats, spiders, butterflies, frogs, bettles and probably some other things.

in far cry 2 we have zebras, gazelles, gnus, chicken and some bugs/termites
and they are reaaaallyyy rare. the first few hours i actually never seen any animals and thought i would have to set everything to very high to see them...

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
Stitch said:
there's much more wildlife in crysis.

lots of fish in the water and even sharks (and those will attack and kill you). turtles, chicken, lots of different birds, rats, spiders, butterflies, frogs, bettles and probably some other things.

in far cry 2 we have zebras, gazelles, gnus, chicken and some bugs/termites
and they are reaaaallyyy rare. the first few hours i actually never seen any animals and thought i would have to set everything to very high to see them...

I actually had an African Buffalo ram my Jeep after I had stopped and gotten out to look for a diamond. Unfortunately I was standing in front of the car, and as a result the car then ran me over and took half my health. I turned and looked, thinking I was getting shot, but all I saw was my jeep and the corpse of an animal.

The buffalo died of what I assume to be head trauma.

Ledsen

Stitch said:
because it is
one level in crysis has more animals than the whole world in far cry 2

Ikuu said:
Because it is?

I will never understand this. Who cares about animals when the world is this amazing? Today I spent 6-7 hours driving around just enjoying the beautiful world and shooting up guard posts. Oh and I unlocked every single safehouse and post on the map. I can't get enough of the driving because of the insane vistas. It's the most immersive game I've ever played, and if it had no gameplay, only vehicles and environments, I would still drive around for hours and hours gawking at the awesome. But to each his own I guess.

Manp

god knows i'm really trying to like this game. it just doesn't work for me :|

it's like it sums up everything i hate in FPSs and keep trowing that stupid stuff at me...

Stitch

Gold Member
Campster said:
I actually had an African Buffalo ram my Jeep
that's a gnu

Ledsen said:
Who cares about animals when the world is this amazing?
because it isn't. it's like gta without civillians and every few seconds the police comes and try's to arrest you.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Will we ever be able to add scopes and/or silencers to your standard weapons?

I'd love to be able to take an assault rifle and add at least a reflex or ACOG scope to it.

Man, there are so many little things this game could have done to make it a timeless classic, or at least to Out-STALKER STALKER.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Ledsen said:
I will never understand this. Who cares about animals when the world is this amazing? Today I spent 6-7 hours driving around just enjoying the beautiful world and shooting up guard posts. Oh and I unlocked every single safehouse and post on the map. I can't get enough of the driving because of the insane vistas. It's the most immersive game I've ever played, and if it had no gameplay, only vehicles and environments, I would still drive around for hours and hours gawking at the awesome. But to each his own I guess.

Totally agree. I'm right at 5 hours in, and I've just been doing missions for the firearms store guy and a bunch of the cellular tower assassination missions. I fucking LOVE those, they are so much fun. If they game was nothing but that kind of mission I'd still love it.

Nearly every firefight has some craziness that goes on. I've seen a grenade explosion blow a guy through a window, I've seen a truck with 2 guys in it flip 15 feet up into the air, tumbling over. I've jumped from a moving truck, which kept on rolling down a hill to kill a goat. The list goes on and on.

One thing I may have missed in the tutorial, is there a way to switch between grenades and molotovs? Or is it an either/or situation?

chespace

Diseased Yak said:
Totally agree. I'm right at 5 hours in, and I've just been doing missions for the firearms store guy and a bunch of the cellular tower assassination missions. I fucking LOVE those, they are so much fun. If they game was nothing but that kind of mission I'd still love it.

Nearly every firefight has some craziness that goes on. I've seen grenade explosions blow a guy through a window, I've seen a truck with 2 guys in it flip 15 feet up into the air, tumbling over. I've jumped from a moving truck, which kept on rolling down a hill to kill a goat. The list goes on and on.

One thing I may have missed in the tutorial, is there a way to switch between grenades and molotovs? Or is it an either/or situation?

F key switches grenades on PC.

R key switches map modes.

Tain

Is anybody playing the 360 version in 1280x1024? Can someone tell me if it's the widescreen 720p image with black bars or just an upscaled full screen image?

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
chespace said:
F key switches grenades on PC.

R key switches map modes.

Awesome, thank you! Knew about the map thing but for whatever reason totally spaced on the grenades, and I swear I didn't see it in the keymap, but I'm blind to things like that sometimes.

