• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 2 |OT| of Money, Diamonds, and Military Checkpoints

WrikaWrek

Banned
Zzoram said:
The problem is, just as you're having your "wow the sun looks nice rising", you get rammed by a Jeep(TM) that spawned 10 metres away from you, and the gunner is killing you with the turret before you even know what direction they came from.

That's not even the worst. The worst is being in the middle of nowhere being gunned down from god knows where. It's impressive to hop in the jeep and see Machine gun shots land perfectly on it, 1 min later you finally realize where the the firing is coming from, and it's from a small dot a half a mile away.

The A.I is really bad in this game.

Zeliard

Ledsen said:
Yeah well, if that hasn't bothered me yet after about 15 hours of playtime, I doubt it ever will. And how do you know they just spawn right next to you? I've never seen anything like that. When I get attacked, in 99% of cases I'm in or right next to a guard post.

Me neither. In fact, I can usually see the jeep several feet ahead before they even spot me.

.... and I take care of them.

Same thing with the boats.

You guys should try taking the off-beat path, though. You don't have to drive on the dirt road every time, and that's where all the outposts and jeeps are.

Ledsen

WrikaWrek said:
That's not even the worst. The worst is being in the middle of nowhere being gunned down from god knows where. It's impressive to hop in the jeep and see Machine gun shots land perfectly on it, 1 min later you finally realize where the the firing is coming from, and it's from a small dot a half a mile away.

The A.I is really bad in this game.

That does suck. It's about the only real complaint I have, that guards have cybernetic hyper-scope X-ray eyes and magical laser rifles that can hit you from 5 km.

Zeliard

The A.I. definitely has issues, that is undeniable. Still, I love getting into firefights. It has the most tangible feel of pure survival I've felt in a shooter since the first STALKER. In Crysis, you're basically a superhuman, so there's never that feeling of tension. Although, I will say that FC2's A.I. should give you a whole new appreciation for Crysis'. Ain't easy to program it in an open world, especially the pathfinding and movement over uneven ground.

KrawlMan

Zzoram said:
The problem is, just as you're having your "wow the sun looks nice rising", you get rammed by a Jeep(TM) that spawned 10 metres away from you, and the gunner is killing you with the turret before you even know what direction they came from.

I've never been killed by a any vehicle running over me. They give you a huge warning with the amount of revving they do before they approach you.

Not once in this game have I felt like the AI was cheap, it just challenges you to stay on your toes and kill them before they can reach you.

Ledsen

Zeliard said:
The A.I. definitely has issues, that is undeniable. Still, I love getting into firefights. It has the most tangible feel of pure survival I've felt in a shooter since the first STALKER. In Crysis, you're basically a superhuman, so there's never that feeling of tension. Although, I will say that FC2's A.I. should give you a whole new appreciation for Crysis'. Ain't easy to program it in an open world, especially the pathfinding and movement over uneven ground.

It's especially hilarious when enemies try to drive through the jungle or areas with lots of buildings/obstacles :lol

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
How big are save files for FC2?

I've been spamming F5 to make the game more tolerable in terms of random encounters but I don't want to bloat my HDD.

EDIT: Nevermind. They're about 2.5 to 3 megs each.

Cool.

Ledsen

Oh, I have a few questions

1. What are the "special missions"? I get a letter icon on the map (same place every time), I go there, I pick up a piece of paper, the letter icon disappears. I must've missed some piece of dialogue because I have no idea what this is.

2. Where can I find the journalist to give tapes to? He's not at Mike's :(

3. How do I get new buddies? My friend told me he found a buddy in a downed plane somewhere. Do I have to search all over or will I get missions? Or can I not have more than three buddies at the same time and one of them has to die in order for me to get a new one?

Zzoram

Part of my problem with the jeeps may have been because I was listening to 1UPYours while playing. I never heard them coming.

