• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 2 |OT| of Money, Diamonds, and Military Checkpoints

KrawlMan

SDZeta said:
That stream is very nice. People who want to look at how the game plays should check it out!

Yeah, this stream is running great. I started to watch for a minute or so, then decided to shut it down...I already know the game looks amazing, ill just save the experience for next week when i get it :p

Mohonky

KrawlMan said:
Yeah, this stream is running great. I started to watch for a minute or so, then decided to shut it down...I already know the game looks amazing, ill just save the experience for next week when i get it :p

I just watched it for a second, guy jumped in a jeep and started driving off while looking at the map, then a Zebra ran across the screen so he ran it down. So mean, yet I still lol'd.

itxaka

Defeatist
I was watching other stream and the game looked like shit.

The guy had to pull up the map every 5 minutes because you don't get any indication of where are you going without it.
Also, it was asking every fucking time about saving, does this game has autosaving and the guy disable it or its like that?

Also, he was looking for a diamond and from fucking nowhere a jeep appeared and killed him. Guess what? you gotta start from your last save, but as the game does not ask about saving when you get a diamond, the guy just lost about 15 diamons. Then at that point he stopped played. I can understand why.

Nizz

Good stream, but the guy is playing at the dead of night in-game. I can't see anything! :lol
Looking good though..

itxaka

Defeatist
oh god, that stream makes the game look incredible boring. Map every few seconds + long rides on a slow car? Does something happens in those road trips or something?

this is slipping of my radar really quick.

Any word on the autosave thing?

Also, can you change so the GPS screen does not rotate? It makes me dizzy, 1 of the maps moving around all the time while the other next to it is quiet.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
itxaka said:
oh god, that stream makes the game look incredible boring. Map every few seconds + long rides on a slow car? Does something happens in those road trips or something?
Call me incredibly crazy, but I find that really appealing. Being lost in a foreign wilderness doing whatever you want to plan out just sounds awesome to me.

chubigans said:
Call me incredibly crazy, but I find that really appealing. Being lost in a foreign wilderness doing whatever you want to plan out just sounds awesome to me.

I was going to mention Stalker myself. Going it slow and steady across a sandbox world is quite appealing to me. Not that I'm saying Far Cry 2 is going to be as good as Stalker was.

Nizz

chubigans said:
Yep, this kind of stuff I like. That's what grabbed me about Half Life 2. Those stretches where you were alone in this strange world (in HL 2's case, a weird version of Earth). Some people might have thought the airboat ride was kind of boring but I enjoyed just driving around and discovering the world. I've got the PS3 version of Far Cry 2 paid in full already. Anxious to get my hands on it...

itxaka

Defeatist
chubigans said:

Yeah, I don't know. My pro-order is still there, maybe when I got hands on the game is different but it feels really empty, like there is nothing special in between point A and B but 4 or 5 guys to kill.

chubigans said:
It took me many, many hours to realise it, but this is all I found compelling about Oblivion. The idea of trekking up a hill for five minutes, then taking out my binoculars and planning an assault down the other side is weirdly exciting to me. :lol

Kuroyume

Banned
Watching Far Cry 2 stream...

The guy gets in a car and drives over a bridge trying to run over an enemy and the enemy just stands there shooting. He just runs over him.

Tomcat

The game technically on the 360 is awesome. But there some gameplay mechanics i dont like.
The map as you can see on the stream sucks. Especially when you are getting chased and you want to look at it to see where are you going. Many times i took the wrong turn
Not enough bus stops for such a big map. Only 4 and there is a big loading screen when u are using them.
Every time you are going somewhere you are going to be attacked from patrols with jeeps. Its getting on my nerves

Zzoram

Tomcat said:
The game technically on the 360 is awesome. But there some gameplay mechanics i dont like.
The map as you can see on the stream sucks. Especially when you are getting chased and you want to look at it to see where are you going. Many times i took the wrong turn
Not enough bus stops for such a big map. Only 4 and there is a big loading screen when u are using them.
Every time you are going somewhere you are going to be attacked from patrols with jeeps. Its getting on my nerves

It sounds like they did what a lot of people wanted Oblivion to do, have a large open world without fast travel. Fast travel is pretty divisive. On the one hand, you can go anywhere fast. On the other, it really takes you out of the world if you can just teleport around.