I, too, hope you can upgrade weapons. Stuff like the single-shot grenade launcher only having 3 max ammo, it would be cool if we could upgrade carrying capacity with a bandoleer or some such.

Zeliard said:
You guys should turn the music off. The ambience is amazing.
yep, plus you can hear enemy banter far more clearly, and of course you don't get that annoying "DRUMS FOR 10 SECONDS ok now we're cool again" every time you stealth kill someone.

also why did noone tell me what the flare gun is for? it's for FIRE, FIRE EVERYWHERE BURN IT ALL.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Stitch said:
because it is
one level in crysis has more animals than the whole world in far cry 2

Yeah, it's such a large map and barely any wildlife. Just seems like a very odd omission. All that water and they couldn't throw in some crocs?

Ledsen said:

I won't either. It's got a great map with barely anything going on in it. More wildlife, less respawning machine gun jeeps please.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Ok, I installed it on my desktop with setting at ultra-high. I get a fairly consistent 35fps that dips down into the high twenties during crazy stuff. Fuck this game is awesome!

zon

So, earlier today I got stuck in a firefight with a bunch of enemies and I was hiding behind my car, picking them off as fast as I could. Then two jeeps came right at me so I blew up the first jeep (and my own car by accident). The dudes in the second jeep jumped out so I killed them too and then I hid behind the jeep that was still working so I could heal myself without getting shot at. I started to move away (sneaking) from the car because I didn't want it to get blown up and I was trying to flank the enemies that were still left. I had already bought the camo suit so that helped me sneak away without getting spotted.

So when I finally got behind the ones that were still alive, and as I was about to kill them, I heard a weird noise, like someone had just thrown a grenade. "Nah, must be my imagination" I thought, and three seconds later I get to see the second jeep blow up too. I had to walk to the nearest bus station after that :|

WrikaWrek

Banned
This game crashes a lot.

H4870
Vista 64 bit up to date
quad core

I hate when games crash. It's a pitty, because i've been recently playing DMC4, and that didn't crash once. This game has already crashed on me about 10 times.

dk_

zon said:
So, earlier today I got stuck in a firefight with a bunch of enemies and I was hiding behind my car, picking them off as fast as I could. Then two jeeps came right at me so I blew up the first jeep (and my own car by accident). The dudes in the second jeep jumped out so I killed them too and then I hid behind the jeep that was still working so I could heal myself without getting shot at. I started to move away (sneaking) from the car because I didn't want it to get blown up and I was trying to flank the enemies that were still left. I had already bought the camo suit so that helped me sneak away without getting spotted.

So when I finally got behind the ones that were still alive, and as I was about to kill them, I heard a weird noise, like someone had just thrown a grenade. "Nah, must be my imagination" I thought, and three seconds later I get to see the second jeep blow up too. I had to walk to the nearest bus station after that :|
This happened to my a bunch of times.

So tell me about the camo suit. Can you just use it for a period of time? Are fully invisible?

WrikaWrek said:
This game crashes a lot.

H4870
Vista 64 bit up to date
quad core

I hate when games crash. It's a pitty, because i've been recently playing DMC4, and that didn't crash once. This game has already crashed on me about 10 times.
Go try the console version. No crash so far...

Cj70

Loving the game (360 vers), took me a wee while to get into it but its good fun and I needed a good FPS. The grenade launcher is awesome :D

Can't believe i'm saying this but the auto reload is actually annoying me, wish you could turn it off.

Not tried the multiplayer, it any good?

zon

dk_ said:
This happened to my a bunch of times.

So tell me about the camo suit. Can you just use it for a period of time? Are fully invisible?

Go try the console version. No crash so far...

The way I understand it is that when you've bought it you will be wearing it for the rest of the game. It makes you less visible when you're sneaking in grass and near invisible when you're just sitting in the grass. I've had one enemy that walked by me only one or two meters away and he kept on walking.

dk_

zon said:
The way I understand it is that when you've bought it you will be wearing it for the rest of the game. It makes you less visible when you're sneaking in grass and near invisible when you're just sitting in the grass. I've had one enemy that walked by me only one or two meters away and he kept on walking.
Nice. I think I'm gonna buy this one.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Did anyone pick this up at gamestop? What was the special packaging?

I did and coulden't find a code anywhere. I looked online to see where it may be located, and found some sites that give out working codes.

WrikaWrek said:
This game crashes a lot.