I tend to always be listening to podcasts in windows media player in games, and press the pause media button on my keyboard whenever I approach a dialogue section of the game.

ezekial45

Banned
Am i playing a different game or something? I've been through about two hours worth of gameplay so far, and i've gotta say that this is one of the most frustrating games i've ever played. I'm have the PS3 version and it's been an absolute chore playing this. The game just feels slow to me. Not to mention the controls seems sluggish as hell. I try to avoid most fire fights between missions because of this. Does it get a little better at some point? Or did you guys like it from the beginning.

Zeliard

Zzoram said:
Part of my problem with the jeeps may have been because I was listening to 1UPYours while playing. I never heard them coming.

I tend to always be listening to podcasts in windows media player in games, and press the pause media button on my keyboard whenever I approach a dialogue section of the game.

I often have the TV on while playing PC games, but I leave it on mute or turn it off for Far Cry 2. I love the ambience. The sound design might be superior to Crysis', which has incredible ambient sound design.

The voice mix is too damn low, though. Anyone else have that issue?

Zzoram

ezekial45 said:
Am i playing a different game or something? I've been through about two hours worth of gameplay so far, and i've gotta say that this is one of the most frustrating games i've ever played. I'm have the PS3 version and it's been an absolute chore playing this. The game just feels slow to me. Not to mention the controls seems sluggish as hell. I try to avoid most fire fights between missions because of this. Does it get a little better at some point? Or did you guys like it from the beginning.

Actually most people hated it from the beginning, and found it got better over time, as they adapted to the terrible game design decisions, and unlocked better guns.

They really need to patch down the jeep/road block enemy spawn rate, or ideally a slider in-game to control the rate, for the odd person who likes being punished.

Zeliard

ezekial45 said:

Most people agree that Far Cry 2 starts off poorly, especially since the tutorial is overly lengthy and uneventful, but once everything opens up and you start getting some better weapons the game improves by a large amount.

I'm 99% positive there are no enemy spawns. I just did the gold mission in the rocky desert and scouted the area extensively before going loud. It was near 1:1 enemies that came for me and the overflow that I encountered must have came from a nearby encampment. As soon as everyone was dead I went to the encampment 300 meters away and lo and behold, no enemies there at all.

Also, jeeps do not spawn near you. There are defined jeep paths in the world that recon certain areas. If you are within earshot and firing bullets they WILL come after you. You think it is spawning because it is near impossible to track everyone in the dense brush and also the range of noise is quite far encouraging others to join the fight.

As for animals, I've seen loads in and around the savannahs. In the dense jungle I hardly see any. Probably because Zebras don't hang out there. I'd be pissed if this was a animal sim and they had an impact to gameplay but since they are window dressing and have 0 sum impact I don't care.

I've also scoped snipers from a few clicks away and they have no clue I'm looking their way.

The game is stunning looking for the most part. I'm playing the 360 version and in certain places in certain times of the day it is one of the most impressive games I've ever seen on the console.

And yeah, what mercenary would take a direct road toward their target they are going to take down?

Zzoram

Zeliard said:
I often have the TV on while playing PC games, but I leave it on mute or turn it off for Far Cry 2. I love the ambience. The sound design might be superior to Crysis', which has incredible ambient sound design.

I really dislike the voice acting in this game. Every line is totally flat and rushed. I read the subtitles and notice how there is no punctuation when they speak. It's like they put the voice actors in a box, gave them a script, and gave them 20 minutes to read 10 pages of lines into a mic, then poorly cut them up.

Zeliard

Zzoram said:
I really dislike the voice acting in this game. Every line is totally flat and rushed. I read the subtitles and notice how there is no punctuation when they speak. It's like they put the voice actors in a box, gave them a script, and gave them 20 minutes to read 10 pages of lines into a mic, then poorly cut them up.

Can't disagree with that. The voice acting is horrid. The only one that comes off remotely decent is the Jackal. I thought the Russian guy did, too, but upon going back and playing some more... he's just as bad as the rest.

There are still several buddies I haven't seen or heard from, though.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
Zeliard said:

Especially when "overhearing" conversations from the faction leaders as you climb the stairs, absolutely. It's not so bad face-to-face, though.

What's more annoying about the voice work is that the seemed to speed it up - everyoneistalkinglikethis. It drives me nuts, especially since The Jackal is the only one who doesn't seem to speak that way.