I like the idea of fast travel between major hubs (it sounds like Farcry 2 has bus stops to do that) and having to travel to all the outer locations yourself. I hope Fallout 3 has also adopted this method of travel, but I suspect there will still be a lot of fast travel in it.

zewone

Tomcat said:
Yep. This game is a huge pain in the ass.

If it had a quick travel system like Oblivion or Fallout 3, I'd probably like it a lot.

Unless it's patched (not likely), I'm going to have to say this game sucks.

sinnergy

zewone said:
Yep. This game is a huge pain in the ass.

If it had a quick travel system like Oblivion or Fallout 3, I'd probably like it a lot.

Unless it's patched (not likely), I'm going to have to say this game sucks.

For you, your opinion etc...

Tr4nce

chubigans said:

Chubi, you took the words right out of my mouth. It's like that one review who kept saying that FarCry 2 could become boring at times, because of the long travel times, but I really don't mind that. Finding your way, and taking your time. Awesome. Hell, the times I just went exploring in SOTC, wow. Good times.

Kibbles

There will be no more live streams from that guy, yesterday ''joliemolie'' from Ubisoft warned him. What you guys are seeing is recorded clips.

Tr4nce said:
Chubi, you took the words right out of my mouth. It's like that one review who kept saying that FarCry 2 could become boring at times, because of the long travel times, but I really don't mind that. Finding your way, and taking your time. Awesome. Hell, the times I just went exploring in SOTC, wow. Good times.
I think people like us are rare in gaming.

"Whaddya mean I have to walk through all this luscious African savannah??!"

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Shake Appeal said:

"Whaddya mean I have to walk through all this luscious African savannah??!"

Exactly, sheesh. I think some of you are missing the point of this game. It's all about exploration in a first-person environment over a large area of the African savanna. I, for one, welcome it with open arms. This is my kind of game. Not having the game pause during a firefight when I pull out a map is perfect in my book.

dLMN8R

Shake Appeal said:
The thing is that all of those bad AI videos - Crysis especially - demonstrate unfortunate glitches and rare weird, random behavior, instead of actually poor AI. For the vast majority of the game, Crysis' AI is pretty damn good. Especially in Warhead. The way enemies work together to root you out, flank you, duck behind cover - they're very active, always moving, and always communicating.

Far Cry 2, doesn't seem that way at all. Unlike Crysis' active, dynamic combat AI, the standard behavior in Far Cry 2 seems to be to stand there and shoot at you. Dodging and flanking seem to be the exception, not the norm.

dLMN8R said:
The thing is that all of those bad AI videos - Crysis especially - demonstrate unfortunate glitches and rare weird, random behavior, instead of actually poor AI.
I agree with you about Crysis. And also Halo 3's AI driving aside (which Bungie joke about themselves), that game is still one of the most impressive shooters in AI terms that I have played.

CoD4's is also a weird glitch, but that game has terrible AI throughout (far worse than what I have seen of Far Cry 2's), and no one seems to care. Everything is highly scripted, enemies always know where you are, and will run and cover to the same location every time you replay a sequence. It's basically a pretty shooting gallery. And the Half-Life 2 vid is absolutely standard for my experience of that game. The bit where he is peeking out of a shaft and shooting the soldiers as they appear in the doorway was exactly how I played it.

I'm pretty sure Far Cry 2 will have weird lapses, and will be far less than impressive compared to the likes of Crysis, Halo, and F.E.A.R.; I'm just saying that people are seemingly desperate to pile on it without considering that the vast majority of shooters out there play just the same or worse (and in linear scripted corridors, no less, let alone a dynamic open world environment!), and it irks me.

f@luS

More than a member.
okrim said:
But far cry 2 for ps3? Anyone has seen something? I don't trust of ubisoft on ps3...

Its more or less the same, it may dips a bit more but not under 25fps so its ok

from gamersyde
"
That's it for today. I will simply add that we couldn't really see any differences between the PS3 and 360
1457_0005.jpg

sammy

Shake Appeal said:

I'll say :D

as soon as i read that there were long "boring" expanses to travel in F2, my interest was peaked to say the least.
I like for an adventure to feel like an adventure ... the only way to do that is to plop me down into a seamless landscape.

Top Bottom