H4870
Vista 64 bit up to date
quad core

Many with 4870 and 4870x2s and Vista 64 including myself are having problems with the game crashing to the desktop with no error message. Current solution is F5 :p.

Nizz

Tkawsome said:
I did and coulden't find a code anywhere. I looked online to see where it may be located, and found some sites that give out working codes.
I think you may have done the same thing I had. I also got the PS3 pre-order edition from GS and I tore the shrink wrap off not realizing I had thrown the code out along with it. newsguy was the one who told me I had thrown the code out. It was a little, stamp sized sticker on the corner of the package. I dug into the garbage (mostly paper in the garbage) and luckily, I found it...

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Did anyone pick this up at gamestop? What was the special packaging?
It's a slip cover over the original packaging and artwork. Sort of like Bioshock's packaging. I was worried that the cover art in the game case was gonna have GS's name plastered up front but it didn't.

im at 46 percent of the game. im suppose to meet this guy name hakim echebbi but he is standing over the water like jesus christ and i cant talk to him:lol

okrim

Banned
HybridXL said:
thank you. god, i dont get the deal with the graphics.
i had the ps3 version and i considered it to look really bad , like nowhere near as good as people are making it up to be.

i returned it for bioshock and living happy now.
WHAT?

TTG

I encourage everyone to try the flare gun. Best secondary weapon if you just want to cause some mayhem. Not only does take out people in one shot, it will always start a fire and/or blow up cars. :lol

chespace

njp142 said:
Many with 4870 and 4870x2s and Vista 64 including myself are having problems with the game crashing to the desktop with no error message. Current solution is F5 :p.

YUP.

F5 is your friend in this game, no thanks to the suicidal truck teleportation trick.

Zzoram

Do those wall medpacks regenerate syrettes? I'm running low on them. Do you have to sleep a day for them to regenerate?

Zeliard

Btw, NVidia users, definitely download and install the newest beta drivers. It's specifically made for FC2 and I got a nice, free 5 FPS boost from it. Very stable so far as well.

WrikaWrek

Banned
njp142 said:

Yeah, F5 on speed dial.

I installed the Hotfix Ati Drivers for Far Cry 2 though, and the game hasn't crashed since.

BeeDog

Zzoram said:
Do those wall medpacks regenerate syrettes? I'm running low on them. Do you have to sleep a day for them to regenerate?

A clue to when you can pick up new medpacks is when the soldiers have respawned at the outpost. So yeah, they get restocked all the time.

chespace

Zzoram said:

Those wall boxes give you full syrettes.

Trust me, syrettes are everywhere. Every time you see an outpost, get out of your car and look around.

Ledsen

Stitch said:
because it isn't. it's like gta without civillians and every few seconds the police comes and try's to arrest you.

Well... okay. If that's how you see it. All I can say is "So what?". Look at the trees, look at the sun, look at the sand, look at the foliage blowing in the wind, look at Africa. Personally, I know the feeling of amazement I get from the environments, the "Oh shit, oh SHIT this is beautiful" moment I experience every time I start the game (and constantly while playing) will last me at least the 30-50 hours I expect to spend with this game.

Zzoram

Ledsen said:
Well... okay. If that's how you see it. All I can say is "So what?". Look at the trees, look at the sun, look at the sand, look at the foliage blowing in the wind, look at Africa. Personally, I know the feeling of amazement I get from the environments, the "Oh shit, oh SHIT this is beautiful" moment I experience every time I start the game (and constantly while playing) will last me at least the 30-50 hours I expect to spend with this game.

The problem is, just as you're having your "wow the sun looks nice rising", you get rammed by a Jeep(TM) that spawned 10 metres away from you, and the gunner is killing you with the turret before you even know what direction they came from.

Zeliard

Stitch said:

You're a mercenary in a volatile zone in Africa. What do you expect? The only friends you have are your buddies. Everyone else hates you, and should. You're a mercenary. You go which ever way the diamond-colored wind blows.

Ledsen

Zzoram said:
The problem is, just as you're having your "wow the sun looks nice rising", you get rammed by a Jeep(TM) that spawned 10 metres away from you, and the gunner is killing you with the turret before you even know what direction they came from.

Yeah well, if that hasn't bothered me yet after about 15 hours of playtime, I doubt it ever will. And how do you know they just spawn right next to you? I've never seen anything like that. When I get attacked, in 99% of cases I'm in or right next to a guard post. If not, I can hear them coming from far away and hide in the bushes or get on my own mounted turret.

Top Bottom