Zzoram

Warm Machine said:
I'm 99% positive there are no enemy spawns.

You are still wrong. When you clear out a road block and the jeep along that road, move futher down that road to kill your target, then head back, the road block is repopulated, and the patrol jeep is there again. This is less than 10 minutes later. If there were no enemy spawns, you could keep clearing out road blocks until every enemy in the game has wandered over to man that road block, seeing how there always seems to be 3 guards there again whenever you had back to it.

Haunted

Wait, even my new weapons I bought online will deteriorate over time? But I can replace them from the armory without having to buy them again, right?

Right?

I don't have that many diamonds, and I noticed my trusty AK-47 is not as shiny as it once was. Damn that one time I had to jump into the river to lose my followers! :(

Erebus

Zzoram said:
You are still wrong. When you clear out a road block and the jeep along that road, move futher down that road to kill your target, then head back, the road block is repopulated, and the patrol jeep is there again. This is less than 10 minutes later. If there were no enemy spawns, you could keep clearing out road blocks until every enemy in the game has wandered over to man that road block, seeing how there always seems to be 3 guards there again whenever you had back to it.

Well, maybe the enemies are really quick and return to the roadblock during the 10 minutes you were away killing the main target.:lol That's not considered an enemy spawn, is it? :lol

Zzoram said:

That isn't what I meant by spawns. I meant in a place with X number of enemies the X doesn't seem to change unless others join the fight from a nearby area. Yes the guard posts respawn after you drive away and return, that is a given, but I don't think enemies magically appear out of thin air in a fire fight.

Ledsen

Haunted said:
Wait, even my new weapons I bought online will deteriorate over time? But I can replace them from the armory without having to buy them again, right?

Right?

I don't have that many diamonds, and I noticed my trusty AK-47 is not as shiny as it once was. Damn that one time I had to jump into the river to lose my followers! :(

Yes.

Haunted said:

Right?

Everything you buy reappears in the building beside the weapon store so it is always available.

Zzoram

Warm Machine said:
That isn't what I meant by spawns. I meant in a place with X number of enemies the X doesn't seem to change unless others join the fight from a nearby area. Yes the guard posts respawn after you drive away and return, that is a given, but I don't think enemies magically appear out of thin air in a fire fight.

That is still spawning, it's just not as blatantly awful. I think Oblivion had the right idea with an open world, sparsely populated with pockets of enemies that only respawn after 3 in-game days, which worked out to be several hours of real time.

Zeliard

The physicality in the game is so awesome. How everything is done in first-person. Fixing your injuries, popping malaria pills, reloading and unjamming weapons, sliding in feet first into the driver's seat when you're on the turret, etc. It's all great. Really great.

A lot of people seem to hate the malaria/gun jamming features, but I love them. It's unique and adds a lot of tension to each firefight.

The graphics have also grown on me by a tremendous amount. Even the arm/gun models don't look that bad to me now. The only thing I don't like is the lighting during nighttime. It's not that it's too dark, it's just... not right. I can't really find the words to describe it, but I assume you guys know what I mean. I hope a mod or config tweak fixes that.

Zzoram

Zeliard said:
The physicality in the game is so awesome. How everything is done in first-person. Fixing your injuries, popping malaria pills, reloading and unjamming weapons, sliding in feet first into the driver's seat when you're on the turret, etc. It's all great. Really great.

A lot of people seem to hate the malaria/gun jamming features, but I love them. It's unique and adds a lot of tension to each firefight.

The graphics have also grown on me by a tremendous amount. Even the arm/gun models don't look that bad to me now. The only thing I don't like is the lighting during nighttime. It's not that it's too dark, it's just... not right. I can't really find the words to describe it, but I assume you guys know what I mean. I hope a mod or config tweak fixes that.

I like the bullet pulling and jamming, I do NOT like the malaria.

Oh, and on the bullet pulling animations, but they aren't associated with any real injury. For example, I was injured, so I started to pull at a bullet in my hand. However, I was shot while doing this, and it interrupted. When I tried again, it started to pull a bullet from my knee. I got interrupted again, and then I started to wrap my other arm.

It would be better if you could get one of 2 critical injuries, and the animation matched the actual injury you suffered. Leg injury should slow your walking, and arm injury make it so you can't use your iron sights or zoom. That would be a lot better, and actually make some sense.

chespace

I think I'm getting into a groove with FC2 now. Lots of F5, sniping, silent sniping, and silent makarov FTW.

Also, I am now officially a boatman. Makes this game so much more pleasant and less frustrating when there are no jeeps that run up to you. Plus, you can snipe folks from boats from a mile away.

Zzoram said:
That is still spawning, it's just not as blatantly awful. I think Oblivion had the right idea with an open world, sparsely populated with pockets of enemies that only respawn after 3 in-game days, which worked out to be several hours of real time.

That pretty much has to happen though given the size of the areas. You could pick your way throught the game in a few hours killing off every guard post until there are no more enemies left at all and then running the missions after that. They do it to keep the routes dangerous and the player engaged. I think they also want to teach you to not use the roads unless absolutely necessary which is why they fortify them every few kilometers.

chespace said:
Also, I am now officially a boatman. Makes this game so much more pleasant and less frustrating when there are no jeeps that run up to you.

This as well, boats are the safest way to go. Just don't think you can get by the "Private Property" without a serious firefight breaking out.

Zzoram

ezekial45 said:
Is there any real difference between the characters? Besides their arms. I picked Warren, btw.

As far as I can tell, it's just the arm tattoos that change. Well, that and who your buddies are I guess, but the buddies all fill the same roles.

Zeliard

Zzoram said:
I like the bullet pulling and jamming, I do NOT like the malaria.

Oh, and on the bullet pulling animations, but they aren't associated with any real injury. For example, I was injured, so I started to pull at a bullet in my hand. However, I was shot while doing this, and it interrupted. When I tried again, it started to pull a bullet from my knee. I got interrupted again, and then I started to wrap my other arm.

It would be better if you could get one of 2 critical injuries, and the animation matched the actual injury you suffered. Leg injury should slow your walking, and arm injury make it so you can't use your iron sights or zoom. That would be a lot better, and actually make some sense.

What's wrong with the malaria? It gives you a bit more attachment to the character and offers a whole new set of objectives when you have to go get more pills. When you're in a fight and the symptoms pop up, it adds an "oh shit" dimension to it.

As far as the injuries, I don't disagree. Those would be great additions, but it's fine as it is now. When you're down to your last bar, your health starts slowing depleting, so you have to go quickly find cover and fix your injury or you're fucked. Just another thing that adds more tension to the fights, which in my view is a good thing.

chespace said:
I think I'm getting into a groove with FC2 now. Lots of F5, sniping, silent sniping, and silent makarov FTW.

Also, I am now officially a boatman. Makes this game so much more pleasant and less frustrating when there are no jeeps that run up to you. Plus, you can snipe folks from boats from a mile away.

Yeah, people need to use the boats more. They're a pretty quick way to travel, and you see enemy boats down a ways and can snipe them.

It's also visually gorgeous, watching the shadows from the trees and such move over your boat in real-time.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
this game is cool n' all, but i have to say.

After playing Fable II, Getting dicked around in Far Cry 2 with very similar maneuvers (respawning enemies, back tracking, manage this...and that while managing this as well [fuck you malaria], go to A B C D E F G and then finish up at H and get back at me for info on I) is starting to seriously annoy me.

Zzoram

Zeliard said:
What's wrong with the malaria? It gives you a bit more attachment to the character and offers a whole new set of objectives when you have to go get more pills. When you're in a fight and the symptoms pop up, it adds an "oh shit" dimension to it.

As far as the injuries, I don't disagree. Those would be great additions, but it's fine as it is now. When you're down to your last bar, your health starts slowing depleting, so you have to go quickly find cover and fix your injury or you're fucked. Just another thing that adds more tension to the fights, which in my view is a good thing.

Yeah, people need to use the boats more. They're a pretty quick way to travel, and you see enemy boats down a ways and can snipe them.

I'm just worried that the malaria puts an artificial time limit on you. If you keep running out of pills, you have to keep doing those missions for more, and can't just dick around as much.

I don't know for sure yet though, since I haven't run out of pills, but I get the impression that I will.

chespace

And also... D00D, GAME LOOKS GOOD. Breathtaking at times, especially when the wind is blowing hard and there's a storm on the horizon.

Too bad the evening lighting looks kinda flat.

I recommend everyone take to the rivers. You find all sorts of neat little settlements along the banks to ANNIHILATE. Plus, no suicidal jeeps. Right now, I'm on the Tom Sawyer path to an assassination.

chespace said:
Too bad the evening lighting looks kinda flat.

Yeah I agree. I skip night when I can. If they had just gone day for night style and kept the shadows as if from the light of the moon it would have looked better. By taking out the shadows are relying solely on their SH ambient lighting they kill the most visually interesting and impressive part of the game.

BTW, I love when it starts to rain especially when you are getting close to your objective. Adds to the mood and atmosphere so much.

Ledsen

Zzoram said:
I'm just worried that the malaria puts an artificial time limit on you. If you keep running out of pills, you have to keep doing those missions for more, and can't just dick around as much.

I don't know for sure yet though, since I haven't run out of pills, but I get the impression that I will.

In my current game (I had to restart once) I've played about 12 hours according to the in-game statistics page. I've run out of pills once. I get the feeling that it's either controlled by main story progress or just very, very infrequent.

Zzoram

madmook said:
Convert to jpg, Che! I dunno why this dumb game saves in png format.

png is higher quality, so they look better. jpg adds artifacts that make them look worse, and that's bad advertisement, and bad for people wanting to take full resolution wallpaper shots.

Nikorasu

Zzoram said:

Malaria fits become much less frequent as time goes on. As your malaria subsides you are also able to sprint longer distances.

Yeah, nighttime really looks flat and uninteresting. If the moon actually cast a subtle light would fix everything. Even when stars are out the sky just looks black unless you really stare at it. Not atmospheric at all. Crysis and STALKER had wonderful nights, especially Clear Sky. In Crysis everything was bathed in moonlight. In Clear Sky, its just DARK. You could see the stars but the world was almost pitch black which made navigating the wilderness by flashlight very unnerving and tense.

FC2 is just boring. :(

chespace

png works in IE too. :p

I am using it right now.

Anyway, game just crashed, which brings me back to the desktop, and GAF. :p

So I tried switching up my arsenal since I had some extra diamonds. I bought the silenced MP5. What a POS. Inaccurate and takes almost a whole clip to drop someone at mid-range.

Fuck that. Back to my bolt-action sniper rifle and silenced pistol action.

chespace

madmook said:
What does this mean? I am indeed using IE6... I was referring to the 7 & 8 meg filesizes of those png pics Che posted.

Shit, sorry. Didn't realize those were 7 and 8 meg images!

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I liked the music, but it is indeed so much better when off.

I just tried to ambush a convoy, and was ducked in cover...and right when I was ready to fire my RPG, a deer got right in front of me and blocked the shot. Then the convoy killed me.

DAMN YOU WILDLIFE! *cries*

This game is awesome.

TTG

Phone tower missions seem to be the best for getting diamonds quickly. 10 at a time for relatively simple assassinations.

The more I play this game the more I'm thinking it just has a steep adjustment time/learning curve. I'm finding that I'm almost never in situations where I'm out gunned or my plans go to shit as soon as I open fire... then again I haven't been using the sniper rifle much at all against large groups of enemies.

VALIS

Warm Machine said:
That pretty much has to happen though given the size of the areas. You could pick your way throught the game in a few hours killing off every guard post until there are no more enemies left at all and then running the missions after that. They do it to keep the routes dangerous and the player engaged. I think they also want to teach you to not use the roads unless absolutely necessary which is why they fortify them every few kilometers.

Nah, what they should've done was have a time limit for a guard post to get restocked, somewhere between 6 and 24 hours. Then you never clear the map and make it too easy on yourself, but at least you can catch a little break from the guard post monotony.

Top Bottom